Chapter 72: Painful Departure
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Jean? Where'd you go?" I said, wandering the fifth floor.

I saw some golden armor by the elevator.

"Why would she leave her armor behind?" I muttered to myself.

I went to the elevator and opened it. I recalled that the elevator could only travel between the fifth floor and the lobby. However, I doubted that Jean would be back in the lobby. I looked at all the buttons.

"What could it… I think I have an idea." I said, "Let's see…one, zero… five… one…. fourteen, because 'J' is the tenth letter of the alphabet… and yes."

It did something. As soon as I finished entering Jean's name in numbers, I felt the elevator go up. Suddenly, it opened. It led outside. It led to the roof of the building.

"Jean?" I said.

"What do you want, Ron?" she asked.

"Why did you do what you did?" I asked, "You're the one who shot Jeff, aren't you?"

"I… I don't know what came over me." answered Jean.

"Don't say that." I said, "What you did was helpful."

"I don't care what you think about it." replied Jean.

"You don't need to be so hard on yourself." I responded.

Jean sighed.

"You know, we met each other earlier than you think." said Jean.

"Um, yes," I said, "I remember fighting Miles in Dovacath after that one trial."

"No." she responded.

"Huh?"

"Earlier than that."

"I don't understand."

"About twelve years ago, I didn't really have any friends. You were one of the only people that actually talked to me."

"…!"

"I know you didn't say much then, and that you probably preferred to be with that other girl."

"Who are you talking about?"

"The one that you 'married' ten times, Ron."

"Oh, right. Wow, I had a really interesting childhood."

"Only you were kind to me then and now I've repaid you for your kindness by betraying you!"

"I-It's okay."

"No, it's not!"

"Please… at least, calm down."

"Ron, I don't care if you forgive me, but I'll never-"

"I can tell you don't forgive yourself. We've both been through a lot- we all make mistakes. Not one person from any dimension is perfect."

"You're probably wondering how to restore the dimensions my father destroyed…"

"Yes."

"All the information is in that book… which I assume you took from him?"

"Thanks."

"It's the least I could do after all you've done. Things got worse after I moved… I honestly didn't think I would ever see you again. Everybody picked on me and I didn't really have any friends. Even if at times, I wanted to kill these people, what I've done is unforgivable."

"Wait… what are you implying?"

"Thanks for everything." answered Jean, drawing her sword, "But I must go now."

"Wait… you had your sword!?" I exclaimed, "Please don't kill yourself!"

"My father and I both belong in hell." replied Jean, preparing to stab herself with the sword.

"Don't!" I said, jumping at her.

The two of us fell to the ground.

"Why'd you stop me?" she asked, angrily, "I've done so much wrong, I don't deserve to exist!"

"Don't talk about yourself like that. I… I can't let you kill yourself!"

"Just let me. Use that stupid book to fix the worlds and get your friends back! Just don't worry about me!"

"Jean, I can't just not worry about you." I said, "You may have done something wrong but that doesn't mean you deserve to die!"

"Ron, why are you doing this?" asked Jean.

"Because I care about you." I answered, "You're not worthless… Quit trying to believe otherwise!"

"Um… why?"

"Don't waste your time asking 'why' over and over again. It's not gonna do anything."

I got myself up off the ground and dusted myself off.

"You don't have to be evil," I said, "you can just try to change, which is honestly, the better option. I'm aware of what you've done, but I don't want you dying on me!"

"Just… shut up!" responded Jean, as she swung her sword at me.

The sword kept coming at me, so I drew one of my cat-swords. Then, my sword met hers. The two kept clashing.

"I don't want you to stop me!" said Jean.

"You can't even stop me!" I said, giving her a shove.

Jean fell to the ground, but quickly got up and ran at me. I charged at her as well. My cat-sword struck at her golden sword and it felt like I was pushing a ton of weight and began to feel tired.

I tried to hide my lack of strength, but it showed. Sweat dripped down my face as I fell to the ground with my sword. Jean walked over to me, and then I kicked her sword out of her hand. Unfortunately, she ended up grabbing MY sword and swung it at me. I got up as quickly as I could, almost getting hit.

I slowly backed away as Jean came toward me. Then I drew another cat-sword. Our swords kept clashing into each other as I backed away. Then, suddenly, the ground below me a felt a little…light. Then it dawned on me: there was nothing below my feet!

I fell quickly and dropped my sword. Luckily, I grabbed onto the edge of the room. I tried pulling myself up, but I couldn't. I just felt too heavy. The next thing I knew, I saw Jean standing near my hands.

"This is it, Ron." she said.

"No!" I responded, "Don't do this, dammit!"

"It's too late." responded Jean, stepping on my fingers.

"Mmmmf!!" I responded.

I felt the pressure applied to my fingers get even stronger. I bit my lip, trying to keep myself silent.

"It's over." said Jean, "Goodbye."

And with that, she kicked my left and then my right hand, causing both to slip off the edge. I felt myself falling rapidly into the abyss below me. As I continued to fall, I thought about everything that had happened previously: from twelve years ago to my appearance in Dovacath all the way up to this point. Had I failed?

No. I had the book. However, there was one more thing that I needed to do. I created a cat-themed grappling hook and shot upwards. The speed was extremely high. Within a few seconds, I made it to the roof. Unfortunately, I was met with disappointment.

Jean had done what I tried my hardest to prevent. She killed herself. Her body was on the ground, barely any blood dripping out with the golden sword acting like a plug. I got down on my knees, dropping the grappling hook. I put my hands on my legs and looked at the dead body.

"Goddammit, Jean." I said, as my eyes began to water a little.

She was gone. I could bring everyone else back with the book, but I had the feeling that somehow I would not be able to get HER back. Our quest was over, but I stayed there on my knees for an hour, remembering all of my crazy adventures with my friends.

0