Chapter 3, part 7
610 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Later that day, when Sigulf finally reports to Laine, she raised her eyebrow slightly.

“Well, I did say you could handle it by yourself,” she commented. “But I never thought you would actually slug him on the face.”

“…oops?”

“Well, it can’t be helped against them. Just don’t snap against our guests from Pacific.”

“Oh, we’re in charge of them?”

“Together with the official security team, that is. So don’t forget that, a’ight?”

“Yes, Ma’am. I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Aaand, that’s it for today. Dismissed.”

“Good work, Brother.” Lindorm added. “See you tomorrow.”

———

Night falls, and Sigulf, just got out from shower, lies in his bed.

‘Considering those bunch, it’s safe to put them on low priority… Right?’ he thought, recalling his encounter with the noble.

He redirects his attention to his phone, after which he stared at the screen in silence.

‘…and just like that, I got everyone’s numbers. Celina’s number included. Easily.’

Sigulf suddenly gets a bit red.

‘Is it really OK for me to have it!? …wait, wait, wait, calm down. And don’t even think of sending some useless chit-chat.’ He mentally reprimanded himself.

But not long after, his phone vibrates. Seeing the sender’s name made him a bit excited.

“To every member of the Council,” the message begins. “Good work for today. I’m looking forward to work with all of you tomorrow. Student Council President, Celina Bartram.”

‘Ah, I should’ve expected something like this.’ he thought. ‘…then again, it reads funny. Did she just want to send encouragement messages? I wonder if she’ll keep doing it…’

He paused for a while before finally making up his mind.

‘Damn, it won’t hurt just to reply, will it!?’ Sigulf thought, slightly upset while typing his message.

“Thank you, and likewise, good work for today. I too will do my best.” His message reads.

‘…this is good enough, isn’t it?’ he thought, slightly embarrassed before sending it. Whether she reads or responds is another story.

Setting his phone aside, his consciousness slowly drifts away.

———

The next morning, on the classroom…

“Eeh!? You got attacked yesterday!?”

“Well, yeah, during my patrol—“

“Why didn’t you tell me!? I want to beat down some nobles!”

“Oi, oi… And it was more of a personal fisticuff.”

During his way, Sigulf earned curious looks from fellow students, which piqued Alba and Yuu’s concern.

“But I see. If that how it goes, then I guess that’s quite a relief.” The Japanese boy commented. “They basically have lost the will to reinforce their position on a grander scale.”

“Aww, but I have rested for too long…” Alba lamented. “Me and my claymore are itching for a good fight!”

“What do you mean too long, it’s not even three days yet…” Sigulf retorted. “And don’t purposely stir some chaos just to find some good duels.”

“I, I won’t go that far! …maybe.”

“Oi…”

“Ugh, my apologies… If only I was there, I could have helped in some way.” Arthfael suddenly joined.

“No, that’s why I said it’s nothing big. I handled him myself. Why are you apologizing anyway?”

“I did nothing the first time around, and I’ve been thinking to atone for it.”

“You… Got quite the hero syndrome, don’t you?”

“I don’t quite get the ‘hero syndrome’ here, but as I aspire to be a knight, then that’s the natural thing to do.”

“The Chivalry Code, huh…”

“You could say that. Don’t you have something similar? Like Warrior’s Way or—“

“Not that I remember. If anything, being a ‘warrior’, I thought the stereotype is ‘aim at victory at all cost without going outright dishonorable’?”

“Well, I guess so. Sharp in a wild way without being too rogue-ish.”

“That, and,” Sigulf trailed away while eyeing Alba. “This lady over here added ‘Aim high, but never forget your steps and surroundings’.”

“Huh? Isn’t that obvious?” Alba retorted. “And why did that one sounds like you’re being sarcastic?”

“…it wasn’t, though?”

“No, no, pretty sure it’s different from how you talk with… those two.”

“Those two? Oh… Well, with their aura, it can’t be helped—“

“Well sorry for being unrefined, unlike them.” She pouts away.

“…I didn’t say that.”

“Hahaa… Is this jealousy I smell?” Yuu snickered.

“Wha— Why would I!?” Alba screeched at him.

“…Hrimgard, I’m disappointed. That’s not how you treat a lady.” Arthfael commented.

“…and how it’s my fault now?”

———

At lunch break, just as Sigulf was about to leave the class…

“Hey, Siggy, wait up!”

“Huh? What’s the matter?”

Alba caught up and stopped him on the way.

“You’re not going to leave your teammate behind, are you?”

Sigulf looks a bit surprised.

‘Huh, again, this is new…’

“Not going to avoid Chelsea like usual?”

“Ugh… A, at least not this time. She did buy me some food, so…“

“Aah, right, that. I see… Well, feel free to tag along, then.”

Alba’s expression brightens.

“But of course I will!”

Alba skipped her way past Sigulf before turning to him.

“Come on! We don’t want to let our lunch gone cold!” she said with a wide smile.

“Uh, sure. Let’s go.”

‘…she’s being unusually cheerful. But well, I guess it suits her more.’

And when they reached the rooftop, Chelsea’s face lit up upon seeing Alba, causing her to flinch, though she kept her word and stood ground.

Sigulf, meanwhile, nodded at Celina and greeted Celina, “Umm, good afternoon.”

“Good afternoon.” She smiled. “Let’s make our lunch and duties today count.”

‘Ah, did she…?’

“Yes!”

“Besides, I’m pretty sure it was a bit draining after snapping like that.” Celina chuckled wryly.

“…I’ll be more careful next time.”

‘Duh, of course she knew about that too.’

“Well, I’m sure Laine already said something about it.” Chelsea added. “And I heard he attacked you first. So, we can chalk it up as self-defense. Just remember to keep a cool-head in front of our guests, okay?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Alright! Now let’s eat before lunch’s over!”

Opening his lunch, Sigulf took a good look at the three girls in front of him.

“What is it?” Celina asked as she noticed his gaze.

“Ah, it’s nothing.”

‘…I wonder if this is what Amakawa feels with his group.’

Sigulf is silently feeling grateful as he digs into his food. Indeed, it was another pleasant lunch break for them.

———-

After a mostly uneventful class, Sigulf is back on the road with the patrol team. Since it’s the day before weekend, there are obviously more students around, especially the 1st-years.

‘Stay alert. Keep your eyes and ears open. Don’t let up just because it’s almost off-day!’

Recalling Laine’s words, Sigulf carefully observed the area around him while munching a chocolate crepe.

‘Even though the nobles could be considered unimportant, we still have to make sure everything’s safe for our visiting guests. Or something like that.’

On the way, he noticed a pair of students wearing red armband around their left arm. Realizing what it meant, Sigulf gave a slight bow when they faced his way. Smiling, the pair returned the gesture before they went on their own way.

‘So that’s the official Council security. Or was it the disciplinary committee? In any case…’

Sigulf takes a look at his own left sleeve.

‘We’re supposed to be a secret unit, but considering the ruckus surrounding our members in just a week…’ Sigulf mentally lamented, remembering his encounters with the noble leader, as well as Minato’s misfortunes in public.

“Yo, good work there!”

“Hm?”

Someone suddenly calling him made Sigulf look up. Standing in front of him is none other than Walter.

“On a patrol, huh? Where are the others?”

“Paperwork, since yesterday.”

Walter paused for a while before finally letting a loud, “Whaaat!? So—“

“Yeah, it’s just me, Laine and Lindorm. You know, those 2nd-years.”

“Dammit, Amakawa hogs the girls again…!” Walter gritted his teeth. “Wait, but that means he’s—“

Sigulf caught on what Walter’s getting at, and he wasn’t sure whether to growl or sigh. Probably both.

“I know. I can only hope those three can keep him in check. Especially Hestianus or Rosales. And surely there’s no way someone can slip while sitting still?” Sigulf responded, getting uncharacteristically talkative out of irritation.

“What kind of idiot could manage that? But this is Amakawa we’re talking about…”

“…for Loki’s sake.”

“Ah, wait. That’s not what I came here for. When will you guys hold a party again?”

“Party? Oh, most likely next Wednesday. That’s when our trial week ends. Though I don’t know yet how will our final work positions be.”

“Aah, I see, I see. Next week, huh? Don’t forget to invite me too, yeah?”

“Eh, don’t wanna. I’d rather not to get into a conflict with Hestianus. Though, Amakawa probably will do that anyway.”

“Whaaat? You’re not fu— Huh? Wait a minute.” Walter suddenly stopped as if he realized something. “If Amakawa… Then Eury will… Heheheh…”

“…what?”

“Oh, it’s nothing! I’m sorry, you are right. I should wait for Amakawa first. Heheh…”

“If you say so…?”

A group of boys could be heard calling for Walter.

“Oh, crap, it’s almost time! Catch ya later!” he said while leaving for his friends.

“Huh, sure…”

Walter joined his friends and quickly disappeared from his sight.

‘What was that just now?’

———–

For the better or worse, there was nothing of importance to report. Thus the night rolls in, and Sigulf finding himself a bit restless above his bed.

‘I shouldn’t think about it too much, but…’ he mentally lamented. ‘And there’s those representatives from Pacific… But at least I get to practice during the weekends. Speaking of which—’

His phone suddenly vibrates. Sigulf quickly reached for it and opened the message.

‘Oh, so she’s doing it after all.’

He replied with a message similar to yesterday’s before putting it aside, ready to sleep…

…only for it to vibrate again, surprising him.

‘Eh?’

Sigulf got a bit more awake and checks his phone once more.

“Thank you, that was reassuring.” The message from Celina reads. “Don’t forget to sleep earlier. We have some workout to do tomorrow morning, don’t we?”

‘Uooooh!’ Sigulf got excited and a bit red at the same time. ‘…wait, calm down. It’s still too early. Reply, reply…!’

He struggled for minutes before finally settled with, “Yes, Ma’am! Let’s do our best, both Council duties and dueling! Good night!”

‘…uwah, what is this?’ Sigulf hung his head low, though he still sends the message all the same.

“Ufufu, then prepare yourself. Good night!” came another reply.

“…”

Sigulf put away his phone and buried his face in the pillow.

‘…dammit, I’m too excited to get sleepy now.’

11