Chapter 4, part 9
527 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Around the central park, the crowd has already begun gathering. School staff and students alike excitedly waiting for the inevitable clash. Even the stall shops got into the action, trying to sell their snacks to the onlookers.

“Hmm…”

“What’s the matter, Mei-dono?”

“I know there’s still some time, but I don’t see Hrimgard anywhere…”

“Are you that worried?”

“Hahah… As if.”

Sure enough, Sigulf and the others were someplace else, which is actually not that far from the park.

“Hm! Hah!”

“Looking good! There was no hesitation in your swings. You have to keep it like that during the fight.”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

On a separate alley, Sigulf was practicing his movements, while Celina and Chelsea watch.

“I think he’s good to go.” Chelsea commented. “Now, if only he can make sure he’ll get delegated…”

“Hey now…”

“Don’t jinx it.” Celina chuckled. “In all seriousness, though, worry not. Sir Fortier will pick him.”

“Hmm…”

Sigulf’s phone suddenly beeps and it caught all three’s attention.

“What is it?”

“Ah, it’s my Master. I think Sir Fortier told her. And… Wait, she’s coming by tonight?”

“So, more the reason for you to fight and win, then.”

“Yeah, I guess so…” he laughed “Should I go for few more swings?”

“Sure, just enough to keep your shoulders warm.”

“Understood!”

———

Nearing half past 5, Sigulf and the council duo finally showed up at the park.

“Oh, there you are.” Victoria said upon noticing them.

“Ah, Ma’am! Good evening!” Celina saluted, followed by the rest.

“Good evening. So, where have you been?”

“I needed some time for a bit of exercise.” Sigulf answered. “And they helped me with it.”

“Aah, I see. A private coaching session. Was it… Fun?”

“P—“

Sigulf went slightly red, while Celina, looking slightly annoyed, cleared her throat and retorted, “Ma’am.”

“Ufufu, but I wasn’t wrong, was I? I know it’s important to keep your bodies warm, after all.”

“Err…”

‘She’s definitely aiming for that…’

“Well, in any case…” Victoria suddenly unbuttoned her coat.

“Wait, Ma’am! What are you— …ah.”

“Here, wear it to keep your shoulders warm.” She handed her coat to Sigulf, and obviously still modestly dressed. “Did you expect something else?”

“M, Ma’am… Aren’t you cold?” he asked, still clutching her coat.

“Ufufu… Thank you for worrying, but it’s alright, I’m used to the sea wind.”

‘…duh, what was I thinking!?’

“Well, enough of that for now. I expect a great fight from you.” She waved while rejoining the rest.

“Y, yes, thank you, Ma’am…”

“…Sigulf.” Celina suddenly called him. “Sigulf!”

“Y, yes!?”

“Focus.”

“…ah.”

He calmed down a bit, took a deep breath, and exhales.

“Feeling better?”

“Yeah…”

“Good. Now, let’s go. Don’t make our guests wait.”

“Understood…!”

“You guys done already?” Eliot asked. “Everyone was waiting, you know. And watching.”

‘…well, of course they would. Damn, Alba looks pissed…’

“…and, Ma’am, please refrain from doing that again.” He continued, this time sighing in exasperation.

“Oh, my. Is it bad to encourage our own students?” Victoria chuckled.

From the other side, Reika looks with disbelief.

“…are they always like that? I feel like being underestimated…”

“I don’t think so. It’s just… Well, it seems that Dog Boy is a working magnet for older women.” Mei snickered.

“I… See…”

“We still have few minutes left, but…” Eliot glanced at his watch before looking at the Pacifics. “Do you mind if we start now?”

“Not at all.” Kouji answered. “We’re all set.”

“Very well. You heard them, ladies and gents.”

“Ooh, they are finally starting!” one of the spectators exclaimed.

“Alright, we shall begin the inter-school battle between the Atlantic against the Pacific!”

“Acknowledged.” The system announced. “Commencing team battle, Atlantic versus Pacific. Please select your representatives.”

Loud cheering immediately meets the system’s confirmation.

“Here it comes…” Sigulf muttered.

“Hmm, since we are the ones issuing challenge, I guess it’s only fair if we go first…” Kouji said. “Anil, would you go first?”

The Indian boy simply nodded and prepares himself.

“Then… Armstrong, get yourself ready.” Eliot commanded.

“Aaaalright! Time to show them what I can really do!” Walter pumps his fist eagerly.

“Don’t blew it, ape.” Eurypha responded.

“Hey, that’s just mean!”

“Affirmative. First match, singles. Anil Kumar versus Walter Armstrong. Both duelists, please proceed into the fighting area.”

Advancing forward, they boys meet each other on the park’s center.

“Sorry, bud, but I need the win. The ladies are cheering for me.”

Anil said nothing and shot back a defiant glare.

“Now, gentlemen…”

“Your oaths!”

“”We, Duelists, swore to abide by the rules, respect the judge’s decision, and fight with all of our might, in honor of our opponent, and for the glory of one own self!””

‘Ah, so it’s a modified, more universal version of the creed.’

Sigulf paused just as he suddenly realized something.

‘…wait, did he just recite that clearly?’

“I never knew he could talk that much…” a boy commented on Anil, as if to agree with Sigulf’s surprise.

“Maybe it’s just for occasions like this?”

“And now,” Eliot continued. “Summon your True Arms!”

Walter took his position and took a deep breath.

‘I can’t lose here… I gotta look cool!’

As he began chanting, a brown aura circled around his feet.

“Dreams, hopes, and liberty! This courageous fists of mine shall grasp all of them! Let’s show ‘em, The Pioneer!”

A huge gauntlets with steampunk aesthetics materialized, neatly equipped on both of his arms as soon as he finished.

“Come on!” Walter shouted.

Anil didn’t respond and merely goes straight to summoning, accompanied by a swirling green aura.

‘Wind elemental. So, just like Hiltunen…’

“Radiant wings of the sun… Instill thy courage and prowess unto this self… Swoop down— GARUDA!!”

The sudden explosion in both of his energy and voice surprised almost everyone. In his hand, a stylized firangi has formed. The most curious thing, however, was how Anil took his battle stance, as it looks like Japanese swordfighting style.

“What’s the meaning of this…?” Minato wondered.

‘Hmm, interesting…’

“Ah, that Anil. He should’ve talked more. Dude got a nice voice.” Mei commented.

“…that’s where you are pointing out at?” Reika retorted.

“Alright, one-point match, 300 seconds!” Eliot announced. “Are we clear?”

“”Yes, Sir!””

“Well then…!”

“En garde.” The system gave the cue, prompting both fighters to prepare themselves one last time.

“Begin.”

Both boys instantly rushed towards each other. Predictably, Anil was faster among the two, but as Walter seemingly managed to throw the first punch…

‘There can be only one thing…!’

Just as he thought, Anil backstepped at the last moment, avoiding Walter’s strike. However, as it wasn’t a full-force punch, Walter managed to stop it and throw another with his left, catching Anil off guard.

“…!”

Anil raised his Garuda barely in time to defend, and still knocked away from the blow.

“Then, how about this!?”

Walter gave chase and threw out another punch, which Anil narrowly evaded. And another one, to be evaded again. Walter didn’t let up and unleashed a barrage of punches.

“Come on! You can’t win if you keep evading like that!”

“…!”

Suddenly, Anil saw an opening, jumped, and kicked Walter’s gauntlets as hard as possible to stagger him, while using it as a platform to somersault away to safety.

“Wha…!?”

As soon as he landed, Anil quickly took an offensive stance.

“Here… I… GOOOOOOOO!!”

With fury comparable to a cyclone, Anil charged towards Walter, delivering an upward slash which Walter barely managed to guard against it.

“Gh…! Where did all that power comes from!?”

But his momentum didn’t stop there, as Anil jumped and performs a somersaulting cleave.

“UOOOOOHH!!”

“Guh…!”

Walter blocked the attack, but it still pushed him away a considerable distance, a jarring difference from what Anil’s firangi would suggest.

“W, what the hell was that!?”

Anil’s unexpected display of raw power and hot-blooded ferocity shocked almost every spectator.

“Mei-dono, this is…”

“Hee, never thought he’s that kind of guy. Amusing!”

Having reeled from the blow, Walter fixes his fighting stance.

“Daaamn… Talk about hiding your power…!”

“COME!!”

“Tch, then you shall get it…!!”

Answering to Anil’s challenge, Walter dashed forward and throws a right straight. However, instead of backing down, Anil swung and clashed his Garuda with Walter’s Pioneer.

“…!”

For a while, they’re evenly matched, but Walter began to overpower him… Only for Anil to pull back, and unleash a spinning slash.

“…!?”

Walter raised his left arm to block and succeeded, but it puts him in a disadvantage now, as it gives room for Anil to unleash a hail of sword.

“HAAAAAH!!”

“Tch…!”

Walter struggled to defend against Anil’s unrelenting assault, until…

“THERE!!”

“…!?”

A well-timed strike forced Walter’s guard open. Anil didn’t waste the chance and flashed past Walter.

“UORYAAAAH!!”

“Gwah…!!”

“Battle points, down by 15%.” The system announced.

The crowd went into an uproar as Anil landed his strike.

“Ah, we got the first strike.” Kouji mused.

In spite of all the noise, Anil said nothing and turned to face Walter, getting back into stance. Walter, meanwhile, took a jump away for some space, trying to regain his composure.

“Shit, he’s strong…! But I refuse to lose here…!” Walter growled.

“Ape… What are you doing?” Eurypha cursed from the sidelines.

Walter got no choice but to brace himself as Anil comes attacking once more with full force.

12