Arc 2 Chapter 2 “Boarding”
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Shouya felt refreshed and his body was good as new after coming back from the bathhouse last night. Now that his body is all rested up, he's getting ready to go to work.

He got out of bed and head downstairs to start working—

"Huh?"

When he first went downstairs, he noticed that Enna wasn't present.

That's weird. She's not here.

Usually Enna was the first one to arrive before either the children, Shouya, or even Gin in this household. She was in charge of managing money, taking care of the plants, and even opening the store to know that they're open for business.

It's strange to see this store empty without them.

Did I wake up too early?

He took a moment as he sat on a stool and looked out of the window to pass the time. This place was quiet. There were no people on line waiting outside of the store and there were little people walking on the streets.

He waited for several minutes until he heard the hardwood floor creaking and talking heading downstairs.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?"

"Someone needs to keep an eye on the kids here."

"She was my friend, too."

"I know, but people need you here in this store!"

Shouya sees Gin and Enna talking to each other, arguing about something. What he had missed? Did something happen overnight while he was sleeping? Shouya wasn't quite sure. He intervened and asked them.

"Is…something going on?"

"Oh, Shouya! It's nothing. We're just having a family argument, that's all."

He wanted to believe it, but that's not the case. When he hears "family argument", he knows that it isn't just that.

"What kind of family argument? Because that sounded like more than that."

"…"

They were given a silent treatment. They weren't sure what to say next. Enna looked at Gin in the eyes for a short while before giving a defeated sigh.

"Well, the thing is…someone who used to know us for a long time passed away in Silovilio."

"Oh! …Oh…"

The concept of losing someone that you know for a long time was heartbreaking for most people. Losing someone dear to you; whether be your friend, your family member, or even someone you love can leave a hole in their heart.

Shouya knows this too because he lost someone important to him, and he can relate to their grief.

"So you two are going to attend their funeral?"

"I'm going to the funeral. Along with Gunther."

"Oh, so he can go but not me?"

"Please don't start, Ennie."

"Don't Ennie me!"

Both of them resumed their argument. Back and forth, they bicker each other on who gets to go to the funeral. If they both go, who is going to manage the store while they're gone? The kids? Less likely, and it's irresponsible to leave minors home alone by themselves.

Shouya has an answer and response with, "I'll go."

"Huh?"

Gin and Enna paused and turned their attention to Shouya.

"I mean, I don't know how to or am I even qualified to manage this store by myself, so I thought that I could, you know, take your place. I mean, if that's what you want. To be quite honest, for the past month, from what I've learned about this place, it taught me that I should explore other places and learn from them. So with all due respect and with your permission, please let me take your place."

Shouya relunctily bowed his head forward as he was hoping that she would accept his offer. Both Gin and Enna looked at each other and thought over his decision. It's possible that he'll take Enna's place to go with Gin. But at the same time, it's a big world out there, so he doesn't know where Silovilio is located.

However, even if he doesn't get accepted, he understands the dangers that lie ahead that he won't expect. But it is worth a try.

"Shouya, are you sure?"

"Yes."

After a short answer from Shouya, Enna took a deep breath and exhaled.

"I don't have a choice, do I?"

"Then you'll…"

"Yes, you can go with Gin. Only because you said so, and I can understand your determination. Plus, it was the only way to get him to shut up."

"Now that's just harsh."

Gin dropped his head forward as if he had just received an arrow of insult to the head from his wife and she just casually laughed. But all Shouya could do was to smile as he had just gotten his wish.

 

 

※          ※          ※        ※        ※      ※      ※

 

 

"So this person, Urbria, who is she exactly?"

"Hm? You didn't know?"

"Know what?"

"She's the Queen of Silovilio."

"H…Huh?!"

Shouya exclaimed out loud as they traveled in the quiet streets of Vincilos on foot. There weren't really that many people on the street; there were only a few people walking or riding on carriages. But outside of that, there weren't a lot.

Q-Q-Q-Queen?!

"Yaow! Not so loud!"

"I'm sorry, but wait a minute. Queen of Silovilio?"

"The one and only."

Shouya needed to take some time to process this. The Queen of all people. He didn't expect that Gin would know about her or had met her. This was the first time that Shouya had met someone who had connections with the royal family. But that doesn't restrict to just Gin, but to Enna, too, as she had connections with them as well.

After walking for a while, they arrived at the harbor. Enna had told him that Silovilio was across the country, that's what he remembered before he and Gin had left the store. So in order to get to Silovilio, they have to travel by sea.

He looked around at the harbor and saw a lot of people fishing and so many ships docked—either by delivering cargo or whether people were getting off or boarding on the ship.

Wow, things have changed in the past month. I'm actually surprised.

Before, the harbor was the Blue Sharks' base of operation. They were hoarding warehouses filled with valuable and useful items stored while driving away fishermen from fishing in that place. Now it has become a place where fishermen are finally able to fish and ships are able to dock safely once again.

Shouya looked at various ships and couldn't help but extend his eyes in amazement.

"Say, do you know which ship will take us to Silovilio?"

"I…haven't thought about that."

"Huh?!"

He didn't book one?!

Out of all things, he wasn't prepared that Gin didn't reserve a ship that would head to Silovilo. Shouya was shocked to hear it coming from him.

"Couldn't you find a ship that will take us?"

"I would, but look at all of this. It's packed!"

There are other ships around the harbor, but they are either reserved for delivery purposes or they are so full that there's a line of people coming in and out of the ships. But even if they found one, they don't know where they are going to take them.

It's only a matter of luck if they found a ship that will take them to Silovilo.

"But how are we gonna find a ship that'll take us to Silovilo?"

"Hey, Sho!"

"Huh?"

Shouya sees the familiar red furred fox girl waving at them as she approaches the two beastmen. However, someone was missing.

"Say, where's that idiot? He said that the three of us are going to go."

"He said that he's gonna be busy at the inn, so he sent me to take his place."

"Oh great, now I have two kids that I'm gonna watch out for."

Gin comedically facepalms himself after hearing that news and both Shouya and Alisa laughed. Then their laugh faded and returned to the problem.

"Now what was this about finding a ship?"

"Well, the thing is, we didn't reserve a ship, and the ships are packed. So we have no idea how we are gonna get to the place."

"Hmm… That's a tough situation. Oh, excuse me!"

As the boys try to figure out a way to get to Silovilio, Alisa asks the person next to her.

"Yes, miss?"

"Do you know any of these ships that will take us to Silovilio?"

"Unfortunately, from what I've heard, none of them are headed to that city and the ship to Silovilio doesn't arrive until the next three days."

"Three days?! But this is urgent. We need to get there as soon as possible."

"Sorry, but I don't make the calls."

The three of them lowered their heads as they were disappointed at what they heard. Three days is a little too late, they want to arrive Silovilio right now. But it's likely that they won't arrive in that city at all.

Seeing their distraught look, the beastman raised a finger and said "However, we are delivering the shipment to that place. We could make an arrangement for you guys to get there while we're at it."

"Really? Thank—"

"—But if there's anyone who will be willing to call the shots, you gotta speak to our captain. Want me to take you to her?"

"Y-Yes, please."

They followed the beastman and he brought them to the ship where they were delivering supplies to Silovilio. The vessel was long and tall; made of oblong dark brown wood and three long masts carrying a group of sails each.

The view of the ship was grand and Shouya could feel the intimidating aura around it.

"Oi! Watch the cargo! Don't you know how valuable these supplies are? Break 'em and I'll dock your pay!"

"Aye, Captain!"

"Captain, these people are seeking to travel to Silovilio with us."

"Oh, do they?"

Hearing this, she turned around and looked at the three people who requested to travel with her.

She was a tall and slender beastwoman who, despite being the leader of her crew, wore such revealing clothing, exposing a large proportion of her skin and fur—at least that's what's half of it. Aside from her cheetah-like body covered with gold fur with black spots, she was missing a left leg and her right arm, only to be replaced with a wooden claw and a prosthetic wooden leg. It wasn't just her limbs, but her left eye too was covered by an eyepatch over her large and visible scar.

Imitated by her pirate-like appearance, Shouya thought that this plan might be a bad idea. Instead, Alisa spoke first.

"We're looking for a ship that can take us to Silovilio and I was hoping that there's room for a few passengers like us."

"Aye, so I've heard. But I guess you also heard about the Queen's death. Guess you lot are heading to the funeral just like the rest of them."

"Yes. That's the reason that we—"

"As much as I wanted to help you three, 'fraid that's not possible. The harbor in that city was packed up and we're just delivering these supplies to that place. Nothin' more, nothin' less."

"We'll pay you however you like."

Alisa pulls out a bag of Ercos from her pocket, but before she could give her the bag, the captain pushes the bag away with her prosthetic arm.

"No can do, lass. We have a moral code around here: 'we'll give to the need and we don't take what isn't ours'"

"Isn't that the opposite of the pirate's code? Eee—!"

"Watch your tongue, boy. Don't lump me and my crew with them. Got that?"

When the captain heard Shouya say that, she aimed her wooden claw at his neck. That arm isn't just for show. Even though it's made out of wood, he could feel the sharp edges from it. It's possible that she could use it as a weapon and stab anyone with it.

Gin held her arm and moved it away from the boy.

"Hey now we're lookin' for a ride, not to start a fight."

"Oho, well it isn't the beast in purple himself. I've heard stories about you. Oh, what's that? A fight you said? That's a great idea!"

"No, wait, that's not what I meant!"

Before she could listen to him, the captain lept back a few feet before she declared that she wanted to fight.

"How about this: if you beat me in a fight, then I'll let you onboard."

"I don't think this is a good idea."

"What's wrong? You're too afraid?"

"Listen, I'm not going to fi—"

Without a moment's notice, she reluctantly charged in head first and threw the first punch, but Gin quickly reacted and blocked the attack.

"Damn it, lady! I'm not going to fight you!"

"C'mon now, don't be a coward. If you truly are what they say you are, then you would accept my challenge."

"For the last time, I'm not—"

Consecutive attacks have been coming at him; punch, kicks, even using her prosthetic limbs to her advantage. But Gin blocks or even dodgers her attacks. Then in that moment, he dodges and grabs her wooden arm.

"Will you pay attention to me for once?"

"What's wrong? Going soft on me? I don't like men who have gone soft!"

Holding the arm in place, she spun her body and grabbed his head with both of her legs and flipped Gin into the ground, putting him into a chokehold with her legs. She has some sort of mechanism that she can spin her body without having to move her prosthetic arm. That helps her get out of situations like that.

"Please stop fighting! We only want to go to the city. There's no reason for you two to fight!"

"Well keep dreaming because once your friend is out, you ain't going anywhere."

"…"

Without any options left, Shouya decides to get on the ground on all fours and places his forehead on the ground, pleading for the captain to take them to the city.

"Please, I'm begging you. We just wanted to go to the city and we really need you guys to take us there. I'll give you anything you want, so please."

Shouya didn't want to fight; he never wanted to fight nor did he have the strength to fight. He was not good at fighting when he first came here, he didn't want to make the same mistake again. All he could do was swallow his pride and beg.

"…"

She looked away for a brief moment until she gave a short sigh and said "Fine" before letting go of Gin.

"But I'm only doing it because I have a soft spot for weak kids like you. Alright men, hoist the anchors! We'll be setting sail!"

"Aye captain!"

W-Weak?

The crew began preparing to depart as they stored the remaining supplies onto the ship. The captain held out her hand to Gin to assist in getting back up to his feet.

"Need a hand, old man?"

"'Old'? Pah! I'm not old. I got more life in me!"

"Whatever you say, old man."

"C'mon you two. Instead of arguing with each other, why not just get to the ship and head to the city already."

"Hm, the lass got a point here. Why don't you all come to my ship? I've got some ale on the ship. We can talk more while we're on the way."

"I'll be gladly taking that offer."

Concluding with the back and forth banter, Shouya and his friends board the ship and they finally set sail.

0