Chapter 8: Leaving
576 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

#Unedited

 

The next morning, I woke up early and went on my way to the west side of the building we were staying at. The west side are pseudo offices for the various officials above Viscount rank, sort of like a preparation room before going to morning court. Although I was a bit lost at first amidst the never ending winding corridors, I was still able to find my way to my destination after receiving directions from a maid who reluctantly told me the way. I had to ask many many maids just to be able to get here that I feel tired already.

And so, here I am standing in front of a silver-framed wooden door on which various engravings were present at the edges. From the first few vines like patterns, I can tell that a magic for fortifying the toughness, fire resistance, and even safety measures like lock magic were casted on the seemingly luxurious door. Although, I said luxurious, these types of engravings are still quite common in Esteral especially in the aristocratic circle where you can find them on almost any slightly important room. Because it is not that hard to get them engraved as even your average first star magician can do that but only those with sufficient alchemy knowledge can bring these engravings to their greatest potential. For example, there exists a series of professions evolved from alchemists including enchanter, potion master, magic smiths, and so on. I felt slightly proud of myself for choosing to learn alchemy and being able to recognize such engravings albeit some on the door are still too complex for me to understand. Well, it’s as expected, it is the room of the person in the position just a tad bit lower than royalty afterall. Being reminded again about the person I'm about to face makes me feel like butterflies are moving around in my stomach and I nervously fix my scarf in place for the Nth time.

*sigh* Toughen up Serika! This step is what you decided on! No matter what, you can’t just back down now!
Yosh, let’s bring it on!
Steeling myself yet again, I knocked on the door, and pushed it open after confirming the permission from the room.

“Excuse me.”
“Hmm? This is a surprise, you are the person I least expected to come see me.” The person who had been dealing with the mountain of documents on the table lifted his head and uttered in surprise.

“Well, well, if memory serves me right, you are Kurozawa Serika, correct?” The person with lavender colored hair and cream colored eyes adjusted his glasses and put down the feathered pen he’d been using to write.

“Yes, sir. That is my name.”
“I can more or less guess the reason you have come to see me, the prime minister, but first thing first, do sit down, and would you like some tea?” The prime minister said as he put his hands together on the table and gave a look to his aide to signal him to make tea.

That is correct, the person I came to see was no one else but the prime minister of Esteral and Prisella’s father, the Duke of Mcgarden, Cross Mcgarden.

“I’d love to but I would like to finish what I came for as soon as possible, so I’ll be humbly declining your offer.” With the minimal courtesy I learned during these few weeks, I refused his offer for tea with my guards up at 150% more than normal. Heck, there’s no way I’d be able to be all friendly with a person so excellent in politics that he’s able to securely sit on the prime minister position for so long, and I’d laugh my ass off if anyone told me he doesn’t have a hand in the things that happened yesterday. He ‘is’ Prisella’s father, and the prime minister after all.

“As you please. Vincent, I want green tea.” Then he gave his aide a meaningful look to which it was well understood as the aide, Vincent, nodded and quietly went out of the room.

“Now then, what business might Ms. Kurozawa have with me?” As he said that his prime minister aura naturally flooded out like a tide making me incomparably tense that my back unconsciously straightened.

“Then I won’t hold back anymore. Grant me three requests, and I will swallow what happened yesterday and will not bring it up again.” I bravely kept looking directly at his eyes without avoiding eye contact, showing how serious I am.

“Oh, I see. Let’s not waste time then. First things first, I admit what happened yesterday was within my authority and we are perfectly clear with what happened.” Just as I was planning to counter what he said, he continued.

“Nothing will likely change our conclusion over the case but as a person in position of power it's natural that I should at least hear you out, is this what you think?”
“Err, yes” I was pressured with his clear cut declarations that I stammered my answer out while my brain worked on how to continue.

“So, miss Kurosawa, what might those requests of yours be?” Those eyes showed his intentions clearly as if they were saying any unreasonable requests will be rejected immediately. Facing such pressure, I can feel myself turning calm. That’s right. This is what you should do. Only when you stay calm would your requests be granted, Serika.

“First, grant me permission to leave the castle. Second, give me the resources required to survive in the city.”

“Hmm, interesting requests, and the third?”

“The third, I will tell you after you agree.”. Perhaps it was due to my tendency to adapt quickly or my resolve to leave the current situation that by the end of my sentence, I can feel the nervousness fading gradually and I began to get serious while confronting the person before me.

“Pardon me, miss Serika, but are you sure of this? or if you are doing this purely out of impulse, then I suggest that you go back and train instead.”

“No, sir. I’m doing this not on impulse but for my future.” Perhaps he saw the seriousness in my eyes that he straightened his back and looked directly at my eyes.

“What if I do not agree to your requests? Actually, you don’t have any grounds at all to request anything of me, don’t you think? Do try to convince me despite the requests from you, the one suspected of assassinating royalties?” When Prisella said it, I felt nothing but anger, but when the prime minister says it, how come I feel so ridiculously ironic.

“*chuckles* suspect, is it? Simple. It is something that also benefits you, and is something you can’t refuse.”

“Hoo~ and why is that?”

“First, you and me clearly know that what happened was the dirty works of your daughter. I might not able to refute it now but you know I’m an otherworlder right? There are more than one ways that I can use from my own world which you’d have never imagined to clear my name. ‘If’ I decide to put my all into it, that is. Then once the truth comes out, what do you think my brother and Shelton will think of your daughter and the rest of Esteral who planned such a thing to frame me, their only family in this world? Would they still continue to be friendly and strive to save you or be angry enough to turn their backs on you?”

If you guys think I’m a soft persimmon then I’m sorry to disappoint you but I’m not. I know the cards in my hands fully, and the points about investigating was, of course, a complete lie. I know that these people will definitely clean up after themselves perfectly, and to dig into it is just too troublesome but they don’t know that. Just the trait of being an otherworlder has a degree of intimidation already, so why not use just that. As for Enri and Shelton, who cares about them right now when I have so much trouble protecting my own skin? There’s already no turning back.

“Can I take this as a threat?” By the end of his question, I can feel a deadly aura around him as he lowers his eyes. What a terrifying calmness, like father like daughter I guess.

“Of course not. I’m offering you a deal that is good for both sides. I’m sure you upper nobles see me as much of a nuisance as your daughter and the others do. A variable that is threatening enough that can turn the heroes against you with so much as a few phrases, am I not? You definitely cannot let that happen, so that’s why your best move is to slowly weaken my ties with the heroes so that one day you can finally throw away this useless chess piece without any consequences, isn’t that so?” A bit time consuming and round-about move, but definitely an effective one.

“Since it is so, then this request is like a pie falling from the sky for you. You don’t have to spend even a tiny bit of effort nor risk ruining your relationship with Shelton and Enri, and you can get me out of your sight.”

“Hence, my third request: keep my location and every move a secret from those two heroes you summoned.” By the end of my sentence, the person in front lifted his eyebrow as if surprised that I’d throw away my only insurance card of surviving in this world.

“I don’t care one bit what plans you have for them but I want out from all of it.
So that’s why your best choice is to agree to my requests. You can’t risk losing the support of the two heroes right now, can you?” With this, all of my cards are thrown into the game, all there’s left is to wait for the ‘okay’ then I’m set.

After receiving permission, a bag of coins and a short sword was given to me. The first was securely strapped to the belt on my waist while the later on my back. I strapped the sword so that it's tilted a little to the right so that I can easily reach it with my right hand. Then I once again check all my belongings. A leather belt hangs on my waist, and on it were a bag of coins, knives slots, and a small space bag hanging on the line of my right pelvis. The bag is the same one as ‘that’ kind of bag (where the space inside is a different dimension, those kinds of bags), and it stores miscellaneous stuffs like potions, alchemy ingredients, food and even my belongings of the previous world such as my phone, school bag, and uniform. This space bag wasn’t given to me by the prime minister (as if that stingy old fox would give away something this good), but by Shawn-san who told me it was a keepsake from his master, and giving it to me after he, at some point, recognized me as his student. I reached my hand again to stroke at the space bag feeling a little choked with emotions. I’m really sorry, Shawn-san. Don’t worry, I’ll find you no matter where you are or whether you are dead or alive, so that I can make it up to you for dragging you down.

Having finished checking all my equipment and luggage, I got out of my room and gave my thanks to Mr. Vincent who came with the bag of gold coins and info of where I can get out of the castle unnoticed as well as the fake ID I’ll be living as from now. Here is what is states:

Name: Rika Kursa Race: Human
Title: Minor noble Level: 06
Occupation: N/A Ability: Alchemy(Beginner)
Rank: N/A

‘Rika Kursa’ is it? Derived from my original name right? Well isn’t this pretty obvious?
That old fox sure did a lazy job.

“A pretty good name isn’t it? Considering only those descended from nobles have surnames, you are supposed to be a distant relative of a territory-less viscount Kursa, alright? Make sure you don’t blow your cover.” Mr. Vincent said that with a proud look that I somehow don’t know how to break it to him of what a lousy job he did at making it.

“Err, um, thanks.” *sighs* I’ll let someone else break his bubble.

“Another thing is that I have put the Rank and Occupation on privacy. You can change that if you just focus and chant ‘Change’ in your mind just like when you are checking your status.”

Oh, let’s try it out. ‘Change’

Name: Rika Kursa Race: Human
Title: Minor noble Level: 06
Occupation: Alchemist Ability: Alchemy(Beginner)
Rank: N/A

“Of course this is the case only for special IDs such as this one that comes with changeable information as anything but the name and race can be changed. Normal IDs can only be altered by specific agents stationed throughout the country after having shown proper evidence, so you should keep that in mind. Moreover, this is different from status which can measure the changes of a person’s ability directly, so it is recommended to update regularly especially if you plan to be an adventurer as it can contribute to your adventurer rank-ups.” Mr. Vincent explained patiently about the new ID to which I am very grateful for. Although the father-daughter pair was hateful, they have a good eye for subordinates, Mr. Vincent is an excellent person who is also very kind. 

“I understand. Thank you very much for your advice.”

“Now you just need to go through this side of the green house and there will be a small corridor with a small gate at the end. I’ve already moved the guards away. You have only 30 minutes before the next guards take over so good luck.” He finished and bowed towards me to which I bowed a bit in return as thanks.

“Well then I’ll be excusing myself.”
I started walking through the greenhouse while marveling at the various plants and flowers. While I was looking at them, I thought of the baka duo. Thought of how Enri always loved to compete, how he’d always stand in front of me and Shelton when we were kids, how we hugged and cried after the death of our parents, how he’d fawn over me all the time, and how Shelton used to be a cry baby when he was a kid, how we became friends, how he’d learn to stand in front of me instead of the other way around without me noticing, how he’d quietly moved next to our house again and again no matter what happened to me and Enri, and finally of how the three of us used to be so used to each others’ company.

Even as I thought of these things, I never stopped my steps. It’s not like we’d never meet again, right? However, for now, it is best that we don’t meet. Until, my death flag is resolved, I hope I won’t see them.

“Serika!” How funny. I thought I heard Enri’s voice just now. I guess I already started to miss-

“Wait up, Serika!!” Wait, that’s not my imagination. As I turned around while thinking that, I saw Enri’s anxious face running towards me.

“Just what are you doing?!” Finally caught up with me, Enri stopped about two steps away from me and angrily shouted.
“…” Looking at my brother’s angry face, I once again let out a sigh after going quiet for a moment thinking of what I should do so that I can get out of here as soon as possible.

“What, you say. It’s as you see. I’m leaving.”

“Leaving? Just where the h*ll are you going? To that d*mned Shawn guy?” Seeing me refuse to answer, Enri turned even more angry.

“Serika, that guy was just using you, he’s lying to you all this time! You mustn’t believe what he told you.”

“Prisella and them found all the evidence of his betrayal. It was just a moment of confusion that you did it right? The princess already forgave you.” By the end of his last sentence, I snapped.

“Tsk. I did it? Enri, you are the one who don’t know anything!”

“Since you don’t know anything then let me ask you. Will you believe if I said that I didn’t do it?” By the end of the sentence, I can see the confusion in Enri’s eyes and that gave me joy as well as…hope.

“As expected, you are angry right? About last night?” Just who am I kidding.

Fine, just let it go: “That’s enough already. I have already decided to leave, so the reason no longer matters.”

“Alright, Serika, I know it was my fault last night so-

“Stop it Enri, no matter what you say, I’m still leaving.”

“You decided, huh. I got it but as your brother, I can’t just let my sister go the wrong path without stopping her. You are my precious little sister so I never thought that I’d one day be forced to stop you from doing what you decided to do instead of supporting it. Please, Serika just turn back, I, we can’t lose you.” For a second, I was shaken, but I forcefully resisted it thinking of the future events. Only by leaving will I be able to survive, so that I can perhaps have a chance to see you guys again. I have no choice but to leave.

“Sorry, brother.” With that I reached for the sword on my back. Seeing my do that Enri slowly did the same with the swords on his waist but I can see determination in his eyes and perhaps… sadness. I feel very guilty that I almost can’t make myself look directly at his eyes. Although I tried to act cold on the surface but I’m still a normal girl who never lived independently from her family and one who loved her family deeply at that, I really feel bad for Enri.

Still, without a word I turned and dashed for the gate way outside of the castle prompting Enri to jump and stand between me and the exit. With this I have no choice but to fight him, huh.

*exhales*
The sound of me exhaling was still ringing in my ears when I moved my sword quickly for a strike towards his right wrist. As if expecting it he stopped my sword by flipping his sword at a weird angle. Seriously what a freakish reflex, but he’s still slower than me. Taking my sword back, I started to slash at different places to get a feel for his skills with the sword, and I can feel his strength overpowering me as well as his Aura which is the same devilish one at the day we were summoned. Making use of the rebound of his counter, I jumped back. Really, he’s strong, very strong especially his overpowering Aura. Just go to h*ll already f**king cheats.

Frustrated, I reached for my belt and took out a bottle and a pill, and put them in my mouth. Enri perhaps knowing that they were some kind of doping potions turned on the offensive and jumped at me. The strength of his strikes turns stronger and faster. Tsk, it still takes sometime for the pills to take effect, Serika, you have to endure.

“Serika, just give up. You know, you can’t beat me even with your potions. Just stay, and we’ll go through everything together. Just as before.”

“I’m sorry.” As soon as I felt the pill taking effect, I dropped the bottle I have been biting in my mouth.

*crash*
*flash*
After the bottle broke on the ground, a circular vine like patterns appeared on the ground and it flashed letting out a blue colored smoke. This was an alchemist encryption, which I set up by moving my legs in particular directions as I was attacking Enri. According to Shawn-san who taught me this: “Serika, you are still very weak, so this encryption that functions partly like a formation is for emergency use especially when you want to escape. The smoke has a sleep-inducing effect that will last about an hour, but only use it in emergency because it has a large area of effect and consumes a lot of mana. I do hope that you will not have to use this until you get stronger but this is a precaution for when anything happens.” Or so he said. I would never thought I had to use this so soon on Enri no less. Enri was probably thinking that I was drinking a strength or speed enhancing potion but actually I was only pretending to drink it but my real goal was the encryption on the ground, and I was only waiting for the antidote which were the pills I swallowed to take effect.

“Cough, cough, Shit. Serika, where are you?” Having found me amidst the smoke, I can hear him dropping the sword he was holding and walked towards me with wobbly steps. Seems like the smoke is showing its effect: “Cough, please…stay…with…me…Seri…” By the end of his sentence, he fell asleep and almost fell face first to the ground had I not been in front of him.

“Idiot brother, you are always so careless.” *sigh* I better get going when the smoke still have some effect and get as far away from here as possible.

“See you later, idiot brother.”

12