[Chapter 4] To the East (Part 2) + Incomplete map of Teroku and the Land {3rd Edn}
88 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I had intended to finish the fight in this chapter but it appeared to be much longer than expected. I am sorry that this chapter took so long to come out. I did have a general idea but i hadn't completed those functional magic systems yet so it became quite a hellhole to make them.

 

At least they are finished for now. I will try to update the glossary in another day. There are so many thing.

 

Do check out the map i created at the end of this chapter.

 

 

As days went by, John learnt more about the groveship. This giant ship is a small community of plants. The entire hull which separated the ship’s outside and inside is an individual tree. The decks’ floor is another species of tree that grow on the hull. The many towers and other structures in the ship seem to be branches of this very same species. Thus, explain why the hull is green while the floors and other structures have tree bark color. Insides these towers and decks, it gives the feeling that the trees hollowed its inside to create space that would be the many rooms and corridors. As a result, the room and corridor corners are smooth, not just between the two walls but also between them and the floor or the ceiling.

 

“What a slick design!” Words blurted out as John lied deep in his thought.

 

“Officer John. Please come to the bridge!” A familiar voice rang in his head. It was Emerllia’s telepathy.

=========================================

Bridge of Groveship Emerllia.

 

Saleh informed the newly arrived John that a group of objects were detected more than 300 km east by the ship’s energy detector. This group of 120 objects are moving west and are expected to be visible around 385 minutes. Both shipmasters decided to slow their speed to 10 knots when the first object appears at the horizon. Despite the faint signature, the analysis is confident that these are ships, not large sea creatures. It is still unknown if they found and tried to intercept the two ships or were just on their travel and tumbled into the detector range.

 

John’s personal communicator vibrated. It was Paul from the dwarven ship. The two of them discussed whether they should contact the Foreign Affair Office or wait until the objects’ identity is revealed. After a bit of thinking, they agreed to alert their home country. The number of objects and estimated time of contact were reported to the Office which immediately called the chancellors.

 

Looking at the small PC (Personal Communicator) he just used, John felt magical. Teroku have magic communication devices but those are large installations that fill an entire hall and can’t be moved around. The Great powers of his old world reduce the size by 8 times and they even have PCs. The great powers’ PCs have greatly reduced output but is still as large as half a man which soldier carries as backpack during mission. When Teroku were transported to this world, the old devices turned into junks which urged them to settle a contract with the dwarven crew to install at least the House of Overseer and the Foreign Office with new communication devices first. They are still the size of a room but noticeably smaller than even the Great powers’ equipment. These are exceptional communicators that require no support infrastructure and able to encrypt messages suitable for military communication. The ear-size PCs, John and Paul have, were lent by Borag before the ships departed. They are the latest model that rivals those room-size outdated installations but are not manufacturable without special production facilities. Hence, they were only lent till the end of the mission.

 

Hearing they will soon encounter the natives, the crews got all excited especially those from Teroku. After 2500 km, they met the first sign of civilization. Borag and Dimithil had a different view. It was about a private conversation between them two days earlier. The Land of Harmony was granted peace owing to a special treaty enforced by major global powers. Thus, warships do not come near this place unless they are outright disrespecting the global powers. There must be a legit invitation to bring a functional warship such as the groveship and the primal-powered runeship to the Land which the two shipmasters did.

 

This is where Dimithil felt that the entire affair until now is less of a coincidence but scheduled events. The approval for the warships to enter the Land was secret business settled by the global powers. The two ships’ time of arrival was also not known to the Land or the public. Two experimental anti-blackout warships, first of their kind, top notch at operating in non-magic zone being invited to the Land. Then the Land and everything on it were summoned to another world where the magic currency of one of their system is absent. What is the chance that something so convenient happened? If he follows this train of thought, whatever force transported them here was wanting them to fight in this new world. This may stretch into the territory of a conspiracy but not impossibility. He advised that the 2 ships be ready for future arm conflict. Borag didn’t believe Dimithil’s instinct but agree that they should tread lightly.

 

After 6 hours 25 minutes, observation officers yelled about the approaching ships. The ships cut down their speed to 10 knots. Teroku’s Foreign Affair Office back in the homeland was also given noticed of the coming fleet. At the current speed of both groups, it would take 12 minutes till they were 10 km apart. The HMS-Infinity volunteered to be the first in contact reasoning the ship’s stronger plating but Dimithil knew it is more about getting the dwarven weapon systems which are powerful at close range to the right location. If diplomatic went sour, they could dispatch the hostiles. The HMS-Infinity led while the Emerllia trailed behind.

 

On the screens of the command room of each ship, images of the ships were shown. Teroku’s communication officers recognized the ship design. Those are galleons, large standard warships. By the size, they guessed those must be second-rate ships-of-the-line, the kind that is equipped with more than 90 guns.

 

“So in this world, sail ships are still the norm for naval warfare.” Deckmaster Beherzt thought out loud.

 

Borag has been telling his subordinates to change the cameras to other ships trying to see those ships at different angles. He seemed to be searching for something.

“Not good.”

 

“What’s wrong, master Borag?” Chancellor Erwin asked though the communicator.

 

“Chancellor, sir. They don’t have flag or anything similar.”

 

It finally dawned on everyone. Ships that don’t have flag means they do not belong to any nation and for warships it usually means pirates or deserters. Still, Borag wants to be sure before they cause any unrepairable damage to Teroku’s first diplomatic debut. Order was given to the crew and was communicated to the Emerllia and Teroku’s homeland. The two ships stopped entirely at 8-km distance. Borag dragged the microphone-like device.

 

“To the approaching ships. This is the HMS-Infinity accompanied by the Emerllia. We are delegated by the Independent State of Teroku to scout the Eastern sea and conduct diplomacy. We come with no hostility and would like to establish friendly relation with your alleged organization. I repeat. We come in peace and want to establish friendly relation with you.”

 

Silence…

 

…and…

 

…the ships are still moving at full speed which Paul and John reported back to the Foreign Affair Office.

 

Borag spoke to the microphone again.

“To the approaching ships. We come without ill-will. What we want is to establish diplomatic relation with your ruling organization. Please respond.”

 

Everyone’s eyes were glued to the screen and their ears awaiting reply from the opposing site. Without visual, Teroku Foreign Affair Office, FAO, can only look at the communication device with sweat and loud heart beatings.

 

Some people started debating maybe they didn’t understand their language…

 

…but if they don’t understand they could have said something back.

 

“To the approaching ships. If you do not respond, we will take it that you have hostile intention and proceed to engage in combat. You have been warned.”

 

The distance is now 5 km.

 

“Get ready to fire. The safety of the Infinity and her crew is the first priority. Sink all hostile vessels within 4 km.” Dimithil’s order was transmitted across the Emerllia.

 

“Shipmaster, sir.” John have informed back to the FAO about the ships’ ready-for-combat. “My government would like you to refrain from being the first to attack.”

 

Dimithil looked at John like a mad man. Sweats began to form beneath his cloth.

 

“Tell your superior I want to talk with them.”

 

John promptly relayed the shipmaster’s message before handing the PC to him.

“This is Dimithil.”

 

“We are hearing you, master Dimithil.”

 

“Do you know why I am asking to speak with you directly?”

 

“With all due respect, master Dimithil. This is a new world for both you and us. We can’t survive in this world without making as much allies as possible and avoiding getting into hostile relations. That requires extreme caution while conducting diplomacy. I hope you understand that we can’t be the one to initiate combat. All we ask of you is to calm down and assess the situation with utmost care.”

 

John and other crew members can’t hear chancellor Mufusa’s voice due to the PC’s privacy setting but they knew by their shipmaster’s expression that he is raging inside.

 

“I don’t know if you truly understand the situation so I will confirm it. We are in a new world. The Laws (of this world and magic) here are mostly unknown. Those harmless-looking ship can pose threat we can’t predict. What I can see is more than 300 people who are my friends and your countrymen being asked to stand there as targets before enemy’s firepower.”

 

“We understand that, shipmaster, but those men knew of their danger when they were assigned to this mission. They would put their homeland’s benefits above all else. Also I trust shipmaster Borag’s confidence in his ship’s capacity.”

 

“This is putting our people to unnecessary danger. I ask you to drop this needless demand immediately.”

 

“We have analyzed the situation and conclude that this is within acceptable danger level that would not infringe the terms of our contract. We ask that you respect our agreement.”

 

The contract did say that in case the mission is deemed too dangerous to carry out. The shipmasters have the right to prioritize his crew’s safety. Looking at the situation it is true that there haven’t been any major issue so far. No one among his crew or the HMS-Infinity would believe their ship can get sunk by sail ships. Dimithil knew that his judgement based mostly on his instinct rather than logic. It still stinks for him to admit that.

 

“If there is casualty because of this, I will assure you pay for it.”

 

Dimithil gave the PC back to John before ordering his men to prepare for retaliation at first sight of attack. Holding the PC, John was still a little bit shaken. Other elves and Teroku’s soldiers within the room tried to focus on their task and avoid looking at Dimithil’s direction.

 

Did he just threaten a chancellor? Technically, this is not a mission given by the Elven council requested by Teroku but contract between the Infinity and the Emerllia’s crew and Teroku’s government. The chancellor is just an agent representing their partner, or more exactly client. Both sides are equal. Regardless, a chancellor is still a chancellor, one of the highest authorities of their friendly sovereign state. It is not wise to be rude. Everyone kept their thought to themselves.

=========================================

“What is that captain thinking? Is he trying to sabotage this mission?” A senior staff of the Foreign office ranted.

 

That comment reaped him a stern look from Henson. Comments and attitudes like that are prone to stir unwanted complication. For a senior staff, he has a very loose mouth which made the chancellor question the current quality of the Foreign office’s staff. He decided to thoroughly reassess all staff members of every agency right after this mission is over.

 

Henson turned his sight to Mufusa. The old chancellor had grown more distrusted of the Land after they allowed some from the Land to enter their state 2 months ago. He recalled Mufusa even suggested that the Land’s personnel may try to cause difficulty during our diplomacy with the new world to force Teroku to be dependent on the Land. Henson dismissed this drastic conclusion due to lack of evidence.

=========================================

Teroku’s decision have already been announced to the runeship at the same time as it reached the groveship. After instructing the crew to brace for potential attack, Borag could only stare at the screen just as everyone else. His hands gripped tightly on the chair’s shoulder. Borag is certain of his ship’s durability since he is the one responsible for the design of this ship from the most minor details.

 

The outer most layer of the hull are 74 mm of Orichalcum. To tell how hard this metal is, it’s better to know some of its rivals. One of them is Adamantine, a hard material which boasts the hardness equal to natural diamond. Adamantissimum, a synthesized variant of Adamantine, is even harder than the original “Indestructible Material”, Adamantine. Yet Orichalcum ever since its first introduction has yet to meet a material as hard let alone harder than it. Orichalcum, however, is not without flaw.

 

With a density just barely below Rhenium, this bronze-color metal is 8.7% heavier than gold, hence, its common name “Heavy Bronze” and while not as rare as silver, Orichalcum is still a scarce metal. Borag believed the agencies of his dynasty are still running around investigating why more than 4% of its total Orichalcum vanished into thin air. As a result, Orichalcum is only sparingly used in static defense structures or in capital ship designs that can’t be compromised with alternative materials.

 

The hull may not be breached by these sail ships but the people on deck are not as durable. There are attacks that can still cause casualties such as poison gas that follows the ventilation system to the crew inside or intense heat that can cook the contend of this ship. A shield may prevent all of those from happening but this ship is not in the condition that it can exert its full power. Its shield is currently only 12% as strong as normally and many of its weapon systems are also in poor shape but Borag will be damned if he ever lets Dimithil do the talking.

 

“To the two strange ships. This is the fleet of his majesty Nosgorath. You have trespassed his majesty’s water. Prepare your ship for on board inspection!”

 

That is clearly not a megaphone speaking. The announcer on the leading ship must have a big voice to reach even here. The crews thought. Borag quickly took the microphone out of its handle.

 

“To the commander of the fleet. I afraid we can not allow you to inspect our vessels. You can still come on board and discuss diplomacy with us but please keep your group to ten people or less.”

 

“Very well.”

 

Everyone breathed out in relief. Borag whispered into Beherzt’s ear. The Deckmaster looked back at his shipmaster’s expression to confirm. Borag reached the front of his hat, distinctively pulled it down as a gesture. Beherzt made a quick nod. The dwarven and Teroku’s crews would later be relayed Borag’s command and got into their position as he arranged.

 

The dwarven crews told the galleon to get their people on the platform that was lowered down by the crane. Besides a ship three times as long, the galleon looks like a dolphin next to an orca. The runeship’s welcoming group have been waiting on the starboard side of main deck. Paul and Borag stood in the middle of the group. On Borag’s left are Beherzt and 4 dwarves. On Paul’s right are 4 Teroku soldier, one of them was carrying their nation’s flag.

 

It took a while but the platform was finally pulled up. Jumping down from the platform, the largest of the ten made a loud entrance. It was a green ogre in leopard skin standing at 2.5 m. His right hand carried a large single-bit axe. The others are boar men while smaller than the ogre at 2.2 m, they are slightly more muscular. They wore full-body leather armor. Places that were not in armor are covered by their dark brown fur. Same as their superior, they were fully armed with spears on one hand and blade on their waist. At last it happened, the first contact between those who were summoned and natives of the new world.

 

“Welcome to the HMS-Infinity. I am the master of this vessel, Borag Golgi. This gentleman is Paul Max representing the Independent State of Teroku, the very same nation that commissioned us to explore the sea and establish relations with other nations.”

 

“Liar! I have never heard about such a name in this sea. You have trespassed the water of my master and you still dare to lie to me? State where you are from or be buried in the sea by my hundred ships.”

 

“No. We didn’t lie. It’s true that we haven’t been in this area for long but that’s because we were summoned to this world.” Paul tried to explain.

 

“Summoned?”

 

“Yes. We are not of this world which is why we didn’t know this sea belong to Lord Nosgorath. We would like to offer our sincere apology for this intrusion.” Paul added.

 

The green ogre made an uncomfortable smirk.

“If you didn’t know then it can’t be helped. Putting that aside. You said you are from another world. His majesty would surely love to know more about your country. Tell me where your country is so we can send envoy to visit it. You are also seeking friends. This should hit two birds for you.”

 

This matter has already been discussed by the House of Overseer and FAO with the consensus from the two shipmasters before the departure. Under no circumstance, the natives are allowed to know of their location.

 

“This is just too sudden. I afraid my country is not in the condition to welcome the envoy of his great majesty Nosgorath.”

 

“How dare you! I will let you know I am one of his majesty’s most trusted servant. Denying me is the same as defiling the will of his majesty. It is custom of this world for the guests to speak of their origin to the host. You trespassed the water of his grace, my majesty, and dare hiding this information? Do you think his majesty is unfit of knowing where your country is?”

 

“No, no. we wouldn’t dare to. It’s just…” Paul was profusely making up excuses to save the conversation.

 

Tired of hearing Paul’s chatter, the green ogre interjected.

“You newcomers seem to not understand so I will be merciful enough to explain this to you. His majesty will soon conquer the entire world. All of the inferior races will be put in their place. Their army shall fail. Their kingdom shall fall. And their people will live as slaves or be destroyed. You, humans and demihumans, are also lower lifeforms but since you are new here and didn’t take part in the blasphemy of defiling our creator’s will. You will be spared of such fate if his majesty takes you under his wings as servants and I am presenting you how to appeal to my grace. This is your one chance to escape oblivion and enslavement.”

 

“I… I… I don’t have the power of deciding that but if you just leave me a couple of minutes. I am sure my government will give you a satisfying answer.”

 

Discussion was going heatedly in the FAO. Only the 3 chancellors were sitting silently. Henson looked at Mufusa shaking his head. The senior chancellor ordered the rest to be silent. He told Paul and Borag through the communicator.

“Our resolve has not changed. Try to salvage the situation as much as possible.”

 

It was this time that Borag decided to speak.

“Fleet master…”

 

“I am known as Green ogre.”

 

“Fleet master Green ogre. We truly can not disclose such information to you but please know that it is not our intention to be rude. To compensate, may we offer his majesty Nosgorath a gift to express our good-will?”

 

“What audacity to bargain with me. Fine. Go and prepare 1000 humans or demihumans. Elves are better than normal demihumans so each elf will count as 10 for you. This gift should paint you in good light before his majesty.”

 

The ships’ crew along with everyone in the FAO were shocked. They appeared to have known what this will be going down to but just to be certain.

 

“May I ask what is the fate of these people?” Borag did his best to hide any trace of emotion.

 

“Do you even need to ask? What good are they except being used as slaves?”

 

“But I thought you said we won’t be enslaved?” A baffled Paul asked.

 

“Of course. Your entire nation won’t be enslaved. It’s just a small sacrifice to save an entire nation. Try to get used to that because the annual tribute will be five times that number.”

 

“Our entire population is only 58 000 people. In just 15 or 20 years we will run out of people.”

 

“So it’s just 58 000. Consider this a favor then. We won’t specify where they came from. Just capture 5000 people and send them every year. That should do the trick.”

 

The shipmaster patted on Paul’s shoulder. He maintained a calm demeanor.

“I am sorry, master Green ogre but we do not practice slavery. I believe we can find another way to settle this.”

 

“I am getting annoyed with your rejection.” The green ogre started lecturing. “His army of 100 000 goblins, 20 000 goblin lords and 5 000 orcs are growing as we speak. If you displease his majesty, your country will be the first to be torched.”

 

The dwarves suddenly became extremely concerned. Noise was filling up the bridge. Is that ogre serious? A hundred thousand? That lord of his has 100 000 goblins? Even the elven bridge was also in the same situation. The elves were horrified. This worried Teroku soldiers. They looked around trying to catch on any piece of information that could explain this chaotic atmosphere. The FAO was also stirred up after John explaining the bridge’s situation. Dimithil called directly to the Infinity’s bridge and told the officer there to turn up the volume.

 

“QUIET!” His yell startled the crews and the FAO. Before John can ask, Dimithil gestured him to delay it. “Listen carefully!”

 

Borag centered his eyebrows.

“Excuse me. You said 100 000 goblins?”

 

The green ogre noticed the frightened face of some of the dwarven behind the Deckmaster. So they finally understand the horror of defiling his majesty’s will. He decided to step up his game.

“Yes and there are even the goblin lords and the much stronger, orcs. It takes 10 well-trained knights to defeat a single orc but in large group even an army 100 000 strong can’t beat 5000 orcs. Know that if this army is let loose, it will spell the end of your kingdom.”

 

Green ogre didn’t understand why but the flustered face of those dwarves turned relieved. The same happened on both bridges much to the confusion of Teroku people.

=========================================

“Master Dimithil. What is going on?!”

 

“Let just say those idiots thought the green skin was talking about some particular goblins but at last they were wrong.”

 

The FAO was even more confused by Dimithil’s half-hearted answer. They could only conclude that there are fearsome goblins back in the old world of the Land.

=========================================

“Thank you, master Green ogre. We have come to understand the might of his majesty Nosgorath and we hope to avoid any conflict with his majesty.”

 

The ogre should have been happy inside but he felt something did not add up. The dwarf was too calm. He clearly didn’t fear his threat.

 

“A sacrifice is sometimes necessary to achieve peace but we will not lower ourselves to the level of barbarians and ruin others’ livelihood to save ourselves. We have known your way and we have decided to turn our ships around. It was a short meeting but... farewell.”

 

“I should not have wasted my time talking with you. I should have known you inferiors’ foolishness knows no bound. If you are not here to become our allies, then you are our enemies. You have trespassed the water of my master, his majesty Nosgorath. Surrender yourself or be destroyed.”

 

“That we will not comply. I will give you a chance to get off my ship.”

 

“Ha ha ha ha ha… A lesser creature dared to order me? If you do not want to be our servants or our slaves then you will be our nutrients. My axe will make minced meat out of you.”

 

Contrary to its build, the ogre was fast, too fast for anyone to take aim. Deckmaster Beherzt could only push Borag aside and pull up his war axe to receive the blow. Beherzt was on his knee as he tried to push back the ogre.

 

“Attack!”

“Attack!”

War cries were shouted across the sea. The boarmen on board threw their spears. Two unlucky Teroku soldiers were on the receiving end. The spears were thrown with such force that the two soldiers were pushed out to the sea. Out of spears they unstrapped their blade but before any could get in melee range, crews from inside the ships poured out. Force-boost arrows and enchanted crossbow bolts from Teroku with bullets from dwarven rifles turned them into dead porcupines.

 

The sound of the crossbow and rifles distracted the ogre. Its averted eyes saw the unthinkable. The orcs it was so proud of were corpses in mere seconds. The orcs’ fur can deter arrows and even weak melee attack, one of the reasons why they are so formidable. If an orc was to fight 10 knights, half of the knights would have to act as baits while the rest charge up from behind. They can only hope their thrust was deep enough, else all would die. Often time, the orc would still be alive even with 5 blades in its abdomen. It would reach out and crush the knights’ head inside their helmet. Those who successfully lunged their blade deep enough would try to twist and turn their sword until either side was dead. Green ogre kicked the dwarf’s axe handle to propel himself back. A quick glance to the orcs revealed even their head, the hardest place, was pierced. These inferiors have learned much. Even the dwarf in front of it which should have died in the first strike held his own against the larger ogre.

 

Per their doctrine, the dwarves were surrounding the ogre while taking aim. Before they could complete a circle, the Infinity shook violently as the galleon beside it unleashing 40 cannonballs to its port side. Quite the barrage that cover a section of the HMS-Infinity’s port side in a smoke wall but the orichalcum didn’t yield. The goblins in the galleon while being low-intelligent creatures did not stop their hands to watch and laugh. Already they were reloading the cannons. As the smoke slowly dissipated, the main deck was all energetic. The ogre took the opportunity from the barrage to leap into the disarray scoring many kills.

 

“Shipmaster! This is the bridge. Come in!!!”

 

“I hear ya.” Borag turned on his PC’s talk function.

 

“Enemy attack was magic-based and the anti-magic enchantment of the Adamantine plating has just activated.”

 

The Orichalcum armor is but the outer most layer, beneath it is 100 cm of enchanted Adamantine. This layer of Adamantine is the most important part of the hull even more so than Orichalcum. Orichalcum is the hardest but unfortunately it is also magically inert. Although magic inertness and anti-magic do the same thing, magic inertness is a property while anti-magic is a magic effect. The same with any kind of magic effect you can program anti-magic enchantment to do thing you want. For example, you can program the anti-magic enchantment to only affect certain spells or spells from a source. You can pair anti-magic enchantment with any kind of other enchantments. As long as you program it perfectly the anti-magic won’t interfere with other enchantments. Magic inertness can not be programmed or altered. In another sense, enchantments can’t be applied to Orichalcum. Orichalcum is highly resistant to physical force and inactive against magic-based effects but a heavily enchanted Adamantine is virtually indestructible.

 

“WHAT?” Borag yelled to his PC.

 

At that moment, 3 galleons were targeted by intense yellow lights. Anything that is flammable has been set on fire and metallic parts started to melt just a second of bathing in the light. The goblins, the goblin lords… any living thing that touched the light were reduced to black smoke. The stink of burnt flesh assaulted every nose within the vicinity. The screams were horrifying but those are screams of fear and panic. Those that was struck died before they could feel pain.

 

The three beams only stopped at each galleon for more than 3 seconds and after 10 seconds of firing, 9 ships have been beyond saving. They became a flame wall blocking the fleet from approaching the HMS-Infinity and the leading galleon. Only those fast enough to jump into the sea manage to survive. Many lost a part of their body to the light. A relieved goblin shrieked as an orc carcass suddenly emerged from below. This orc had also jumped out of the ship but as he was still in the air the light changed its target to a nearby ship. When it swept pass his body, his backside was burnt off. The light cooked his brain right in his skull, exposed his spine, coated the flesh that hasn’t been burnt black with the ash that was once living tissues.

 

The screaming and light served as a good distraction for the dwarves but not the human soldiers. When both the rampaging ogre and dumbstruck Teroku soldiers shifted their attention to the fire behind their back, countless grabbling hooks flown up from below and fixed themselves on the side of the ship. It was just one thing after another. Borag gave a quick instruction to the Bridge before turning to the crews on deck.

 

“Half of you to the port! The rest backs up behind Beherzt!!” The shipmaster reconnected to the Bridge. “Engine! Turn her belly to them!”

=========================================

Bridge of the Emerllia.

“Analysis for the Solar Lance attack has complete.” An elven officer reported.

 

“Emerllia. Configure the Thermal Lance to Plasma Torpedo mode. Use the result from the analysis to adjust the yield. Waste no energy.” Dimithil commanded.

 

“I've just received a message from the Infinity. Their anti-magic plating has been activated.” Emerllia relayed the message to everyone's mind on the commanding room.

 

Magic was divided into many systems not just because they use different currency. The most fundamental problem with magic is that they only ever interact with magic of their own system. Anti-magic spells only affect their own magic and magic-boost spells only boost spells of their system. No magic has ever been discovered to demonstrate this cross-system interaction before.

 

“That is absurd.”

 

Some of the crew still did not understand what was going on or what the message has any application to the situation.

“If their attacks can produce magic effect that cause the anti-magic enchantments to activate, that means our magic may also be affected by their anti-magic spells. We have no idea if they have anything resembles anti-magic enchantment on their ship nor do we know if the primal system is affected by their magic. Since there is no problem with the Solar Lance attack, we know physical effect is working as normal.” Emerllia turned to Dimithil. “Physical attack should be our best choice but your call of course.”

 

Magic is a strange thing. In the same system, there can be 2 spells that generate flame, one magical flame and the other normal flame. Normal flame is a physical effect. It requires fuel to sustain else it will just disappear. Magical flame as the name implied is a magical effect. You can program the magical flame just as you program magical effect to only burn someone, have low or high temperature, have specific shape such as flame sword or flame arrow, be applied with homing spell. Overall magical effect is superior to physical effect in the flexibility of their utilization but they are not perfect. Anti-magic and more importantly dispel spells will be able to interfere with magical effect. Say you use a spell to attack your opponent if they misfired and about to hit your allies you can still dispel it or cast anti-magic on your allies to weather it. In case of a physical effect, there is only avoid or endure, the same as pulling the trigger and the bullet come flying.

 

 “No matter. We will use this opportunity to analyze. Use all systems including the Colora and Endura.”

 

There are 3 major magic systems back in their old world, the Endura system, the Colora system and the Uniformis system. They are named after the characteristics of their magic currency. Colora system has a colored currency, called Colos, that can be seen with naked eyes when the magic is being used. The density of the Colos is shown by the color of the currency ranging from fainted white to darkest shade of black. The darker the color, the higher the concentration. In the new world, Colos only exists and is generated by the people of the Land and the primal reactor.

 

Uniformis system has its currency evenly distributed throughout the universe and without any conventional ways to concentrate this currency into an area. This system’s currency, the Uni, is nowhere to be found in the new world. The primal reactor can create them but the Uni will disperse before the machinery can use them.

 

The Endura system uses stamina to activate its magic, in theory, people with greater endurance can use more Endura magic. The enchantments on Teroku’s bows and crossbows are Endura enchantments. Machines do not have stamina and they can’t use this system. Thus, the only system the runeship is using is the Colora.

 

“Send our targets to the HMS-Infinity. It’s better for our analysis if they don’t attack them.”

 

Announcement
This map is incomplete. A large portion of Teroku is missing and the rivers have yet to be made.

 

 

2nd edition: fixing grammar mistake. It should have been "ogre" not "orge"

3rd edition: There was a discrepancy about the distance and the time of travel. The 2 ships were moving at 12 knots and taking in account the fleet speed, it should have been 385 minutes before contact.

0