Chapter 26: Cameron’s Trial
23 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We were back in that room from earlier. The atmosphere felt far tougher than that of Dovacath. I was on the defense side of the room with Jon. Cameron was present inside of the large metal cage over the abyss which was now full of fire!

I could hear people in the gallery were demanding death. Did they all come to see people die? People are just messed up in the future, I guess.

"This court is now in session for that… thing in the cage." said the judge, who didn't look that much different from Dovacath's, "Now, are both sides ready?"

"Is it me, or do these judges always seem like nameless faces?" commented Jon.

"Um… the defense is ready." I responded.

"Alright," said the judge, "prosecutor... oh, crap! Are you ready?"

"Hmmm… what an odd name," I responded, "yet it kind of makes sense."

"Ahem… sorry, prosecutor," said the judge, "Y'see, I'm getting old and I… kind of forgot your name."

Over at the prosecutor's bench was the woman from earlier and she said: "I am a prosecutor. Nothing more. Nothing less. I will make this town get the justice it deserves. That 'thing' in the cage will be found guilty!"

"Thanks for the… interesting opening statement." responded the judge, "but who exactly are you?"

"There are more important things to worry about," answered the prosecutor, "so I'd like my first witness to come forward as soon as possible."

"This woman is a real mystery," said Jon, "We don't even get to know her name. Even in court."

Pretty soon, there was a young woman with short blonde hair and blue eyes on the witness stand.

"Tell us your name and profession." instructed the prosecutor.

"Wait a minute… OBJECTION!" I shouted, "The prosecutor hasn't given an opening statement!"

"Because I'm not giving one." she said.

"Is that so…?" I responded nervously.

"You should have done your homework," she said, "instead of expecting me to spill everything."

"OBJECTION!" I responded, "You wouldn't give me the information when I asked before the trial!"

"Enough!" said the judge, "Just do your job. It doesn't matter what happened between you two."

"Great…" I said.

"Well," said Jon, "at least we have a few pieces of evidence in the court record."

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Yes," answered Jon, "the case summary details that Cameron, or as the summary puts it, 'that thing' is accused of sorcery. It says right here that he used an incantation to summon rocks."

"Wait- sorcery!?" I responded.

"Ahem… the autopsy report says the victim, Stan Hunter suffered a blow to the head with a rock. Also, that rock is in the 'record'." said Jon.

"Anything else?" I asked.

"A card," he answered, "six of diamonds."

"Wait… six of diamonds?" I responded, "That seems familiar somehow. Anyways, why was that card even-"

"Stop talking." commanded the woman across the room.

"Er, sorry." I said, "I'm just still a bit unfamiliar with this case."

"Well, then." she said as she picked up a large book, "Perhaps this book of incantations will help you?"

Right after that, she threw it across the room and it hit me in the face.

"Aug!" I shouted, "Why the fu-"

"Witness," she demanded, "testify about what you saw."

"First, let me answer your previous question," responded the witness, "My name is Dana Smith and I build houses."

"Should I ask for more details?" I whispered to myself, "Meh, it can't be anything suspicious."

"I was on my way home when I saw two men facing each other." said Dana, "It was quite a distance away, but I could still tell one of them was a sorcerer."

"So, how did you know that he was a sorcerer?" I asked.

"He had a magic stick, so he had to have used it to commit the crime." answered Dana.

"So he had a magic stick, huh?" I replied.

"That's right. He had a sorcerer's magic stick." responded the witness.

"OBJECTION!" I shouted, "No, he didn't."

"What are you saying?" asked Dana.

"If the defendant actually had a magic stick," I said, "why isn't it even in the record?"

"OBJECTION!" shouted the woman on the other side of the room, "That's because I was waiting until the right time to present it."

"Wait… what?" I responded.

"This is the magic stick, or rod, as the sorcerers themselves call it," she said, holding up a large stick, "I appreciate your efforts. Unfortunately, it seems you lost."

"Ron," said Jon, "I have a suggestion."

"What?" I responded.

"Request to examine the magic stick… why does it feel so wrong to say that?" answered Jon.

"Your honor," I said, "the defense requests to examine this magic sti- sorcerer's rod."

"Denied." said the prosecutor.

"OBJECTION!" I shouted, "You're making it sound like you don't want everyone to find something that you've overlooked!"

"OBJECTION!" she shouted, "The 'thing's' fingerprints are on it!"

"OBJECTION!" I shouted, "I'm doing it anyway, because there is a contradiction!"

"I will allow the defense to examine it." said the judge.

Soon, it was in my hands and I noticed that something was wrong.

"So, where is this 'contradiction' that you speak of?" asked the prosecutor.

"There was one thing you overlooked… TAKE THIS!" I said as I threw the book at her.

"Ow! Why the fu-" she started.

"Look at the very first page," I said, "Our sorcerer's rod is straight… The real thing is FAR more crooked!"

"Da- what the hell is going on here!?" exclaimed the prosecutor, "Witness, explain yourself!"

"What should I say?" asked Dana.

"Why the heck did you give me a fake rod!?" exclaimed the prosecutor.

"'Cuz I found that on the scene." answered Dana.

"OBJECTION!" responded the prosecutor, "That is not-"

"HOLD IT!" I interrupted, "About the witness. She… is not lying."

"What are you talking about?" asked the prosecutor."

"She's not lying," I said, "She actually saw a sorcerer's rod."

"Prove it." demanded the prosecutor.

"Okay," I said, "take a look at the case summary. It says here in the fine print 'that thing' was seen with a large stick. Also, 'that thing's' fingerprints are on it!"

"Augh!" responded the prosecutor.

"Excuse me," said Dana, "I'd like to say something."

"We're listening." responded the mysterious woman across the room.

"Okay," said Dana, "When I saw that thing make a rock appear," I thought it had to have been sorcery. If the magic stick isn't real, then who else could have done it?"

"Ron," said Jon, "we must find the rock responsible for our victim's death."

"Prosecutor," I said, "the defense requests to see the very rock that killed the victim."

"Just what are you planning?" she asked.

"That very rock will solve this case!" I insisted, "All we have do is… check it for fingerprints. Whoever the prints belong to is the real killer."

"Bailiff," said the judge, "get forensics in here to check for prints."

Many minutes later, the forensics team had finished checking and my opponent prepared to read the results allowed.

"The results are here." said the woman.

"What are the results, prosecutor- er, oh, I think I might remember your name now!" said the judge.

"That's irrelevant." said the prosecutor.

"Just tell us the results, prosecutor Erica Courtney." said the judge.

"Hmm…" I said, "Prosecutor 'Ohcrap' would make more sense."

"…Courtney?" muttered Jon.

"The results are- crap!" she said, "The defense is right."

"I think it is time to put this trial to an end." said the judge, "'That thing' is not guilty and we'll have to find a new suspect later."

The judge then slammed down his gavel. They let Cameron go and we took off with him and the blue gem. Now, we just had to worry about finding a place to stay for the night. And Lilith. And her secret.

1