Chapter 29: Checkmate
31 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This looks bad, doesn't it? I got caught red-handed.

The only comfort I have is that I never initiated.

Rose enters the cabin with a smile on her face. She looks at me, and then at the fake Rose.

"Things have become very complicated," Rose says while looking the shapeshifter in the eye.

You don't say!

"I received a message from the Mavericks' leadership," Rose continues as she brings a device from one of her pockets. It looks like it's been encased in some kind of metal, but the gem inside can be seen through a hole.

"Does this gem seem familiar to you?" Rose asks me. The gem looks like the transceiver that I have been using, but smaller and not naked.

"Don't tell me that the Mavericks also have these transceivers."

"I like how quick you are in the uptake."

Gah! What Rose has looks cooler. Doesn't that mean that the Rouen Army was testing the barer, older versions?

But I don't have time to worry about that. At this point, I have already pushed the fake Rose away from me.

"So, what are we gonna do with our guest here?" We both look at Rose's smiling doppelganger. I might as well ask since that is the ultimate objective. If Rose is gonna punish me later with some scolding, or worse, a breakup then I don't have any right to be angry.

Rose shakes her head sideways. "I no longer need to worry about her."

I suddenly feel a chill as Rose smiles at me, her eyes thinning. I've seen her wear this expression when she judges what to do with prisoners of war. Let's just say it isn't a pretty occassion.

Rose gives me a kabedon. I gulp reflexively.

"The Rouen Kingdom is f*cked. The Mavericks and the Syndicate has decided to take the side of the invaders."

Wow.

The real Rose and the fake Rose clasp their hands together, their cheeks rubbing against each other. Their grins send goosebumps down my spine as they spill the golden question, "And on that note, are you with us, or are you against us?"

Betray the Kingdom?
  • Yes Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No Votes: 1 33.3%
Total voters: 3 · This poll was closed on Sep 25, 2022 04:59 PM.
3