Chapter 4, part 11
491 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Among the increasingly heating atmosphere and excited watchers, Eliot prompted both duelists to recite the obligatory oath.

“”We, Duelists, swore to abide by the rules, respect the judge’s decision, and fight with all of our might, in honor of our opponent, and for the glory of one own self!””

“Very good! Now, summon your True Arms!”

Moving first, Minato closed his eyes and began to call forth his weapon.

“Descending from the Heavens to join the Earth, be the power beyond victory! Lend me your everything, Sky Fencer!”

Minato’s trademark silvery-white longsword formed in his hands and he quickly took fighting stance.

Misha, having braced himself, muttered, “Alright, here I go…” before chanting for his True Arms. A translucent white aura formed and swirled around him.

‘I see, another one without any elemental affinity.’ Sigulf observed.

“O the polarity which gave life to man, beasts, and trees alike… I beckon thee to bless this humble servant with your presence… Spring forth, Siebog!”

A silver dagger materialized in his right hand, and Misha cut through the air, as if to disperse the aura.

“Go, go, Minatooo!” his cheering squad quickly do their job.

“Isn’t this a mismatch?” one student commented.

“Mostly, yes.” Arthfael answered. “Amakawa has the advantage here. If he can keep Smirnov out of range, then he’s good. However…”

‘There’s no way he’d let that happen easily.’ Sigulf mentally concluded.

“Misha, do your best…” Mei encouraged in a low voice.

“En garde.”

Waiting for the final cue, both Minato and Misha focused on each other.

“Begin.”

At that very moment, the fighters rushed and met in the center with a blade lock.

“…!”

Minato quickly overpowers Misha, so the smaller boy began to pull away. Minato predicted him to jump away, but…

“Wha—!?”

With implausible agility, Misha twirled his lithe body sideways instead, escaping from Minato’s pressure.

“Haah!!”

“Kh…!”

Minato raised his sword in the nick of time to block Misha’s thrust.

“So fast! But…!”

Misha pulled his hand momentarily before continuing with a multitude of slashes.

“How about this!?”

“Gh…!”

‘He’s not giving any room to retaliate…!’

Easily parried as they may be, the swift and endless rain of Misha’s dagger made it near-impossible for Minato to retaliate.

‘Still, as expected from Minato. Then…!’

Misha suddenly stopped his attack. Being used to parrying, Minato was caught off guard.

“!?”

Even if it was about a split second, that was all Misha needed.

“There!!”

“Gh…!”

Passing through Minato, Misha landed three consecutive strikes. Not wanting to widen the distance, he quickly did a U-turn and attacked once more, though Minato managed to guard against it this time.

“Ah, so close…!”

“Battle points, down by 15%.”

‘They took the early lead, again.’ Sigulf mentally commented.

Once again, the Atlantic students began talking to themselves in worry.

“He really sticks right in Amakawa’s face…” Walter muttered. “Dude gotta make some distance somehow…”

Indeed, at the moment, Misha has locked down Minato’s offense option.

‘This is fine…! If I can keep this for 5 minutes, then…!’

‘Kuh, if he won’t give any openings, then I can only gamble on this…!’

Minato shifted his stance a bit while guarding, getting noticed by Misha.

‘I sense movement…!’

‘Now…!’

All of a sudden, both boys halted their clash and pulled away their hands, though in a different manner.

“Wha—“

Misha realized too late that Minato didn’t attempt to bait his attack; instead, he deliberately broke away to deliver a piercing strike.

“Seyah!!”

“Hyaaah!”

He jumped away and barely escaped his attack, but now there’s a considerable space within them.

“I won’t let you!”

Minato gave pursuit and followed with a spinning vertical slash. Misha got no choice but to guard and get thrown by it.

“Kuh…!”

Misha quickly recovered, but now it’s his turn to defend against Minato.

‘N, not good…! I need to get in and close the distance fast…!’

“Aah…! He broke it already?” Reika lamented.

“…well, that’s Sanada’s son for you.” Mei glumly added.

Being focused on his attacks, Misha was caught off guard when Minato’s follow-up strike didn’t come, seemingly imitating him.

‘Did he just— No…!’

“There!”

With a well-timed downward diagonal slash, Minato forced Misha’s dagger, and hand, down, creating a much needed opening.

“Not yet!”

Holding his Sky Fencer with two hands, he continued with a full rotation and knocked Misha away.

“Uagh…!”

“Battle points, down by 20%.”

Ignoring the cheering crowd, Minato exhaled and got back into stance, while watching Misha trying to regain his footing, still clutching his chest.

“Auugh… I have to do it all over again…” Misha lamented.

“What are you gonna do now…?” Mei muttered, watching the boy with a slight hint of worry.

Seeing his opponent has recovered, Minato took a deep breath before rushing in to resume the fight.

“Here I go!!”

Judging from his posture, Misha could determine that Minato is going for another thrusting strike.

‘Since he got the range advantage, he’ll strike earlier… That means…!’

“Uooooh!!”

‘Now…!’

As Misha got his prediction right, he dived forward to Minato’s left.

“What!?”

Using only his left hand as support, he used all his strength to propel himself upwards and did a somersault.

“…!”

His wrists hurt a bit from all the defending, but this risky maneuver is able to even the score, then Misha is willing to take it.

“Yaaah!!”

“Gh…!”

Minato reacted and tried to defend himself, but it was a bit too late. Descending with a slash, Misha scored a hit. Right after landing, he followed with another attack, and it cleanly struck Minato.

“Guah…!”

“Not yet!”

With a thrust, Misha tried to complete his three-parter, but Minato managed to block at last.

“Ah…”

“Kh…!”

“Battle points, down by 10%.”

‘That’s some athletic skill he got there.’ Sigulf mused.

“He got the lead again.” Mei commented.

“Now if only he can completely shut him down…!” Reika added.

Before the increasingly distraught home team, Misha intensified his assault, hoping to stall Minato.

‘Just a bit more…! Hang in there, my hands…!’

Once more, Minato shifted his stance, which didn’t go unnoticed by Misha.

‘Again? Then—‘

“Uoooh!!”

“Eh— Kyah!?”

Instead of backing away, Minato pushed forward and performed a sword bash. Due to the obvious difference in strength, Misha is easily knocked off balance.

‘Oh no!’

“Take this!”

Not wasting his chance, Minato stepped forward and successfully landed a downward swing.

“Guah…!”

“One more!”

Not stopping there, Minato added a sideway slash, and this time, he sent Misha flying.

“Misha!” his teammates shouted in worry.

The boy rolled safely, but it’s clear he has difficulty standing.

“Ugh…”

“Battle points, down by 25%.”

The momentum swayed back to Atlantic’s favor.

“What should he do?” Reika asked in panic. “Is the difference too big after all?”

Mei didn’t answer, silently hoping that Misha will regain the flow.

“Haah… Haah…”

Misha slowly got up, but his hand shook that he end up dropping his Siebog.

“A, ah…!”

“Misha! Are you—“

“Don’t come closer!”

“Eh…?”

Minato was taken aback but complied nonetheless. With his hand finally stop shaking, Misha picked up his kinzhal and returned to fighting stance.

“…it’s alright. My wrists just hurt a bit.”

“But—“

“Minato, please. Don’t.”

“Ah…”

“I appreciate your kindness, but please save it for later. As for now…”

In spite of the apparent disadvantage, Misha’s eyes glinted dangerously, something almost everyone noticed.

‘He’s tough. Got to give it to him.’ Sigulf mentally commented.

“…very well. Then I won’t hold back!” Minato answered his request.

‘Oh, will I get to see his Arms’ second form?’

Having ascertained each other’s resolve, Minato rushed to clash with Misha again.

‘…tch, too bad.’

“You were hoping to see it too, huh?” Alba quipped, as if she read Sigulf’s mind.

“…you know me.”

“Well, I’m your tag partner, after all.” She winked.

Sigulf said nothing and seemingly focused back on the match.

‘…don’t just wink like that. That was actually cute…’ was what he actually thought.

Of course there’s no way he’d knew what she has on mind.

‘Why did I do thaaaaat!? So embarrassing!’ Alba mentally regretted.

The Gallowglass nearly missed the increasingly intense blade exchanges if not for the other spectators’ reaction.

“Kh…!”

“Guh…!”

Among the numerous clashes, some strikes managed to slip in to both parties.

“Battle points, down by 20%.”

“Battle points, down by 30%.”

“Haah!”

With a strong blow, Minato forced Misha into defending and knocked him away.

“Ugh…”

Having reeled from the force, Misha jammed his leg to brake.

“You…”

Even though it’s 55-25 for Minato, Misha can’t help but to smile.

“You’re strong…!”

“You too!”

“Misha-dono…” Reika muttered.

“Even though it came down to this, he still enjoyed it whole-heartedly…” Kouji noted. “That’s really commendable.”

The crowd calmed down, with some of them seemingly touched by Misha’s determination.

“Let’s go, Minato!”

“Yeah, let’s decide this!”

Kicking the ground as strong as they can, Minato and Misha charged towards each other for a final clash.

“”Haaaaaaah!!””

Taking off into the air, Minato spun his body diagonally and unleashed an aerial slash.

“Gooo!!”

‘Then, I…!’

“Oooooohh!!”

“!?”

Misha increased his pace, jumped at a very low angle and converted it into a slide, passing cleanly beneath Minato.

“Kh…!”

He forced his body to turn around, and his hand to stop himself from sliding.

“I won’t let this end!!”

At the same moment Minato’s Sky Fencer bashed the empty ground, Misha has already leapt, ready to stab his defenseless back.

“!?”

“Minato, no!!” his groupies yelled in unison.

“Yaaaaah!!”

“Uargh…!”

Misha’s attack connected cleanly, and seemingly knocked Minato off balance.

“Battle points, down by 35%. 20% remaining”

‘I got hi—‘

“!?”

Much to Misha’s surprise, Minato managed to grab his wrist before he could jump away to safety, despite nearly falling down.

“…sorry.”

Letting his wrist go, Minato then delivered a powerful upswing which thrashed Misha across the area.

“Gah…”

Misha touched the ground with a thud, and his teammates could only look in resignation.

“…as expected from Crimson Ronin’s son.” Kouji praised.

“Battle point 0, cannot continue duel. Winner, Minato Amakawa from Atlantic Academy.”

The spectators promptly exploded into cheering. Minato, exhaling out of relief, dematerialized his Arms and approached Misha.

“Whoa, did you see that, Siggy?” Alba asked. “Quite a move, isn’t it?”

“Huh, who would’ve thought…” Sigulf agreed. “Gotta think for a counter-measure when my hands are already full with dual-wielding…”

“Right, right… When it comes to him, there’s no such thing as over-preparing.”

Back to the grounds, Reika hurriedly tends for Misha.

“Misha-dono! Are you alright!?”

“I, I’m fine… Sorry I lost…”

“It’s alright… Here, let me see your hand.” Mei joined and checked his wrists. “Hmm… It is indeed hurting, but nothing dangerous.”

“I told you.” Misha tried to smile.

“Smirnov-san.”

Getting called by Minato, Misha slowly got up with the help of Mei and Reika.

“It’s Misha.”

“Eh?”

“Well, you told me to call you by ‘Minato’, so…”

“O, oh, right. Misha-san. So, uhh…”

The Russian boy giggled.

“Congrats, Minato.” He extended his hand. “It was a nice fight. And… You’re really strong.”

“Likewise…!” Minato accepted his handshake.

“I promise I’ll get stronger, and next time…!”

“Then, I’ll be waiting…!”

The crowd cheered and applauded them, even without Eliot’s cue.

“It’s really nice when rivalry goes like this.” Eliot commented.

Minato parted with the Pacifics and returned to his own group.

“I’m back! …hm?”

However, the atmosphere surrounding his girls isn’t a pleasant one.

“Ooh, congratulations on your victory, Amakawa!” Eurypha greeted, forcing a smile. “Must be nice going over a cutie you’re close with, huh?”

“W, what? What do you mean?”

‘Oh, this again? Yaaay.’ Sigulf thought.

“I mean, it’s pretty nice to get chummy and call each other by name, right?” Carmen joined.

“…huh? I don’t see the problem.”

“Could it be that you are into cross-dressers?” Ilma bluntly asked.

“What are you trying to say!? Besides, didn’t all of you call me by name during the match?”

There was a slight pause before Carmen retorted, “Well, of course, duh! Like I usually do!”

Eurypha and Ilma, however, didn’t manage to immediately answer and turned beet red. Ilma opted to turn her face away, while Eurypha finally blurted, “I, it was spur of the moment, y-you idiot! I, it’s not l-like—“

“Gaaah, stop hogging everyone, Amakawa!” Walter protested, followed by Yuu nodding in approval.

Sigulf watched them in silent amusement, trying his best not to grin.

“Hey, hey, Siggy.” Alba tugged his sleeve.

“Hm?”

“I wonder… Are you into girls like Hestianus?”

“…exactly like her personality?”

She nodded.

“What makes you come up with that in the first place?”

“I dunno…?” Alba shrugged. “Maybe you find them cute like some guys do?”

“Well, yeah, some do. But not me…” he sighed.

12