Chapter 4: Dawn Before the Restless Tide, part 1
617 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Uncertainty is the most prominent thought which ran through the students’ mind, particularly the unofficial Council members’ 1st-years.

Two weeks. Two weeks at most they have been in this Academy, yet here they are, tasked with greeting rival Academy’s delegations. Of course one could also say that, one, it isn’t a highly important duty on a big scale, and two, it goes to the other side as well, assuming they are indeed 1st-years who have been sent abroad just two weeks in their new environment. In any case…

“Thank you for your warm welcome, Principal Stark.” The male student, who is presumably their leader, returned her greeting. “We’re looking forward to our short excursion here.”

‘A Japanese…’ Sigulf noted.

At a glance, he reminded Sigulf of Minato. Yet the way he carried himself indicated that he as an air of confidence and charisma, unlike the usual Minato.

The rest of their students then took a step forward, and Sigulf got a better look on them now. Different from him, they felt somewhat tense, though Sigulf can’t really blame them.

‘Huh? One guy out of 4?’

True to what he discerned, the slightly wavy, black haired student was the only boy on their ranks, the leader notwithstanding. The others were a shy looking white-haired one, another is a long haired brunette, and the last one is a cool-looking girl with shoulder length black hair.

And she caught Sigulf’s attention the most, considering how customized her uniform is, lack of sleeves and the addition of coattails and all. Even though their standard uniform is already catchy; a white jacket with star-shaped chest-opening, complimented with few red and blue stripes.

“I’m sure you are tired from the journey,” Victoria continued, forcing Sigulf back to real world. “So would you mind if we show you the way?”

“Oh, no, not at all.” Pacific’s leader replied. “By all means, please. We appreciate it.”

“Very well then…”

On her cue, almost every Council member moved, save for the actual security staffs that stood by on the landing pad. Lindorm, Laine, Minato’s girls and some others dispersed somewhere else, while the other half, including the Council duo, Sigulf and Minato escorts the guests.

“By the way, Mr. Houjou,” Victoria suddenly said on their way, presumably addressing the leader. “I heard there was some problem on your end few days ago. Is it the reason why your group is a bit undermanned?”

“I see our Principal has talked about it to you. It is embarrassing, but unfortunately, yes.” Houjou responded. “I presume she had already given the details?”

“She did. I see… It must be quite troublesome for Stacy…”

‘Hm? So their Principal is a woman too? …wait, she even calls her by name.’

Not long after, the whole group arrives at the guesthouse and the Pacific guests began to unload their belongings.

“If you need anything, please don’t be hesitant and ask our staffs or Council members.” Victoria informed, motioning to the armband-wearing students.

“Thank you for your consideration. For the moment, we just would like to rest.”

“Very well. Then please make yourselves comfortable.”

Just as Victoria was about to turn around, one student peeked from their room.

“Umm, Sir, may I— Hyah!?”

“Watch out!”

Said student stumbled and nearly fell if not for Minato’s quick reaction.

“Are you alright?” Minato asked.

“I, I’m fine… Th, thank you…” she responded with a red face.

‘Thank goodness those three aren’t here.’ Sigulf mentally commented.

“I think you should rest earlier, Misha.” Houjou addressed her. “Or rather, we all should.”

“R, right… I’m sorry…”

“Well then, I guess we must take our leave.” Victoria said. “Rest well.”

“We will, and thank you very much.”

The group finally split apart, and the Atlantics followed Victoria outside, where they regrouped with the rest of the Council members.

“I guess that’s all for today.” She announced. “Maybe there will be more for the following week, so keep yourselves sharp.”

“Yes, Ma’am!” the students answered in unison.

“Thank you very much for your work. You’re dismissed.”

All of them saluted her as she left the place. Some students followed suit and returns to their own daily business.

‘We didn’t do much, but it was still kind of tense.’ Sigulf mentally commented. ‘Alright, let’s see what I should do next…’

“Good job, everyone.” Celina greeted the 1st-years. “I assume everything’s gone well on your side, yes?”

“Fortunately so, Ma’am.” Eurypha returned it with a salute. “…by the way, what’s with M— Amakawa?”

“Hm?”

They turn around to face Minato, who seems to be mulling about something.

“Is something the matter?” Chelsea asked him.

“…that person called Houjou… He felt familiar for some reason…” Minato explained.

“Eh?”

“Strange… I’m pretty sure I’ve never met him before…”

“What, there won’t be some twist like he’s your long lost illegitimate brother, right?” Ilma sarcastically quips.

“No, no, no! Look, I know my father is carefree and rather hopeless, but the one thing he won’t definitely do is to betray my mother.”

“I was being sarcastic.” She clarified with a sigh. “So he does travel?”

“Eh? Well, yeah… And he loves Dueling. Sheesh, if only he would help Mom more whenever he’s around…”

Now that one piqued everyone’s interest.

“Amakawa…” Eurypha asked. “What is your father’s name?”

“Huh? It’s Taketo—“

“Take—“ she looks surprised for a moment. “…oh right, that can’t be. They probably just share the same name.”

“Eh, what do y—“

“I’m talking about your surnames, sheesh. So that means your father’s name is Taketo Amakawa, right?”

“Uh huh.”

“I thought so. For a second, I mistook him with the Crimson Ronin Sanada…”

“Oh, I don’t really get the Crimson Ronin, but he goes by Taketo Sanada before he marr—“

“EEEEEEEEEH!?”

Almost everyone couldn’t hide their surprise, making nearby onlookers to look at them.

‘Figures…! Ordinary guy, my ass!’ Sigulf mentally retorted, resisting the urge to slug the boy on his face.

“…eh? Did I say something bad?”

“Amakawa! You better be not messing around with us!”

“Huh!? What are you even getting at!?”

“Just answer my question already!” Eurypha insisted. “Are your father really Taketo Sanada!?”

“Yes, he is! Before taking my mother’s surname!”

“…positive?”

“Positive.”

“THAT Taketo Sanada?”

“I don’t really know what you meant by ‘that’, but I guess yeah…?”

As much as Eurypha hated it, she can’t see any deceit in his eyes.

“Oh my Zeus…” she lamented while covering her face. “I can’t believe this pervert is Crimson Ronin’s son…”

“Will you stop with the ‘pervert’ already?” Minato protested. “…and is my father really that strong?”

‘…is this guy serious?’ Sigulf mentally commented.

“How could you not even aware with your father’s achievements!? He’s the Crimson Ronin! The world’s strongest freelance Duelist!”

“Don’t blame me on that… I mean, sure, my father did train me whenever he got the chance, but most of the time, I practiced kendo with my grandmother instead.”

“…I won’t even be surprised if she turns out to have some history in Dueling.”

“Err, I don’t think so. I mean, she’s quite the traditionalist…”

“But, I see…” Carmen finally joined. “Sanada’s Son, huh? Hmm…”

“Um, what?”

“Things will definitely get more interesting, right, Minato?” she winked.

“Aah! That’s right! It’s because you’re his son, more the reason to join this witch’s pervertedness!” Eurypha added.

“Jiiiiiiiii…” Ilma simply stared at him.

Minato is visibly uncomfortable, being ganged up by the trio as usual. Sigulf, meanwhile, simply watched in silence.

‘So he got the pedigree after all… I won’t lose to that!’

Unknowing to Sigulf, Chelsea watched him too, albeit for an entirely different reason.

“I, is this…!? A passionate longing gaze between boys…!?” she wondered while being red-faced.

“C, Chelsea?” Celina asked with worry.

————

Finally dismissed for good, everyone returned to their own rooms. Sigulf took out his phone and noticed that there is a message from his Master.

‘Shit, I didn’t notice at all.’

He didn’t waste any time and quickly dialed her number.

“Hello, Master?”

“Oh, Siggy boy! What’s the matter?” she answered from the other side.

“No, did something happen?”

“Huh? …ooh, is it about my message? Don’t worry, I was just asking how you have been.”

“I, I see…” he sighed out of relief.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry! Were you busy?”

“I should be the one apologizing, though… But yeah, Council duty.”

“It’s fine, I’ve been a bit busy as well. Sorry I can’t visit.” She laughed. “But, duty on Sunday? Must be rough.”

“Well, it’s not physically taxing, but since we have to make sure no funny businesses on Pacific’s visit…”

“Eh? Duelists from across?”

“Yeah. For excursion, apparently.”

“Hmm… Excursions aren’t something new, but don’t you think it’s a bit too soon?”

“Yeah, I thought so too…” he agreed. “Speaking of which, did you ever fought Duelists from there? Maybe during excursions or—“

“Aah, so that’s where are you going.” She chuckled. “Well, maybe once. Three times at most.”

“Mm hm.”

“And thus I can’t give you any real concrete advice on that. From what I could gather, videos included, they seem to rely less on technique and more on power. Oh, and they tend to be more showy. Other than that… Well, stick with your usual. Sorry about that!”

“Ah, it’s alright. Thanks, Master.”

“No problem! Is there anything else?”

“Hmm… You remember about the Crimson Ronin, right?”

“Yeah, the wandering freelancer. Shame I didn’t get to fight him. What about it?”

“Turns out I’m on the same class with his son.”

Vigdis suddenly went silent.

“Uhh… Hello, Master?”

“That’s it!”

“Wha—“

“If you want to raise your stock, beat him!”

“O, okay!? I mean, that’s one of my goals…”

“Good! Did you stick with that Bartram girl like I said!?”

“Yeah, today we trained double the amount, even.”

“That’s not enough! Make it triple or quadruple!”

“…seriously? But—“

“Eei, no buts! You want to be the best, don’t you!?”

“Y, yes, Master! I’m sorry!”

“Good! Keep working on that, but don’t forget to train with the others! If all gone well, your stock will rise, your beloved Celina will notice you, and you might mar—“

“I’m hanging up.”

“Waaaah! Stop, I was joking!”

“…seriously, Master.”

“…but don’t you want to? I mean you do want to bleep with her—“

“Did you just seriously say ‘bleep’!?”

“I can’t let my baby boy’s ears get tainted!” she laughed.

“But I’m pretty much tainted already living under you…”

“What was that?”

“I said, ‘I’m pretty much tainted already BY living WITH you’.”

“Uu… My boy has grown into a cold teenager with no delicacy… Sob sob.” She faked crying over the phone.

“Err…”

“Stupid Siggy! Women’s enemy!”

“…that doesn’t suit your character at all.”

“I know.” Vigdis laughed again. “Are you entertained?”

“3 out of 10.”

“Boo, boo! Too strict!”

“Well, but seriously, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t crack a smile.”

“I see… That’s good to hear.” She replied. Even though he can’t see it, there was a hint of relief on Vigdis’ face.

“So, uhh…”

“Hm?”

“Thank you, Master. I mean it. Talking with you made me relax, somehow.”

“Kuuuh, now you’re saying stuff like that! You better save it for her!”

“Yeah, I wish… Maybe someday…”

“Then go for it!” Vigdis encouraged. “Anything else?”

“I guess that’s all. Again, thank you.”

“Don’t mention it. You can always talk to me. Well then, do your best and good luck on everything, Sigulf.”

“I will.”

“See you later. Chu~”

“Yeah, la— Wait, what?”

Vigdis has already hung up.

“…for Angrboda’s sake, Master.”

Still, Sigulf was smiling while staring at his phone for few moments.

‘I’m lucky to have her as my guardian, after all…’

Sigulf looked up and gazed towards the horizon beyond his window.

‘Sanada’s Son and the Pacific reps… Tomorrow is going to be interesting, it seems.’

12