Chapter 5, part 10
438 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days, Sigulf found himself facing more challengers, despite what happened before with Siegward and Masaki.

“Ugh…!”

“Battle points, 0. Cannot continue duel. Winner, Sigulf Hrimgard.”

“Alright, another one down…!” Sigulf growled. “No more—“

“Then I shall be your next opponent!”

“…for Fenrir’s sake. Fine, just because you’re a girl, doesn’t mean I’ll go easy on you!”

“Hey, hey, don’t be like that!”

Not far from him who has just took out another student, Alba was on the field as well, with her claymore hoisted over her shoulder.

“Isn’t it fun getting to know other students better?” she continued.

“…I don’t know about that.”

‘Well, at least I got to see different fighting styles… That’s learning.’

“If you don’t put your mind on it, then you’ll never catch up!”

“Miss Hunter!” one of the boys stepped forward. “Please let me be your next opponent!”

“Oh, so you’re next, huh? Alright, bring it on!”

“Man, they sure treat her nicely…”

“Kh…! Hrimgard, I’m your opponent here!”

“Oh, my bad.”

With a single flick, Sigulf deflected her attack and landed a strike. From the sidelines, Siegward and Masaki were observing their duels.

“You’re not going to join?” he asked.

“Not now. I must gather additional info first. …that said, they sure are very strong.”

———

Both Sigulf and Alba finally finished their gauntlet around sunset. Celina and Chelsea, who were watching all the time, came over to their side.

“Great work, you two.” Celina congratulated.

“Here, here, post-victory drink.” Chelsea added.

“Ah, thank you.”

Sigulf and Alba took a sip out of their water bottles.

“Whew…”

“Looks like my worry was for naught.” Celina continued.

“Eh? What do you mean?”

“Well… Looking at you yesterday, I was a bit worried you lost your love for dueling. But judging from today—“

“A, ah, that… I don’t think I would stop dueling even if I want to. But still, sorry to make you worry.”

“Ah, it’s alright. Maybe it’s less that, and more… Maybe you need a bit of stimulation?”

“…Cel, you sounded like the Principal just now.”

“E, eh!? T, that’s not what I meant!” she realized. “I was thinking maybe I should try to have an actual duel with him, or—“

“I, I know. Don’t worry.” Sigulf quickly assured. “Wait, an actual duel? Without limiters?”

“Yes. I felt you need to blow off some steam yesterday, and that’s what crossed my mind first. You… Don’t mind, right?”

“…well, it’s inevitable, sooner or later. And I’m still working towards that, so…”

“I see. Good to hear, then.”

“Ah-hem.” Alba cleared her throat. “You better mean it, else the others and I will leave you behind. You are my rival after all.”

“I know, I know. And there’s still Amakawa, and—“

“What!? Do you mean I’m not your only rival!? How could you!?”

Feigning anger, she playfully punched Sigulf’s arm multiple times.

“Ow, stop it.”

———

On weekend, after all four done practicing like usual…

“Oh, are you going already?” Celina asked to Sigulf.

“Yeah, sorry about that. I—“

“Sheesh, what’s with the hurry?” Chelsea reprimanded. “You should at least fill your stomach first!”

“Eeehh… But I wanted to check on my Master…”

“Now that you mentioned it… We haven’t seen her again since the interschool match, have we?”

“Yeah, I think she’s busy with her rehab.”

“Hmm… Then how about we grab our breakfasts on the way and visit her together?” Celina suggested.

“Eh, seriously? Well, as long as we don’t eat while walking…” Chelsea added.

“Munchy box! Munchy box!” Alba suddenly shouted, joining them.

“Yes, yes, but your balancing meal needs to be a whole box too.”

“Geh…!”

“Oh, you’re joining us?” Sigulf asked.

“Yeah. Maybe I can ask her about some embarrassing stories from when you were a kid.”

“…I have no such experience.”

———

With breakfast in hand, they went to the guest house happily.

“…eh? Why is the door open?” Sigulf noticed from a distance.

“Ah, you are right. Did something…?”

He didn’t immediately reply and hastened his pace a bit. It was then when heard someone arguing.

“Master!?”

Sigulf broke into a run and intruded the room.

“—gard!? Wait, don’t—“

“Master, are you— …ah.”

It was bizarre sight to him. A half naked Eliot was seemingly being forced to undress by Vigdis and Melanie, both obviously dead drunk.

“Oh… Good morning, boy!” Vigdis greeted cheerfully.

———

It took a while before the situation went under control, and Eliot ends up scolding his old schoolmates in front of the students.

“By the Gods, have some self-control will you!? Why would you two got drunk early in the morning!?”

“Uu, I’m sorry… I won’t do it again…” Vigdis looked genuinely remorseful. “…maybe.”

“Don’t say maybe…!”

“Come on, Elly.” Melanie interjected. “A bit of celebration won’t hurt, will it?”

“It’s still too soon for that.” Eliot retorted while rubbing his temples. “If you want to party, you have all night. What would the students say— …well, they already did.”

“Boo, boo! You probably just don’t want the students see you in a cheerleader or nurse uniform!”

“What the— Why would you want me to crossdress!? That has nothing to do with the rehab!”

“Err…” Sigulf reluctantly raised his hand.

“Oh, good timing. Might I ask you why you are here?”

“Well, I wanted to see how’s Master doing, but…”

“Ah, right. I’m sorry you have to see all that…” Eliot sighed. “Truth be told, it’s actually going slow but well, though admittedly I didn’t do much. It’s mostly Vigdis’ own effort and Melanie’s medical assistance.”

“I see….”

The women flashed v-signs and went “Yaaay!”, evidently still being tipsy.

“But seriously, if only they could dial back the alcohol…” he sighed. “I think I can imagine how hard it was for you.”

“Ehh, I’m used to it.”

“What do you mean by that!?” Vigdis protested, earning a chuckle from Melanie.

“So, did you train well?” Eliot continued.

“Ah, yes. All thanks to them.” Sigulf gestured to his companions.

“Hmm, being coached by Bartram and Kensington, I see.”

“Sir.” The council duo saluted to him.

“”It’s alright, we are on off-day. Might I ask your opinions about how they fare?”

Sigulf and Alba went slightly nervous.

“Hmm, I think it might be a bit too early to judge, but Sigulf and Alba are among the best 1st-years so far.”

“Among the best… I’m guessing Amakawa is the other candidate?”

“I believe so.”

‘Him, huh? Not too surprising.’ Sigulf thought.

“Hmm…”

“Is something wrong, Sir?”

“Ah, no. I’m just thinking whether they have points which must be improved.”

“Mm, this is just my opinion, but I think Sigulf needs to work a bit on his defenses, while Alba must do the same with her speed. Otherwise, nothing much besides the basics, then taking and intensifying it from there.”

“Well said.”

“…I’ll try my best on that.” Sigulf responded.

“Ugh, so I am a bit slow, after all…” Alba groaned.

“Well, comparatively slow among this Academy’s fastest. Though, I’m sure you can do it.” Chelsea explained. “Anyways, how about we eat our breakfast before it went cold?”

“Oh, right. I’m a bit hungry. Muuunchyyyyy!”

“Calm down, the food’s going nowhere. Sir, Miss, I bought some for you too.”

“Oh… Even if you didn’t have to… Sorry for the trouble.”

“No, no, it’s fine.”

“Fooood!” Vigdis exclaimed with joy.

“But no alcohol for you two! Have mineral water instead.”

“Eeh!? Why!?”

“Now, now, let’s play along for now. We don’t want Elly to get mad again.” Melanie comforted her.

“…so it’s because of me instead of something else more rational?”

“Miss Vigdis, Miss Vigdis!” Alba called.

“Hmm?”

“Do you have any stories about Siggy? You know, when he was younger.”

“Ooh, I think I got one!” she immediately bounced back from being gloomy. “You see, there was a time—“

“Master, please stop it. And don’t make up stories.” Sigulf sighed.

“Sigulf’s childhood stories, huh? To be honest, I’m a bit curious about it too.” Celina giggled.

“Wait, you too!?”

“Oh, nice! Tell me too!” Chelsea joined.

The ladies got lively in no time, and Eliot can only glance at Sigulf sympathetically.

“Be strong, Hrimgard.”

“…yes, Sir.”

———

Sigulf and the others excused themselves about an hour later, wanting to return and get some rest at their dorms.

‘I’m sorry, son. But next time I’ll make sure to see you more often!’

‘Ah, it’s alright, Master. Just do your best with your rehab.’

‘Kuuh, stop trying to sound cool! Well, good luck with your training… and some other thing too!’

Remembering their conversation just before they part ways, Sigulf went slightly red.

‘Some other things, huh…’ he stole a glance towards Celina, who was chatting happily with Chelsea.

“…hmm? Siggy, that guy… Do you know him?”

“Eh? What?”

Alba’s sudden question whisked Sigulf back to reality.

“I think he’s been looking at you.”

“A, another guy looking at him passionately!?”

Sigulf chose to ignore Chelsea’s outburst and observed the boy in question.

‘He… …who?’

True to what Alba said, a boy stood a fair distance from them. Seemingly has a bleached blonde hair and a tanned darker skin, Sigulf couldn’t determine whether he was a student from another class or a visitor.

“…”

The boy began taking a few steps towards him… Before vanishing into thin air.

“!?”

“This is…!? Sigulf, watch out!”

He immediately rushed faster than the eyes can follow, and stopped the boy right in the middle of his path; the attacker has already summoned his Arms without incantation, forcing Sigulf to do the same.

“Thanks for the warning…!”

“Oh…? So it wasn’t a fluke.”

‘This guy… He could match my strength?’

Sigulf’s attacker wields an ornate cavalry saber, which somehow took his Fenrir to a standstill.

“Heh, interesting! But…!”

The assailant broke away for a split second, aiming for another swing. But before he can do so…

“Hm!? Don’t interfere!”

Alba jumped from his right side and brought her claymore down. However…

“What the— He stopped Braveheart!?”

“Hee, this is unexpected…”

‘Even matching her Arms… But then that means…!’

Sigulf charged in for another attack.

‘If he’s equally tied against each of us, then there’s no way he could took both us at the same time!’

“Alba!”

“Tch…!”

The boy realized his situation, and jumped far away, not wanting to take additional risks. Still, he didn’t show any sign of withdrawing his Arms.

“You! What’s your problem attacking him out of the blue!?” Alba roared. “Are you one of those nobles!?”

“Nobles? Aah, damn Europeans and their silly circus. But how could you mistake me for them?”

“…what?”

He grinned arrogantly, not letting go of his gaze against the Gallowglass.

“I’m looking for some pushover named Hrimgard and Amakawa, but it seems another one has escaped my attention…”

“So you know our names…” Sigulf noted. “Then you are…”

12