Ch. 11 – Vahe tala
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Light shone through the openings in the latticed dome of the arena. Dust lazily swirled under the natural spotlight as it illuminated a patch of the gloomy, darkened arena.

All along the walls, within the murky shadows that restlessly shifted and danced, the glint of viewing windows could be made out. Just barely, you would have to look a little harder than was comfortable. You’d only catch the sight for a sliver of a moment before it changed. Then you’d be left wondering if you were looking at the same pane of reinforced glass. But it wouldn’t feel quite right.

The sound of clicking heels chilled the air. For the candidates, the ‘normal’ mortals, the air felt heavy, pregnant, ready to explode.

A tall figure stepped into the funnel of unnaturally bright light. It was a woman, one many of the candidates and members would recognize. The harsh light beaming down on her only served to make her face seem much more angular, much more regal.

“Welcome, candidates, members, and observers,” she began. Her voice was even but it boomed throughout the arena, amplified by the innate mana contained within the space. “Welcome to the Motu, home of the Tu’i, base of the Conglomerate. I am Camarin, Named and Matapule.”

She opened her arms in a grand gesture and light flooded the arena. It seemed to grow, larger and larger still as the light uncovered its hidden mysteries.

“We welcome you all, brave candidates, and thank you for accepting our invitation. This Advent tournament will be host to hundreds of fierce, capable combatants representing their respective nations, states, cities, towns, villages, themselves. Whatever it is that drives you and has led you here, we welcome you.”

Camarin smiled, baring her teeth and dazzling her rapt audience. She couldn’t see any of them, all the viewing windows remained heavily tinted with shadow, but she could feel the attention. The gazes were hot, some wanted her, some were incensed, others didn’t care too much. And they all felt disgusting, like the tiny legs of millions of insects scrambling up and down her body.

“Amongst all you capable warriors is the next Tu’i, the 12th of the brood and the newest in line for the regency of this plane. We hope you will all fight, compete, and achieve the absolute best outcome for yourselves.”

She clenched her fist and raised it, smile having turned into a vicious grin as she spoke. The intense shadows that covered her face turned it into a fierce war mask. A roaring cheer filled the arena.

With a quick turn of the foot, Camarin pivoted and turned. Her flowing dress flared beautifully around her legs. The mysterious light that flooded the cavernous arena shut-off, ushering the restless shadows back into the hallowed ground.

---

Nima clapped as the shadows in the Domain shifted and opened, spitting out Camarin.

“Good job little Fiti, got them right and ready for some violence,” he giggled as he mocked Camarin.

“Yeah, yeah Tamai. If you’d gone out there you would have said 4 words and walked off.”

Taha floated by, riding a wave of shadow as he lay back. His bulbous stomach jiggled as he passed the tall woman.

Camarin sneered at the little man, flicking his forehead with a long nail.

“Ow! You stupid little bitch!” Taha yelped, rubbing his forehead as his shadowy cloud floated away.

Wha snickered, glancing at Taha with open disdain. ‘Ekolu shook his head as he rubbed Wha’s back with a large hand.

“Stay away from me you ugly little fuck,” Camarin sneered, passing the bobbing little man as she walked towards Nima’s broken-in throne.

Taha floated away, sinewy shoulders shaking as he mumbled under his breath.

“Taha, where do you think you’re going?” Rua shot him a sneer. “Plant your ass somewhere. Don’t even think of slinking away.”

Taha continued to mutter to himself, mocking her barbed words as he found a comfortably out-of-sight corner to hide in. Wanu’s short juvenile form popped up behind him.

“Boo!” she pushed him, sending his short body sprawling forward. Her giggling bounced around him, closing in and boxing him in as he scrambled back to his feet. “How’s it going little ugly? Haven’t seen you in a while.”

Wanu squatted next to the exasperated man, poking his exposed belly while making “pop-pop” noises.

“Old lady, didn’t know Tamai called you in too,” Taha mumbled, clawing at her finger.

“Yeah, this one’s gonna be big,” Wanu stood, dusting off her colorful dress as she did. “I heard you got to meet with the palangi’s. Any of ‘em look like they can get the job done?”

“Nope,” Taha giggled wildly as he bounced up into his familiar crouching position. “They’re all so hopped up on their little beliefs, they really think they’re hot shit. But we’ll see, maybe even two of us can lend them a hand.”

The amorphous ground beneath the chatting Tu’i’s shifted, reaching up and pulling them down into its dark confines. A moment later they reappeared next to Nima. Wanu’s small form let out a cackle as they rose.

“Tamai, you coulda just asked us to come over instead of pulling us like that.”

“This was easier than talking,” Nima’s quiet voice exerted immense pressure on the assembled group, regardless of how good natured it sounded. “Go ahead and make your reports.”

“I’ll go first,” Taha flinched as he made eye contact with Wha, his snake-like eyes shifting away as his words tumbled out. “They could be strong, but I smacked 'em down real good. They’re probably good and ready for some killing right about now, I sent a couple groups of members over to ‘em to keep ‘em happy. They’re from the Middlelands, influence a good chunk but the period they’re from is too far past their heyday. They’re all named and remembered. But I don’t think my support’ll be enough.”

Nima nodded, rubbing his chin as he mulled the long winded report over.

“I propose I support,” Wanu said. “To achieve your dream, I think I would be the perfect one to complement Taha’s style.”

“Add Rua.”

Rua inhaled sharply. She wanted to speak up but stopped herself, pushing the rising disgust down.

“I know you don’t want to work with Taha. But it’ll be necessary,” Nima spoke and his words became law.

“Tamai, 3? Are you sure? Is it really time?” Wha asked, barely veiling the edge in her voice.

“It might be. Might not be. We’ll see if that’s enough. On to the next. Wanu, the candidates?”

“Currently,” Wanu walked into the middle of the natural circle that had formed around Nima. “We are still interested in two groups. A pair of siblings from the Seas. They’ve come into contact with yourself, Wha, and ‘Ekolu at different times and seem to have garnered some attention. They’ve grown since their arrival and should continue to grow throughout the tournament.”

“And the second group?” ‘Ekolu asked, leaning back and stretching his long legs out.

“A group of foreigners led by an annoyingly persistent Voice adherent. Among them is one of interest. He carries the blood of the old and seems to be aware of it. The candidate has been hiding something. I think he might have been contacted by one of your sons before he arrived. They all carry the blessing of the One and seem to be wanting to unite with a group from the Three.”

Nima smirked, letting out a scoff. “Let them unite.”

Wanu bit her lip, hesitating before blurting out a question.

“Did you arrange for the palangi’s to come?”

“Yes,” Nima nodded. “Insurance.”

“Then is that why Hiku and the others are here?” Camarin finally spoke up.

“No, they’re here to visit me.”

Camarin frowned, confusion showing itself on her angular face. Wanu kept her face as neutral as possible, upper lip quivering as it betrayed some of her frustration with Nima’s obtuse nature. ‘Ekolu scratched his head, not too sure what was going on. Taha swayed back and forth, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. He’d lost all interest after he’d delivered his report. Rua looked away, fighting the annoyance that bubbled just beneath the surface. And Wha was done.

“Tamai, why do you always have to be so cryptic? Why can’t you just make things simple?” Wha’s voice rose as she began to speak faster, chest rising and falling as her own frustrations bubbled over.

“Because,” Nima smirked. The light within the Domain fled as the atmosphere cooled. It knew something was coming.

“That’s so stupid!” Wha jumped to her feet, clenching her hands as her arms trembled. “Why can’t you just tell us!? It’s so annoying trying to piece every little thing together!”

“Sit down, little girl,” Nima’s smirk fell away. His voice dropped until the Tu’i felt the words rather than heard them.”

“No! I’m tired of it, pop! Just tell us what the fu--” an immense pressure cut off Wha’s tirade as she was flung to the ground. The amorphous shadows creaked underneath her, concaving around her form as the stress continued to bear down. All around, the rest of the Tu’i fell, unable to resist the force.

‘Ekolu found himself on all fours, muscles tense and rippling as he fought against Nima’s anger. His neck muscles strained as he let out groan, fighting to look up and make sure Wha was ok. Shadows reached up and latched onto his face, pulling him down. Each and every muscle up and down his body seized as he resisted.

Wanu was knocked onto her butt then doubled over, small body folded in half. She showed no signs of resistance as the shadows around her body reached up with their ichorous fingers and latched onto her small figure. Her eyes were shut tight as she fought the urge to scream.

Taha’s eyes spun as the darkness crept up and engulfed his vision. He was on his back, long tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. His rotund belly was pushed down, making him appear much skinnier than he actually was. A trail of black ink leaked out of his long ears.

Rua’s tatau were fully lit, illuminating her against the pitch darkness that had fallen over the Domain. Teeth gritted, she inched herself into a position to be able to stand. She resisted, maybe even more ferociously than ‘Ekolu, because she wanted to punish Wha. Her eyes, bloodshot and frenzied, stared at the area where Wha had been.

Camarin lay belly down as she strained to look at her fathers face. Her cheek repeatedly hit the floor as she fought to look up. The force dragged her skin down as the shadow latched on with a sickly suckling, creeping up and covering the half of her face closest to the ground. She tried to yell over the pressure that was causing her ears to ring, trying to reach out and settle the leader of the Tu’i.

All air was driven out of Wha as she continued to be mercilessly pushed down. The amorphous shadow continued to crumble, unsure whether it wanted to resist the intent or aid in swallowing the Tu’i. Wha didn’t struggle, her eyes completely covered in the dark muck as it wriggled its way into her skull.

As the Tu’i fought to stay composed, Nima sat with one leg draped over the other. His worn hands, coarse and rough from long years of hard work, covered his mouth as his eyes glinted darkly. The raging white noise that filled the vacuum continued to assault the rest of the Tu’i as he watched.

One moment they were struggling. The next, everything was back to normal. Wha wheezed as she was finally let go. The portion that had caved in bounced back, releasing her from its shadowy grip. The rest of the Tu’i let out a collective breath, choking and spluttering. None dared move, keeping their positions no matter how bizarre it seemed.

“Next time, think before you speak,” Nima’s voice was even and quiet. No emotions, no intonations. Just a flat drone. He, and his seat, melted into the shadowy ground, popping out of sight.

---

All around the Motu the members were busy hustling. Gathering what needed gathering and reordering what needed organizing. The arena bustled as the Faifekau addressed their charges, informing them of the rules and format of the Advent tournament.

Some of the candidates were still busy swooning over the mysterious beauty, the Named woman. For some reason they couldn’t remember her name despite having just learned it. It didn’t help that the members and Faifekau refused to repeat it.

Amid the bustle a moment occurred. For a singular moment everything stopped. All breathing, all speaking, all thought. Time itself stood still as the anger of Nima descended. Many fell to their knees, others swayed on their feet and had to support themselves against the dark walls of their waiting rooms. Some members fainted despite being on the other side of the island. And some Faifekau, in an effort to hide their existential fear, bolted out of their assigned rooms and took refuge in the long, dark hallways of the arena.

All over the island, his rage could be felt. And for that singular moment everything stopped and waited.

1