2: New Operation II
251 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The squire is shouting instructions to the other servants as they fill the ship with precision. Seeing that he is quite busy, I focus my attention on the other nearest person, a maid.

The maid has short black hair that barely touches her shoulders and black eyes that feel like it can dig deep into someone's soul. Fair skin, small waist, and a D-cup--I can assume that majority of the people will call her beautiful. Overall, her looks are quite rare in these parts of the continent, and based on my limited knowledge she probably hails from the far east. Incidentally, her uniform is also mostly black with some patches of white that complement it nicely.

As I approach her, I raise a hand and give my best friendly smile.

"Good morning," I greet. It is only when we are 2 meters apart that I finally notice her carrying a small chest that can fit in two hands. Does it contain a jewel or something? "I'm one of the guards here on the ship, the name is Brad. Do you need any assistance? Or perhaps any inquiries?"

As soon as I start my piece, it is hard not to take notice of how she took a step back, frowning for as long as 2 seconds.

"Thank you for your concern but the squires are handling us well enough," she says with a smile, the frown gone as if a lie. When she does not say anything else, I take that as a cue to leave her alone.

"Alright, if you say so--"

"It is so."

...

...

Sassy beach.

I bow politely, taking off my hat and putting it back on. Shortly after I have reached the stairs towards the deck, I hear a tongue click and a soft curse shot at my back. My apologies, but despite the noise, I can hear you if my ears are still in the room.

Sporting a frown of my own, I internally wish that she drowns.

Not even the cool morning breeze on the deck can cool off my temper.

"Brad!"

I quickly turn towards the voice. It is the captain.

"It's good to see you checking out the cargo for anything suspicious but I need you up here, now."

I sprint to his side as he leads me back to his office. Before he opens the door he asks me, "Care to erase that frown for a moment?"

Oops, sorry.

"Did something happen down there?"

"Not really. Ms. Black was just a very... enthralling individual." I inhale deeply, "So much in fact that even sharks would find her interesting to the bone."

The captain raises a brow but says nothing as he finally enters, me following close behind.

Expectedly, the 9 infantrymen and 3 knights are still inside. But this time, the knights have taken off their helmets, clutching them in their arms.

"Honorable Knights, meet Lieutenant Brad Brown, he is in charge of guarding this humble cargo ship. I trust that he needs to be informed of the situation."

"Good day to you Lieutenant," one of the knights offers a hand. He is kinda large and looks reliable. But the most discernible thing about him is his sparkling white teeth. Dude, are those even real? I'll call you White from now on.

I take off my hat and shake hands. "Likewise."

"I wouldn't have thought that you're an officer in the army with how we caught you earlier," the second knight jabs.

Is he talking about when I was sleeping? Dude, give me a break. Like literally.

"I just finished my shift, the other men are the ones on the lookout during this time."

"Uhuh."

He's not believing me. If I recall correctly, he is also the person who woke me up earlier. This one has his helmet with a yellow feather on top. I can also clearly see his teeth are the complete opposite of White's here. You are Yellow, then.

"Give him the benefit of a doubt, Elloe. We need to trust each other here," the final knight says with a tap to his companion. He has a red chest plate, an uncommon but cool touch. Yup, you're now Red.

White gives Red a stern look that shuts him up. "Apologies, but we have decided that it's critical that we don't share vital information, including our names, during this mission. I'm sure that we'll have a great time with these handpicked trustworthy people but please bear in mind that this journey is a secret," he says to his companions. When he has seen everyone nod, he faces me again and produces a sealed letter, "The order."

I take the letter in my hand.

Two of the infantrymen on my left are quite close and the captain is standing beside me.

Do I read it here and now?

When will I read the letter?
  • Now.
  • Now, but I first go to a corner.
  • Later. I tuck it in a pocket inside my gambeson.
Total voters: 8 · This poll was closed on Nov 17, 2020 02:07 AM.
5