Preparing For Battle In The Old World
485 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What are you doing here!?" I exclaimed, "How did you get here!?"

"That's kinda rude, isn't it?" my mother asked.

"Will you get outta here?" I said, "This between me and her."

"Well, as long as you're not doing anything inappropriate..." my mother said.

"Just go!" I said.

"F-fine." she said, "You don't have to shout."

Then my mother left us alone.

"Alright." I said, "Spit it out. What did you come get me for?"

"It's about Nova." said Wendy, "She can't stay here."

"I already know that." I replied, "What do you want me to do about it?"

"Someone's after her." answered Wendy.

 

***

I couldn't believe it. My best friend and that weird guy that showed up in our world disappeared together, right in front of my eyes. That strange woman that attacked them seemed to have taken off in the confusion. All I could do was wonder what I could do. I wanted to find Nova, but she wasn't here anymore. How could I get to Oswin's world? Could I get to Oswin's world? I knew I had to do something.

"Are you just gonna stand there?" that strange woman that attacked us earlier asked.

"What do you want?" I said.

"Hmmph." she replied, "This complicates things."

"You... stay away from her!" I exclaimed.

"From what I hear, you're good with healing magic," said Naomi, "but... you're not very good at combat, are you?"

"Damn you." I replied.

"Whatever." responded Naomi, "I've got work to do."

"I won't let you kill her!" I yelled.

But she didn't respond to what I said at all. I knew what she said was true. I wasn't good in a fight like Nova was. However, despite that I knew I had to do something. Friends help each other out, after all. I went home, not knowing what to do and then I got an idea. What if her sister could help out? The Nevilles were known to pretty useful with their magic, after all. I quickly ran outside and went to their house and knocked on their door the hardest I ever had. The door quickly opened.

"Can you keep it down?" asked Clara.

"It's an emergency!" I said.

"Whoa... calm down." she said, "What happened?"

"It's about Nova!" I exclaimed, "She disappeared."

"Disappeared?" responded Clara, "What are you talking about?"

"She went... to another world." I said.

"Another world?" asked Clara, "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb!" I yelled, "There's no way you haven't noticed with magic as good as yours – your sister lived a life in another world before!"

"...So you can see other peoples' souls."

"Did Nova not tell you or did you just not believe her?"

"That doesn't matter."

"So, are we going to do something about it or what?"

"I haven't used magic in a long time."

"Why is that?"

"It's not that I can't, I've just refused to use magic."

"Well, but this is an emergency!"

"How about this?" said Clara, pulling out a piece of paper and writing on it.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"This." she said, handing me the piece of paper after she was finished writing.

"What is it?" I asked, confused.

"Go to that address." instructed Clara, "She might be able to help."

 

***

Oswin was late. I wondered why the heck he hadn't come home yet. Usually he didn't hang out at school for too long. I had been used to living alone previously, but somehow that house just didn't feel right without him. He wasn't even from this world, so I couldn't really force him to stay, but he could have at least said something to me if he was leaving. But I was starting to wonder if there was a bit more going on. Did something happen to him? As I was thinking, I heard someone banging on my door.

"Knock it off, already!" I yelled, "I'm coming!"

When I opened, the door, I saw a girl that looked to be about Oswin's age.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"You gotta help me!" she exclaimed, "It's an emergency!"

"W-what is it?" I said.

"SobasicallyonmywayhomemeandmybestfriendandthisotherguywhereattackedbythiscrazyladyandthenallofasuddentheyfadedandnowtheyareinanotherworldandIhavenowaytogettothempleasehelpmeyouaretheonlyoneIcanturntosince-"

"Whoa, slow down!" I said, "You're talking way too fast."

"My best friend's in another world and I have no way to get to her." she answered.

"So you need to travel to another world, huh?" I said, "But as long as I don't know who she is, I can't really help you."

"My friend is Nova Neville." the girl said.

"Neville?" I replied.

"Do you know the Nevilles?" she asked.

"Who sent you here?" I asked.

"Clara sent me." she said.

"If Clara sent you, I guess I gotta help. But can you tell me a bit more about what happened?"

"On our way home, we were attacked by this crazy person and the next thing I knew, the guy we were with was fading and then he disappeared along with Nova!"

"This guy you're talking about... is his name Oswin?"

"Yeah. How did you know?"

"Shit. So that's why he hasn't come back."

"So can you help?"

"I'll do what I can."

 

***

"Someone's after her?" I replied, wondered what Wendy was talking about.

"Someone told me you were attacked on your way home from school." said Wendy, "She also told me you went back to your old world and wanted help getting here."

"Are you talking about Rose?" I asked.

"Yeah," said Wendy, "seems that she was worried about Nova. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't either."

"How long did it take you to get here exactly?" I asked.

"The preparation took several days." answered Wendy, "Travelling between worlds is not an easy thing to do."

"So... you want me to help Nova out, huh?" I said.

"You were her best friend in her past life." said Wendy, "So you'd want to help her, wouldn't you?"

"Yeah," I said, "but I can't fight – I'm not good with magic or anything."

"Listen, Oswin." said Wendy, "You don't necessarily need magic to be tough."

"I'm not really that strong either." I said.

"It's okay." said Wendy, "I can help you figure things out."

11