Chapter 7
101 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Instead of striking, I sheathe my sword and adopt a friendly stance.

"Um, hi!" I wave my hand in greeting.

Currently, I am looking at a perfect copy of Black, which means that the person before me is a shapeshifter!

Ever since I was a teen, I read books about them, go to theatrical plays about them, and dream to meet one. But here it is! This opportunity may never come again.

But obviously, the enemy won't be as friendly.

She conjures the same claws that killed Black and slash at me. I step back instinctively. The long, sharp nails go past my vision. I marvel at my awesomeness (or luck) as I draw my sword. The enemy and I clash in a series of blows, shouts, and growls.

However, it soon becomes apparent that I am struggling, being pushed back. With my back on the wall, quite literally, my mind starts to race about my options. Spending a second longer than necessary might cause my death.

"Lieutenant!"

I heard a shout from one of my subordinates close by. Reinforcements!

Before I can call for help, the impostor ran out and away from the cabin.

Surprised as I am, the realization that I am now safe dawns on me. I am now able to breathe a sigh of relief, even if temporary.

"Lieutenant!" Pink comes crashing through the room with her short sword, the pinkish hilt catching my eye even in this nerve-wracking state of affairs. As soon as she sees the dead maid lying on the floor, blood flooding slowly, Pink briefly shows a face of exhilaration before keeping it in control as she reports to me about the situation above. "Three of the attackers have been neutralized. One slipped away down here. I take it that you've fought the other one?"

I nod. "Before anything, I must thank you. Had you come any later, I might have been dead."

"No problem, Lieutenant Brown!" She salutes me with a big grin.

I return the grin before we return to face the seriousness of the matter.

"I should probably head out and scour the ship," Pink says, turning towards the door.

But I immediately stop her. "That one seems strong. We must not stay alone and keep to at least two men." I don't know how strong the other three were, but I still want to be safe. "You need another mouth to shout for help just in case something bad happens."

Pink looks a bit skeptical, but she still has to follow her superior. Or maybe she finds my reasoning pathetic.

The truth is, I'm just afraid to be left alone, and Pink can probably handle it by herself. But I did not lie either.

With Pink by my side, I am now less nervous. Steeling myself, I find myself hearing more people coming towards our direction. The three knights enter the cabin while the rest of my men stand outside due to the small space.

Similarly, everyone sees the maid unmoving with horror on her face as she lies clutching her neck.

Red turns to me with an accusing look. "You will be needing a lot of explaining to do, Lieutenant."

What?

4