Chapter 77: A Foreign Country
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m here.” I said to myself as I slowly stepped into the strange foreign country.

I’m not quite certain why they wanted me here, but I figured it would be nice to see them again. A lot had happened since we last met. I know that Jon and Lilith have gotten married and now they’ve requested that I come to this country in their home dimension.

It’s called the Kingdom of Mihr'hai, and honestly, I wonder just who the hell comes up with these names. Although, it’s not like I could come up with anything better. From what I know, mediums come here to finish up their training which I’m assuming is why Lilith is here. It doesn’t take me long to be approached by a couple of familiar faces.

Lucas? Cerise?” I said.

Hi.” he responded.

Yo.” replied Cerise.

So your sister is completing her training?” I say, hoping to start a conversation.

“Yeah,” he said, “but what’s up with you?”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well, there’s that scar on your right arm,” answered Lucas, “and then there’s your hair.”

“So what if my hair is different?” I said, sounding a little bit rude.

“It’s fine,” said Lucas, “but I do want to know about your scar.”

“Ah, that's right!” said Cerise, “I never told anyone about that.”

“So, what happened?” asked Lucas.

“That's all up to Ron.” she said.

“Well?” said Lucas.

“I don’t-” I started.

“A quest traumatize you?” asked Lucas.

“No, I actually haven’t been on one since the last time we were all together.” I replied.

“Oh.” said Lucas.

“I-” I started.

“So, how’d you get it?” asked Lucas.

“It’s stupid.” I replied.

“Yes, very stupid.” commented Cerise.

“You can shut up.” I replied.

“Just tell me.” requested Lucas.

“Fine.” I said, “That scar is from surgery.”

“What did you do?” asked Lucas.

“I broke my arm.” I answered.

“How?” asked Lucas.

“I ran into a wall.” I answered.

“…Oh.” he said.

“I’m never playing handball ever again.” I added.

“God, you're pathetic.” commented Cerise.

“Didn't I tell you to shut up?” I said.

“Why were you playing that?” asked Lucas.

“I was in P.E.” I answered.

“I see.” said Lucas.

“Now that I think about it,” I said, “Cerise, where's your apprentice?”

“She kinda just took off,” answered Cerise, “she told me she wants to do her own thing.”

“Why?” said Lucas.

“I don't know.” responded Cerise, “She just said that she 'felt like it'. I swear that girl is an odd one.”

“That's funny coming from you.” commented Lucas.

“Hey! What's that supposed to mean!?” she exclaimed.

“A-anyways, that’s enough about that!” I said, “So, why are you two here?”

“I came here to see Lilith and then I found out that you were coming.” said Lucas.

“I'm kinda here for the same reason,” added Cerise, “however, at the same time I'm supposed to be looking for something.”

“So something's going on here?” I said.

“It seems that way.” answered Cerise.
“Okay. So this country…” I started.

“It’s where our medium powers originate from, which is why we come here to complete our training, and-” said Lucas.

Our conversation is cut short as we’re surrounded by men in blue suits. A few even pulled out guns!

“Oh, what now!?” exclaimed Cerise.

“Um… Lucas?” I asked, “What did you do!?”

“I didn’t do anything!” exclaimed Lucas.

“I didn't do anything either!” yelled Cerise, reaching for a knife in his pocket.

“Silen-!” one of the men started, but was interrupted by another man from his group.

“You three!” he said, “What are the odds? …Actually, it isn't really that weird to see Cerise or Lucas.”

“Charles!?” I responded, “Um… why are you here?”

“I got transferred.” he answered.

“So, what's going on here?” asked Cerise.

“They needed more staff over here.” answered Charles.

“No, not you!” exclaimed Lucas, “Why are we surrounded by you and your men!?”

“Oh, that.” responded Charles.

“We have a witness who saw you do it, Lucas.” answered one of the men.

“Who was it? I want to talk to-” I started.

“Perhaps if he’s channeled during the trial.” the man said.

“Wait, the witness is DEAD!?” I exclaimed.

“Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about Mihr'hai’s legal system.” said Lucas.

“Unfortunately, Lucas.” said Charles, “We need to take you to court right away.”

Lucas sighed as the men took him away.

“Lucas!” I said, “I’ll be sure to watch your trial.”

“Do your best, kid.” said Cerise, walking off.

“I'm not a kid, but yeah, I'll try!” I exclaimed.

They just kept walking off into the distance. I didn’t get a response from Lucas so they must have been out of earshot. It didn’t take much longer to realize that I should follow them. Well, I lost track and got a little lost on the way, but at least I made it. I went into the courthouse, and kept checking courtrooms until I saw Lucas. He was at the witness stand and the bald, white-bearded judged with red eyes banged his gavel on this desk.

“The information provided is clear.” he said.

“B-but I didn’t do it!” exclaimed Lucas.

I scanned the room, noticing the defense bench was empty. I also noticed how the walls were orange and purple and a few sections were brown. And the guy at the prosecutor’s bench was wearing a crown. He also looked kinda familiar for some reason.

“This court finds the defendant G-” started the judge.

Before I knew it, I had positioned myself to the defense bench and shouted “OBJECTION!”

0