Vol. 1 CH. 4 – Haste…
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 1 CH. 4 - Haste...

 

Several days since the message was seen all around the campus, the students started to increase their levels as much as possible in order to save themselves.

 

All courses were divided into groups according to their work types. The ones that handle increasing the transportation usable before the monster floods handled the dissection of cars and building more large and sturdy vehicles.

The ones that handle the food and water were the storage teams and the cooking teams were the ones that dealt with increasing the food that can be eaten during a long travel.

 

The students that were using electronics as their main weapons were in charge of reconnaissance of the whole floor of the labyrinth. They sent drones around the place in order to increase the map data that would be needed to use for the travel.

 

The students that were able to create medicines in chemistry were left in charge of making potions and the like. Surgical items were nonexistent but with the ingredients found in this floor and after researching them, the students began to discover many things and recorded them on journals.

 

Several days was the only thing needed? Everyone wished to survive so everyone was in a hurry increasing their levels.

 

The expedition teams lead the low level students and staffs to a good monster spawn spots while the ones that were able to fight were in charge of doing patrol.

 

Everyone one of them came from an advance world so it was only obvious that they would do everything in order to survive. Modern weaponry maybe useless in this world but things like engines and modern machines were still usable.

 

Because of such opportunity, everyone took advantage of it and started making things just to increase the percentage of everyone's survivability.

 

Unlike Mark who was always alone searching for the next way to the next floor while increasing their level everyone here were always together; they fought monsters together, build and invent things together and eat together.

 

The ones that knows Mark was turning less and less as he his existence became insignificant. Even so, they haven't forgotten who saved them from the monsters.

 

But, just as many things advancing, problems start to appear as well. Conflict between students of opposite genders started to appear and the amount of men sleeping with their female classmates started to increase as well.

 

Almost everyone was starting to get tired and lean to different avenues. This was something that the adults wished to avoid however, with all the stress piling up every day, they were losing power to govern the students.

 

A leader must be enacted, were the wish of the students, however much of the adults stood in defiance of this so there became a rift between the adults and the students.

 

Because the students were starting to get to high levels and gaining more active skills, the adults were slowly losing power. They getting unable to control the urges of the youth and because of that, their existence were turning insignificant.

 

And so, a whole month and a half passed. Mark, who was out for a long time as he was searching for the next floor of the labyrinth, finally returned after a long trip with his university filled with tensed atmosphere.

 

"....."

 

The one place where he doubted to change was covered in different kinds of colors. The lobby that should have been used as medical ward was empty clattered with garbage bags filled with trash.

 

The courtyard filled with tents and students armed with weapons and armors. Parking lots with large remodeled cars that should store water and a couple of hundreds of students were around.

 

The buildings showed signs of age but most of them have recent cracks that seemed to have been rammed with something hard.

 

The adults were scarcely moving about but nothing has changed there. However, the girls were wearing skimpy outfits that were relatively banned in schools.

 

Girls wearing bikini armors wielding swords, daggers and axes; some even were just wearing loincloths and some were just wearing thin fabrics over their private parts.

 

It only has been half a month since he was gone but the major change in his university caused Mark to feel like he just went to another world.

 

"The hell just happened....?"

 

Mark questioned everything with a complicated expression.

 

Unlike Mark who wears light armor and clothes due to him relying on his speed, the ones here were wearing heavy armor. Most of them were high quality ones but still slight inferior to what Mark was wearing..

For some odd reason, Mark felt a strange sense he was being watched but didn't mind it. He continued until he reached his base, but the usual barred garage was gone what was left was a hideout of most ruffians wearing strange makeups.

By the way, most of the ones wearing makeups were men, which made it even cringier than ever.

 

"Who the hell are you guys....?"

 

"Hn? Oh!! It’s the Soloist!! I didn't think you're still alive!!"

 

One familiar looking guy came and greeted Mark. The full plated armor made it difficult for Mark to recognize the guy but it was definitely someone Mark knew. It was the guy that always bullies Mark when the occasion arises.

Lyon....

 

"Looks like you haven't drop dead yet?"

 

"What the hell.... What happened here!? What happened to all the preparations everyone was making?! How come no one is taking this serious anymore?!"

 

Mark yelled as she couldn't control his feelings anymore...

 

Before Mark left, the whole university was bustling with working students. Almost none of the students were lazing around. Things were done in haste and even though times were difficult, everyone was working hard.

 

But now, no one was working. Everyone was selfishly living their lives here as they want without minding the danger that was approaching them. Everyone was happily having sex and troubling so, they were doing it even on public.

 

Law and order have disappeared. There was nothing that could be said orderly around. It only felt that the world has truly ended.

 

"Huh? The hell are you on?"

 

Lyon thuggishly spouted.

 

"You've been gone for half a month, there's bound to be a change in rulers"

 

"Rulers?! What the heck, there was no ruler!! What's up with all this!! We only have less than half of the time we have before the monster flood happens!!"

 

"Hahaha, don't worry about it. Us high level players can deal with them. Monsters are easy on this floor"

 

"What....."

 

Mark was dumbstruck. The fact that everyone had begun to rely too much on their levels caused the stagnation of everyone's preparation. Even though normally everyone should be tensed with the whole three month mark nearing, they decided to stop and just relied on the fact they were already strong enough to defend themselves.

Mark couldn't say anything as the most idiotic person he knows became even more stupid than ever.

 

"Tsk. I'm done with this. I'm going to talk to the dean"

 

"Ah... I can't let you do that without paying toll"

 

Lyon stopped Mark from leaving by pressing a sword next to Mark's nape.

 

"Toll?"

 

"Yeah, about all your money and food supplies"

 

It was highway robbery. Mark wasn't so stupid to give out what he has to people that were selfish enough to cause something unneeded and stagnated the whole preparation for the next floor.

Mark sighed deeply. His thoughts about everyone here after revealing the [UL] app before have strengthened. The people around Mark were mere idiot who were only think of themselves.

 

"That much?"

 

"Well, you won't get to live if this world without supplies after all"

 

Lyon laughed disgustingly. He was extorting money to the guy he would always pick on whenever he find it amusing. Mark was just an easy prey. Now that he himself was strong, beating Mark one or two times would easy. Even if he was the first one to level up, he won't be able to level up that fast considering the difficulty of monster hunting.

 

Unlike in games, monsters spawns in groups here rather than individually, what’s more, the amount of monster in a group were something that only one person would beat.

 

In Mark's case, he was definitely running away since he goes solo during his expedition. There was no doubt that Mark's level was lower than he shows.

 

"<Assassin's Pride>"

 

*Zuwa....* Mark's figure waved and disappeared like some sort of mirage. Seeing such phenomenon, Lyon unconsciously stepped back. His sword waned and left his hand in a snap.

Until he felt a sharp metallic sensation next to his neck, where his artery was...

 

"I may be like this but don't underestimate me just because you used to treat me like shit back then"

 

"?!"

 

<Assassin's Pride> it was a passive skill that can only be used with one's Agility attribute value reaching over 200. It increase speed and lessen the presence of the user. What's more, its raise the accuracy during archery or dagger throwing; as an added effect, resistance to poison is raise to about 15%. It is a frightening skill that only Mark can use in this world.

 

Lyon fell silent and left unable to move. He truly underestimated Mark, who was the one that was living inside this world's laws...

 

"Tell this to everyone. Resume all preparations. I've found the place where the next floor could be headed.... I'll have you gather some people to check it out"

 

"......"

 

Lyon felt the shape tingling sensation of his goosebumps acting. Marl was serious and if wished to, killing someone like Lyon would be easy like taking candy from a baby. Mark's level was unknown and how he survives in the open for a long time was a mystery.

 

However, now was not the time for Lyon to act high and mighty; he immediately cast aside his pride and lowered his head to Mark. The blade was removed from Lyon's neck and with that; Lyon was freed from death's scythe's blade.

 

Lyon turned around and looked at Mark's expression. There, he saw the coldness and deathly glare of Mark's eyes. Mark was indeed not someone they could toy with.

Mark had grown strong indeed....

 

"Do your job Lyon. If not, more than half of the guys around us right now would have their heads stuck on spikes later"

 

Mark walked away after that. The message that could be seen as a bluff made Lyon sweat even more. His heart pounded dangerously as fear was almost taking over his heart.

 

That was because Mark was not bluffing. Lyon had set some of his men around in order to ambush guys that won't pay the toll fee to pass the halls that lead to the courtyard.

Since supplies indeed were scarce lately, things have been done forcefully. However, the guys those were hiding behind the walls, on the ceiling and under the stone seats had the skill <Presence Isolation> which naturally hides the presence of one to the point that they were like air to other people.

What's more, they were all high level ones. It should have been impossible for anyone to perceive those guys without any skill.

 

In Lyon's eyes, Mark had turned into something monstrous than he ever thought....

 

-

 

There was no one in the university now that was wearing ordinary uniforms. Almost everyone was clothed and armored. Mark was not bothered by that but the stares he was receiving was like he was a transfer student with a weird physical defect.

 

Everyone had their eyes set on Mark. The only guys that brings back large stocks of food and supplies to the Storage committee days ago, but still, Mark paid them no heed and continued walking until he reached the red building, with the large rusted letters "Administration building" on top of its tiled roof.

 

There, Mark saw Clara McLaren with Cornelia, whom Mark hasn't met for a long time, talking to each other with grave expressions.

 

"Hey you two, care to explain what happened with the plan?"

 

"Mark...."

 

"Mark?! You're still alive?!"

 

It seems that everyone presumed that Mark have died over these past few days. Cornelia was shock to see Mark walking towards them.

 

"I am alive and neither did I die. What the heck is going here? I thought everyone is making sure that they'll be preparing to leave this floor?"

 

"Things have changed after you left you know. We haven't heard of the other expedition teams since you left so everyone got afraid that all of teams that left were now dead"

 

According to Clara, after Mark left for his own expedition, other groups left as well. It was due to the fear that monsters were increasing in numbers and relying only on one person to look for the way to the next floor would take too much time.

And after several days, no one came back. The map data had stop updating and the only one that was moving was one person. That was Mark, who was searching the first and fourth quadrant section.

 

Everyone believed that the expedition teams that left after Mark found the way to the second floor and never came back. The adults that were managing the emotional stability of everyone have lost all hope and began to fend for themselves instead. Like that, the structure of everyone in the university crumbled down and factions started to appear.

 

During the time Mark was absent, two factions appeared. One was the faction that chose to stay because they were already strong enough to take care of themselves and the faction that wished to return to their world.

 

Clara and Cornelia were of the ones that wished to return to earth. As such, they were still maintaining their jobs in preparing to leave to the next floor.

 

"Damn it...."

 

Mark frowns as he opened up his phone and showed it to Clara and Cornelia. There, it was a photo of a single cave at the center of a lake. Fog was covering most of the surface of the water and strange glowing dots can be seen staring back at the camera.

Clara and Cornelia had no idea why Mark was showing this to them.

 

"What is this?"

 

"Those are...."

 

"This is the place that I think that would lead to the next floor"

 

*Gasp!!* Clara and Cornelia were shocked by this revelation.

 

"W-Where did you take this from?"

 

"It’s a full two weeks trip. It's up ahead in the northwest direction. It’s just near some condominium houses that were in the similar state as us"

 

Mark told them about his discovery. After leaving, Mark went full speed in traveling the whole first floor. He passed the usual route and went to the northernmost part of the first floor...

 

There, the temperature was dangerously low and hardly any living creatures except thick furred monsters can live there. Mark spent his time investigating the frozen hills and valleys there to see if the way to the next floor was there.

 

However, he found nothing like that except for a condominium building that had no people in it. The place was completely abandoned but there were traces of people living in it some time ago.

 

The walls and floors had scorched and burnt signs that indicated people cooking there. Signs of battle like slashes on the walls and arrowheads were stuck there made Marl think that the people that lived here learned about the [UL] app far earlier than them.

 

But those people leaving made Mark suspicious of the whole building. The size of the condominium building was enough to fit more than 5000 families. However not one shadow can be seen there.

 

With such thought in mind, Mark left the condominium. He searched in the forest near the condominium and saw the single cave sitting on an island at the center of the lake. Mark then hypothesized that the people in the condominium might have found the second floor and left through there.

 

Furthermore, Mark saw something troubling when he looked around the condominium...

 

"The cave can be looked into later but.... the people that lived in that condominium wasn't from the same country as us"

 

"Wait, are you saying that other countries got involved in this?"

 

Mark nodded at Clara's words, who was right on the mark of what Mark was talking about....

 

"In any case, I want some men to investigate that cave. Make sure to only bring the strongest just in case monsters attack. Also, we'll need cars in order to bring in the supplies. We'll use the condominium there as our base"

 

"W-Wait a minute!! This is going too fast you know? The other faction won't-"

 

"I already talked to Lyon about gathering some people. It'll be their decision if they want to stay here or reach the other floors"

 

Mark put back his phone back in his pocket as he answered Cornelia's worry filled question. Even Clara was shocked that Mark even talked to Lyon, who was the head of the other faction.

 

"We don't have much time. If you guys want to live then follow with what I say and go to that cave. The map has been updated long ago anyway so you guys should just go there and establish our new base"

 

"Wait, why did you come back here? If you already found out about the place that leads to the other floors, couldn't you just left? There's no reason for you to stay here"

 

Clara asked such thing to Mark. As it was obvious that there was no reason for Mark to stay with the others, he have found the doorway to the next floor already, he can leave any time he wants yet, he still returned and told Clara and Cornelia about it.

He even went out of his way and to investigate an unknown place which was inhabited by unknown race of people. If things were accounted for along with all the help Mark had gave everyone, then it would have enough for Mark to leave them behind and head to the next floor.

 

Clara was perplexed. Mark had no reason to help yet he stayed. Her mind was unable to comprehend what Mark was thinking.

 

However, as these words entered Mark's ears, the person himself smiled and turned around.

 

"I had no reason to as well. I just want to help everyone as much as I can is all..."

 

Mark began to walk away, leaving but silence behind his trail....

 

'There really wasn't any reason... I just don't want to be left alone is all...' Was Mark's thought as he walked away with a forlorn gait....

 

♦♦♦♦

 

Immediately after Mark arrived and issued an mobilization of troops, almost all students and adults alike have readied their weapons and armor. Modified vehicles such as water tankers, busses and trucks have been parked outside the university.

 

The two factions that were divided after Mark left were forced to work together the next day. The sights of Mark's classmates sending hatred filled glares at the other factions can be seen here and there but they were a few.

 

The engineering team that was tasked to build things was coming along as well since the condominium Mark found had solar panels available on the rooftops. In order to maintain a good source of electrical energy for lighting and cooking, they have to take them down and incorporate them to the ones that needed electricity improvement in the university.

 

The ship engine that was modified to convert mechanical energy to electrical energy has long ceased its function. Because it was gas powered and there was no source of gas around this world, the engine stopped functioning.

 

Those solar panels would greatly help everyone who was in a dire need of electricity.

 

"Is this all....huh? I thought it would be less?"

 

But different from what Mark have thought, almost everyone readied up and were lining up outside the university, armed with weapons and suitable armors.

 

It certainly looks like they were going to war than occupying an empty place.

 

"What, everyone here sees you as a leader. Don't tell me you didn't expect that?"

 

Ron stood next to Mark. The size of his armor was far greater than his body. The bulkier it seems that heavier it looks. Mark's eyes were wondering if Ron could even walk around it. In addition to the heavy armor, there was a large sword on his back. If you think about it, Ron should be unable to move right now. However, as he was power type of soldier, he was able to move perfectly fine.

 

Ron chuckled at Mark's unenthusiastic remark.

 

"You've been out way too much; at least spend some time with everyone"

 

"Am I a father to those selfish brats? Seriously, I said send some able men to the site not all of them"

 

Mark sighed as he looked at the army of young men and women as well as adults wearing armors with weapons in hand. Almost all the people inside the university were there. Not one was left and the ones charging up trucks with food reserves were there.

Mark can even see the former professors lining up even though they should be sitting with the food reserves. It makes one think that whether or not this travel would be too good for them.

 

"Honestly, I don't want to trust this place but we got no choice. We've searched the whole floor already and found nothing"

 

The map data was already completed. From the edge of the map on the east to the edge on the west; even north and south has been mapped. The monster habitats were recorded in journals and what's more, almost all medicinal herbs were nearly exhausted by everyone. The ones that were left were the undiscovered and unrecorded ones that can only be found in cold and damp areas....

 

The northwest part of the floor which Mark has gone through was the one left. It was very understandable since the whole floor wasn't as massive as it seems...

 

"What's the harm then? Since this is the last place, wouldn't it be fine considering that this might be it? I mean, you've already said that we've searched the whole floor and found nothing"

 

Ron wondered why Mark was worrying over something that was obvious. They have already searched for the next floor's staircase or even a rode or a bridge. But they didn't find any and what's left was the cave that was at the center of a lake which was next to a condominium that was abandoned just recently. Mark was just over thinking things too much.

 

"No"

 

But Mark shook his head and denied his own theory...

 

"If we're looking at this closely, shouldn't we search for something that climbs up rather than that climbs down? We're inside a closed space, we should go up and not down"

 

"That's.... "

 

Ron even knows that they inside some sort if cave without any exit or entrance. Rivers flows from a waterfall that falls from the crevices of the ceiling and moons stars doesn't even exist at night. There's light every morning but that seems questionable since it doesn't really move from one spot.

In conclusion, they were inside some underground place. In order to reach the next floor they need to move up and not down. Mark was trying to say that it was weird for them to go down which instead they should go up.

This was definitely weird no matter how you wrap your head around it...

 

"If there's a chance that this isn't the next floor then we won't be coming back to our university or even our world"

 

Mark sighed as he took out his phone and opened the map app.

 

"In any case, this is a two week trip with a point of no return. We'll be running out of time by the time we get there"

 

"What do you want to do then?"

 

"We'll rest twice every three days to save time. If needed, carry the ones that can't go on if they faint"

 

"That's too harsh.... but it couldn't be help right?"

 

"Yeah... even though haste makes waste, we don't have much choice"

 

Mark once more gazes upon the direction where they will be going to. A place where it would decide whether all of them would be able to return to their world or not...

 

-

 

The live feed in the television screen of all people around the world showed the scene of Mark and Ron standing side by side to each other with hardworking students and adults behind them.

 

In the eyes of the viewers they seemed to be two people that was generated through motion pictures; a CGI in Lehman's terms. However, they all know that this live feed was all too real.

 

The killings, the hunting, the hurting and the surviving were all real events that none of the viewers can refute. After all, the ones inside those screens were their families and friends.

 

It has been a month and a half since all the abducted ones have disappeared. The places where all the buildings and were empty and only the empty lot with open canals were left after the world wide kidnappings.

 

The small cities in every country experienced this as well. America lost four of its state universities and two of its military bases. Russia had lost development buildings and a shopping mall. China lost a village in the suburbs and a whole office building. England lost one university and three houses in the provinces. Japan lost three high schools and one state university and the Philippines lost 4 universities and one airport.

 

The total count of people kidnapped was massive and it wasn't something that can be turned a blind eye on. What's more, the beings that took all those buildings and its people were unknown entities.

 

Even though they disappeared after taking the 2 million people around the world, they left a single large cube orbiting around the sky, sending the live feed of the kidnapped people to everyone on earth...

 

The scenes differ from every country. In Philippines, it was showing Mark and everyone else that were still alive.

 

"It seems that.... our people have been working hard but, even they have their limits. We need to find a way to rescue them!!"

 

The secretary of defense, Gen. Vicente Ramos, yelled out as he points one finger on the television screen next to his side.

 

"Even we are in agreement with that but with our current technology, we don't have the means to search for them"

 

"That's right. Even my country is doing their best to make the most powerful satellite there is in the world just to find those kidnapped people"

 

The ambassadors of America and Russia gave their suggestions as they too don't have a concrete plan on how to rescue the two million people that was kidnapped by seven unknown beings.

 

"General, please settle down. Even us can't make any movements. The public is demanding the rescue of their love ones even, we've got our hands tied behind our backs right now"

 

"But mister president!!"

 

"I know you also had your daughter caught up in it. But please be reasonable. The world itself can't advance with our current technology. Everyone is at stalemate"

 

Ever since the whole incident started, the people around the world have been collaborating in order to find a way to take back the kidnapped people. Interstellar space travel became a top priority and many space exploration satellites were sent into the far reaches of space.

 

Quantum computers were immediately used to process datas of the satellites. Signals were made powerful and powerful nuclear warheads were being sent to the moon almost every week.

 

The whole world had their attention taken by the seven unknown beings that took 2 million or perhaps more people to some place unknown. In today's generation, the amount of technological advancement had surpassed even the estimated amount of technologies developed every 10 years. Currently, the world has gone through technological advancement during the first one month and a half...

 

"That's why, calm down for now"

 

"......Forgive my rudeness, everyone "

 

Gen. Vicente Ramos apologized sincerely and sat back down on his seat.

 

"In any case, we can't make a move right now. The spaceship made for interstellar travelled are still under experimental phase we need at least three years before its done"

 

The ambassador of U.S.A uttered so seriously. Sharing the information they have right now at their disposal.

 

"What about everyone else?"

 

"Quantum elevator is on testing already. The European government has been making shipments around the world to deliver the needed parts to the equator"

 

"As for us, the perpetual nuclear reactors are still being tested. The one that currently exists is about a human hand size. Its power output is still small"

 

"The Chinese government has sent our own men to the moon in order to begin the [Wormhole Portal] operation. But, the materials are lacking. We can't continue our operations with this"

 

"Even us in Russia have turned to occult research in order to find an alternative way. Everyone's technologies have still yet to advance and even with this, the world's natural resources can't hold up anymore. We'll destroy earth first before getting into space"

 

Almost every country was still underdeveloped. The technologies were still ways beyond the ones used by those seven beings. Not much can be done with that but before long; the world's natural resources would be astronomically depleted before they could achieve that.

Even the Russian was taking things into the occult way just to lessen the burden on the world.

 

"Occult? That's lunacy.... There's no way that spells and hexes would-"

 

"Yes, you are right. It is lunacy but we found some way to get to that place and rescue the kidnapped people"

 

"?!"

 

Everyone was surprised by this declaration.

 

"Wait, is that true?"

 

"It may have seen impossible, but we found it. An ancient text regarding other worldly travel; it’s from an underground that was found in the Antarctic"

 

"The Antarctic?"

 

"Yes"

 

The Russian ambassador nodded at the European ambassador's confirmation.

 

"It was a stone tablet.... that contains the truth of the world. The first human race that wrote when the gods descended on earth....the [True Gods Bible]"

 

And so, like that, the world's technology was then turned to a direction far different from the world have walked until now.

0