Arc 1 Chapter 17 “A Fight of Heaven and Hell”
74 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of metal hitting each other and sparks flying left and right between Gin’s greatsword and Vikov’s fists. Somehow, Vikov actually punches the sword that even Gin couldn’t believe his eyes. Every time a sword was coming to strike him, he punched it away with just his fists. No protection, no magical enhancements, no anything. Just his fists, and that’s all what it takes for him to become this strong.

They’ve been fighting like this for minutes ever since.

“Damn, I never met a person that was this strong! Strong enough to even punch my sword barehanded!”

“I have trained to withstand any weapon that’s come at me. Your feeble sword, no matter the size it takes, is no match for my fists.”

They’ve exchanged blows; hit after hit. Vikov punches and deflects Gin’s sword and Gin uses his sword to block and attack Vikov’s punches. Vikov is indeed strong, and that’s a fact. He can just punch or block or deflect a sword with ease without having a single scratch on his skin.

They’re both equally matched that it is impossible to know what is the outcome of this fight.

After a couple of clashes, both of them jumped back from each other. No matter how much Gin tried to cut him, he was left unscathed.

“But I must admit. You are indeed strong, stronger than anyone that I’ve ever faced. I can see why Darmac was eager to kill you. Your prowess does live up to your name, Leader of the Grey Moon.”

“Pah! I’m not a leader anymore. The life of being a soldier was over. I’m just a simple father who is going to save my son!”

“I see…”

Vikov closed his eyes and pondered for a bit, then he opened his eyes and looked at him again with a slight smile.

“How about we make a deal?”

“Huh?”

“We need a man like you to fill in within our ranks. If you join the Blue Sharks and become my right hand man, you will be paid handsomely and I will give you and your loved ones immunity, so you don’t have to worry about your family being harmed ever again. And when I die, you’ll be the one who will take my place as leader of the Blue Sharks and dictate how you wanted, how you control, just like what you had with the Grey Moon. We could use a great leader like you to command my men.”

“Well that shucks! But…”

Gin closes his eyes and thinks about Vikov’s offer. If he actually accepts his offer, he would be under Vikov’s protection and the raid towards his family would cease. Not to mention that he’ll gain control over other members of the Blue Sharks.

“Is that what you’re offering?”

“That’s right! Once you accept the deal, with all this power, you and I, we can build a better future together! For all of us! So what do you say? Care to accept the deal?”

He continued to close his eyes for a brief moment, then he opened his eyes and responded to the offer that he was given.

“For what you put on the table, that’s something that I would like, Mister Leader. Good money, protection for my people, and my own personal army? It is like a dream come true. With an offer like that, who can say no?”

“I’m glad that you’ve come through. Finally, someone who has seen the way—”

“—But I refuse!”

“—!”

“If you think that I’m crazy enough to join you to follow your future, your ideals? You’re wrong! I don’t need any prissy shit like money, royalty, or anything to do with you and your cause! I’ll decide my own future! But it won’t be just me alone, my wife and my children will be alongside me, and that’s all I’ll ever need. So I’m gonna beat you, get my son back, and we’re gonna live like a happy family.”

Proudly preaching his words to Vikov, Gin takes his stance with his greatsword out forward. His words show the valor of pride within himself. He didn’t say it just because he claims to be prideful. He said it because he is prideful. 

Unlike the giant tiger man standing in front of him, he has a valid and a goodwill reason for fighting. He doesn’t put himself first over others; he doesn’t care for riches, royalty, or being the best in the world. He fights to protect his family, and people that are very close to him, and set his sights to the future that he wants. That is the vision that he sees.

Vikov’s face disappeared into a frown and made a huge sigh as he was disappointed with Gin’s decision.

“So that’s your decision? It’s a shame, really. You had potential and I was hoping that I could convince you. But guess I was wrong.”

Spreading his legs a few inches, Vikov turned his legs sideways at a ninety-degree angle, then he pulled his right arm behind him, aiming at his opponent. Gin wasn’t sure what he was doing, but he dashed as he needed to make a move before Vikov could make one.

“Huah!”

“—!”

But all of the sudden, Vikov thrust his arm forward, punched the air in front of him and Gin suddenly stopped in place—no, he didn’t just stop, he felt it, in his gut.

“—Hkk!”

Gin vomited out blood as he mysteriously flew backwards. That attack just now felt like he was hit like a wrecking ball. But what was that just now? What was that attack? Even Gin hasn't had the faintest idea. It just flashed before his very eyes.

“Wh-What was—”

Before having the chance to get back on his feet, Vikov repeats the same motion and fires the invisible projectile. However, Gin manages to dodge it this time, hitting the floor instead and creating a crater that is the size of his fists.

Gin was swift as the wind; he was able to dodge Vikov’s invisible punches left and right between thrusts within a split second. Even though he’s light footed, however, he couldn’t keep dodging for long.

While that’s happening, Shouya gets off from the floor and thinks of a way to somehow stop Vikov.

What can I do, what can I do? I attacked him with the sword, but it didn’t leave a single scratch on him. How can I…

“—Ah!”

Upon realization, Shouya takes out a small bag with several Migi-gems inside—blue and green—still glowing brightly. He had forgotten that he still had them with him and didn’t get to use it. Now it is the time to do so.

He takes out one of each of the colored Magi-gems in each hand and holds them out in front of him.

“I hope this works! Hah!”

Using the Magi-gems, he claps them together, hoping that something would come out from them, hoping that he would save Gin.

“…Huh?”

But nothing happened. Not a single magic came out from them. He thought that seeing from what he saw what Alisa did, it would’ve done the same for him by rubbing the two Magi-gems with each other. But that didn’t work.

“C’mon, c’mon!”

He clapped them together, again and again, trying to get something out of it. But it didn’t work. His anxiety turns to frustration as the two magic crystals don't help him.

“Forget it! You’re no help!”

Giving up on trying to get magic out of them, he then, out of anger, childishly threw the Magi-gems on the floor. But then, something happened. Spikes that are made out of ice emerge from the floor and head towards Vikov and impale his right leg, immobilizing him.

“—!”

Vikov was in shock as that attack actually wounded him. He was too focused on fighting Gin that he had forgotten about Shouya. This forced him to stop attacking and now he was left wide open, giving Gin the chance to attack.

With his greatsword in hand, he lept towards and attacked the immobilized tigerman. With nothing to defend himself, Vikov used his left arm as a shield and Gin’s sword pierced through it, then he spun around the arm and he lops it off from his body and Vikov howled in pain as his giant arm landed on the hard surface.

Gin landed on his feet after the giant tigerman’s arm.

“How did ya like that? Not so tough now, are you?”

Vikov couldn’t comprehend how much he’s in pain; The white bone revealing from the wound, blood dripping from his arm, and bits of his fur and flesh falling from the wound where his arm was. He looked at his severed arm, then he looked at his leg, which was pierced by frozen spikes that came from the black-furred wolf boy and ice slowly started creeping up from his leg.

Can these heroic duos actually pull this off? With only one arm that he has left, they’re at the advantage. They can actually defeat him and save—

“…Ha…”

However, something was off.

“Huh?”

“Hahahahahaha! Ahahahahahahaha!”

Out of nowhere, Vikov suddenly bursts out laughing. The sound of his loud laughter echoes the empty chambers of the warehouse. Why was he laughing? What was on his mind?

Both Shouya and Gin were bewildered by this. They didn’t understand why he was laughing despite the fact that he’s at a disadvantage. In a situation, usually like this, the enemy would have either shout and curse at them or bend down and surrender. But to Vikov, however, that isn’t the case.

“What’s so funny?”

“You two actually hurt me! So this is what my flesh looks like? This is what pain feels like? I’ve been fighting for so long that I haven’t felt or looked at it in years!”

“What do you mean?”

“It means that I don’t actually have to hold back.”

In that moment, Vikov raised his leg high and he stomped the floor, like he’s some sort of a sumo wrestler. That stomp by itself felt like the earth shook a little, even both Gin and Shouya can feel it beneath the soles of their bare feet.

“Hoooooaaaaa!”

Dark green light starts emitting from under Vikov’s feet, then it flows up to his body, as if he was engulfed in flames. Then, something unexpected happened.

“Wha…?

“—! It can’t be…”

While Shouya tries to figure out what the mad beast was doing, Gin, on the other hand, knows what it is.

Vikov’s wounds around his body started to close up; The spike that was on his leg evaporated and the ice around it melted into nothing and the hole of that wound started to close up. But that’s not all. The stump on his arm started to regrow itself, turning it into a completely new arm, like he had never lost it in the first place.

He grabbed his former arm that was laying on the floor with his new arm and squeezed it hard enough that it exploded.

“Now this is better.”

“—Hey, bastard!”

“Hmm?”

“Where the hell did you learn that move?!”

Gin made a hard frown when he saw Vikov use that move. By the tone of his voice, he was very angry as he was familiar with that move. He wants to know where and why he has that move.

Vikov chuckled.

“So you know this move? I’ve learned it from my master, Dakolo.”

“Bullshit!”

“It is true. Dakolo knows all of his moves. Have your master not told you?”

“—”

“I guess he hasn’t, does he?”

Grounding his teeth, Gin remained silent as Vikov spills out the truth of where he learned these moves from.

“Art of the Force Breaker: Vustiroga. Art of the Earth Call: Druharven. And also, Art of Ultima Prime: Guyun Tatorra.”

“—!”

“You didn’t think I didn’t know that, did you? I was told that you’ve used it during your fight with Darmac. It’s a powerful ability indeed, but a dangerous one at that; Dangerous enough that it can destroy any armor, magic, weapons, and living things within the very flesh itself! It’s a magnificent ability!”

“…”

“To be honest, I envy you. I envy that you were gifted with an ability that can change the battlefield, to change fate itself! Your master taught you very well, unlike my incomitent master. I have learned almost all of Dakolo’s Fighting Arts, but that one I was unable to master. That’s why I needed you, alive, so that we can build a foundation between each other. But alas, with the limited time we have and you declining to join us, that isn’t possible anymore.”

With his deep and rough voice, Vikov voiced his honesty and praised Gin for his success—at least to the extent. But even though he was being honest to him, Gin remained silent and still has his greatsword aimed at him, holding his ground.

“But…”

Gripping his jacket that he’s wearing, Vikov ripped it from his body and threw it to the side, revealing his large and muscular bare body, so muscular that they could see some of his veins bulging. His entire body was covered with fur that was white as snow with black stripes around him.

Compared to Gin, who has a four-pack, Vikov doubles that. He had spent his years training, honing his fighting capabilities and mastering his abilities. If Shouya had faced him alone, it would be obvious who would be the winner.

“This doesn’t mean that I will not go down so easily.”

“—!”

Then, without a second, the atmosphere changed. Vikov’s body suddenly begins to spark and coated his body with miniature sized blue lightning around him. This is different from his usual self a couple of minutes ago; both Shouya and Gin can feel a powerful pressure that is coming out from him. It could be their animal instincts reacting to that, but it isn’t that.

The moment that they felt Vikov was about to unleash his power, the pressure was…heavy.

“I will fight until I am satisfied! No matter what or who will come across, I will not falter! I will lead the Blue Sharks to the right path! I will destroy Theacala!!”

Souya and Gin were ready as Vikov was about to make his next attack. But without a moment to blink, Vikov, out of nowhere, was right next to Shouya with lightning speed and punched him square in the jaw, sending him dragging.

“Gin!”

Wh-What just—

“I wouldn’t forget about you, boy!”

“Pwah!”

Vikov didn’t give him a chance to think; he punched Shouya with his giant fist and forced him to slam into the wall and cough out blood.

He’s gotten stronger than before. He had just unleashed a whole new power that they have never witnessed before. His speed and strength was amplified to something that is so high that they weren’t able to react to what he’s going to do.

This is the power of the leader of the Blue Sharks.

In an attempt to get a damage on him, Gin sends a downward slash above him, but Vikov quickly defends himself. Sword and fist clash; exchanging one strike to another between the wolfman and the large tigerman. Even though Gin held his ground, sending powerful slashes with his greatsword, but Vikov’s fists are much faster, sending rapid punches to the wolfman.

Gin tries his best to defend all his attacks, but he could hold on for much longer and his guard was broken so easily. He then was uppercutted, launching him to the air and his body hit the ceiling of the warehouse. But he was not done. Vikov jumped high in the air and punched him directly, breaking through the ceiling and began flying in the air of the night sky.

While in midair, slowing down the velocity of the jump, Vikov throws a few blows to him before he does a spinning ax kick to send him crashing back down to earth. But he’s not finished. The wild tigerman starts to fall from a height that is grand and he holds his fist forward as he crashes on top of his body like a meteor crashing down, and as he touches land, a powerful force that is so strong that the shockwave from that crash explodes the warehouse. Anyone that is near the vicinity would get blown away by the powerful wind from that attack.

 

※           ※          ※        ※        ※      ※       ※

 

After that chaotic impact, the violent wind became calm.

“—Gn! Guah! Hah!”

Emerging from a pile of rubble, Shouya stands up from the ground and surveys around him.

The destruction caused by the attack from Vikov was quite large. The structure of the warehouse of where they were became nothing but scraps of what it was and exposed to the open night of the dark sky, the bright moon glistening down above them.

Pieces of metal from the destroyed warehouse were scattered around the harbor and some of them, no matter the size, punctured on hard surfaces, even some of the debris that was scattered landed on other warehouses.

That was the destruction that the leader of the Blue Sharks caused.

“G…Gin?”

Shouta looked around to see if Gin was around, but with all the rubble around, it would be difficult to find him. However…

“—! Jakki!”

He saw the small dog child under a small amount of debris and ran towards him. He tossed the debris aside and held the child in his hands.

“Gn… Mister?”

As he softly called out to him, the small child slowly regained consciousness and started to open his small dog-like eyes. Shouya lets out a sigh of relief as Jakki is alive.

“Don’t worry, your dad and I are here to rescue you.”

“Papa?”

The little boy looked around, seeing all the destruction that happened while he was unconscious. However, Jakki’s father, Gin, wasn’t in plain sight.

Now that I think about it, where is he?

“Gh!”

“Mister?”

Before he tries to figure out where he is, Shouya feels a sharp pain in his chest. The last thing that he remembered was facing off against Vikov, but he was punched so hard that it caused him to black out. That was the only thing that he remembered.

He looked at Jakki, who had a worried expression on his puppy-like frame.

“I-It’s fine, don’t worry.”

As much as he wants to pretend that he was fine, he was not. That pain that he received felt like he was hit by a truck. He wasn’t sure how long he was knocked out, but guessing by his surroundings, and the Inquisitor hasn’t arrived yet, he can guess that only a few minutes had passed.

“Wh-where’s papa?”

“Your father is here.”

When they heard a deep, rough voice, they could hope that Gin is alive and has actually beaten the leader of the Blue Sharks.

“—!”

—But instead, they met with terrified expressions on their face. Vikov is still alive, standing in front of them. Shouya couldn’t believe it; he wanted to hope that Gin actually beat him, but in the end, he couldn’t.

“P…Papa?”

“Huh?”

Shouya couldn’t hear what Jakki had said; his voice was so quiet that he didn’t understand him but saw his mouth quivering. When he looked back at Vikov…

“—!!”

It became clear to what he had meant.

Vikov raised his arm high and showed them a bloody body that he was holding before dropping it in front of them like a ragdoll.

The body that was covered in blood…was Gin.

0