Chapter 6, part 7
396 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Across the ocean and continent, where another group of young duelists trained…

“Haah!”

“Tch… How annoying…!”

Two boys, namely Jack and Ralf, were testing each other’s strengths. From the sidelines, the recently-hired freeloading middle-aged Japanese man calmly observed.

“Hmm… I see, I see…”

Armed with a cadet saber, Ralf pressed on the offence.

“An opening…! There!”

However, it’s evidently clear that Jack still is the stronger one.

“What a joke…!”

“Wha—!?”

“Time’s up! That’s enough!”

If not for their coach’s intervention, Jack would have followed up on his successful parry.

“…tch, again.”

“Phew, so it’s still not good enough…?”

Winning by another timeout, Jack seemed even more upset than Ralf was.

“Alright, good work, y’all.” The older man commended. “Ralf, that was close, but don’t be too hasty next time.”

“Yes! I’m sorry, Sir!”

“And you…”

“…what? Are you gonna say I have nothing to improve on?” Jack mocked.

“Almost. But well… It’s up to yourself whether you can still grow or not.”

“…the hell? Then what’s the point—“

“I coach the others too, not just you.” He quickly cut off.

“Oh, really? Then why’s—“

“You can’t lie to yourself. You do know how the others, especially Ralf, have grown.”

“…”

“And you do know the reason that—“

“’That I can’t get any stronger’? Hah, nice joke. One full of shit, at that. Like I’d listen to some fraud like you.”

“Oi, Jack! That’s not how you speak—“

Kouji, who was watching their practice together, scolded him. Unfortunately, the younger boy paid no attention and walked away.

“…man, he’s really a handful.” The Japanese man sighed.

“My apologies, Sir. He’s…”

“Eh, it’s not your fault. …so, you know something about him? Like, what’s his problem?”

“Well…” Kouji paused, looking for the right words. “I don’t think I have much, but as far as I can tell, he’s an orphan. But…”

“He either lived on the streets, or spent his days on some juvenile home?”

“It’s the latter. I heard he often got into fights before entering illegal duel rings.”

“Ah, figures. So I guess this Academy heard about his skills, now matter how unruly he is, and—“

“…yes, precisely. I am the one who was tasked to handle him.”

“Uwah, talk about saintly.” The man responded. “That must have taken a toll on your patience. Don’t you ever get pissed at him?”

“I’d rather not get too emotional about it.” Kouji answered. “I believe in his strength, his potential. And so, I too, want to believe that I can…”

“…I see. That’s admirable of you, but still, I do think of you being… Too nice? Yeah, I guess that’s it.”

“Too nice, huh…”

“Yep. …or so I said, but my son is kinda like that too! Can’t leave a troubled person on their own! What was I thinking again, lecturing others for being too nice? Hahahah!”

“Ahahah, but I must say, that’s a good mentality for him to have.”

“I’m positive, he must’ve gotten it from his mother and grandma.” The coach nodded somewhat proudly.

“—1000…! Alright!” Mei said. “Sir, I have finished my set!”

“Oh, you’re done? Good work, good work.”

“Then I can— …huh? Where’s Jack?”

“He left earlier.” Kouji sighed.

“Tch… That guy… I haven’t even sparred with him recently.”

“Wait, really? Hmm…” the man pondered. “In that case… Ralf, are you done resting? Can you spar with Mei?”

“Eh?” Ralf raised his face upon being addressed. “I don’t really mind, but…”

“But what?”

“No, I mean, will it be enough, training against me?”

“Naah, it’s OK. Don’t worry about that.”

Mei accepted the coach’s suggestion and raised her wolf teeth mace, pointing it at him.

“Truth be told, I’m curious about you too. Show me what you hide.”

“Alright then…! Let’s do our best!”

“Oh, in high spirits, aren’t you? Okay, get in position.”

With his order, Mei and Ralf immediately took some distance and readied their weapons.

“Ready…? Fight!!”

In a split second from his cue, both students are already engaged in a deadlock.

“So fast, yet strong…! But I won’t lose!”

“Likewise…!”

Leaving them to train, the man squatted and watched calmly once more.

“But, he’s really intriguing, isn’t he? That Ralf kid, I mean.”

“Ah, he certainly is.”

“Even though he’s classified as a B-class duelist, being able to stall Jack long enough, as well as his rapid growth lately… You sure the school didn’t make some mistake?”

“…I’m baffled about that too.”

“Seriously… And… The one in charge of him is…”

“It’s her.”

Kouji motioned towards the opposing side of the field, where a tall blonde girl observed Ralf’s sparring with a serious expression.

“Oh, yes, yes. Her… Samantha Baker, wasn’t it? You don’t seem to like her. You got some history?”

“Eh? Oh, no, it’s nothing like that. It’s just that she’s my fiercest rival, both in dueling and mentoring…”

“Aah, I see, I see… So I guess she doesn’t trust your faith in Jack, huh?”

“…unfortunately, yes.”

“I see… Well, I guess no matter where you are, problems are bound to show up. Just like the Atlantics.”

“Oh, speaking of which, is it about the nobles’ invasion few days ago?”

“Yeah, that one. Pretty ridiculous, huh? I know their school has that kind of tendency, but…”

“On the bright side, the students managed to repel them somehow. And considering the invader’s status, the like-minded nobility will think twice before pulling it again. …or so I heard.”

“You’re not wrong. The attackers claimed descent from the famed Charlemagne; at the very least, they have the skills to back it up. Of course, people will talk about it, especially when they got pushed back. …though, with some teaching staff’s help, to be honest.”

“Hee, I see…”

“…strange. That was exactly one point I hated about my alma mater, but now I become their opponent, I couldn’t help but to feel glad when I hear about it.”

“Ah, that’s right, you did mention about you attending Atlantic Academy before.” Kouji pointed out.

“How interesting.” The man finally grinned while still watching Mei and Ralf’s sparring. “When will we pay them another visit?”

“Hmm, normally it would be before summer.”

“Kaah, that long!? I can’t wait anymore!”

“It can’t be helped.” Kouji chuckled. “Oh, and still about the Atlantics, I heard they sent out some special invitations due to some of their students resigning.”

“Oh, right. That too. Invitations, huh… Hmm…”

———

“…!?”

“Huh, what’s the matter, Amakawa?” Walter asked

“I’m not sure, but suddenly I got a bad feeling…”

———

The next morning, a couple of familiar faces showed up early in the A-class.

“Looks like I’ll be in your care. Hope we can get along.”

“Oh, so you two got promoted.”

“Yeah. Better watch your back, Hrimgard, or we’ll steal the glory right in front of you.”

It seems like that the school has decided to grant Siegward and Masaki a promotion, partially due to the slight decrease in attendants.

“Hrimgard-kun sure is popular.” Minato laughed.

“…and what about the rest of us? Or Hunter?” Eurypha asked.

“Oh, don’t worry, Miss Hestianus. We too have no intentions to lose against you.” Siegward assured.

“Hmm… Is that so…?”

“So you are the ones who attacked Hunter and Hrimgard before… The whole Pacific debacle.” Carmen added.

“Um, yes. That was us.”

“And so the reason you didn’t came against us was something like… Hrimgard is more similar to you than Minato or the rest of us?”

“Eh, that’s just him, trying too hard to be dramatic. I simply thought there’s no way I can fight Amakawa head-on with you three around.”

“…Masaki, please.”

“…did she just count me among the three?” Ilma realized.

“Hmm, fair enough. Hearing your side of story, I kinda feel sorry for you now.”

“I know, right? I have to keep up with all that…”

The B-class newcomers sighed at the same time, though for different reasons.

‘Talk about complicated friendship…’ Sigulf thought.

“Now, now, no need to be so gloomy or edgy, since we became classmates.” Walter interjected. “If anything, this is calls for an afterschool party! Right Amakawa? Hrimgard?”

“…huh?”

“Eh? Oh, of course!”

“Wha— …well, I know he would be up for it.” Eurypha conceded.

“Isn’t it a bit too soon?” Yuu asked. “But, well, I see no harm in it. Are you going, Sig-kun?”

“Well, as long as I done my Council duties first.”

“Oh, sure. Or was it more like the chance to—“

“Oi, I do my job seriously too, you know?”

“Hm? Wait, what about me? Why don’t you ask about me?” Alba suddenly asked.

“Eh? If it’s you, Alba-san, as long as there is food, you will come, right?”

“You… …w, well, you’re right, though.”

“It won’t be the usual you without scarfing down a whole munchy box.” Sigulf nodded.

“Hey, hey, I needed the ener— Waah!? Wait, what are you doing?”

“Oh, sorry! Didn’t mean to surprise you.” Carmen apologized while holding Alba’s sides. “I’m envious, to be honest. How can you keep such slender figure? Is your training really that rigorous?”

“Eh? Umm, I guess?”

“…wow, scary. So she took it like normal practice routine. Hmm…”

“No, no, looking at her, even I found it mysterious too…” Sigulf pointed.

“What do you mean by that!?”

“Rosales-san, are you concerned with your… Umm, body?” Minato asked.

“Duh, of course. It’s normal to be a bit self-conscious, isn’t it?”

“Eh? But you are already charming enough to me.”

Almost immediately, Minato regretted his natural honesty.

“Mi, Minato…”

“Ah, n, no, I mean—“

“T, there’s no other way to interpret it, is it there!?” Eurypha retorted. “N, no flirting allowed!”

“Aah, that reminds me, I haven’t demanded a compensation for your indecency…” Ilma joined.

“Oh, come on! What’s with you two!?”

“…are they always like that?” Masaki asked in a whisper.

“Welcome to class A. You’ll get used to it.” Sigulf answered.

11