Thursday: December 19th
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I just had to get through this final. Once I got through this final, I could drive a few hours home and sleep in my own bed. I only har to survive this one last exam. I could do it. It sounded easy enough. Take the exam, pack up the car, go home, and sleep. Simple. Except for the one problem was that this exam was chemistry. I didn't understand chemistry. It was all gibberish.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch. You really are a heel. You're as cuddly as a cactus. You're as charming as an eel. Mr. Grinch. You're a bad banana with a greasy black peel.

I had no idea what the question was asking, and my brain was busy singing. Why was this happening? Why couldn't I focus? Why couldn't I just be at home yet? No, I had to take this stupid exam, so I didn't fail this stupid class. I wanted to cry.

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch. Your heart's an empty hole. Your brain is full of spiders. You've got garlic in your soul. Mr. Grinch. I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.

The room was too quiet. I could feel the stress, and that was why I couldn't focus. I needed something to make noise. Please, why couldn't they play music? My brain wouldn't shut up until there was noise. At least my mind had the proper sense to sing the version from the 1966 cartoon version. The original version. The best version

You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch. You have termites in your smile. You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile. Mr. Grinch.

Given the choice between the two of you, I'd take the seasick crocodile.

Please, someone, help me. If I didn't get this exam done, I was going to fail this class. I couldn't retake chemistry. I had to take more chemistry later. I was antsy, tired, and wanted to go home. I know I sounded like a toddler, but I couldn't do this. I was bubbling in random circles and hoping for enough points to pass. If I couldn't focus enough, then I would have to pray to the Gods. Maybe they would take pity on me. I just had to pray to every god out there. One would listen, right?

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch. You're a nasty, wasty skunk. Your heart is full of unwashed socks. Your soul is full of gunk. Mr. Grinch.

The three words that best describe you. Are as follows and I quote, "Stink, stank, stunk."

After a whole dreadful hour of trying to do chemistry, I finally turned in my final final. The thought of finally being free from exams was relaxing. Now, I got to go home and answer the same questions over and over again for the next month. Everyone wanted to know if I passed my classes, what classes I took, what classes I am going to take, had I met friends, and, most importantly, if I had a boyfriend. Not that it would matter, but I'd appreciate it if my family minded their own business. However, they wouldn't.

"How did your final go?" Alice asked when I walked into the apartment.

I groaned, "I fucking hate chemistry. I couldn't focus at all, and I felt stupid."

"That's rough."

"Are you ready for your final?" I asked. Alice and Layla both had finals to take. The time for their finals was seven at night to nine at night. They both planned to leave tomorrow, so they didn't get home super late.

"Not at all."

"Oof," I said before entering my room. I needed to pack real quick. It wasn't going to be much. I just needed my laptop, my chargers, my dirty laundry so my dad could wash them for me, my winter coat, and my stuffed animals. Yes, I had stuffed animals while in college. There were only a few, and they brought me comfort. They came back home with me for break. Sue me for all I care. I was a child at heart.

Once I was all packed up, I said, "Good luck on your final."

"Get home safe," Alice said. I smiled before making my way out of the apartment to my car.

Once I loaded everything into the trunk of my car, I climbed into the driver's seat. I started up my car so it could get all toasty as I drove. The downside of 60 degree days in December was that nights got down 30 degrees. However, it still wasn't cold enough to get me into a winter coat, but it was too cold for just a hoodie.

Hailey: Leaving my apartment. Stopping to get dinner on the way.

Dad: Drive safe.

Mom: I'll be in bed when you get home.

I laughed as I plugged my phone in to charge then pulled up Google Maps. Despite knowing the route from school to home, I always had Google Maps up. I guess it was more of a comfort thing than a need for it. Plus, it was great for when there were speed traps.

After running through the Culver's drive-thru, I was officially on the road. I was flipping through radio stations when I heard it.

The radio sang, "You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch. You're the king of sinful sots. Your heart's a dead tomato splotch. With moldy purple spots. Mr. Grinch." I cackled and turned the music up a little louder.

"Your soul is an appalling dump heap. Overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable. Mangled up in tangled up knots," I sang along with the radio. "You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch. With a nauseous super-naus. You're a crooked joking, And you drive a crooked horse. Mr. Grinch."

"You're a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich. With arsenic sauce," The song finished. I quickly switched to my Jonas Brothers CDs that I have in my car at all times. Just then, my phone started ringing.

"What? I'm driving," I said as I answered.

I heard his laugh, "Is that how you always answer your phone?"

"Depends on who it is," I answered. This boy seriously had the worst timing. I knew I had said that before, but still. I hated talking on the phone while I was driving. Not only was I driving, but I was driving on the interstate while it was dark. "What's up? Why did you call?"

"Because I haven't talked to you all day and wanted to know how your finals went."

"This could have waited until I was home."

"But I wanted to talk to you now," Ethan whined.

"Clingy much?"

"Very."

"Well, my first final today went well, but the second one not so much," I started saying. I told him all about my finals, and he listened to everything I said. Though I hated talking on the phone while driving, it made the drive bearable. It was like he was in the car with me. I didn't have to drive those dreadful hours by myself. It was like he knew it too.

The second I was home, I unloaded my car. I put everything in the entryway. Once everything was unloaded, and in my house, I sent Ethan a text to let him know I made it home. He just sent me a smiley face emoji in response. Idiot.

0