Chapter 7: “Kin”
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the crowd gathered more spectators, Viktor looked at the oddly forlorn figure sitting next to him. Her state had changed upon revealing he could not bring back the dead. Viktor could guess why, as he had lost someone as well. But he decided not to broach the subject, as he felt it would do more harm than good for both of them.

 

Instead, he ruffled Sisa’s hair once more, with a similar forlorn look in his eyes as the one who turned to look at him after he made contact with her head.

Sisa was about to swat away the hand but upon seeing the look the one eyed hulk gave her stopped her action mid swing. He wore an assuring smile while he ruffled her hair. A forced yet understanding gesture of assurance to the small goblin child.

At that time, the ferret nabbed a wilted flower from the child who had brought it and took it to Viktor. It was a once yellow orchid, common in these parts, now dried up and wilted.

He gently took the flower from the ferret and roused his life force. Eyes once more glowing, he directed the energy to enter the wilted flower.

Slowly, the small flower pulsed with green, ominous energy as it regained its former beauty as more life force entered it. He smiled at the absurdity of using necromancy to restore something of beauty to its glory.

Viktor turned back to Sisa and carefully placed the flower to rest in her hair. He sent the ferret to climb on to her lap and ordered it to follow her instructions as he rose and took his leave to return to his new abode.

He hoped the part of his soul he left into the little ferret could understand her commands. At the least, the connection between him and the ferret portrayed no confusion when he gave the task.

The crowd parted as he walked off, some of them bowing humbly as he made past them. Sisa stared at his departing figure, occasionally turning to look at the ferret in her lap who was looking at her expectantly. She touched the flower in her hair in a daze for a moment before embracing the ferret and taking off to follow the pale goblin who was descending the stairway further into the valley.

 

Viktor made way towards the level of his abode in thought, occasionally talking with the voices in his head.

 

Nearing his abode, he saw Fafi lounging before his house, causing Viktor to stop. He felt lost how to approach her after the previous parting. Luckily or unluckily for him, she saw him standing there and made way towards him. Her veil shifted as she smiled underneath it and her body language had a sensual gait as she walked to him, causing Viktor to gulp.

 

Fafi walked past him, her hand gliding over his chest as she did so. His body following, turning along with her.

“Chief seeks your presence Paley.” She said, as she had gotten Viktor to turn around. She cast a peek behind her towards Viktor, who meekly followed her after nodding in affirmative.

They made back onto the staircase, missing the small figure ducking in between two hovels as they made past it, the tiny figure stalking behind them.

Descending onto the valley’s bottom, they headed for the chief’s hall on the other side of the extinguished bonfire in silence.

 

 

The chief was waiting for them inside, standing in front of the firepit without his consorts, talking with a goblin with a spear animatedly. Upon sensing their arrival, Krugh turned towards them and nodded to Fafi before turning back towards the spear goblin who had also turned towards the arrivals.

 

Krugh nodded appreciatively to the goblin as they shared a look before the spear wielder took his leave. He walked past Fafi and Viktor and gave them a respectful nod as he passed them. His gaze stayed a moment upon Viktor as he exited the hall.

 

Viktor looked at the goblin as he left the hall, stopping a meter away from the entrance for a moment, looking next to him before taking off in a hurry.

 

Turning back towards Krugh, he saw Fafi was making way towards one of the tables that housed the chief’s retinue. Unlike yesterday, the tables were sparsely occupied, probably because of warriors being sent out into the forest.

Viktor turned his attention towards Krugh and made a quick bow as he saw the other giant looking at him, who responded with a nod before motioning Viktor to come over.

“Heard about your display, pale shaman.” The chief said as Viktor came over. “Curious.” He added while looking Viktor up and down and taking a glance towards the entrance as his face scrunched up.

“Heard you bring things to life.” Krugh continued after returning his gaze to Viktor.

Viktor scratched his head as he responded, “ No. I used my power to take control of dead things and giving them false life.”

His response made the chief growl a bit. His body language was tense, but not hostile, as he crossed his arms.

“Can control kin?” He asked after a moment.

“Yes, if powerful enough.” Viktor nodded warily, he was unsure of the situation with the chief being tense. He didn’t really know Krugh beyond him beating him up and acting like a fool yesterday.

“Can… Bring back to life?” Krugh followed up, his eyes staring past Viktor in thought.

“No, I believe not.” Viktor said while shaking his head. He honestly had no idea if he eventually could and the peanut gallery in his head was being quiet, but he was sure if it was possible it would be incredibly difficult, nearing impossible.

“Hrm, I see.” The chief nodded before turning around towards the firepit, warming his hands. “Ancestral stories speak of dead things walking..  Enveloped by green flames.” Krugh said, his voice was deep and steady as he glanced backwards towards the pale figure, his voice echoing in the silent hall.

“They spoke of their… Masters as well, even of those like their servants, yet walk and talk like the living.”

Krugh turned around to face Viktor, his eyes studying Viktor carefully. “Tell me Conjurer,” He started, taking a step forward. “Are you kin, or are you foe?” As he asked this, the silent hall erupted in commotion.

 Krugh raised his hand to halt the warriors, who were beginning to stand up.

Viktor quickly cast a glance around the tense warriors on the tables on both sides. He felt scared. A mere miller’s apprentice he once was, was not acclimatised to situations like these. Despite learning how to stand up for himself after the well.

Now once more he stood in the presence of death looming over him, feeling powerless to stop it.

He looked at the large muscular chieftain that had beaten him before with ease, now standing ominously ready, only steps away from him. Waiting for his answer.

 

Viktor deemed no words enough to turn the situation around, yet the chief wanted a confirmation, despite his eyes telling a different story. For what reason, Viktor did not know, but the reason had Krugh stop the host of warriors from attacking.

 

The hall was silent with tension as the chieftain waited for an answer he did not deem himself needing.

 

Suddenly, a figure walked past Viktor holding a ferret in her embrace and placed herself between Krugh and Viktor and Krugh.

Sisa faced Krugh with her back towards Viktor, making Viktor unable to see her glare she directed towards the chieftain, who to Viktor’s surprise took a respectful step back.

“Kin.” She said adamantly, her clear voice echoing in the quiet hall.

“Little one, this is not a time to disagree with me.” Krugh said back to her while narrowing his eyes, but took no action.

“K-i-n.” Sisa said again, emphasising her declaration while Viktor looked with a complicated expression at the girl with a flower in her hair arguing with her chief.  

Worried she might be harmed or thrown out of her tribe because of this, Viktor reached out for her.

Suddenly thorny vines erupted from the ground, binding Viktor in place and rending flesh as Krugh’s attention turned towards Viktor, eyes filled with rage. The chief pulled Sisa behind him despite her protests. “No!” she cried out, the ferret jumping out of her embrace and attacked Krugh in a frenzy.

without casting even a glance at the ferret, the chief grabbed it and threw it off him.

“To attack her was your last mistake waker of the dead.” He growled and tried to take a step forward again, only to be attacked by Sisa this time.

 

Upon seeing this, Viktor called upon the drain in panic, withering the vines binding him and falling on his knees and hands raised. “Listen to your chieftain little one!” He pleaded her, afraid the chief would lose his patience and throw her like the ferret. “He is right about me. I am a conjurer!” Viktor exclaimed.

He turned towards Krugh. “Please don’t harm her! I’ll tell you everything!” Causing Krugh to halt completely. “I am not kin, but neither am I a foe!” Viktor continued, seeing the chieftain stopping.

Sisa had stopped and looked at Viktor along with Krugh. After a moment, Krugh spoke up.

“Then what are you?” He asked Viktor.

“A conjurer or whatever your people call me, one who wishes you no harm.”

 

Krugh pondered something for a few seconds before speaking up, “You did not attack Sisa?”

 

“No,” Viktor responded and turning towards Sisa, “I reached out to stop her from harming herself by defending me.”

 

Sisa looked back at Viktor, her eyes tearing up and turned towards the chieftain. Despite tears welling up in her eyes, they were also spewing fire.  

“Apologise.” She said with a nasal voice, causing Krugh to jerk uncomfortably. “Apologise.” She demanded again when he did not respond.

“N-n-no Fafi should apologise not me.. YES! Her fault!” Krugh stammered while pointing at Fafi behind Viktor. A quiet “eep” sounded out behind Viktor as Sisa’s gaze locked on to the sound’s point of origin.

Fafi came into view from behind Viktor in a hunched posture as she imitated Viktor by falling to her knees In front of Sisa.

“L-l-little chieftess, Fafi was wrong, careful but stupid and wrong..” she begged the little goblin while trying to assure her. “Just wanted to keep little chieftess safe, yes!” she continued.

 

“Bad, apologise to Paley.” was the only answer the little goblin gave her before turning towards the hulking figure she was holding, “you too.”

“Fafi is sorry” “I apologise.”  Fafi and Krugh both said awkwardly while turning towards Viktor, who had no idea what was going on anymore.

“Repeat, ‘Paley is kin’” Sisa continued after getting the two to apologise.

  “”Paley is kin”” The two repeated in defeat, not daring to question it. But Sisa did not seem satisfied.

She growled a little and let go of Krugh and walked in front of Viktor. With hands on her hips and glaring at Viktor, she said: “Repeat.” To Viktor.

 

Staring wide eyed at the seemingly absolute authority of the tribe, Viktor was stupefied and mute, much to the displeasure of Sisa, who was tearing up again. “Not want to be kin?” She asked weakly, with upturned eyes.

Viktor looked at the two figures behind Sisa, who pleaded with their eyes to ‘just fucking do it. Please?’

 

Suddenly, two hands clasped Viktor’s face and turned it to stare into Sisa’s eyes. “Repeat, please?” She asked with a whisper as her small hands gripped Viktor’s face firmly.

Relenting, with the strength leaving his tense body he said “Paley is Kin.” As he rested his forehead against Sisa’s and let out a chuckle.

 

The orchid’s fragrance drifted in to his nose as Sisa let out a weak squeal as he came in to contact with her.

 


I originally had planned for the goblins to just rolling with it without a confrontation and none the wiser.  Originally he was to be a normal shaman to the tribe and quietly learn his craft but I had made this tribe too advanced.

Too wise not to have some ancestral knowledge passed down from chief to chief at the least and the walking dead and necromancers making memorable stories, so they'd be passed down easily.

I was really on the fence if he would be thrown out of the tribe due to it or even killed, but even before contemplating that issue I had created Sisa and, as I was writing their interaction in this chapter, it, at least to me, clicked. Albeit, I might've given her much more authority than planned.. But who cares, it fits what I had written about her in her background.

I hope this version of events is fine. Next chapter, I'll reveal why she is the boss lady if you haven't figured it out yet.

Also I'd like to thank in this afterword,

Zones, blox77 , MinoHome15 , Amalah , SoulSinner , CeltyTheSurveyor and WedgeOfHeaven for showing interest in this story.

As well as all of the horndogs reading chapter 5.1, hope it was worth a wank!

It was my first smut I ever published or wrote so I hope it was bearable.

 

 

0