Wednesday: December 25th
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"It's Christmas," Sam shouted as she flopped on top of me. Have you ever had a person twice your size lay on top of you? It wasn't fun, let me tell you. I couldn't breathe when she was on me. However, it was her way of waking me up. Someone, please help me.

I grudgingly got out of bed. It was currently eight in the morning, and I wanted to curl up back in bed. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only two days of the year I willingly wake up early. This doesn't mean that I was functional when I woke up. I was still a cranky toddler for a little bit while I woke up.

I made my way downstairs and to the living room. I made my way to the living room so we can open presents. Ryan and Sam weren't downstairs, so Ryan must have been receiving the same fate I did. However, Sam probably didn't squish Ryan as much as she squished me. He is bigger and stronger than me. Stupid puberty. We used to be close in size, and then he grew up, leaving me the smallest one in the family.

While we waited for Ryan and Sam to get downstairs, I looked at the note left from Santa and then what was in my stocking. My stocking just had chocolates and a Visa gift card. I wasn't surprised because what are you supposed to get a bunch of adults for stocking stuffers? It was a struggle for my mom, so we got what we got.

Once Ryan and Sam got downstairs, we sat in our spots to open presents. Yes, my family has specific spots for opening presents. My mom sat in front of the fireplace, next to the tree. I sat in front of the end table in between my dad's recliner and the couch. My sister sat in front of the other end of the couch. My brother sat across the room from her. My dad sat between the two, so he was far enough back to take our pictures if he needed to. I didn't know why he still does this. We weren't little anymore, and our presents weren't super exciting anymore.

We opened presents quickly. Once we finished, my mom went into the kitchen to make breakfast while my siblings and I cleaned up the wrapping paper in the middle of the floor. Who doesn't love cleaning up wrapping paper and shoving it into a garbage bag? Though it never took long to do since we just shoved armfuls in.

Once we were done, Mom came around with drinks. Both of my parents were having Bloody Marys. My sister had orange juice and vodka. My brother was drinking plain orange juice for whatever reason. I had apple juice and vodka. I don't like orange juice, so my mom had to make sure to have apple juice whenever I was home. Orange juice is nasty. I have disliked it for as long as I can remember and always will dislike it.

My mom handed us each a cinnamon roll and got us refills on our drinks. Once that was done, we watched a few more Christmas specials. We didn't have anywhere to be until noon, so we had a little time to kill.

Hailey: Merry Chrysler!

Ethan: Really? You too?

Hailey: Too? Who copied me?

Ethan: Liam

Hailey: My true soulmate

Ethan: Merry Christmas, Hailey. I miss you

Hailey: I don't blame you. I would miss me too

We were at a different aunt and uncle's house to celebrate Christmas. I was sitting on the ground in front of Sam. My cousin, who is just a few months younger than me, made UV Blue and lemonade for Sam, Ryan, and I. She handed us each one before sitting next to me. My grandpa, my younger uncle, my cousin, my siblings, and I are currently sitting in the living room. My younger cousins were all in the basement, playing. My older uncle, his wife, my grandma, and my mom were in the kitchen, talking and setting up lunch.

"So Hailey, about the boyfriend," My younger uncle said. He was in his forties, but he was the youngest of my mom and her two brothers. He was divorced and lived with my grandparents. His reasoning for not having an apartment was that it is too small for him and his three boys, but my grandparent's 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom house wasn't. He was also my most annoying uncle and would take any chance to embarrass any of his nieces and nephews.

I looked up at Sam and said, "Is there anyone you didn't tell?"

"It isn't my fault," Sam said. That was an absolute lie. "He must have overheard it while I was at the grandparent's."

"Still your fault. You didn't have to say anything in the first place."

"Can we get back to the boyfriend?" My uncle said.

"He isn't my boyfriend. We literally just met at the begging of the month. Why would I date a guy I just met?"

"Isn't that how dating works?"

"Not with me. I like to know what I'm getting myself into," I said as I finished my drink.

Lunch was announced, and we all made our way to the kitchen to make our plates. We had pulled pork, which meant I could eat this year. Don't get me wrong, I eat every Christmas, but the main course was ham, and I hated like ham. I survived on sides at Christmas and Easter because it was always ham. One year at Easter, I literally ate rolls and corn because it was the only thing I was willing to eat.

"When are we going to meet your not boyfriend?" My younger uncle asked.

I laughed, "You? Never. Everyone else? Maybe someday, if I feel like it."

After lunch, we let my younger cousins open their presents. My family has a rule that you no longer get presents over the age of 18, so here we are watching. However, my grandparents take pity on us and give the four of us a Visa gift card. This way we can buy our own presents. However, it sucked because what was the point of being here. Family? No thanks, I saw enough of them as was. I want presents too or give me money. I was a broke college student. They could spare twenty for me.

After presents, we all were talking and hanging out for a little bit. We were mostly talking about what was going on in our lives, how work was going, how school went, you know the fun stuff. At least we weren't talking about Ethan anymore. However, shortly after, we all decided to go home. The kids were getting antsy, and I could feel my social battery draining. Either that or the four drinks I had between breakfast and lunch were kicking in and making me tired. Probably both.

When we got home, I sat down next to my mom in the living room and laid my head on her shoulder. I could feel my social battery was empty due to the headache I had. My dad turned on Die Hard for us to watch. I curled up next to my mom, making her share her footrest, and watched the movie. After all, it wasn't Christmas until Hans Gruber falls from the Nakatomi Tower. 

0