Chapter 6 – Genius?! or Eccentric?!
208 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

Kazuki took a deep breath before he reclined against the wall facing his bed. The sequence of events that created quite an eventful evening still remained in his mind, hours after his two friends have taken their leave.

Finally getting a chance at quiet time, he stared at his little sister diligently packing some things on the sofa.

I'm really lucky to have someone like her.

Turning his attention back to himself, he stared at the window and into the night sky. He had tried digging deep into his memories as to what really happened in Aria Alley, but with those people making noise, such a thing was impossible.

Now that he was left in relative silence, he had time to once again recall the memories of what happened last night. He remembered looking for his transfer classmate the whole time while enjoying some of Aria Alley's minor-friendly offers. Then, nothing came after.

The form of his transfer classmate came into view. She stood in front of him, and she held a... sword?

Then, it came like a flash.

Kazuki felt a tingling sensation run down his spine. For a second, the night sky turned red. He had seen such a sight before.

Something felt really wrong about seeing the red sky against the multiple buildings and skyscrapers that make up Shiroki City's skyline. Finding himself assailed by an unknown memory of some sort, he clutched his head with his hands.

Releasing the hold, he then stared at his clammy hands, and they were followed by now irregular heartbeats.

He was not certain where or why exactly he saw this sight, but it was not a pleasant one. Closing his eyes, he desperately tried to shake the feeling off. Still, it kept coming, showing a frankly annoying persistence.

Kazuki felt that he was about to lose the mental battle when the door to his room flung open, bringing him back to reality.

"Hello, Dr. Kagami!" echoed Hikari's happy voice.

In stepped a tall man with purple hair who warmly greeted Hikari upon entry. He gave the little girl a high-five then turned to Kazuki.

It's Dr. Shin Kagami alright. Top pharmacist, rehab doctor, and part-time physician for Aspira Hospital. One of the brightest minds responsible for top research in vaccines, medicine development, and cellular interaction.

His looks also fit the bill. Besides the wild unkempt hair in a rather unnatural color, he also wore his very wrinkly lab coat in an undignified manner. With scars beneath his eyes and a weird-looking stubble, it would not be a stretch to say that he's the very image of a mad scientist.

"You still remember Dr. Kagami? I heard that he even volunteered to check on you after admission. Must be great to have the best of the best attending to you, right?"

"Yeah, of course I do. Who would forget this guy?" nonchalantly replied Kazuki. 

He followed it by turning to the doctor.

"Thank you, sir."

In terms of sheer credentials and skill, there was no doubt that Dr. Kagami is one of the best on this field.

"It's a pleasure," replied the doctor with a deep voice. "When I heard about someone from Aria Alley being found unconscious and going through some convulsions, I jumped at the call. You know, the guys at the lab had concluded that you had... for lack of better term, something similar to brain damage."

"Brain damage?" muttered Kazuki. The revelation was surprising enough, but much more surprising was the doctor's willingness to phrase it like that. Then again, he's gained quite a notorious reputation, possibly for things like this.

"No need to worry. There's a reason you're not strapped to an IV or anything. You got real lucky. For someone who was as broken as you, something happened. I do not know what, but you looked a lot better than someone who should be brain-dead," he quickly followed up. 

Next, he took out a small notebook from his pocket and flipped through the pages before resuming.

"Yeah. Initial diagnostics did say that you suffered some kind of damage to the part of your brain related to memories and emotional well-being. However, my own research is slowly coming to a conclusion that it is something new, something novel, but also something quite easy for me to treat."

He put the notebook back into his pocket.

"I happen to be an expert on this topic," said the doctor, raising his fingers in a motion to count, "as well as virology, body chemistry, mental disease, and therapy."

"Will Big Bro be fine?" interjected Hikari.

Dr. Kagami smiled. "That's where the good news comes in. After my rounds a few hours ago, while he's still unconscious, I have checked his vitals and all."

He gave off a contemplating look right afterwards.

"Kazuki Arata, I am here to deliver the good news that you are ready to be discharged tomorrow."

The purple haired doctor clapped his hands just as Hikari leapt into the bed and right onto her brother.

"Congratulations!"

Patting an exuberant Hikari, Kazuki gave a smirk at the doctor, followed by a thumbs up.

"Thank you for all the hard work, Doc."

"It's a pleasure," replied the doctor. He then turned around but stopped.

"Oh, and before anything..."

From his pocket, he revealed a pair of plastic cards. He gently handed them over to Kazuki.

"T-that's..."

Hearing Hikari's stuttering, Kazuki wondered what the fuss was about. He looked at the plastic cards and quickly discovered the source of his sister's disbelief.

On the doctor's hand were two cards for Yuki-tan's Imperial Tracks event in a few days. The words "Let's Go! Fantastic Melody Launch Fest!" were written in large pink font along with an individual number for each card.

39 and 40.

Remembering what Hikari had been saying the past few days, he learned that the event itself will be free, but these tickets would serve as the backstage passes used for an on-site lottery of sorts.

Five lucky winners will be able to have backstage access, stage time with the idol, and have some exclusive Yuki-tan goods.

"Consider that my congratulations gift to the both of you. Make sure to attend the signing event and hope you win."

Dr. Kagami said those words as he pointed at Kazuki in particular. Sheepishly, Kazuki nodded in response.

I'm not really a Yuki-tan fan, but hey, nothing can go wrong with free opportunities, right?

"Thank you!" yelled Hikari in jubilation. "I love you, Dr. Kagami!"

Dr. Kagami beamed a smile that showed off his crooked teeth and returned the thumbs up from a while ago. With his job here done, the doctor left the room, slamming the door behind him.

Kazuki found relief in being left along with his sister again, likely for good tonight. Still, something bothered him.

If he were to be believed, Dr. Kagami jumped at the job the moment he learned that the patient came from Aria Alley. Also, an expert on a condition that's new and unknown to the rest of the medical world? Real sketchy.

He took a look at his ticket.

The manner in which he gave them the tickets were also quite suspicious. It came out of nowhere, honestly speaking.

Maybe the doctor knew something. Unfortunately, Kazuki had already lost the chance to push for more answers. Not like he'll get a straight answer from the doctor concerning Aria Alley anyway.

2

It has been hours since night blanketed the entirety of Shiroki City.

The city embraced the tranquility of night, with most stores having called it a day. The closures were even more evident inside residential areas.

The gates to a certain residential complex were locked shut, with a silver rose lock keeping them in place for the night.

Most windows of residential units at this part of the day would have had their lights off, but one room, located on the higher floor of one building, was illuminated by a set of dim lights.

Units inside this residential complex typically had a bedroom or two, and this particular unit would be what some would consider spacious. Not much decorated the living room. It does not even a TV set that has long become a housing staple.

Instead, multiple unpacked boxes lined what can be considered the unit's living room. They were conveniently placed beneath a wall clock that read 2:15 a.m.

Inside this one bedroom unit lived only one person.

Dressed in her one-piece nightwear, Sayaka Uehara paced around her room restlessly, one hand holding a smartphone against her ear. With the exception of a bed, a cabinet, a table with multiple notebooks, a laptop, and numerous plushies, the bedroom did not really have much in terms of extravagant displays.

She was by all means ready to go to bed and call it a day, but the person on the other side of the call was keeping her stuck in a conversation.

"I never thought you would be the type to do that. Ohohoho...." The voice, obviously female but with machine alterations through the speaker, continued. "You know the repercussions of what you just did, right?"

"If I remember correctly, you were the one who told me about that option," replied the black-haired girl. "Also, do you really think that I am helpless now just because I won't be able to use my Armament's ability?"

"On the contrary, you are the last person I would underestimate in this situation. It's just unlike you to sacrifice that much for a guy you barely knew. I did tell you to use that ability responsibly, and never once did you consider it."

The answer came almost immediately. "I felt responsible for the guy, that's all."

"Hmmm?" teased the voice. "Just that? After you asked help from me and went all the effort of sending him to a hospital room? And not just a ward, but one of the higher end rooms in Aspira."

Uehara paused, opting to wait for the person on the other side to continue, and continue she did.

"You know, he's quite the looker once you get past that chilly demeanor, you know? He might not be the best-looking guy in the school, but he's not bad. Maybe it's really fate calling for you."

"Shut it," snapped the slightly flustered Uehara. She had felt annoyed at the teasing and the playful tone of the other speaker. "I have no time for those."

"Come on, stop being so stiff with me. Then again, that makes the two of you perfect for each other!"

"I said shut it. If you got nothing better to say, I'm hanging up."

Crashing down on top of her bed while holding onto the phone, she looked at her only other companion on the bed: a stuffed toy cat that sat peacefully on the large bed, smiling at her with its big eyes. She then looked at the ceiling and emptily stared at the ceiling light that has been turned off. It has been a day, yet the image of her classmate kept resurfacing in her mind.

The sequence of events seemed to play in loop inside her mind. Pointing her sword at the almost dead classmate, she had chanted a chant that she never thought she would do. She remembered the sensation. It felt as if blood itself left her body, entered her katana, and flowed from the end of the blade onto the person. She knew that with that act, things would never be the same again.

What the other person on the line said was right. By sharing her power to another person, she guaranteed two things. The first was that she would not be able to fight at full capacity anytime soon. As for the second, she brushed that idea aside and silently prayed that such an event would never happen.

"Hey! You there?" asked the person she was talking to. "I hate to intrude on what you're doing right now, but I got more news."

"What is it?" asked Uehara, putting off her thoughts for the meantime.

"I gained access to data surrounding the previous incidents. You know, from before you arrived here and the two that just happened. I think we have narrowed down our list of suspects and found our man."

"Send me the coordinates."

"Sure thing. Once I hang up, I'll send you data on the person in question. Thank God the authorities have been super cooperative, but hey, that's what a secret position in the government gives."

With that, the call was cut.

Having ended the call, Sayaka Uehara looked out the window and admired the stars that lit the night sky. Such was the advantage of living in a high apartment. However, the next phase of the fight will be starting sooner than later.

She wondered how much longer before she could once again return to a life filled with carefree nights.

10