Chapter 5, part 12
428 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A new sunrise on Sunday. Far across the ocean, some Pacific students were discussing about the latest incident, or rather, the boy responsible for it.

“…how was he?”

“He’s been strangely calm for some reason.”

“Really? Now that’s… Quite scary.”

“Hmm? Why’s that?”

“You know, he would normally be on edge, training violently and thrashing stuff…”

“Aah, I get what you mean… Still, as much as talented he is, Ashfield is far too unruly. Maybe we should look for and develop another prospect.”

“…I don’t know about that. I’m still willing to bet on his abilities, but—“

Little did they know, the young man in question has his mind on something else entirely. Inside his detaining room, Jack was sitting on the floor and gazed outside, apparently resting after some practice.

“Alba Hunter…” he mumbled.

———

Meanwhile, back on Atlantic’s artificial island…

“Wha—!?”

“Huh? What’s wrong?”

“I’m not sure…!” Alba said, reaching the back of her neck. “I just felt something chillingly creepy!”

“I don’t really get it, but…?”

“Hmm…” Chelsea frowned, thinking. “I’m a bit worried, but for now, let’s just focus on the training at hand.”

“”Yes, Ma’am!””

———

After practice, when the four were having breakfast at the usual café…

“Oooi, Sig-kun.”

“Hm? Oh, hey…”

Sigulf raised his head to see Yuu coming over at him.

“Morning! Worked some nice sweat?”

“Yeah, as usual…” Sigulf answered a bit uncertainly while eyeing his track outfit, making Yuu confused.

“Hm? What’s with that look?”

“I’m actually surprised you bothered to train on a day off.”

“…well, duh, I have to. All alone at that. Unlike you, who get to have fun…” he retorted, relentlessly poking Sigulf’s side with his finger.

“H, hey! Stop it! I’m eating!”

“Ah-hem.” Chelsea deliberately cleared her throat. “Kanzaki, you do know it’s improper to disturb one’s meal time?”

“Oh, my bad, Kensington-senpai! By the way, you and Bartram-senpai looked lovely as always.”

She nearly coughed in reaction, while Celina merely gave a wry chuckle.

“Where did that came from!?”

“From the bottom of my heart~” he obviously lied. “Oh, I almost forgot. Can I borrow Sig-kun for a moment?”

“…don’t try to headlock me again.” Sigulf quickly said.

“I won’t, I won’t! …maybe.”

“…well, as long as you don’t disturb the others.”

“Understood! I’ll return him later!”

“Excuse me…”

“It’s alright, take your time.” Celina replied to Sigulf.

Yuu lead him not too far away from the girls and began whispering.

“Sooo… How far did you go with Bartram-senpai?”

“What, so you wanted to know about that… I think I’ve been better lately, on fighting against her speed—“

“…you do know I’m not talking about that.”

“…aren’t we Duelists?”

“…well, okay, we are. So I change my question: have you gone on another date with her?”

“No. Not yet—“

“What!? Why!?” Yuu asked, almost raising his voice.

“…because I haven’t got the moment? There’s the B-class, and then Ashfield—”

“Maybe, but you can’t keep on waiting…! It’s not even has to be a date; you can ask her to have some tea together. Or coffee.”

“But we always had afternoon tea after council—“

“…oh right, I forgot. You damned riajuu.”

“Reea what?”

“It’s a bit troublesome to explain.” Yuu dismissed. “But anyways, it’s not like there were only two of you, right?”

“Yeah, Chelsea is usually there.”

“I thought so…”

“…so, what?”

“I don’t know, ask her for something else that is not tea or coffee?”

“…but what? Uuugh…”

From their table, the girls watched them continue their secret conversation.

“They got so serious, it looks fun.” Celina giggled. “I wonder what they are talking about.”

“Probably just pervy things.” Chelsea responded. “You know, boys.”

“Hrrrm…” Alba crossed her arms. “Siggy being Siggy, I don’t think he’s really like that, but… Yuu might influence him…”

“Then shouldn’t we stop them…!?”

“W, whoa, I was just kidding, Cel.” the brunette quickly clarified.

———

Their breakfast ended without any incidents, and all of them decided to walk home together. Except…

“Yuu.”

“Yes?”

“Why are you walking a bit far behind?”

“Ooh, that. Well, I can’t really walk that fast after a heavy exercise.”

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, please don’t worry!”

“…well, if you say so.” Sigulf sighed. “By the way, you said you were practicing on your own? Why don’t you—“

“Oh, is this an invitation!?”

“…I was going to ask why you don’t invite someone else, but…”

“Chee, Sig-kun, you’re not fun…”

“But maybe he’s right…” Alba said. “Is it possible for him to join us?”

“Hmm…” Chelsea looked unsure. “Our practice will get bigger, then… What do you think, Cel?”

“Hm? I actually don’t mind.” Celina answered confidently. “As long as he is up to it.”

Even though she was genuinely considering, if anything, it unnerved Yuu.

“…on a second thought, thank you, but I think I’ll train on my own for now…”

“Oi, oi. What’s with that?” Sigulf asked in slight exasperation. “So you’ll look for someone else?”

“Maybe, but Armstrong-kun is… Well, Armstrong-kun. As for Amakawa-kun… He is out of the question.”

“Why? It’s not like they are going to butcher you immediately, are they?”

“I’d rather not risk that. Although, now that you mentioned it… Hmm… Two of our class’ big 3 girls are there… What should I do?”

“Wha— You still remember that?” Alba responded, nearly stumbling her own steps.

“Of course we won’t forget. Yay to our Heroine-san!”

“Umm, yay?” Sigulf followed, though being uncertain.

“K, knock it off…!”

“Oh yeah, whatever happened with that?”

“The poll? I don’t know, haven’t heard anything from him.” Yuu explained. “Maybe he actually stopped for good?”

“Hmm…”

———

Having finally reached the dorm, everyone returned to their respective rooms. Sigulf did additional exercises even after all that before taking a bath, if only to try to clear his mind.

‘Man, I know I have to ask her out again, but… I wanted to fight, and there’s still more of them coming…’

———

Staying inside his room didn’t help much, so Sigulf decided to go outside again, to get some fresh air.

‘…and here I am, already checking on possible places to visit.’ He sighed.

Sigulf took a stroll along the amusement area, looking at the buildings around.

‘Cafes are… Well, as long as we eat something new, I guess it’s okay? Cinemas… Might try. Game centers… No, we already went there, unless she really likes it somehow. Shopping… What would we buy?’

He suddenly stopped walking as he realized something.

‘Come to think of it, I don’t know much of her yet.’ Sigulf thought. ‘What are her hobbies? I knew she enjoyed the fighting game, but… Or is it related to the plushes? She did look overjoyed at those…’

He sighed once more, setting his gaze upwards.

“…I want to know her more. I have to.” Sigulf muttered.

“Then do so?”

“Whoah!?”

Sigulf jumped out from his spot, to see Lindorm was already behind him.

“Good day, kinsman.” He greeted.

“Lindy, don’t scare him like that…” Laine came along, sighing at her friend.

“Eh? But I—“

“…no, it’s alright. Since when you are here?”

“From when you said you wanted to know her more.”

“Geh…!”

“You can do it.” He encouraged.

“Oho?” Laine got her interest piqued. “Wolfboy likes someone?”

“Isn’t it the President?”

“Wha— Wait—!!”

There was a slight pause before Laine narrowed her eyes.

“…seriously? Why did Amakawa, and then you, have to brought over your silly love stories to the Council?”

“…sorry about that.”

“Eh? It wasn’t allowed?” Lindorm sounded genuinely surprised.

“Actually there’s no such rules…” she sighed. “But imagine if the two focused on their love pursuits instead. Our jobs would be much harder…”

Sigulf wanted to retort, but decided not to.

‘Reasons aside, she’s not exactly wrong… Now how do I limit the thoughts? Uuugh…’

“Don’t say that.” Lindorm said while gently poking Laine’s shoulder repeatedly. “Shouldn’t we help our juniors?”

“I dunno about th— Wait, stop that.”

He said nothing but obliged nonetheless.

“So, uhh…”

“But seriously… The President, of all people? You better don’t neglect your duties and screw up, a’ight? Help her for real.”

“Yes, Ma’am! My apologies!”

‘I guess I’m safe for now…?’

“Man… Did she know about this?”

“No idea. Can’t really tell…”

“…did you ever send her any inappropriate messages? I mean, I did give her number to you…”

“I did not!”

———

It took a while with Lindorm’s goading before Laine relents and lets Sigulf go. Still, she left some words of warning.

‘Remember what I said. Don’t cause her inconvenience.’

‘…I have to take this more seriously.’ He thought.

Sigulf took a long look at Celina’s number on his phone before putting it back into his pocket.

‘Some other time for sure.’

He was about to resume his stroll when a figure sitting on the roadside café across him caught his attention.

‘Isn’t that—‘

“…”

Just like before, the Principal was working outdoors. One thing that’s a bit different was the air around her.

‘Something’s feels off…’

Curious, Sigulf dared himself to approach Victoria.

9