Chapter 5, part 3
479 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having satisfied with their dine-in, Sigulf and Celina left the restaurant happily.

“Thanks for today.”

“Please don’t mention it. It was part of the promise, after all.” Celina lightly shook her head. “Besides… I actually had my share of fun too.”

“Ah, I see. That’s good to hear.”

Sigulf noticed some other students watched them walking together, but he tried his hardest not to pay attention.

“Say, Sigulf…”

“Hm?”

“If you need some help, then please don’t hesitate to ask me. I’ll try my best to support you.”

“Eh?” Sigulf stopped walking. “Is this… Related to what I have told you?”

“To be frank, yes. …or is it an unnecessary nuisance? In that case, I—“

“No, no, no, please don’t be.” He quickly interrupted. “I’m happy with your concern, but for now, I believe I can manage.”

“Hmm… Well, if you say so. But still, don’t push yourself too hard, okay?”

“Understood!”

‘I’m glad she cares, but I can’t rely on her for everything.’

“By the way,” Sigulf continued. “How about tomorrow? Do we still have practice?”

“Oh? Itching for some practice already?”

“Yeah… Is it okay?”

“It depends. How do you feel?”

“Umm, I feel refreshed actually…”

“Ah, very nice. I guess we’re good to go tomorrow.” She smiled. “I won’t hold back, so don’t overexert yourself today.”

“Yes, thank you, Ma’am!” Sigulf playfully saluted. “I’m in your care!”

“That’s the spirit!”

“…ah, one more thing.”

“Yes?”

“What should I do with this?”

“Isn’t that Alba’s plushie? What about it?”

‘…shit, after all that talk about doing things myself, yet I’m too embarrassed to hand this over!’

“Hmm? Oh, I think I get it…”

‘Geh!’

“Well, I actually don’t mind, but…” Celina put her finger on her own lips. “Don’t you think it would be better if you give it yourself? You know, teammates and all?”

“I… Suppose so.”

“Right? Don’t worry, I’m sure she will be happy to receive it!” Celina smiled.

“T, thank you…”

‘Why don’t I feel much happier despite her encouragements? Tohohoh…’

———

Meanwhile, Alba was working out in her own room.

“168… 169… 170…”

Hard as she might tried, her conversation with Chelsea upon escaping the restaurant keeps coming back to her.

———

“Are you fine with this?”

“Eh? You worry too much! It’s Siggy we’re talking about here! Celina will be fine!”

“I’m not talking about her. I’m talking about you.”

“…what are you saying? I’m his friend! And a friend should support their pal as much as possible, right?”

“Alba, you…”

———

She fiercely shook her head to dismiss the memory.

‘Focus, focus! If I have the time to feel blue, then I’d rather use it to train…!’

“Alba, are you inside?”

“Waah!?”

Sigulf’s sudden voice and knocking made her stumble. She hurriedly stood up and went to open the door.

“Oh, hey, Siggy!”

“Yo. Umm, were you in the middle of something?”

“Just exercising a bit. So… What is it?”

“Well, err…”

Sigulf hesitates a bit, but he took out the unicorn plush from the bag nonetheless.

‘Oh…’

“So I won this in the game center, but I already have one and another would be too much, so…”

“You’ve been playing around, huh?”

“Hey, I need some cooling down too.”

“…well, thanks.”

“Umm, is it not to your liking?”

“Eh!? Ah, no, no, no! I’m just a bit tired from training!”

“I, I see… Sorry for disturbing then. And don’t forget to rest.”

“No worries! And you too; don’t play too much!”

“I’m not… Well, uhh, see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah… And thanks for the plush.”

Sigulf waved as he turned around, heading back to his own room.

“…”

Closing the door, Alba went back inside.

“…idiot, now I can’t just throw this away, can I?”

She held the plush and took a good look at it.

“…no, this kid did nothing wrong.”

Alba then hugged it tightly while burying her face on top of its head.

“Stuuupiiid Siggyyyyyyyyy!”

——–

On almost the same time, Celina was visiting Chelsea on her room.

“Waah, how cute! Thank you!” Chelsea said upon receiving her gift. “I suppose the date went well?”

“I, it wasn’t— …well, we had fun at the very least. And I got to know him a bit more.”

“Hmm…”

‘Well, I did eavesdrop on them with Alba…’

“So, any plans for a second date with him?” Chelsea continued.

“Eh? I don’t know… I haven’t even thought about it. Why do you ask? You want to come along next time?”

“That’s… Not what I meant, but…”

“Hm?”

“Cel, maybe… Just maybe… Aren’t you a little bit too trusting?”

“Of him? Well… What’s to distrust?”

“…you sure like him a lot.”

“I do.”

Her statement made Chelsea gasp. Of course, she quickly realized it and went red.

“N, no, no, no! That’s not what I meant! Not in that way!” Celina stammered. “I, I mean… He’s serious in both dueling and council duties, event though he could have rejected the latter. And I think… The way he treats me quite normally is fairly admirable…”

“Oh, Cel…” Chelsea sighed. “You…”

“E, enough about me! Don’t you like him too?”

“Me? I wonder about that…”

“You did call him a cute underclassman, though…”

“Y, you still remember that?” now’s her turn to get flustered. “W, well duh! With a face like that, of course he’s a hottie! It’s just—“

“And you’re the one who teased about me and him in the first place…”

“I, I’m sorryyy! I just thought it was funny if it could make you open up, and— …well, you kind of did, didn’t you?”

“…what are you trying to pull here?” Celina sighed. “So you don’t hate him?”

“Hate is too strong of a word, but… I don’t think I like him as much as you do.”

“S, stop it already. What’s with you and him anyway?”

“That’s…”

“Is it something I really mustn’t know?”

“…Cel, what if I told you that he joined the Council just to woo you?”

Celina widened her eyes for a moment before regaining composure.

“O, oh… I thought it was something dangerous…”

“Not ‘oh’! He joined with a less-than-pure intention!”

“How do you know that?”

“…you’re the one who said I know the boys better than you. It’s easy when you look at him.”

“R, right, I did say that…”

“Aren’t you bothered by it?”

“I’d say so if I did. Besides, if he indeed joined to… c, court me, then he’s quite the dedicated one. And daring.”

Chelsea covered her face with her own hands.

“God save the Queen…! Can we really trust him on-board on our duty to better this school?”

“I don’t see how it is mutually exclusive. Assuming he does.”

“…well, you got a point there. But still…!”

“That’s enough. Why did we end up talking about Sigulf? I was here to pass the gift.” Celina sighed. “Anyways, we’ll train like usual tomorrow morning. You have no problems, right?”

“Eh? Oh, of course!”

“Alright. See you later, then.”

Celina turned away to leave, but it’s clear she was thinking and mumbling on her own.

“Sigulf… Courting me? It can’t be… But if it’s true—”

Chelsea saw nothing resembling annoyance or disgust on Celina’s face. Instead, she saw her cheeks went slightly rose tinted.

‘It had an opposite effect on her!?’

———

Meanwhile, back on Sigulf’s room…

“Ah-choo! …huh, strange. Did I catch a cold?”

“Good morning, Siggy boy!” Vigdis suddenly barged in.

“Wha— Knock the door first at least, Master.”

“It wasn’t locked, though? …were you touching yourself?”

“I’m not! How did you even come up with that!?”

Cackling, Vigdis closed the door and approached Sigulf.

“You look a bit sharp. Playing somewhere?”

“Well, uhh… I went out with Celina and—“

“Really!? Oh, I know you can do it!” Vigdis hugged him tight out of the blue. “Way to go!”

“M, Master, wait!” Sigulf pushed her and broke away. “It wasn’t what you think.”

“…what, so it wasn’t a date?”

“Well… We went to the game center and had some pasta…”

“Just the two of you?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Then it’s a date!”

“But she did say she’d rather call it a fancy lunch…”

“Ahahahahah! I see, I see! Better luck next time, then!”

“Ugh…”

“There, there. It’s not like she rejected you, did she? You still have a chance. Just take it easy, one step at a time. …ah! But don’t play too much and forget to train, too!”

“I know, I won’t.”

“How did you get to go out with her anyways?”

“A promise of sorts. Something to repay my council work and motivate me for yesterday’s duel, I think.”

“Ooh! So that’s why you fought so hard! And when both of you momentarily left the party—“

“Yeah, we were talking about that.”

“Hmm, I see, I see…”

Vigdis crossed her arms, seemingly thinking.

“What is it?”

“At first I thought she didn’t see you as a prospect boyfriend at all. Which would be funnier.”

“…”

“But… Maybe she’s actually interested in you?”

“Wha— Celina? In me? I… Wonder about that… I mean… I’m far below her level…”

“Well, yeah, obviously.” Vigdis said bluntly, making Sigulf cringe. “So what do you do to get on her level?”

“Huh? Err, practice hard with her.”

“Hmm. Feel anything different?”

“…I think I began to get used on her speed.”

Vigdis’ expression softened.

“Well, then there’s no problem.”

“What do you mean?”

“Just do what you usually do. Work hard on dueling. Be nice to her without being overbearing. Pretty sure no one likes a clingy person.”

“Don’t be clingy… Understood.”

“I don’t know about her, but that’s what I feel, anyway. Oh, and I like seeing someone do their best. Maybe she’s like that too?”

“Doing one’s best… I wonder… Have I done enough?”

“Only you yourself know the answer. But I believe in you. Who’s the one running around with all they have everytime we trained?” she grinned. “You might or might not be a talented genius, I don’t know. But you sure utilized your talents well!

“Master… Thank you very much…!”

“No biggie! I’m your (adopted) mother, it’s only natural to encourage you!” Vigdis smiled warmly. “…now, would you please massage my feet?”

“…what did you do again?”

“Hey, don’t give me that look! It was a rehab session with Eliot and Melanie.”

“Rehab? So that means—“

“I have no idea how will it go, but… Hey, maybe some day I’ll get to fight you with full strength! You better get much stronger by then!”

“Yeah, I will…! If it goes well, let’s have an all-out duel!”

“Now that’s a good answer! Alright, massage, massage!”

“Yes, yes. Just don’t… Moan like last time.”

“Oh, you perv~!”

“S, shut up…”

13