Chapter 8
87 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi. Enjoy the chapter.

“What are you doing in the Edge?” A smirk forming on Raven’s lips. “Slumming it?”

. “You should know about slumming.” Mathius reached and flicked a misplaced hair.  Raven flinched away. Mathius seemed to be amused at her reaction. “Right? Orphan girl.”

Needless to say, Raven was seething. “You… you.”

“And you let your pet wander in my territory.” He tsched. “And you think I wouldn’t bite,,” Shaking his head in mock disappointment. “Oh, Raven, I thought you knew me better than that.”

Raven's dark eyes turned pitch black as the light sky turned dark and lightning. “Maybe you should mind your own business. Wasn’t there a murder at your club? Maybe you should concentrate on that?”

“You Raven, don’t you know how to control yourself by now.” His green eyes turned amber. “And if you not careful, I might take that pretty little toy of yours.” Mathius stood closer and whispered. “Right from underneath your nose.”

“Ha,” Nee whispered, fascinated.  Looking back and forth like she was watching a drama.“They’re talking about you, but why does it feel like they’re not really talking about you. You know.”

I just rolled my eyes. Too tired to really care. “Yeah, even I got that.” Did I mind that they were indicating that I was just an object? No, not really; I been called worse. All I wanted right now was sleep. “Raven, are you here to pick me up, or you're just going to keep on arguing.”

Mathius stared for a moment, then burst out laughing. “Kera, you're wasted on….”

“Save it, I really don’t care.” I was may past my limit, and I didn't want to deal with Mathius and his antics anymore than I need to. So I brushed past him and took Raven’s arm. “We’re leaving.” And heading toward the door.

Nee flew off my shoulder and waved and gave Mathius the stink eye before following after me.

As I was about to climb in, a reddish-black shadow growling in the back seat. “Oh, it’s you.” Addressing the big Doberman.

“Raven, why? You should have left the long ears behind bars.” Scarlett sniped, then he sniffed. “Why do I smell fairy dust… oh no!”

“Furball!” Nee zoomed and landed on his head. “I’ve missed you!”

“Get off, you little….” He tried to shake her off, “I’ll bite you.”

Nee held on to his ears like she was on a roller coaster. “Wheee.”

“Stop it, you too.” Raven scolded as she got in the driver’s seat. “Not in the car.”

Nee piped up. “Then if we’re not in the car….”

“Nee.” I interrupted. “Not now.”

“Fine.” Nee let go of Scarlet’s ears and flew back on my shoulder.

Scarlet made a huffing sound before turning and settling in for a nap.

Raven was just sitting there, giving Nee a sideways look. Noticing this, I asked. “Is everything all right?

“Yes, yes. Everything’s fine. Wonderful, really.” Laughing a little, then she started her car and began to drive.“But, Kera, when I found out about what happened, I… and your arm ….”

“Why.” I interrupted.

“Why?” Raven repeated. “Is this because of Mathius? Look what happened back there has nothing to do with….”

“No,  not that. I don’t care about that.” I waved my good hand in dismissal. “I allowed money to blind me for a bit, but why me? Why did you hire me of all people to follow those Royal frat boys? You should have known that I was ill-suited to the roll, right? There must have been someone, anyone more qualified.”

“Kera…”

“I thought it was because the group loved down to the Edge, or you heard that they were at Mathias's club, and it was obvious the two of you don’t get along. But Raven, you didn’t tell me any of that stuff. You just send me on a wild goose chase.” I rushed out, heatedly

“You have a knack for finding out stuff. I was counting on that.”

“If just that….” I was in disbelief. Although finding things was technically true. That’s how I happen to discover Mrs. Towers’s mana bomb, but still…  “All I found was a dead body!”

“I know.” Raven sighed. “I’m so sorry.”

Raven’s saying sorry? That’s not like her. 

“Also, Det. Towers said that the Royal Elven arrival was well known, but you said they came here illegally. Do  you have anything else to say about all this?” I asked.

Raven stayed silent, but her hands turned ashy as her grip tightened on the steering wheel.

“That what I thought.” I sighed, resigned. “So I ask again why we?”

“Because there’s no one else,” she whispered. “And despite everything, I trust you.”

My ears twitched in confusion, wondering if I misheard. “What did you say.”

Raven turned and plastered on a big smile. “Nevermind. Maybe it’s for the best that we’ll forget this ever happened? The job! Everything” I wanted to say something but… “Of course, you can still keep the money for all the pain and suffering you went through.” Stopping the car. “Is this it?”

Looking around seeing the familiar surroundings. “Um, yes, this is fine.” I nudged Nee, who was sleeping on my shoulder. “Nee, wake up.”

“Mmm,” Nee replied.

“We’re almost home,” I stated.

Nee perked up and flew off my shoulder.“Really!”

Leaving the car, I opened my mouth to say ‘goodbye,’ but Raven had over ideas. "I'll check on you later," she informed me, then Raven practically left a trail of burn marks on the road as she sped away.

“What the…” I mumbled. “I was going to quit too.” Addressing Nee. “What’s her deal anyway? She wasn’t acting like her usual self.”

Raven was one of the most confident women that I have ever met. She was so sure of herself and her place in the world that she seemed to wear it like a shield. Although Raven has a sweet and caring side, usually reserved for those Raven cared about. And she also has her insecurities, but how she was acting was like…

Shaking my head in denial. “No, maybe I’m reading too much into it.”

 Nee yawned. “No, I think you’re on the right track for once.”

“For once?”

“You’ll have to admit that your not that great when it comes to empathy, “ Nee seemed mildly impressed or sarcastic. Knowing her probably both.

“I’ve seen that look before,” I whispered. I was broken at the time. I didn’t know what it was, but I knew that I didn’t want to see that look on Raven’s face again.

That worked out just great. Didn’t it.

“Maybe she’s going to dump your ass,” Nee suggested. “Oh, wait! That already happened.”

I protested. “hay, I was the one who dumped her!”

“Right!” Nee dwelled. “In any case, we can’t really do anything unless she asked for help.” She yawned again. “Can we go? Renee is worried. The sun’s up already, too.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I took out a Charm. “So which way?” Moving the Charm around to find the sweet spot. “Down this street then.”

Because of Renee’s illusion magic, trying to find Home was a trial and a half, to say the least. Thank the Goddess for this finder’s charm, which had some of Renee’s Mana.

Yet, another being with Renee’s Mana grown out.“If only I can help, but I’m pretty much wiped.” She dramatically fell onto my head, then flopped down to my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes at the little fairy’s antics...

“One thing we know for sure, Raven still has feelings for you,” Nee added. “The way she looked at me. Oh, the jealousy….” She trailed off.

“Jealousy?” I asked, confused.

Nee patted my cheek. “Oh, Kera, so much progress too.”

***

When they finally got through, front door, it was needless to say that they were way past exhausted hours ago. “I just want to sleep,” I whispered.

Nee hummed in agreement.

But then something borrowed down on me, holding me tight. Panicking, I tried to break free, but its grip only tightened. There was no escape.

3