Chapter 114: Histoire du Quartier
1k 14 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm gonna try to get a promotion at work. Wish me luck :p

We waited for a bit and a minute later Julie came back, supporting an old gray lady by her arm as she pushed a walking rack along. A little white dog followed them both from the room they came out of. I could not really tell what kind of dog it was, as I’m not really well-versed in the subject. Not about cats either, mind you, I just called Shima a little tiger cat and everyone would know what I was talking about.  

“Little doggie.” I could hear Ria say just under her breath. 

As if the little dog heard her, it enthusiastically ran over to Ria. Ria crouched down so she could pet it. 

“Awh! So cute!” 

The old lady chuckled slowly. “It looks like Bobby likes you.”

“Ria has a thing with animals.” Em replied. “They always seem to love her.” 

“She looks like a fine miss.” Lady Blanchet had managed to come stand in front of us. She then slowly pushed her glasses more firmly up so she could inspect us more closely. “So you are the girls who moved in next door?” 

“Yes, we moved in earlier today, I hope we didn’t disturb you too much.” I replied 

“These walls are very thick and sturdy, my dear. I haven’t heard a thing. And I don’t think that was only because of my bad hearing.” She looked over to Julie. 

“No, I haven’t heard anything either.” Julie nodded with a smile. 

“I was wondering what the activity was about outside, though. So I am very glad the three of you came to say hello.” She looked at each one of us separately, stopping a bit longer at Ria who was still playing with the little dog. Before she turned back to Em and me, she chuckled softly. “Would you like to come in for a cup of tea? It’s very cold outside.” 

“I would not mind at all, but now I do feel a bit guilty that we didn’t bring a gift with us.” I scratched the back of my head. 

“We have everything we need, dear. See it as a warm welcome to the neighborhood.” Lady Blanchet nodded wisely. 

“Then we will gladly accept your invitation.” Em gave our neighbor a light courteous bow. 

“Ria, is it good for you as well?” I asked. 

“Yes!” She scratched Bobby behind his ear. He barked happily. 

“Alright then, let’s close the door to keep the cold out.” Lady Blanchet slowly turned around and walked towards the door from where she came. In the meantime, Julie closed the door behind us. 

She then guided us to follow lady Blanchet into the main living room. The house was decorated in a similar style compared to my new home, albeit without a couple of modern renovations that had been added at my place. It did strike me that everything was spotlessly clean. Julie must be doing a really good job. 

After we sat down, Julie got us some cookies and tea so we could get to know each other a bit better with some food and drinks. Instead of tea, I decided to go with a glass of water though. 

 

We got seated and thus followed the introduction from Lady Blanchet. Apparently the house she lived in used to be in her family’s possession since it had been built. The house that occupied the land beforehand also used to be her family’s. It then passed down the family line until it had landed on her forty years ago. But since she had no children of her own and the rest of her family was too estranged or had died already, she had no one to hand it over to, or anyone to care for her. That’s why, when her health worsened a few years ago, she hired Julie and she has been taking care of her ever since. It was clear that the two regarded each other as family.

As for Julie herself, she had studied business at university. But after a first step into the actual sector, she quickly burnt herself out and was ready for a change of pace. When she was going around town to look for a temporary job, she haphazardly stumbled into this job opening. Taking an unlikely shot at it and unexpectedly getting a trial period. After which she was hired permanently. 

“If you don’t mind me asking.” Em started. “Why didn’t you pick someone who has studied caring for elders?” 

Lady Blanchet nodded slowly as she sipped from her tea. “I had given out a couple of trial periods before already.” She admitted. “Mostly to people who had experience in that field. While they were competent at what they were doing. I never really felt a connection with them.” She then smiled at Julie. “With Julie, I almost immediately felt there was something more there. She is a good listener and likes talking with me. She is interested in so many things and is passionate about many other subjects. And she’s really good at the violin too.” 

I looked over to Julie. The praise from Lady Blanchet was definitely making her blush a little. 

“And when you decide to hire a live-in caregiver. That connection is a lot more valuable than experience. Skills are something you can learn if you want to put the effort in. That connection is not something that’s easily forged.” Lady Blanchet definitely had a way with words, that’s for sure. “But that’s enough about us, I would like to learn about my new neighbors myself.” 

 

This was going to be a bit more tricky than just listening to their story, of course. There was plenty of stuff that we probably shouldn’t say, and that doesn’t only include the vampire part.

In the end, I went with the story that I had been adopted by a rich noble from out of town who’d met me when she visited my school and heard about my rather difficult youth. That she then wanted me to have a place for myself that I could make my own, rather than a place that I felt uncomfortable in. 

  As for Em and Ria, I didn’t really see the point in trying to hide that the three of us were in a relationship together. I couldn’t really bring it over my heart to lie about that. Luckily, it seemed like Lady Blanchet didn’t mind that at all. 

“It’s very good that you three have found a place to be yourselves. Although I must say I still think you are terribly young to live all on your own.” She specifically looked at me.

“I’m used to it. I lived by myself and with my cat for a lot longer already.” I replied. “And my new mom visits me regularly together with my uncle.” 

“Good.” Lady Blanchet smiled. “But if you ever want some company, feel free to give the door a ring. You are always welcome here. And the cookie closet is always full.” 

That made me laugh. “I’ll definitely come by occasionally. Also, feel free to rely on me if you need some groceries done if Julie is not available.” 

“That’s very nice of you.” This time it’s Julie who replied. 

“I’ll leave you my phone number in case.” I started to look around. Julie noticed and handed me a small piece of paper and a pen.

 

With introductions made, cups of tea and glasses of water emptied, and a couple of cookies unceremoniously vacuumed into Ria’s tummy, it was time for us to get going. We didn’t want to keep the ladies all day long. 

“Thank you for your hospitality.” I said as I stood up from my seat. “Now it’s time to go and say hi to the other neighbors. It’s still not too late in the evening for that.” 

“Don’t bother.” Lady Blanchet waved that away. “If I recall correctly, the other house next to yours is a magazine, nobody lives there, right, Julie?” 

“Yes. That’s true.” Julie nodded. 

“See, I told you some of these houses could be warehouses!” Em was quick to point that out to me. 

“Yeah, fair enough.” I laughed. 

Lady Blanchet also started laughing. “I’m pretty sure those people sell coffee, so most of their warehouse is filled with old coffee equipment and sacks of coffee beans.” 

“It has always been my dream to live next to a coffee warehouse.” I joked. “But it’s interesting, you could definitely not tell from the outside.” 

“The actual store is around the corner.” Julie said. “That’s why it’s not too obvious.” 

“Oh… The more you know.” I waited for Julie to guide us out of the room, which she swiftly did. “Lady Blanchet, thanks again for the hospitality, and see you next time.” 

“Please, dear, you can call me Rose.” At that point, Bobby jumped back on his lady’s lap to keep her warm for the rest of the evening. 

“Thank you, Rose!” Ria quickly made use of her newfound knowledge, to the pleasure of our hostess. 

“And thank you three for the company.” She replied. 

Em also said her goodbyes and then we walked out of the room and straight out of the door. 

“It was nice getting to know the three of you.” Julie said as we walked out. “Have a nice evening.” 

“You too!” We all replied, after which Julie closed the door with a smile. Leaving us standing in a light snowfall. 

“Shall we go back inside and rest a bit?” I proposed. “As we can’t go say hi to coffee beans.” 

“I think that’s a great idea. I am pretty tired.” Em admitted. 

“And I want to cuddle up to Rora too!” 

I chuckled. “Alright, let’s get ourselves installed in the sofa with a nice warm blanket then.” 

“Yay!” 

-I got to say that I’m not too sad that we didn’t have to go say hi to another neighbor, it leaves us plenty more cuddle time.-  

Hope it works out because it'll be quite the increase of net income :o

72