Chapter Ten: Connections to the Past
116 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sounds of running water, birds, and distant animals filled the air around me. A canopy of blue leaves swayed far above, sending rays of sunlight dancing across the forest floor and the shallow creek I was standing in. I closed my eyes, taking in the sounds of nature. Almost every speck of darkness I sensed was one of Yahui’s disciples.

Almost.

Small flecks of light danced around me as I opened my eyes. Though I didn’t sense any Blighted, nor any dangerous animals, there was something else amiss in the forest. Whatever it was, I could tell it was unrelated to the emperor, his clan, and his sect. It seemed likely it was involved with the strange war I had witnessed the previous night.

I continued down the creek, hiking my hanfu up as the water rose past my knees. Glimmers of crystal in the creek bed tempted me to stop, but I was there to hunt—not gather. I pulled out my map and marked the creek with a speck of light. Fully ignoring the presence of crystal felt as if it would be equally as foolish as stopping for it.

After a while, I came to an abrupt stop. Two human boys in, perhaps, their teens stood several yards ahead of me. They appeared to be setting up equipment to fish, but both froze when they spotted me.

“See, I told you if we waited long enough we would find a higher tier spirit beast!” One whispered to the other, pointing in my direction. I glanced over my shoulder to see what they were talking about, but there was nothing there.

“Do you really think we can kill an ancient?” The other whispered. “I...I know we can’t grow strong without finding spirit cores for ourselves, but...”

Are...they talking about me? I took a step back, growing my flecks of light into dagger-like shards. Although I didn’t want to kill children...

“How else can we protect our village against those things?!” The other boy argued, picking up a bow and notching an arrow. “We’re just human! We have to get our power from somewhe—”

The ground and trees trembled as if affected by an earthquake. An enraged roar made the boys’ faces drain of color. When the three of us looked up, my eyes widened. Above us, a black dragon with very familiar eyes was poised above the children, pushing the trees back with his forearms. Shadows spilled from his maw as he observed the shaking human boys.

“T-t-the guardian of the mountains?! Why is he here?” The more cowardly of the two boys fell on his rump and swiftly scooted backward, only to have his back meet a boulder. Panicking, he began searching for somewhere to run. “The other one is light, right?! We have to get out of here before they go to war!”

The dragon imploded into a stream of shadows and sped toward me, reforming into an incredibly angry-looking Yahui. His hand rested on the scabbard of a longsword, his thumb pressed against the hilt, clearly prepared to draw it against the boys.

“Why do they think I’m a spirit beast?” I asked quietly, keeping my eyes on the two boys.

“They lack perception...interesting.” Yahui slowly walked forward. By the way the boys were watching, I could tell they still saw a massive dragon, not a man, stalking toward them. “For wishing to kill you and slay you for your power, I should kill them.”

“Why not give them the ability to perceive instead?” I remarked, my lips twisting into a smile. “They’re afraid for their village. A small pocket of humans in your territory who can hardly fend for themselves... Wouldn’t they be inclined to devote themselves to you, were you to gift them perception and show them mercy?”

Yahui fell still, the faint turn of his head the only indication he had heard me. Though I couldn’t see most of his face, I saw his lips curve into a smirk. “You would have me show them their folly, that they might devote themselves to me as penance? Perhaps you do have a twisted side after all.”

I crossed my arms with a small ‘humph.’ “A twisted streak? Hardly. I doubt either of us wants to kill children, even if they are human. Leaving them alive and shifting the situation so we can converse with them only makes sense. After all, how has a pocket of humans survived and gone undetected for so long? In your territory? If this goes unaddressed, your disciples could become the hunted next.”

Yahui released a soft sigh, exhaling shadows from his mouth. With a motion of both hands, he sent the power piercing into both boys. He pivoted and stalked back toward me, narrowing his eyes. I half-expected a reprimand or for him to lash out, but he placed a hand on my shoulder and leaned down to speak by my ear instead.

“Put away your weapons, Mingzhu. We can’t afford for anyone to spot such unique blades.” Yahui’s silken voice made me grow still. “If someone sees, my guards, disciples, and I will not be enough to protect you.”

I pursed my lips and did as he said, leaving only shards of light floating around us. Yahui traced his fingers along my shoulder, leaving trails of darkness, before releasing me and turning to look toward the two stunned boys.

“Shall I go back to my hunt, or...” I trailed off, unable to read the look he shot me.

“You will stay with me.” He returned his attention to the boys, who were now looking around in confusion. “Why were the two of you intending to slay my companion?”

“Huh? Slay your....” The first boy stopped in place, his eyes flicking between Yahui’s draconic traits, then finally to me. “Wha-what trick is this?”

“You mistook us for spirit beasts.” Yahui casually strode toward the boys. “I am Xing Yahui, Emperor of the Gāoyáng Continent. These are my lands you are hunting in, and it is one of my treasures you were preparing to attack. Explain yourselves.”

I watched in silence as the boys hurried to prostrate themselves before the emperor. They hadn’t the faintest inkling of what they had gotten themselves into, but Yahui’s formality seemed to at least make them realize they were in trouble.

“We are from the Ash Edge Village, sir!” The braver one offered, his forehead still in the dirt. “A small group of us have been surviving on the border of the forest and the wastelands for a few generations. Our elders believed we were the last remnants of civilization in this world!”

“Creatures started appearing recently and killed a lot of villagers!” The other boy added desperately. “Legends say that we can learn arts to defend our village if we defeat a spirit beast and take its power! M-most of our hunters are dead now, so my brother and I came here hoping to find a way to save our village...”

“The Blighted, perhaps?” I offered when Yahui remained silent. When I pulled up my hanfu and strode out of the creek, the boys both turned red to their ears, their eyes on my legs.

Yahui cleared his throat pointedly, causing the boys to snap their attention back to him. “The creatures, are they like corpses?”

“Yes, sir,” they answered.

“Then the divine beasts are also an issue.” I strode over to Yahui and stopped beside him. His eyes flicked to me briefly, then back to the boys. An amused smile spread across my lips. “I predict their village won’t survive the night.”

“B-but...” The boys’ shoulders dropped, and Yahui sighed.

“If your village agrees to become my subjects, I will bring you all back to the safety of the city.” Yahui pivoted and turned his back to the boys, shooting me an icy look. “Should your village disagree, all Mingzhu and I can do is give you all a swift death.”

“N-none of them will be able to see you in this form!” The first boy stuttered.

“A simple matter to remedy.” Yahui shook his head slowly. “Take us to your village.”

The boys scrambled to their feet and collected their things before motioning for us to follow. I glanced to my left, spotting Fang and several other disciples in the shadows of nearby trees. Fang acknowledged me with a nod, and they all began to move as our shadow.

“M-Miss Mingzhu, if we had known you weren’t a spirit beast, we wouldn’t have...” The scaredy-cat stuttered, glancing back at me.

“I know,” I stated simply. “What manner of creature did I look like to you?”

“The most prettiest creature of light I’ve ever seen!” He responded excitedly. “You were really pretty and white! You had really pretty markings in pale colors, like the light from a prism! I don’t know what you were though. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“You also had a really out of place mark in red that looked painful.” The other boy frowned, glancing at me as well. “Are you okay? You don’t look hurt, but you also don’t look as similar to your spirit beast form as he does.”

“Mingzhu is a complicated woman, but she is fine,” Yahui spoke dismissively.

“Um, and what’s an emp... emyroar...emproyar...”

“An emperor is a person who rules a many lands and protects them all, and the people within them,” Fang answered, appearing beside us. “His Imperial Majesty united many troubled peoples under one banner, preventing chaos and bloodshed.”

The god of chaos’ favorite preventing chaos? I doubt that, I mused to myself. “Boys, what are your names?”

“I’m Lei.” The braver one nodded.

“I’m Jingyi!” The one who was excited about my appearance beamed up at me.

“Fang, is there anyone available to do more searching?” I asked, turning to look at the man.

“If His Imperial Majesty commands it...” Fang’s gaze flicked past me.

“It depends on what Mingzhu is scheming now,” Yahui answered, shooting me a sideways look. Even if his expression was a blank mask, it wasn’t difficult to understand he was suspicious.

“I marked my map to show where I found something in the creek bed that should be looking into—crystals.” I summoned my map and opened it for the two men to see. “While in the same area, I sensed darkness that doesn’t belong to anyone of the Xing Sect. However, I couldn’t identify the sources. I believe it must be related to last night’s battle in some way.”

“Why?” Yahui frowned at me.

“Instinct. Besides, the Xing Sect should be the only people here with a link to dark arts.” I offered my map to Fang, who took it. “The other darkness could be people, or it could be objects...or arrays. Given the proximity to our camp, it would be best if we didn’t ignore it.”

“Assign some of the senior students to carefully look into both matters,” Yahui instructed Fang with a reluctant sigh. “Lei, how much further?”

“It’s a ways to the border, sir.” Lei frowned, shaking his head. “Maybe um...half a bell?”

A bell? I wondered. Whatever manner of measurement that was, Yahui seemed to grasp it. He simply nodded at the boy, then slid an. arm behind my back and lured me closer. “What?”

“You were shivering,” Yahui stated, his eyes remaining focused forward. “We have no fire arts users among us today, so this will have to suffice.”

“Mn.” I refrained from rolling my eyes. Certainly, I was cold, but I had a feeling that he was looking for an excuse. His demeanor since our morning talk remained mostly frigid, but he seemed to be trying to improve his actions.

Teasing him for it seemed like a poor idea.

While our small party walked, Yahui spoke to the boys in an attempt to learn more about them and their village. The closer we got to our destination, the rockier the terrain became, and I began spotting what appeared to be ruins of some manner. The boys didn’t seem to know what they were from.

“Look, there it is!” The boys pointed proudly at their village in a secluded valley below.

“Wait here a moment.” Yahui closed his eyes and summoned shadows from all around us, aweing the human children. When satisfied, Yahui sent the power careening into the village. “They will be able to perceive us properly now.”

I watched Yahui silently, noting the faint wobble which he swiftly corrected. When he grasped me again, it was more like he sought support.

“Yay! Let’s go!” Jingyi cheered.

“Don’t overdo it, Your Imperial Majesty,” I purred under my breath, earning a sharp glare. “I can’t carry you.”

“This was your idea,” Yahui hissed back.

“And your decision to go along with it.” I smiled sweetly at him.

Yahui bared his fangs at me briefly before shutting his eyes and taking a deep, calming breath. When he reopened them, his icy mask had returned. “We need to be cautious due to our proximity to the wastes. These humans have avoided disaster, but our arts could attract starved creatures seeking to regain their life force.”

“Starved creatures?” I murmured.

“The land isn’t all that was drained.” Yahui shifted to look in the direction of the ashy expanse. “Agriculture is one of the reasons we have worked so hard to restore life to the wastes. Reducing the threat of beasts is the other. Dealing with qi-starved beasts and the Blighted would be a disaster.”

“Mn.” I nodded, sinking into thought briefly. Alas, no solution came to mind. The threads all led to the unbreakable lock.

“Mingzhu?” Yahui nudged me when I was silent for too long. He narrowed his eyes and looked me over. “We can worry about your ‘lock’ later. Now is not the time.”

“Jingyi, Lei, w-what have you done?” A man in perhaps his fifties approached us from the village. By his clothes, he appeared to be a blacksmith.

“Uncle Su!” Jingyi waved excitedly. “These people can help us!”

“The dragons and...and that other creature, where did they go?” Su looked around nervously.

“We are right here.” Yahui’s smile seemed to scare the man more than make him relax. “It is so very unusual to find humans lacking perception these days. Your village must have been isolated for a long time.”

“Uncle Su, Yahui is an emperor!” Jingyi tugged on the large man’s arm excitedly.

Su shoved the boys behind him and adopted a defensive stance, though his knees were shaking. “Are you the new Zhang emperor?!”

“Did you say Zhang?” Yahui frowned, narrowing his eyes. “The Zhang were destroyed many moons ago. It sounds as if you and I may have more in common than I first thought. Could we perhaps discuss this inside?”

Zhang? I wondered, studying Yahui. There had been a nearly imperceptible shift in his demeanor upon hearing that name. Something told me teasing or joking would be far too dangerous of a game, and it was best saved for another day.

“Boys, go help your mother.” Su shooed the brothers off, then glanced uncomfortably toward me. “Will the woman be coming too? I’m afraid discussing the Zhang…”

“‘The woman’ is Lady Mingzhu, and she will be joining us.” Yahui gave Su a chilling look. “Of my companions, she is the closest in power to me.”

“Is she...the empress, then?” Su frowned.

“Hardly.” Yahui and I answered in unison. The emperor continued as if nothing had happened, “Mingzhu is with us to hunt the Blighted, but it would do her well to hear of Zhang.”

“You said...they are destroyed?” Su sat at a large wooden table in his home and motioned for us to sit as well.

“I crushed the Zhang in retribution for their slaughter of my village and family,” Yahui stated calmly, causing the human’s eyes to widen. “If you were loyal to the Zhang Empire...”

“Thank the divines!” Su scrambled out of his seat and kowtowed on the floor. “I thought perhaps the Zhang had come to send us back into the mines!”

Yahui released a small sigh, his expression sympathetic. “You are former slaves?”

“Y-yes, Your Imperial Majesty.” Su peeked up nervously. When Yahui made a motion, the blacksmith stood. “The mines are in the wastes now, but the Zhang had us mining for jade, void crystal, blood of the gods, and lunar steel.”

“Your Imperial Majesty...” Fang trailed off when an amused smile rose to Yahui’s face.

“I am not here to send you back into the mines, but any knowledge you have of them would be greatly appreciated.” Yahui shifted in his seat, his expression becoming contemplative. “My intention is to evacuate you to the Obsidian Terraces where you will not have to concern yourselves with the Blighted. How you and yours work is for each of you to decide. The young can learn trades at any number of schools within my city.”

“What’s in it for you?” Su narrowed his eyes.

“We are both victims of the Zhang. I need no other reason.” Yahui shook his head. “If you and yours do not wish to relocate somewhere safe, a swift and painless death is all we can offer. Your village will likely not survive the night.”

Su grew pale and swallowed hard. “The night...”

“We discovered where the Blighted are hiding while they wait for nightfall,” Fang stated. “Given their proximity, they will smell you and come here first. If they themselves don’t kill you, the divine beasts will crush you underfoot.”

“I am prepared to devote the remainder of the afternoon to getting you all far from this place.” Yahui motioned loosely with one hand. “Saving lives takes priority over our hunting trip.”

“I-I will speak with the other elders.” Su darted out the door.

I glanced over at Yahui when he released a heavy sigh. His pensive expression seemed as if it wasn’t seeing the humble cabin at all. Perhaps he was seeing whatever home of his the Zhang had crushed. I decided the silence was too much for me. “You’re interested in the mines?”

“The Zhang destroyed the records of their mining operations when they learned of my incoming attack on their capital.” He glanced toward me. “Void crystals, blood of the gods, and lunar steel are rare materials. Void crystals and lunar steel are useful in weaponry and armor. Blood of the gods is an exquisite gem prized for its pure color, clarity, and arts-enhancing properties. Due to its rarity, only rulers and deities are ever seen wearing them.”

“So it’s better for you to seize it, so it doesn’t fall into Lady Xu’s hands.” I frowned, crossing my legs. “If it’s in the wastes, it must be teeming with Blighted and qi-starved creatures.”

“Agreed. It will require careful planning, including returning life to the area.” Yahui nodded. “For now, we should focus on evacuations. Mingzhu, Fang, I want the two of you to return to our camp and make preparations to return home.” He paused to shoot me a pointed look when I shifted to argue. “Protect the children.”

That, I couldn’t argue with. Especially not when he had seemed so concerned I would harm them, before. “Very well. Will we be leaving tonight, or in the morning?”

“Tonight, but we will feed everyone first.” Yahui stroked his chin, the corners of his lips curving upward. “Leave the cooking to Fang and the children. You are to keep watch.”

“Yes, yes, I am sure it’s hilarious that I can’t cook.” I stood and flapped my hand dismissively. “Try not to linger too long.”

3