Chapter 3, part 9
569 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silence fell upon the hill as both Celina and Chelsea finally stopped moving. Sigulf and Alba can only hold their breaths at the spectacle before them and would continue to do so if not for the timely intervention of the system’s beeping.

“A, ah, right. 300 seconds passed. Great work!” Sigulf announced.

The tension between them eased, and both combatants withdrew their Arms.

“Aah, as I expected.” Chelsea laughed. “I can’t catch your movement.”

“What are you saying? You are doing pretty well yourself.” Celina replied with a chuckle. “I can’t get through your defenses either.”

‘Chelsea looks a bit tired, but she did spar first.’ Sigulf thought. ‘And still they managed to be playful on an otherwise intense training…’

He stood up from his place and approached the girls to hand them their water bottles.

“Here.”

“Ah, thank you.” Celina said. “I’m up against you next, right? Should we get started already?”

“Eh? You sure you don’t need some rest?”

“Oh? Getting confident, I see.”

“Err, that wasn’t—“

“Ufufu, I know. That was in jest. Give me 5 minutes, alright?”

“Oh, yeah, sure…”

Meanwhile, Chelsea watches alternately between the two and Alba, who barely moved from her spot. Sighing, she decides to call her.

“Hey, you! The girl over there!”

“Wha— Who, me?”

“Who else?”

Chelsea approached her with a sly grin, making Alba slightly wary.

“What do you want?”

“There’s no need to be that prickly, you know. You are just like a hedgehog sometimes…”

“H, hedgehog?”

“Well, anyways, I’m sure just watching from there is boring. So, how about you spar with me next? What do you say?”

“Huh? Why would I— …hey, wait a minute.”

Alba suddenly went silent and seems to be thinking, earning a curious look from Chelsea.

“…alright, let’s do it. I have to study how you fight, after all.”

“Ah, that’s good to hear.”

“But that doesn’t mean I’ll hold back just because you had 2 sets, alright!? I’ll knock your sorry English ass off!”

“I… Don’t know where or how I should respond to that, but okay.”

———

Another 5 minutes passed, and Sigulf found himself standing around the middle of the hill, this time facing Celina. Not far from them is the pair of Alba and Chelsea.

“So she’s finally up for it.” Sigulf noted. “Are you okay with this?”

“It can’t be helped. I figured someone will find out sooner or later.” Celina responded. “Not to mention Chelsea will probably say something like ‘The more the merrier!’”

“Ahaha, true. That just sounds like her.”

“I can hear you two!” the girl in question retorted.

“Oops.”

“Ufufu… Well then, let’s not waste any more time and get started. Shall we?”

“Alright, let’s do this…!”

Both of them shift into their fighting stance, waiting for the system’s cue.

“…”

It’s been two weeks and an additional two bouts with Celina, yet Sigulf can see his winning chance is only barely rising.

‘But it’s alright.’ He reassured himself. ‘One step at a time. Surpassing should be my endgame. For now, concentrate on improving so I don’t embarrass myself in front of Pacific’s representatives…!’

On almost the same time, Alba watches them silently from her own spot.

“Hey, Miss! Focus!” Chelsea suddenly reprimanded her. “…you won’t win against me like that, you know?”

Having been pulled back to reality, Alba shook her head.

“…right. I should focus on taking you down first!”

“Good, that’s more like it! Suits you better!” Chelsea said with a smile. “Don’t think I will go easy on you though!”

“As if I need a handicap!” Alba retorted, now with an almost feral grin.

When the system’s signal finally came, the 1st-years charged towards the insurmountable walls of their upperclasswomen with burning passion in their hearts.

————

About half an hour or so, after their morning practice has finally wrapped up…

“Uuugh… I’m beat…”

“…was training always this tiring?”

“Now, now, don’t get disheartened. We still have tomorrow.”

The four of them went to have a late breakfast at the usual café.

“I think I get what you felt now…” Alba mumbled while her chin comfortably rests at the table.

“Told ya. Won’t be so smug again, will you?”

Alba glanced up towards Sigulf.

“…nah, you still deserves my snobbery?”

“Huh, and why’s that?”

“Because you’re stuuuupid.”

“…what? Nevermind that I’m not one; I don’t see any correlations between your statements…”

Their exchange earned a chuckle from Chelsea.

“So I guess this is the secret behind Gallowglass’ teamwork.”

“Huh?”

“You know they say, ‘best friends fight all the time’.”

“I… Don’t think we fight that much, though.” Alba responded.

“Eh, really? Or maybe it is a good thing, after all! You got good teamwork, it made me a bit jealous.”

“Umm, so why don’t you try to pair with her?” Sigulf asked. “And make a unit maybe called something like… Union Crown?”

“Eh!? Why would I pair with her!?”

“Oh! That sounds nice! …ah.”

““…eh?””

Both Alba and Chelsea realized that what they said were the complete opposites of each other. The older girl then started to get teary-eyed.

“Uuu…”

“Wait, why are you crying!?”

“I guess that goes to both of you too.” Celina chuckled.

Still, Sigulf barely reacted and tries to steal a glance at Chelsea, hoping not to get caught.

‘Chelsea, could she be—‘

Celina’s phone suddenly rings and surprised all four.

“The Principal…?” Celina said as she looked at the screen before answering it. “Yes?”

There was no immediate answer which confused her.

“…?”

Chelsea gently poked her shoulder and pointed towards outside the window.

“Oh, I see…”

There stood the Principal, who waved at them as soon as she noticed.

“Good morning.” Victoria greeted upon entering the café. “I see you all are here.”

“Good morning, Ma’am.” Celina returned the greeting. “How did you—“

“Oh, I simply know what my students do and where. Don’t worry about that.”

Both Celina and Sigulf looks worried at her statement, while Chelsea can only let out a wry laughter.

“Uhm… I presume you just done morning practice?” Sigulf asked her.

“Yes. I have to set-up an example after all. Not to mention, shedding a bit of sweat is never a bad thing.”

“It certainly is…”

Sigulf takes a good look at Victoria while wondering whether she has a personal training space.

‘Now that I think of it, seeing the Principal not wearing the usual get-up feels kind of… fresh.’ He mentally mused. ‘Well, she is a Duelist too after all…’

“My, young man. If you stare at me intensely, even I get embarrassed too.”

“Eh!? No, I was just—“

Unfortunately, it’s a bit too late.

“…perv.”

“Peeeeerv~”

“I’m… A bit disappointed there…”

“…”

There was nothing Sigulf could say under the girls’ judging gaze.

‘I, it’s over…!’ he mentally lamented.

“Well, putting that aside,” Victoria chuckled. “Since you are here, there is something I need you to relay to the rest of the Council members regarding Pacific’s visit tomorrow.”

“I see. Then what is it?”

“They are expected to arrive after lunch, so I need all Council members to stand by, especially the ones concerned with security.”

“So slightly past midday… Understood. Is there anything else, Ma’am?”

“I guess that’s all for the moment. If any you have something scheduled or a date coming up, I suggest you reconsider the time.”

“D, date?” Alba reacted for some reason.

“Umm, I’m pretty sure we have nothing else besides morning practice, but thank you.” Celina answered, sounding a bit unsure.

“That’s good to hear. Or if you really want to, you can shift your appointments to this afternoon.”

“We’ll think about it…”

Not long after, the waitress brought their food, as well as giving a slight nod upon noticing Victoria.

“Oh, that’s right. Maybe I should order something while I’m here.” She said while pulling a chair.

“Are you eating here?” Chelsea asked, slightly surprised.

“Yes. You don’t mind, right? Or… Did I disturb a tender moment?”

“Oh, no, no! It’s alright, nothing of the such here!” Chelsea feigned acceptance before the other can react.

“I see. Well then, pardon the intrusion.”

Victoria quickly scanned the menu before making her order.

“So,” she faced Sigulf after the waitress went away. “I gather that you have been practicing hard with Celina and Chelsea?”

“Eh, yeah… Even putting aside the fact that they are the top 2, they have been really nice and supportive, so…”

“I see, I see. Touched by the kindness of the fair maidens, yes?”

“Eh? Well…”

“…Ma’am?” Celina questioned her.

“Fufufu, don’t worry, I understand. Besides, facing various opponents and studying their fighting style is important, don’t you think?”

“Right, that too.”

“Hmm, if that’s the case, then how about you spar with me some day? I do have access to an exclusive training area, after all.” Victoria invited with a wink.

‘Oh Gerdr…!’

“Ma’am.”

Victoria turned to face a smiling Celina… Yet the air around her is anything but.

“Don’t you think it’s inappropriate to talk about that on the dining table? With your own student, even?”

Chelsea, meanwhile, goes to use a less discreet way.

“Alba, guard!”

“Grrr!” the Scottish girl growled towards Victoria. “…hey, wait, why am I listening to you!?”

Victoria looks a bit surprised but then brushed it off with a chuckle.

“Oh my, I think I see what it is all about now.”

10