Chapter 23 – Awakener’s Pact
111 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

Kazuki was not sure what to expect when he took his first step back into Fuyusato Academy's main quadrangle. It has been one hell of a weekend. He generally walked in a slower and more leisurely pace, but a while ago, he knew that he had to do so out of necessity.

His muscles still ever slightly pinched with each step he took. The weekend was the most intense fight he had in his life, bar none. He assumed that the power he got upon unlocking his Armament's ability also had something to do with it.

All's well that ends well at least. He embarrassed himself by flubbing on stage, but it didn't really matter for him. He never considered himself a fan of Yuki-tan's, and it will probably just be an incident that everyone will forget about... if it weren't on the news.

He felt grateful that nothing of consequence really came out of it, but being identified as the guy who very nearly caused a stampede at a Yuki-tan event is not an enviable recognition.

As usual, people at school ignored him like the nobody that he is. That is, besides that one annoying girl with curly hair dyed in a shade of peach.

Of course, Sayori Misawa would not pass up the chance to get some more juicy scoops to add to the gossip mill of the school's official publication.

Kazuki gave her none of that, but the thought of that exhausting encounter stressed him slightly.

He sighed as he stared out the window.

"Good morning, Arata! Nice to see you again."

In a sequence similar to what transpired a few days ago, Kazuki turned and faced the large, eager eyes of his childhood friend and seatmate.

"Nice to see you back as well. You feeling better now?"

To which, Amagi gave him a cute smile and a peace sign.

"Yep! Thanks for everything, Arata."

"Don't mention it."

"Y-y-y-you...."

The two then found themselves interrupted by a third voice devoid of its usual jovial and high-spirited tone. Shiki's current voice was something Kazuki rarely heard.

He then turned to meet his friend's face filled with disappointment.

"How could you waste a once in a lifetime meeting with Yuki-tan just like that?! You could have given me the number instead!"

To Kazuki, Shiki's face looked like the expression of one who was about to cry.

"And I blew my savings on nothing! Why? Whyyyy?"

Shiki raised his hands up to the heavens in frustration. The lack of luck really broke him, but Kazuki was sure that his friend would be back to normal in just a short while... hopefully.

"You also had the gall to run away and embarrass yourself like that. We should have just switched places. I would have given Yuki-tan such a great time that she'll fall in love with me, her number one fan!"

"Keep dreaming," Kazuki finally replied.

He honestly felt sorry for his friend's bad luck, but he just cannot help giving a snarky comment, not after that last delusional statement.

"Hehehe. I'm sure that you'll be lucky soon. Maybe all that bad luck is just waiting for that one big turnaround, and you'll win the lottery soon," said Amagi, comforting him.

"Really? You believe in me that much?" asked Shiki, eyes as wide as they can be.

To which, Amagi nodded and smiled. This was met with an outburst of happiness from the bandana-wearing friend.

It would seem all and well now.

However, in this day where things seemed to be happening one after another, such a thing seemed so farfetched.

Before Kazuki could focus his attention away from the two friends, in came another familiar figure.

The next in line for the day's event flags took the form of a long-haired girl. She had walked toward the two seats near the window, and her passing caught the attention of both of Kazuki's friends.

"Good morning, Arata," Sayaka greeted with a smile.

She did not stop there. She also looked at Amagi.

"I guess I should also formally introduce myself now. Arata here told me quite a bit about you," she said with a hint of mischief in her voice. "Sayaka Uehara. Pleased to meet your acquaintance."

"I did not say anything!" interrupted Kazuki.

"And I'm Seiji Shiki!" loudly declared Shiki, puffing his chest out and extending his hand.

Ignoring the two guys, Sayaka gave Amagi a courteous bow. Amagi smiled and did a similar gesture.

"Hope we can be friends," she replied. "I had a great time racing the other day."

The two girls giggled and exchanged some more greetings before Uehara turned and headed back to her seat on the other side of the classroom.

"She passed me over..." said Shiki, his voice trailing away and his face filled with distraught.

That despair quickly changed as he turned to Kazuki.

"Wait a minute... When did you get so friendly with Miss Transfer Student all of a sudden, huh? So something did happen over the weekend!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, easy, Shiki."

"Oh no, my apprentice isn't fooling me this time around. Something did happen over the weekend. Is that why you're in such a hurry to run away from Yuki-tan's event? You forgot that you had a scheduled date, and knowing that you had no chance with Yuki-tan anyway, decided to just prioritize your date?"

"That's just impossible. What are you getting at, Shiki? Right, Amagi?"

With her gaze at the transfer student interrupted, Amagi softly screamed as she turned her attention back to her two childhood friends.

"Yeah, of course. Arata won't do something like that!" resolutely answered Amagi, slamming a hand on her table. "He would not do anything that scummy, absolutely! I won't allow it!"

"Amagi?"

Kazuki was caught by surprise at Amagi's surprisingly blunt answer and actions.

Before anything more can happen, the bell rang, signaling the start of classes. The students now returned to their seats while the homeroom teacher, Mr. Tsuda, entered.

"Hey, Amagi, you okay?" whispered Kazuki to his seatmate.

"Huh? O-of course!"

Seemingly realized what she just did, Amagi's eyes widened, and she was quick to apologize. "I'm sorry!"

The sound of the teacher clearing his throat made the both of them turn their focus on him instead, cutting the conversation short.

"Good morning, class," started the bespectacled teacher with a monotone voice. He adjusted his glasses with his finger while he looked at the front page of a large notebook he brought. "Hope everyone had a great weekend. We have a long week ahead."

The class listened attentively as he flipped through his notes and began writing some of the upcoming events for the week. The moment he began writing on the whiteboard, he stopped.

"By the way, before I forget," he said in a stoic voice. "Looks like our classmate here has found himself in some trouble over the weekend. Arata, head to the counselor's office after class. Miss Sadohara asked to see you."

Kazuki sighed.

What an eventful welcome back to school.

2

Kazuki stood in front of the sliding doors to a room.

He rarely visited this room located just a floor beneath the school rooftop. After all, he mostly kept a low profile and was in less trouble than his reputation might suggest.

Looking at the nameplate that read "Sadohara," he put his hand on the door before slowly sliding it open.

Two rows of bookcases flanked him as he entered, and a fragrant scent of mint greeted him. In front of him was a very ornate glass table as well as three sofas surrounding it. At the very end of the room, facing the wide glass windows, was a large desk and a leather rolling chair.

"Miss Sadohara, I'm here," called Kazuki to the figure that had her back turned to the window. There was no mistaking that white coat and long, wavy hair in a shade of gray.

Given his low profile and tendency to stay out of school-based trouble, it was all but a given that this would be about the incident at Yuki-tan's event.

Knowing Miss Sadohara, it will probably start with some rant on the amount of work she gets assigned, the fact that she still lacks sleep, and finally, how finding love is a foolish trap designed to waste the youth of people.

Given that the teacher is currently on the side closer to thirty than twenty and still unmarried, the latter kinda makes sense as a coping mechanism.

However, the more Kazuki thought about it, the more it did not make sense. Why would he get called here for something that happened over the weekend?

Nothing really came about of that anyway... except maybe very nearly causing a riot on site. But that's the fault of the rabid fans, not his. That, and he had his 15 seconds of fame on some niche news outlets.

"Miss Sadohara?" Kazuki called for her again after not getting a response on his first try.

Finally, the teacher turned and faced the student with her easily-recognizable droopy eyes and eye bags. She also wore her favorite low cut dress that showed part of her large chest.

Having seen her many times like this, Kazuki was no longer caught by surprise, but after giving her another good look, she really fit the part of that flimsy chemistry professor, a role that she does occasionally take in addition to her main counselor job.

"Oh, you're here. Right on time. Take a seat."

She instructed Kazuki to take a seat on the sofa while she lazily walked over to her table and grabbed her cup of brewed tea.

"I suppose you know what I called you here for?" she said in a serious voice. She took a sip of tea as she awaited the answer.

"... The incident last weekend that made headlines?" With nothing else on his mind, Kazuki just gave his best guess.

Miss Sadohara gave a sarcastic clap. "Wow, we got a real genius here."

She then stood up and walked towards Kazuki.

The black-haired teen was not sure what she was about to do, but he felt himself being caught by surprise when he saw the outstretched hand of the school counselor in front of him.

"You did really well. Congratulations."

Kazuki raised his eyebrows and stared at the woman. "Did well at what?"

"The Fragment at South Quinn Street. Doctor Shin Kagami. Saving Uehara. What else?"

Kazuki nearly jumped off his seat in surprise.

"W-what?!" he yelled. "Hey, tell me you're just spouting bullshit you've heard from... I dunno, somewhere?"

Miss Sadohara returned his surprised expression with one of disdain herself.

"Why do you have that kind of expression? Am I so unconvincing? Given the kind of security you put on your contact info, you think some random prankster would get your number?"

Her voice seemed mocking despite her deadpan facial expressions, but Kazuki cannot help but feel slightly annoyed. Still, it took him by surprise. Thinking back at it, her explanations do hold a candle.

Kazuki's thoughts returned to his duel against that hooded figure. Slowly piecing everything together, things started making sense.

"Who else were you expecting? Mr. Tsuda? Or that flamboyant PE teacher? Is it too much of a stretch to imagine me as a cool Awakener who gave you hell with Yata no Kagami?"

"No, that's not it, but... I'm just having a hard time letting it all sink in, that's all."

"Well..." Miss Sadohara got close to Kazuki and caught him with a nudge. "How's Uehara?"

"Huuuh?"

"You're so alike and dishonest with your feelings I swear you were meant for each other. Don't tell me all my efforts of letting you work together and slowly develop that budding relationship was all for naught." She finished with a playfully distraught face.

She then raised both of her hands. With one hand shaped into a circle and the other pointed forward, she pushed the pointed finger inside the circle repeatedly in a vulgar motion, all while maintaining her stoic expression.

"If you keep that up, you'll both end up being lifelong virgins. You won't look at Amagi, but even the pretty transfer student now?"

"I'm not in the market for dating advice!" Kazuki snapped back, complete with an expression that he knew conveyed 'what the hell is up with that?' This was hardly the first time he had received this kind of teasing from this school counselor, but he just couldn't get used to it.

Both people then quickly turned to the door as it slid open, revealing the long-haired transfer student that they were talking about.

"Ah, speak of the devil," said Miss Sadohara with the sly smirk.

Uehara wore a scowl on her face, having an unamused expression after hearing those words. "What were you guys talking about?"

"Nothing too important... I think? Just some little love advice our beta friend here might need. I told him all about your interests, your moe charms, and your measurements~~"

"You what?!"

"N-nonono, she's obviously lying!" Kazuki panicked upon seeing his classmate heading his way. He furiously waved his hands and shook his head. "You know each other right? You know she's one big perverted troll, right?"

"Oh, that's not nice, Arata... Maybe I should reconsider what I wrote in the behavioral report addressed to Mr. Tsuda..."

"No! Have mercy," begged Kazuki, who now turned his focus on the gray-haired school counselor despite his angry transfer classmate now standing beside him while carrying an ominous presence.

"I'm just kidding, you two idiots!" said Miss Sadohara as she returned to her personal table's side. She cleared her throat and clapped her hands three times. "Well, now that you're both here, let me get to the point."

Her playful voice turned serious all of a sudden, indicating a sudden mood whiplash.

"I personally made it a mission to investigate this recent mass opening of Mu's Fragments, this phenomenon that hasn't happened in years."

"Despite the latest threat being subdued, we now know that there are rogue Awakeners out there trying to use Mu's power for their own goals," she continued while exchanging glances with the two Awakeners. "Human intervention seems to be the key as to why these portals have become a lot more active in claiming victims recently."

She took another sip of her tea before putting the cup down with force.

"The doctor does not seem to be in any condition to create another mess in the meantime, but we cannot let our guards down. Who knows if other rogue Awakeners are out there ready to cause the next incident?" She then turned her gaze to Kazuki.

"Would you help us in continuing the investigation? The choice is yours, Kazuki Arata."

Kazuki gave it a thought. He remained silent, observing the expressions of both the school counselor and his classmate.

The thought of Mu, Fragments, Nullities, and his friends kept him occupied. He recalled the times he had inside Mu, and he recalled the battle against Dr. Kagami and what it took out of him.

Glancing at his left arm, he could as if see his Armament take shape, first as a shield, then a shield with a blade.

His aching muscles also seemed to want to convey a message to him, and he thought about how thanks to absentee parents, he's the only family Hikari has for the meantime.

Having made up his mind, he opened his mouth to give his decision.

3

"Sorry that that woman had to put you on the spot there," apologized Sayaka Uehara.

Glancing at the girl walking beside him, Kazuki gave his nonchalant reply.

"No biggie. I expected something like that out of her, to be honest. I'm more surprised with the fact that you already knew each other beforehand."

The conversation continued while the duo walked through the quiet corridor of Aspira Hospital.

"Well, she's the one that got me into Fuyusato as a student. Around the time I got my Armament, she was my point person. Really pays to have someone that understands what you're talking about, since you can't really have that Mu thing leaking out in public."

"Man, it all seems so crazy, but everything just falls into place so perfectly," Kazuki stretched his arms. "On another note, whatever happened to the doctor?"

"All data wiped from this hospital as well as logs that we can track. He took his sweet time preparing for that experiment, and he was able to cover his tracks quite seamlessly."

"So even Ms. Sadohara's connections within the city were not enough, huh... All the more I think that someone else is pulling the strings or playing the enabler for his crazy plot."

"It's practically a given at this point. We just need to be prepared when they decide to make their next move."

Kazuki thought of the implications of that. That would mean more tough battles ahead against people like Doctor Kagami. Who knows what kind of Armaments he would have to overcome along the way? Regardless, he believed that there was nothing that cannot be overcome in this world.

"We're here."

Uehara stopped in front of a door. After knocking it, she gently opened it.

She took the first step inside, and Kazuki followed suit, closing the door behind him. On a bed, he saw a face that he had not seen ever since that night in Aria Alley.

He was surprised to see the blonde youth seated on the bed, but he was more surprised at the transfer student classmate of his quickly walk beside the bed and give an apologetic bow.

"The doctor got away, and we have not been able to track him down. I also apologize for everything I did to you. Please forgive me."

"No, it's fine. I actually felt a lot of relief being able to tell you everything, Sakura," replied Jay. He looked surprisingly upbeat for what his current situation was supposed to be, if Kazuki correctly recalled what Uehara had told him. "At least now that even the doctor is gone, I would no longer have to hide anything."

"Sakura?" wondered Kazuki aloud with much amusement.

"It's a cover for the mission, okay?" retorted his classmate.

"The nurses also dropped by with good news. Someone dropped by and volunteered to take over, and after that, Mom's vitals were improving. The nurses said she's on her road to recovery. It's truly a miracle."

"A miracle, huh?"

He did not know a lot about the situation, but Kazuki thought of possible links to Dr. Kagami and his ability to manipulate Mu's powers.

He remained confused and failed to come up with a conclusion, and he felt the same vibes from his classmate when he caught her expression. Either way, it all ended well, so that's one less problem to worry about.

The conversation between the two of them continued, and while Kazuki paid little attention to the talks about more casual matters, he felt the vibes slowly turning more positive as the dialogues went on.

After visiting hours were over, the two found themselves taking a break in the hospital lobby. Seated together, they had time to let everything settle before calling it a day.

It was then that Uehara turned to Kazuki. She spoke.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?"

Kazuki shook his head.

"You know I cannot read minds."

Uehara nodded. She looked to the distance, as if deep in thought.

"Our battle is just beginning, Arata. The doctor is not the last one who would start opening those Fragments in a bid for power. This incident is far from finished."

She looked at Kazuki with a resolute expression and continued, placing a hand on her chest, "I have not forgotten my oath to myself. I will keep fighting and will end this incident with my own hands. I will prevent people from having to experience walking down the same painful path that Jay and I did. I would not allow anyone to stop me from doing so."

"Who do you think you're talking to? I made you make that promise after that fight, right? Whatever your burdens are, I will be here to carry part of it with you. I will be your strength, no matter what foes come our way."

Kazuki smiled. "Besides, I also made a similar promise myself. As long as I'm here, no one will get hurt. Those Nullities shall not harm anyone under my watch."

He raised his left arm horizontally as if his trusty shield was there.

"That's what it means to be an Awakener."

 

Thus ends the first volume and arc for Fractal Plane. Epilogue and Afterword to come in half an hour each. Hope you guys had fun.

6