Chapter 1, part 3
1.4k 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The stand-off between Sigulf and the unknown boy caught the attention of nearby onlookers.

“What’s going on here?”

“Isn’t that the 3rd-year’s… And that’s the 1st-year who defeated Penndreic’s heir, isn’t he?”

Soon a small crowd formed, curious about what the ruckus is.

“You wanna get down to business, right?” Sigulf said to the boy. “Then spit it out. I don’t have forever.”

“Hah, talk about uncouth. I guess that’s to be expected from a lowborn.”

“Lowborn…?” Yuu questioned.

“You seemed to be not realizing your position here.” The noble continued. “A 1st-year… A lowborn even! Dared to humiliate… Dared to tarnish the name and reputation of a noble family! Surely you don’t think we’ll pretend that nothing of the such happened, do you?”

‘So it’s something like this, after all.  Figures…’ Sigulf thought.

“But worry not.” The noble rambled on. “We’re actually willing to overlook all this fiasco… Assuming you would grovel before us and be my… personal servant for a year.”

“…that’s totally out of the question, isn’t it?” Yuu commented.

Sigulf was silent for a moment, before he finally said, “Let’s go, Yuu. We’re just wasting our time here.”

“Are you sure? Not going to… Ah, take him head-on?” Yuu asked.

“What’s this? You ignored my goodwill of forgiving you, and decided to turn your tail instead? How unsightly.” The noble taunted him.

“Can’t be helped.” Sigulf responded. “Master did say idiocy is contagious. Especially if it comes from a modern-day palace jester.”

“…I don’t know if it’s a good comeback or not.” Yuu commented.

“You… You sure know how to run your mouth, huh!?”

‘Eeh!? He actually got provoked!?’ Yuu surprised at the noble’s fury.

“You two! Get him!”

With the noble’s command, two boys came charging at Sigulf. The white haired boy jumped away, evading their punches.

“Sig-kun!”

“It’s alright. I can handle this.”

“By yourself!? At least let me—“

“Yuu.” Sigulf cut him sternly. “This is my fight. I can’t let unrelated person got involved.”

“…dammit, quite the stubborn one, aren’t you?”

“That, and I know I can take them down anyway. Be it duel or good old fistfight.”

“Don’t get so full of yourself…!” the noble growled. “You! Challenge him to a duel!”

Complying his superior’s order, one of the assailants issued a challenge for Sigulf.

“Here it is…!” Yuu reacted.

“Then—“

“On behalf of Sigulf Hrimgard, I accept your challenge!”

“Huh!?”

Much to everyone’s surprise, someone has intruded their confrontation. Sigulf eyes widened as he recognized her.

‘It’s the Scottish girl! …Alba Hunter wasn’t it?’

“You!” the noble protested. “Who do you think you are!? Outsiders should mind their own business!”

“I’m not just an outsider!” Alba responded. “I am Alba Hunter! The Highland’s Finest! And, soon the whole North Sea!”

“…does the name Hunter rings a bell to you?” the noble whispered to one of his underlings.

“No, Sir. We don’t remember any Hunter dynasties.”

“Yet another commoner, I see…”

“Besides, you!” Alba continued, pointing her finger at the noble. “I could ask the same question! What do you think you are doing, bullying your own underclassman!?”

“I’m not being bullied here.” Sigulf retorted.

“Hah, another loony lowborn! No matter, I’ll gladly teach you to know your place!”

“Bring it on! You’ll regret looking down on— Hm?”

Alba turned around as Sigulf tapped her shoulder.

“What… Are you doing?”

“Huh? You’re going to fight those clowns, right? Then I’ll join!”

“Wha— Who did you call a clown!?” the noble responded, though both Sigulf and Alba ignored him.

“…no. I said, this is my fight.” Sigulf replied to Alba. “Why would you join anyway?”

“What are you saying? If there’s a fight, then it’s a duelist job to join it! Besides, I thought you were getting bullied?”

“I’m not.” He sighed. “Now would you kindly back off and watch from the sidelines? I can deal with them myself, thank you very much.”

“No, no, no, no way! I’ll fight here and—“

“Err, guys? Guuuys.” Yuu interrupted. “You do know you can just fight as a team right?”

Both Sigulf and Alba blinked.

“You can?”

“You don’t know? It’s here on the student’s manual! Just take a look.” Yuu said, showing his Personal Organizer to the two.

“Oh, you’re right!” Alba exclaimed. “I see…”

“Hey, what are you guys doing!? Don’t delay the fight any longer!” their opponent getting impatient.

“Give us a moment!” Yuu replied. “Now, you two get it? Easy, right?”

“I guess so…” Sigulf sighed. “I don’t have any choice, either way.”

Breaking the huddle Sigulf then stepped forward.

“System, requesting to join duel on Alba Hunter’s side.”

At Sigulf’s announcement, Alba grinned.

“Now we’re talking! You hear that? Then let him in!”

“Acknowledged.” The system announced. “Sigulf Hrimgard joins as Alba Hunter’s teammate.”

“What? A 2-on-2 duel?” the noble sounds a bit surprised. “Then… Hey you, accompany him!”

The other boy promptly joins, finalizing the preparation.

“Aaalright, time to run wild!” Alba exclaimed, all fired up.

“You were on the North Sea exams, weren’t you?” Sigulf suddenly asked.

“Ha, so you finally remembered!”

“No, I don’t. You didn’t even hide the fact that you know my name, though.”

“Ah, that… Wait, you know my name as well!”

“…you actually introduced yourself in front of us. Of course I would know.”

“Oh, right… Well, whatever!”

Sigulf sighed. “You better tell me stuff once we’re done with this.”

“Can’t be helped. You don’t remember, anyway!”

Alba then raised both of her hands and begins chanting, while translucent white aura swirls around her.

‘This is… Non-elemental, just like Amakawa?’ Sigulf thought.

“To be fearless! To be free! To be proud as our song echoes across the highland mountains! Stand tall, Braveheart!”

As Alba finished chanting, an ornate Highland claymore materialized in her hands. She then brought her sword down, getting into combat stance.

‘…what’s going on here? Just by summoning her True Arms, the air around her somehow feels different…’

“Come!” Alba challenged, now with a slightly feral grin on her face.

“Twin axes and a claymore? Hah, how befitting of barbarians!” the noble mocked.

Sigulf ignored him and summoned his Fenrir, followed by the noble’s men. Both sides then fell silent as they wait for the cue.

“En garde.” The system voice announced. “Begin!”

Just as the noble’s henchmen are about to move, both Sigulf and Alba are already jumped in front of them, weapons raised.

“Wha—“

“DE-YAH!!”

Sigulf and Alba brought their weapons down, knocking away the opponents.

“Battle point, down by 35%.”

“Come on!!” Alba shouted.

‘She can move that fast with a claymore…’ Sigulf thought.

“What are you guys doing!?” the noble seemed furious at his lackeys. “Stand up and fight them!”

Even though both of the underlings are clearly unnerved by now, they have no choice but to charge at Sigulf and Alba once again.

“Trying the same trick again!?” Alba shouted as she held her claymore horizontally. She then stepped forward, catching their opponents by surprise and succeeding in her sword bash. “Now!”

With her cue, Sigulf jumped over from behind Alba and brought his Fenrir down.

“Gahh…!”

“Battle point, down by 20%.”

Sigulf struck both of the opponents simultaneously, knocking them away.

“Come on, you’re making this too easy!” Alba taunted.

“Impudent wretches…!” the noble growled.

Meanwhile, the crowd got even bigger as the fight goes on. Joining them is Arthfael Penndreic, who just realized what’s going on.

“This is…! Hey, you! What’s the meaning of this!?” Arthfael asked furiously at the noble.

“Penndreic!? Can’t you see!? We’re taking back the nobility’s lost honor!”

“I want nothing of this! I can settle this on my own terms!”

“Silence! It’s your fault in the first place!” the noble accused him. “You lost to this punk! Now, you should just stand back—”

“Aargh!”

The lackeys’ scream cut the noble off as they went flying through the air once more.

“Oi…” Alba addressed him. “This ain’t the time to indulge in your ego. We’re tearing through your chumps as we speak!”

“Guh…!” the noble slightly panicked as he realized his duelists are down to 20% battle points.

“S, sir, they are too strong!”

“What are you saying!? The duel’s not over yet!”

“Tch, what a waste of time…” Sigulf mumbled. “Limiter: Laedingr, release.”

“Oh?” Alba seemed intrigued at Sigulf’s action.

As his Fenrir glows pale blue once more, Sigulf wasted no time, instantly charging towards the noble’s men. By the time they managed to stand up, Sigulf’s axes are already right in front of them.

“Give it up.”

Again, Sigulf struck both of his opponents at the same time, this time with a loud crash.

“Battle point 0. Cannot continue duel.”

“Useless imbeciles…!” the noble cursed at the loss of his men.

Alba, meanwhile, simply whistled at the spectacle. “I see… A strength and speed boost, huh? Wild.”

Standing straight, Sigulf glared at the noble right at his eyes.

“So, are we going to continue this charade?” he growled.

“…curse you, lowly commoner!”

21