Chapter 79: The Investigation Begins
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Holy crap, that was intense.” commented Lucas, “Sorry this had to happen, Ron.”

I was in the defendant lobby with Lucas and Iris. The room had orange walls, with yellow symbols here and there and a light grey floor.

“I don’t think either of us were expecting that.” I said, scratching the back of my neck with my right arm, “so I guess it’s okay, even if we both almost died too.”

“Good work, kid.” said a familiar voice as someone pat me on the back.

“You were watching?” I said, turning to face Cerise.

“Heh,” she said “I would have stepped in if things got too chaotic.”

“By the way, Ron.” asked Iris, “What’s with that scar on your right arm?”

“It’s just a sports injury.” I answered.

“You play sports?” asked Iris.

“Not really.” I responded.

“And what’s with your hair?” she asked.

“Felt like it.” I said, “Now before I forget, why are YOU here?”

“Well, I’m here with Charles.” she answered.

“Are you upset about what he had been hiding from you?” I asked.

“A little.” she answered, “But I can forgive him. He’s already been through enough.”

“Well, that’s good to hear.” I said, “But what about your mother?”

“She died in a car accident last spring.” answered Iris, “So I’ve been living with Charles… my dad.”

“Don’t you just love plot convenience?” I thought, sarcastically.

“Are you doing okay?” asked Lucas.

“Yes, I’m fine.” answered Iris, “I’m just still getting used to everything.”

“Alright.” said Cerise, “I think we've had enough of this atmosphere. Why don't you head outside?”

“Sure.” said Iris.

“What about you?” I asked.

“I still got my investigation,” she said, “don't worry about me.”

With that, she took off.

“Well, let's go.”

“Don’t forget about Lilith and Jon!” said Lucas.

“I won’t.” I responded.

I walked out of the lobby, into the hall, with Lucas and Iris following me. As soon as we were outside, I spoke up.

“Thanks for saving us, Iris.” I said.

“Don’t worry about it.” she replied, “I needed a way to pay you back for pretty much doing nothing last time.”

“Oh, that’s right.” said Lucas, “You and Charles didn’t have any powers.”

“At least HE had a weapon.” said Iris.

“It’s all right. Don’t worry about it.” I said.

“Now,” said Lucas, “Shall we head out?”

“Let’s go.” I said.

The three of us began walking through town and Lucas went on about what his sister’s wedding was like.

“…and that’s how I got pranked at their wedding!” said Lucas, finishing up his story.

“Interesting.” I said.

“Do you ever plan on getting married?” asked Lucas.

“I’m not really certain,” I answered, “but if I do, the wedding better be full of memes!”

“Heh.” responded Lucas, “What about you, Iris?”

“I’m not really worried about it right now.” answered Iris, “How about you?”

“Lilith says there’s someone out there for everyone,” answered Lucas, “so I’ll remain optimistic for now.”

“I don’t really want to think much of my own future,” I said, “it’s not looking bright no matter what.”

“Ron… don’t say that!” exclaimed Iris.

“You’re right… I shouldn’t get you two worried.” I said. We continued to walk to a familiar figure caught my eye.

“Is that-!?” I exclaimed, “No! It can’t be-!”

I froze, uncertain of what to do next, and before I knew it, I was chasing after this person, who started running as soon as they knew I was behind them. Lucas and Iris followed behind me.

“Ron! What are you doing!?” exclaimed Iris.

“I have to check!” I exclaimed, “There’s no way… but I just don’t know!”

“Ron, don’t you think chasing after her might be a bad idea!?” exclaimed Lucas.

“Well, she’s not screaming or anything, so I think we’re good.” I responded.

As we kept running, we got closer and closer. Eventually, we just tripped, or rather, I tripped and fell on top of her.

“Ow!” she exclaimed.

“Ah!” I responded, “I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to do that!”

“Its… okay, I guess.” she said, rubbing the back of her head with her left hand as soon as she sat up.

“Hold on a minute… you’re-!” I said, as soon as I realized who she was.

“But you’re supposed to be dead!” I exclaimed.

“Ron, that was rude of you.” responded Iris.

“That’s not what I meant!” I exclaimed, “Jean, why- how are you even here!?”

“Wait… what!?” exclaimed Lucas.

“Alright, fine. You caught me!” she said.

“How is this even possible?” I asked, “You killed yourself!”

“Perhaps it would have been better if I had waited for you to use that book.” she said, “Because Dimension F isn’t the one I was originally from, I awoke here.”

“You’re from THIS dimension?” I asked.

“You’re surprised?” responded Jean.

“Oh, right.” I said.

It was at that moment that I remembered that Lucas and Jean are cousins.

“Since I didn’t truly die, I just went into hiding,” she said, “since I didn’t want to kill myself again. I hurt all of you so much and didn’t want to see you again.”

“Do you even know how much it hurt to make it back to the top of that building only to see that you had killed yourself?” I asked, “That hurt even more than any of the stuff you did before that.”

“I’m sorry.” was all she could say.

“Jean, promise me you’ll never do anything like that again.” I said, “After everything you reminded me of, I didn’t want to lose you again.”

“Again?” asked Lucas.

“I promise I won’t do anything like that again.” she said, looking down at the ground.

“Good.” I said.

“That’s not the only reason I’m here, by the way.” continued Jean.

“…That’s right!” I responded, “If you’re here, then it’s possible that Jeff’s here too!”

“This could be bad.” said Lucas, “We don’t know what he’s up to- what he could be planning!”

“It’s not just him.” said Jean.

“What is it?” I asked.

“My mother lives here.” answered Jean, “This place is very special to her.”

“Alright, we’ll help you.” I said.

“We will?” asked Lucas.

“Yes.” I said.

“Hold on.” said Iris, “How do you two know each other?”

“I guess we might as well tell you.” I said.

And so, I threw my mind back many years, so I could tell them about what once existed.

0