Chapter 2
106 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“And how would I know that?” I asked; I was right. I didn’t particularly appreciate where this conversation was going. “It’s not like every Royal knows each.” Me,  especially,  I was pretty much an outcast as soon as I was born.

“How many Royals are alive today?” Raven was fishing. “Elven, hell, the Fae, in general, have long lives with low birth rates. And the Royals are right up there.”

I took a sip of my tea. “Your point?” It wasn’t like Raven couldn’t relate. Witches had pretty long lives themselves.

Raven laughed bitterly. “Who’s being evasive now?” I gave Raven a look; I wasn’t evasive. I wouldn’t say I like talking about the past, that’s all. She, of all people, knows this. “Fine, there can’t be more than a thousand Royals in existence, right?”

Less than that, I wanted to say, but I kept silent. Even as an Exiled, I didn’t want to sprout out what little secrets I know.

“So you must know at least one of these men?” Raven continued talking. “Come look at the picture? That’s all I’m asking.”

“Fine,” I reluctantly agreed, taking a closer look. “Looks like these four are lower Royal, not surprising.”

“Lower Royals?” Raven asked.

“Just means lower rank.” In a broad sense, sure. Then pointing to the last two, hesitating over one of them before moving on. “These two, however, are of higher rank. You can tell by how bright their hair is, compared to the others.”

Similar to my own. However, my hair was a lot brighter.

“They have more Mana?”

“More Mana.” I agreed. Not just Elves but every Fae shows our power through our hair and eyes.

Having a lot of Mana was something the Royals valued over anything else. However, it hadn’t done me any favours. As soon as I turn twenty-one, I was forced to live here.

Am I bitter, no not at all. Lying through my teeth.

“And?” Raven prompt.

“Some of them look familiar, but I don’t know them well,” I answered as invasive as possible, looking away.

“Hmm,” Raven looked like she wasn’t convinced. “Still terrible at lying, I see?”

“Fine, I may know this guy.” I tapped my fingers on the guy with a lot of pink in his hair. “I believe he’s a cousin of mine.”

“Then…”

“I remember that he used to throw rocks at my head,” I said in a very matter-of-fact manner. “Although his name escapes me.”

As soon as I saw the look of pity on Raven’s face, I deeply regret saying anything at all.

“Kera…” Raven reached out to take back.

 I instinctively pulled my hand back. “I thought we’re not doing that anymore,” I stated.

 The look of pity turned into hurt. I don’t know if that was any better. I’d upset Raven again.

“Right,” Raven concurred,

“If that’s all you want to talk about.” I got up to leave.

“Wait! I said I had a task for you.” Raven pleaded when I ignored her. “You won’t get paid.” That stopped my feet, seeing Renee’s angry flashed in my mind when I yet again hadn’t brought any money back. She’ll probably sell off my books. “Sit back down. We’re not done yet.” I sat down.

“What else do you want?” I asked because this whole meeting seemed to be one big waste of time.

“I want you to find out what they’re doing here.” Raven requested. “Unofficially, of course.”

“Why? It’s obvious why they’re here. They want to live it up without any responsibilities.” I rolled my eyes. “Isn’t that what rich young idiots do here?”

“Hopefully, it’s just that, but…” Raven bit her lip, conflicted.

 “What’s wrong?” I was a little worried. It looks like she was hiding something.

“I don’t really know. I got a message from Harris. He said they need to be investigated.” Raven stated, avoiding eye contact. She continued,  “and something about a stampede of Multi-coloured horses.”

Ah, that explains why she was so evasive. Harris was Raven’s mentor. He was the one who recruited her in the Coven, and Raven owed him a lot. He’s also one of the most powerful psychics alive. Well, if you don’t count any of the Fae, and usually people on Raven’s side of the fence don’t. Still, he wasn’t someone that little old me should cross.

“Still, Multi-coloured, huh?” I glanced at the reflection. My hair held more dark purples and reds than any other colours, with blue a close third. “I quality as well.”

“It would, but he said horses, meaning more than one,” Raven explained. “You’re more of the lone wolf type.”

A cast-off more like it. “So, why me?” I asked.

“I need someone I could trust, and we may have our problems, but you know…um…” Raven rattled on.

“I’ll look into it.” I  huffed out.

Raven looked bewildered. “Really? I thought…”

“Come on. I can be reasonable once in a while.”  Raven gave her a look of disbelief. “Fine, Renee would sell off my book collection if I don’t contribute to the finances.”

Instantly I knew it was a mistake mentioning Renee’s name as the air around her began to chill. For some reason, Raven doesn’t like Renee; I don’t know why, maybe because Renee was the one who saved me, while Raven could do nothing.

I shook my head in denial. That couldn’t be it; Raven made her choice to side with the Coven a long time ago.

If I didn’t know any better, Raven was acting like a jealous girlfriend.  Though we’re not a couple anymore, and what does that have to do with Renee? Ah, feelings are so confusing.

“Renee, how is the little shut-in,” Raven said in a spiteful manner.

 I protested, “Raven…”

Raven raised her hand in defeat. “Okey, okay, it’s none of my business.” Her phone started to ring. “Give me a minute. I need to take this call.” She left the table, “Yes, Yes, I’m, wait! No…”

I eyed Scarlett as they both sat in silence. He was staring at Raven’s back until she disappeared outside.

I really want to leave; this is so awkward.

“Now, Kera, I hope that you brought it with you this time?” Scarlett asked the scar above his eyes glowed threadedly.

I leaned forward. “Ah, you’re still playing the Coven’s lapdog behind Raven’s back. Such a good boy you are.”

His back fur stood up, showing his teeth in warning. “Watch it, long ears, or I’ll bite you.”’

“You know I’ll bite back,” I raved back. Scarlett was a battle dog; he could easily tear out my throat then and there. Still, I wasn’t going to back down. It shows how much of an idiot I could be.

“Stop playing and give it to me already,”  Scarlett sniped.

“Fine,” I pulled out a glowing rock, filled to the brim with my own Mana, and gave it to Scarlett. “Here’s your Mana orb filled up to the brim. I hope the Coven chokes on it.”

He just huffed before mouthing it and putting it in the satchel. “Ha, you’re the one who agreed. Don’t you want the Coven’s protection?”

I slumped and conceded. “I really don’t have a choice.”

“Hmph, like you have any choice at all,” The Doberman snorted.

Although his tone was patronizing, he was right. Even though the Coven used me as a magical battery in the past. I learned quickly there were the worst things out there for an Exile like me. It doesn’t mean that I am going to happy about it.

Besides, at least I have my Mana to trade. Witches, like Raven, couldn’t naturally generate Mana like the Fae. They have to use outside sources, like from nature and my Mana. It wasn’t an ideal situation, but at least I’m not strapped down like a prisoner.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to stroll into their office any time soon.

“I really don’t know why you’re doing this behind Raven’s back,” I wondered.

He turned his head to the side. “Like I’m going to tell you,” he sneered out., showing teeth. “All you need to do is supply the Coven with Mana orbs, so don’t be late. next time.”

“Yeah, yeah. Boss dog,” I mocked with a salute.

“All done.” Raven rejoined them. “I’ve got you a sandwich, grilled ham and cheese, right?” She placed a bag right of me.  

“I don’t need to eat,”  I mumbled; a little embarrassed, I wrapped my hands around the packaging. It was warm.

“Humour me, okay. I know how you get, probably didn’t eat anything today either,” Raven scolded, but her tone was light. “Anyways, what were you guys talking about?”

Scarlett just gave me a long stare that said, ‘you better not tell.’

“Nothing.” I evaded the question.

When Raven just narrowed her eyes in suspicion, Scarlett was the one who spoke up. “We need to leave soon. You have a meeting at one.”

Raven looked at her phone. “Oh, you’re right.” She gathered her things. “I have to cut this short, so half now, half later?” Raven asked.

“Yes.” I swallowed, “That’s fine.”

“Good, I’ll contact you in a couple of days.” Raven rushed to the door, with Scarlett on her heels, then she stopped and turned back to my table. She stared deeply into my eyes. “Be careful, okay?”

“I will,” I whispered, then she was gone.

I was walking down the street when I stopped as a revelation hit me. To find out what these guys are up to, I have to go nightclub hopping, don’t I?”

I groaned out, holding my head in despair.

The noise, the awful smells, the overly familiar touching. Oh, this is going to be hellfire.

             

5