Chapter 10: Wait… Is This A Date?
303 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had made plans to hang out with Phil. If I were still fourteen, I wouldn’t have been worried about it. But since I transformed, things were going to be a bit different. To him, it wouldn’t even be me he’s hanging out with, it would be my cousin, who doesn’t actually exist. We texted each other about where to go. Phil wanted to go to an arcade with my old self, so I told him that I’d like to go there. 

“Guess I’ll see you at eleven?” he texted.

“Yeah.” I responded.

“Great.” texted Phil, “See you then.”

I then put my phone down and left my room.

“You’re in a good mood.” commented Sam, “Going on a date with your boyfriend?”

“He’s not my boyfriend!” I exclaimed.

Not long after that, my parents appeared in the hallway.

“Who’s dating who now?” asked my father.

“You’ve got a boyfriend now?” my mother asked.

“No!” I exclaimed, “Will you two go?”

“But… isn’t what you’re doing a date?” asked Sam.

“If two guys, did the same thing would you consider that a date?” I asked.

“I mean… if they held hands.” said Sam.

“Well, I don’t plan on holding any hands.” I said.

“That’s enough, Sam.” said our mother, “We shouldn’t get in the way of her date.”

“It’s not a date!” I exclaimed.

I met up with Phil at eleven like we promised, just outside the arcade building.

“Did you wait long?” I said.

“I just got here.” he answered.

“Are you disappointed?” I asked.

“Why are you asking me that?” asked Phil.

“Well, I know you wanted to hang out with my cousin-” I started.

“How about we don’t talk about him?” he requested, “I’m starting to feel like he’s trying to avoid me.”

“I don’t think he’s avoiding you.” I said.

“What makes you say that?” asked Phil, “I haven’t seen him in forever and he won’t talk to me in person.”

I wanted to tell him that his friend was closer than he thought, but I knew he wouldn’t believe me at all.

“Sorry for bringing it up.” I said.

“Let’s just go in.” he said.

“O-Okay.” I replied.

With no hesitation, I followed him inside and we immediately found a fighting game to play. It had been a while since I had played this one, but I wasn’t going to let myself lose to him so I came at him with everything I had. I won.

“You’re really good at this.” he commented.

“Yeah, I’ve had a lot of practice.” I said.

We went a few more rounds and I won most of them.

“Did you play with Christopher?” asked Phil.

“Huh?” I said, “Oh… uh, yeah!”

“I figured.” said Phil, “A lot of these moves are his.”

We played some more games together before leaving and grabbing something to eat at a restaurant.

“What can you get for you two?” asked a blonde-haired girl with twin tails and blue eyes, setting two cups of water on the table for us.

We ordered our food and then both of us were surprised by what she said next.

“Hope you two enjoy your date!” she said.

“It’s not a date!” Phil and I responded at the same time.

The waitress then took off. After that, Phil started laughing.

“What?” I said, “What’s so funny?”

“It’s nothing.” he said, “It’s just the more I’m with you… the more I feel like Christopher is here. It’s scary how similar you are.”

“Oh?” I replied, taking a sip of water.

“It’s almost like you two are the same person.” commented Phil.

I choked on my water.

“Are you okay?” he said, his eyes opening wide.

“I’m fine.” I said.

“If you say so.” said Phil.

It didn’t take too much longer for the two of us to get our food. 

“Did I miss something interesting while I was away?” the waitress asked.

“Not really.” responded Phil.

“So you didn’t propose or anything?” asked the girl.

“We are not dating!” Phil and I said at the same time.

“You two seem to get along really well though.” commented the waitress.

“We’re just friends, okay?” said Phil.

“Then why do you look sad?” the waitress asked.

“Why do you care?” he asked.

“You look like you're not happy.” she said, “What’s bothering you?”

“I just haven’t seen an old friend in a while.” said Phil.

“I know what that’s like,” she said, “there was someone I knew a while back, but then they went somewhere far away.”

“I’m sorry.” I said.

“Don’t be.” responded the waitress, “I got to see them again. It just took a while.”

“Is that all you wanted to talk about?” asked Phil.

“I’m just saying that you’ll probably be able to see your friend again.” the waitress said.

“I hope so.” replied Phil.

After that, she left us alone.

“I have a question.” I said.

“What is it?” responded Phil.

“If Christopher changed… and he looked a lot different from how he used to be,” I said, “would you still be his friend?”

“It doesn’t matter what he looks like,” answered Phil, “he will always be my best friend.”

“Right…” I said.

I probably should have known the answer. I’m sure if he knew the truth about me, if he were actually there when it happened, he’d still be my friend. That’s just the kind of person he is. The only problem is how do I tell him the truth and how do I prove it to him?

“Christina?” said Phil, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied.

For the rest of the time we spent together that afternoon, so many people we bumped into thought we were dating. I found it pretty annoying and was happy when I was finally able to go home.

5