Chapter 4, part 3
559 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lunch break ends, and the students proceeds to the final half of their day.

“Huh, no matter where you are in the world, I see thing aren’t that much different.” Mei commented after hearing Eliot’s explanation.

“So, how are you going to train?” Minato asked them. “I mean, you’re on an excursion and all…”

“Hmm, you’re right… Maybe we should— …Reika?”

Their attention was pulled by said girl who approached Sigulf’s group.

“Excuse me.”

“Yes?”

“By any chance, are you Yuu-dono?”

“Right, that’s me.” He stepped forward with a smile, trying to impress her. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

“I see… Then…!”

Reika suddenly dashed straight towards Yuu and threw a punch.

“Ei!!”

“Waaah!?”

She stopped her fist just before it connects, yet Yuu fell down all the same. Reika looks somewhat disappointed.

“…”

“W, what do you think are you doing!?”

“…ful.”

“Wha…?”

“Shameful!” Reika finally exploded, making everyone on the hall turn around. “What a disgrace de gozaru!”

“What’s your problem!?” Yuu spat back, while Sigulf assisted him to stand up.

‘Whoa, he’s pissed.’

“I came here expecting… Anything worthwhile to say, but this…” she sighed. “What have you been doing?”

“Huh!? And how’s that got anything to do with you!?”

Reika blinked.

“…wait, I thought I have properly introduced myself?”

“Yeah, Reika Kannomine, wasn’t it? So what?”

She clutched her head in disbelief.

“You don’t even recognize our house?”

“Forget about that; I don’t even know you!”

“By Gods, how…!” Reika lamented. “Yuu-dono, even as a member of the branch family, you shouldn’t be overly carefree!”

“Branch— Wha…?”

Now’s his turn to went silent.

“…OK, so let me get this straight.” Yuu finally continued. “So you are saying we are kind of related—“

“Yes, yes.”

“And you, I presume as a member of the main house, are here to evaluate—“

“Yes, yes!”

“And so, you expected me to train harder and adhere to the Bushido.”

“That’s right de gozaru!” Reika responded in delight. “I see you’re quick to catch, Yuu-dono! So now, let’s—“

“But I refuse.”

“What!? Why!?”

“Forget it. I think I know what you are trying to say…” Yuu sighed. “I’m here to have fun, anyways. And ‘branch family’? Is it even still a thing?”

“Wha— Family bonds should stand the test of time!”

“Ugh, annoying…”

“Now, now, this ain’t like you, getting snappy at girls.” Walter, who was mostly ignored, suddenly joined them. Of course, he earned Eurypha’s contemptful look.

“How would I not? As if getting nearly punched wasn’t enough, then I got shouted right at my face…”

“But you were pathetic.” Ilma quips.

“Uuuugh…”

“Hiltunen-san! Don’t make things worse!” Minato reprimanded her.

“Tch…”

“True, we should calm down. Everyone is looking.” Mei agreed. “…Reika, you sure made a normal practice session into a… Lively one.”

“I, it’s a family business de gozaru! It’s different from what you are trying to pull in the café!”

“Yes, yes. So I guess I’ll have to spar with you again, after all.”

“Umm, are you really sure with this? I can train with one of you, if you don’t mind.” Minato offered, which met by his groupies’ surprise.

“Ooh, so he said. What do you think?”

“Eeh!? But… Err, Minato-dono… Wasn’t it? But you’ve already—“

“Ah, don’t worry. It’s a part of my duty, after all. Though I don’t know how my kendo experience will help me…”

“I see you practiced kendo as well! Then let’s train our best, Minato-dono!”

“Sure! It’s been a while!”

Eurypha obviously fumed as they moved to an unoccupied spot.

“What is he thinking!?” she screeched.

“Calm down, it’s a part of his job. …or so I wanted to say.” Carmen added. “We can’t let him trip over her. Come on, let’s tail them.”

“…never thought I’m going to agree with you, but sure. Ilma, let’s go!”

“…don’t call me like we’re friends.” Ilma protested, though follows them nonetheless.

And as usual, Walter laments his lack of luck, while Mei asked Sigulf, “Are they always like that?”

“You bet.”

“Hah, quite the lucky bastard, ain’t he?”

“Fun to watch, though.”

“Right… So I guess that leaves me, Anil, and Misha. What do we do now?”

Anil said nothing and simply shrugged, while Misha looks uncertain.

“Then, then, how about we spar together, Misha?” Walter offered with a grin.

“E, eh…?”

“…it’s alright, I understand. You don’t have to look that scared… sniff.”

“I, I’m sorry. I think I’ll wait for Mei first.”

“Eh? Me? Hmm… Then, I guess I’ll train with Dog Boy here.”

“…Dog Boy?” Sigulf questioned his new nickname. He swore he could hear Ilma snickered.

“Wha— No, no, no, you can’t! I’m first!” Alba protested.

“Aah, right, you’re his partner—“

“It’s the other way around. He’s my sidekick.”

“…oi, I thought we’re teammates?” he retorted.

“Mmm… Is there no way that I may spar with him?”

“No. Unlike Amakawa, I won’t be as welcoming as him.”

“Eeh, seriously? Even though we’re guests?”

“Yep. Not to mention I’m not a Council member.”

“For real?”

“Yes.”

“Pretty pleeeeeease?” Mei feigned sincerity.

“No, nope, no way.”

“Aagh, damn, you’re not making this easy. What’s between you two, anyway?”

“It’s… It’s a bond which has surpassed love and friendship!”

“…what?”

“Oi, oi, we haven’t even fought our second tag duel yet.” Sigulf added.

“Sssh!”

Of course Walter is quick to express his displeasure.

“Tch… Damn, now him too? I thought he was supposed to be not so popular.”

“If you think this is bad, then wait until you see him on weekends.” Yuu sighed.

Between Minato and Reika’s sparring which quickly gone awkward due to the watchful eyes of Eurypha, Carmen, and Ilma who tries to cover it as an equally clumsy three-way fight, and Anil and Misha’s first day left hanging because Mei was too busy arguing with Alba, the rest of the students can only collectively thought, ‘What are they doing!?’

“U, umm, Sir? Shouldn’t we stop them?” Arthfael suggested.

“I say let them be.”

“Huh? But—“

“Aah, youth… Wonderful, don’t you think? Huhuhu…”

“S, sir?”

———

Meanwhile, on the 2nd-year’s classroom…

“Hmph!”

“Hoo…”

Two duelists quickly broke away from each other.

“I, impossible…!” a spectator commented.

“I know he’s their ace, but… To think he could keep up with Miss Kensington…!”

“They are not even using their True Arms, are they!?”

True to their words, Chelsea is engaged in a sparring with Kouji, albeit a rather intense one, while Celina observes from the sidelines.

“Ah, as expected from the Golden Ace!” she praised him.

“Likewise, the A-class isn’t just for show after all.” He responded. “But… I won’t hold back nor stopping until the top spot belongs to us!”

“As if we’ll let you!”

Both of them charged in and clashed their steel once more.

‘Chelsea…’

———

Last bell of the day rang, and everyone goes to their own after-school activities. Sigulf, too, returns to his unofficial patrol duty.

‘Wednesday gonna be the last. Gotta do my best until then!’

Considering they have guests, the Principal ordered the Council to be more vigilant than usual.

‘Right, gotta stay alert. Hope nothing’s— Hm?’

From the corner of his eye, he recognized a familiar figure, training alone in the fields.

“199…! 200…! 201…!”

Sigulf quickly moved to a hidden spot and observed from afar.

“206…! 207…! …dammit, I haven’t done this in a long time!”

‘Yuu…’

The boy repeatedly swung his safe-mode Susanowo in what Sigulf assumes as kendo stance.

‘Of course he would mind after all…’

Sigulf watched for a bit more as Yuu continued his solo training.

‘I wish I could lend a hand, but I’m on duty…’

He silently made his getaway, not to get caught.

‘Good luck, Yuu.’

———-

Thankfully, there was nothing noteworthy to report, so they can easily call it a day. Back in Sigulf’s room, he was chilling when his phone beeps.

“A message from Master?”

‘Heya, how’s your day? Had a nice fight?’ it reads.

“Ah, right…” he remembered how it went while replying.

‘OK day, but didn’t get to fight. Kinda went awry.’

‘Really? That’s too bad. Related to that one guy no-showing?’

“Huh, so she knows. I guess she asked Sir Fortier…”

‘No, but one of them end up spent too much time arguing with Alba.’

‘Why’s that?’

‘Wanting to spar with me.’

‘Let me guess, a girl?’

‘Eh, yeah. Why?’

There was a short delay before her reply came.

‘Oh you, you should’ve said that your harem grows!’

‘Pretty sure it’s not that… Wait, I have no harems!’

“…I think.” He mumbled to no one.

‘Now, now, no need to be embarrassed. Kings of the old often have many wives.’

‘I’m going to sleep. Good night.’

‘Chee… No fun. Next time you got stomped by the Bartram girl, I won’t console you.’

‘I won’t sulk anymore, but please forgive me. I’ll make it up with a shoulder massage next time you visit.’

‘I’m not that old!’

Sigulf smiled. Little exchanges like this are always nice.

‘…come to think of it, were we always like this?’ he suddenly realized. ‘I guess it’s the effect of going out and socializing with others… Gotta thank her.’

‘I know.’ Sigulf continued. ‘Well, I can’t think of anything else to tell, so I’m sleeping for real.’

‘A-ha! Running away, aren’t you?’

‘No, I’m not.’

‘I’m not convinced at all… Well, okay, good luck for tomorrow, hon. Don’t forget your promise, ‘kay? Full course massage!’

“H, hon…”

Sigulf knows it was supposed to be endearing, but he can’t help to get red.

‘Pretty sure it was supposed to be a mere shoulder massage, but let’s see what I can do later. Good night, Master.’

Sigulf set his phone aside and lies down.

‘Alright, sleep early and wake up refreshed!’ he mentally encourages himself. ‘…still, how should I train tomorrow? Better to think of something…’

Slowly but sure, Sigulf got steadily drowsier, until he finally falls asleep.

11