[Chapter 6] Day passed {2nd Edn}
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I thank the original series for allowing me to make a fanfic that i can throw everything in. Currently i introduced people from at least 3 different worlds, not counting the 2 in the original series. Teroku came from 1, the Land from another and Caroline who was summoned from his own world to Teroku then being transported together with Teroku to the new world.

 

There are still a lot of important actors have yet to make appearance but they will soon and when they do there will be a lot of fun. :)

 

The House of Overseer. Capital city. The State of Teroku.

Noon the day after the conflict on the east sea.

 

Today the conference room witnessed one of the highest concentration of authority ever since passing to the New World. Except for Chancellor Temona and Chancellor Westlor, all Chancellors were present. There were also people from the Army High Command and staff of the Foreign Affair Office. Information collected until the conflict yesterday was compiled and each people received a copy. The frantic sound of page turning filled the voiceless room.

 

The 3rd Army Commander reviewed the contents around 2-3 times to ensure he read it correctly. He took up the neat pile of papers that he just stacked together. His eyes quickly traced for the information he needed in the report.

“I just want to make sure this thing. I know that Chancellor Henson personally appointed Officer Paul and Officer John for this expedition. Can I assume that the Chancellor is confident with the Officers’ capability as well as the authenticity of this document?”

 

“That would be correct.”

 

“That’s all I need. Thank you.”

 

The 3 Commanders would sometimes make close-ear exchange. It was weird. This is the opposite of what some of the FAO’s staff expected. The FAO at least involved somewhat with the incident yesterday and the chancellors have accessed to most of the information before anyone else so their lack of reaction is understandable. However, the Army Commanders’ nonchalant demeanor is beyond their understanding.

 

Is this absurd information not a big deal to them? Did the papers they had get any error that omits important information? Does the army have other sources of news? No that can’t be. Some of these thoughts wandered around the head of several members. No matter how hard they cracked their brain, they couldn’t come to understand the Commanders’ reaction. It appeared the commanders are relaxing.

 

The meeting now ran at the pace of the military. Everyone was waiting for the Commanders to finish. After all, their input is the true reason they needed them here. One of the FAO member frustratedly asked.

“Commanders. What’s your view about this report?”

 

“Oh, yes. The hostiles. We have reviewed some of our options. We still don’t know their base but it can be assumed that their general direction is to the east of our position. If they were to land on our east coast for invasion, they will have to pass through the Autumn Road to get inland. As you all know, our original eastern border is made up of the Peter mountain range. The summoning of our state to the New World placed these mountains at the edge of the sea. Our scouts discovered large churns of rock broke off from the mountains and fell into the sea. This created a very dangerous coast with sunken rocks. It doesn’t matter if they have wooden or metal ship. No ship is safe. Even if they manage to make landing, their troops will meet the many outposts on the Peter. Their movement on the mountain range will unquestionably be slowed down by the terrain. We will have the initiative to deploy defense long before they can pass through the mountain. Return to the Autumn Road, the only way from there to the center of our state has 2 major obstacles, the Autumn Pass and the Barbardin Fort. Judging by the information here, we are fully confident that they will not break through our defense.”

 

“Could you explain the reason for your confidence, sir?”

 

“The Autumn Pass and the Barbardin Fort are highly fortified locations which have received increased budget for renovation to counter Caroline-class units. Even the ogre in the report wouldn’t make a dense to our gate. Since there is no mention of siege weapon, I can only assume they have something the level of battering ram but that will require them to strike our gate continuously for days to have visible damage. The other options for our enemies will be using the skywalkers or trying to flank our position from the sides. About these limbless creatures described by the COs (Communicator Officer), I am not impressed. They are too small. Since they didn’t even attack when within 500 m, it is possible their attack range is shorter than 500. Our bolts and arrows will make short work of them. For flanking, we have those mentioned outposts everywhere on the Peter to spot their movement. They won’t get on top of us.”

 

“Would that be alright to underestimate our foes, sir?”

 

“It’s not underestimation.” The 1st Commander joined the conversation. “We read that the Ogre has bragged about an army of 100 000 goblins, 20 000 lords and 5000 orcs. Of these number, the only problem when it turns to melee will be the orcs but I doubt they will group them up like that. The COs made great observation and I trust their conclusion that the orcs were field commanders of the lesser goblins. By ratio, a group of 5000 goblins will only have 250 orcs but it probably won’t be that high. Since the ogre talked about them like the elite troop, it is likely most of the orcs will be concentrated in their main camp and only 100 orcs will accompany the 5000-goblin group pushing the ratio down to 50:1. We have already gotten a general idea on what doctrines and tactics to use against them. Thanks to the homing enchantment of the bows, we have gathered a selected group of sharpshooters to eliminate high-profile targets such as these orcs even in the mid of chaos.”

 

“Then the only issue is the ogres.” Mufusa remarked. “If we take the Ogre’s words, it’s entirely possible it is just a commander of that fleet. We may face many more ogres or threats above the ogres.”

 

“We have also deducted the same thing.” The 3rd Army Commander replied. “Considering the size of those galleons, the body size of the goblin and the orc as well as their number ratio, their crew may be 200 to 250 per ship. We estimate the 120-ship fleet have around 24 000 to 30 000 in total. Half of their ships were destroyed last battle so assume 12000 dead, they still have at least 12000. Using the total 125 000 the Ogre mentioned, I will put an estimation of 140 000 or may be more. If one Ogre controls 24 000, we can expect to see 6 more ogres. Individually they are a force to be reckoned but we do have countermeasure for them.”

 

“You mean the new weapon?” Considering the implication and the news flowing recently, this was the only connection Henson can make.

 

“Oh, yes. The expert we hired from the Land and the foreign engineer that happened to take refuge in our state appeared to be quite resourceful. From what I can see the so-call new weapon is primitive to their liking but I must assert that I like its usefulness quite well especially when we are strained in the New World.” The 3rd Commander’s expression livened up at the mention of the weapon.

 

“Then you believe this new weapon can kill the ogre?” The old Chancellor asked.

 

“The 2nd Commander have conducted experiment and practiced on it lately. He can fill you up with the result. I have just managed to see it in action once. Remarkable performance!”

 

The attention was gathered at the 2nd Commander who promptly shared his knowledge.

“The new weapon is actually a ballista made from the main materials of the crossbows with extensive enchantments from the Land. It eats up to 15 people worth of stamina just to shoot it once but the bolt is strong enough to pierce through 2m of brick. I have trained a group of 300 just to operate this weapon. At the moment, we only have one being transported to Fort Barbardin but the second one is being made. Three more are scheduled to be complete at the end of this month.”

 

“You said the bolt pierces ‘through’ 2m of brick? Is that the reinforced brick?” Henson straightened his back.

 

“Yes, Chancellor.”

 

When carrying out tests on Caroline, the 2m reinforced brick is among the few targets that Caroline didn’t smash through in one hit. The result of this test became the lower end of the Caroline-class unit. Back to the main point, the fact that these bolts made it through the brick wall means two thing. First, Teroku now possess for the first time a weapon that is more destructive than a punch from Caroline. Second, the bolt is strong enough to withstand the force of that destructive power.

“Who made those bolts?”

 

“A master bladesmith from the Land.”

 

“Have you brought those bolts to Chancellor Temona or Chancellor Yokka for investigation?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then do it now.”

 

If it is a product of a master craftsman, chances are only that master can make it. However, there should be something they can learn from that masterful item. Tracking the footstep of those who have succeeded is the fastest way to catch up with them.

 

“Henson, I think we sidetracked enough from the main discussion.” Mufusa reminded him. “Commanders. Assuming the East is secured, what would you do if the enemies try to scout up North or wander South?”

 

The 3rd Commander spotted a huge grin darkening the many cracks behind the tail of his eyes.

“Then my consolation to them. As you know we are having Caroline working on the shipyard construction up north. The boy himself dwarfs our military power and we also have a fifth of the army stationed there. They will block enemy advance while Caroline as the tip of our spear pierces their command. If they went down South then we have the Land acting as our shield. In case they attack our South coast, there is a series of barracks we made the last few years there to delay them. In that situation, I would advise we ask for reinforcement from the nearby Land to break the enemy, preferably the two ships we are currently in contract with.”

 

The 3rd Commander’s optimism left a distasteful bit in Mufusa’s mouth. When the State declared its resolution of employing people from the Land into some of the major fields such as military and magic, there were, of course, objections. These individuals have banded together into a small group. In general, they felt that the government has allowed these strangers in too deep. Knowing the history of their State being the small that is not afraid of the bigger Powers, they considered the government’s action as surrendering the homeland to outsiders. While the group have stayed hidden and yet to make any move, the secret agents are keeping their eyes and talons opened.

 

Mufusa, while not affiliated with that group, understands their sentiment. He too does not like this idea of relying on foreigners. As long as the situation doesn’t call for, he believed it’s best to not rely on foreign power. During the past few months, Erwin and Temona tried to ease up the restriction. Yokka also partially agreed with establishing a foreigner’s district inside their territory to encourage culture and technology exchange, to which Mufusa played the dissenter.

 

He has thought about it long and hard, weighing his pride and patriotism against the benefit of the open policy. He did think that perhaps it’s time for him to retire at the age of 81. Perhaps the benefit of his experience can no longer offset the penalty of his stubbornness. Perhaps in the long run he will be the one who hampers the country’s growth.

 

No. He can’t give ground. The State can’t give ground to those blatant liars who stated they came with honesty but lied their way to take advantage of the situation. The nation still requires a conservatist in its House of Overseer.

 

“Thank you for your analysis. I only have one tiny question left.” All gazes were garnered at Mufusa. They seemed to know what he was about to ask. Honestly, they too wanted to ask this question and one of the agendas for today meeting is also about it. “In a what-if scenario, if these two ships are hostile to our state, what would you do?”

 

The conference room was in absolute silent. Unlike many nations whose military and authorities would make the far-fetched claim that they have solution for everything or state they would fight to the dead for their country, Teroku’s approach is realism and they don’t make irrelevant statement to each other at the high government.

 

“I understand your question but just to be sure I will rephrase it. Feel free to correct me if need to. By asking “what would I do?” You imply that there will be no diplomacy in this situation. Also, by saying they are “hostile to our state”, you mean they would commit to genocide indiscriminately any Teroku’s person even if we surrender.” After each sentence, the 3rd Commander paused a moment, but Mufusa made no word to correct him. The entire time, the two of them kept their eye contact. In a different context, people would have mistaken them for having a staring contest.

 

“There is only one thing to do. We will pull back all of our forces for a total assault surrounding them from every direction. If Caroline would agree to join with us, he will be our only shot at winning. The tactic remains the same either way. Everyone will run toward the target. I am skeptical our range weapon can do anything to them considering they have shield on their ship, so we will have to get in melee range and see if this shield allows human’s entry or not. Most of our force will be folders so conscription from the age of 12 is advisable. Younger than this age are better suit as the new workforce of our state if we manage to survive this bloodbath or they can be slaughtered with the rest in case we lose. Even if they join, they will just slow us down or cause complication to our formation during the assault.”

 

The 3rd Commander then opened his personal map and pointed at many different location that would be suitable for such grand mobilization. He then looked at Mufusa.

“I will not comment on what would be the aftermath, but I will be welcoming you at the frontline for that final push.”

 

There was nothing friendly in his tune. He was dead serious. The scenario he depicted is a dead end for the State. It is the Commander’s remark that the fate of their nation is not in military power, but on the hands of those who conduct their diplomacy. Whatever they had to do, they must avoid making enemies they can’t win.

 


The same time.

Northwest of Teroku’s capital, the soon-to-be Wyrmsking shipyard.

 

“Everyone takes a break! It’s lunch time!”

 

“Time for break!”

 

“Let’s go!”

 

“Caroline! Leave them!”

 

The brunet carefully laid down the massive wooden pillar before joining his coworkers. Standing beside the Terokene (Teroku people), he is clearly shorter than the average men though not much. His chin-length hair was neatly tied into ponytail. His top-naked body spotted a lean belly with very toned muscle. There is almost no trace of fat.

 

Seeing him working no matter how many times makes people feel unreal. It is like seeing an ant carrying a large leaf. From a far you only see the leaf moving while the small ant was covered by the leaf it is carrying. It is the same thing when he lifted those logs for his coworkers to work on.

 

Caroline was allocated here to work as a punishment for attacking the presentative of the Land (chapter 1) but that is just the surface. Those know Caroline well-enough probably laughed their guts out. It’s like a group of mice ordering a large python around. Caroline could just decline and Teroku wouldn’t be able to do anything except begging. Caroline, however, did say he would take responsible. Beside he wanted to use this opportunity to test and improve his strength.

 

I am much stronger than I used to be. He thought to himself. The first time he opened his eyes in Teroku he looked like a 17, may be 16. During his previous life his body didn’t change much since he was young so in this new life there is barely any difference from his former 16-year-old self except for a lighter skin, the absence of scars, and a less defined face and body. At that time when he first in Teroku, he was weak, as weak as a normal man. It did not take long for him to reclaim the strength of his prime and surpass it. He still could not explain this unnatural growth.

 

It is a welcoming sign but what is strength without testing it? In his previous life, he was neck to neck with his rival and dearest friend. It was fun. A deadly assassin from the west and the most powerful warrior from the east. He met someone as strong, and had the same eyes as him, the eyes of dullness, of a purposeless life. Their rivalry is the answer they sought for so long. Finally, their life was not meaningless. There was a reason for them to continue moving forward, to work hard, and to share the joy of reaping the reward with each other.

 

Now living in a new world without those understand him, stand beside him, and walk the path with him, he has returned to that miserable period in the past. One year he spent to explore the State of Teroku. His quest for companionship was in vain. When he decided to depart for another country, he met them, denizens of a different world brought to the New World, the three-head beast, the pointy-ear boy and that woman in leather armor.

 

They emitted a blackish air which he encountered many times in the past life and instinctively recognized as ‘yin ki’. According to his rival’s culture, everything emits different amount of ‘ki’ and ‘ki’ can be ‘yin’ or ‘yang’. Thing that emits a lot of yang ki usually have some of these characteristics: life, warmth, brightness… On the contrary, yin is the opposite of yang.

 

Dealing with death as his occupation, Caroline has this yin ki up to a degree but being a living man, his ki is mainly yang, only has more yin than normal people. In comparison to him, these three have an inhuman amount of yin. During his previous life, he has only met two other beings above this magnitude of yin and they are extremely powerful even stronger than him and his rival put together. It was excited for Caroline. Finally, he met someone to test his new strength.

 

Disregard the situation, he asked for a fight and was accepted. Among the four, one of them is just a normal human, the beast appeared to not be the type that wants to involve in needless fight and the boy simply obeyed the woman. By her stance, Caroline concluded she is a frontal fighter, the kind that stands her ground. Such similarity! As if he saw his former rival. The perfect opponent he wants to trade fist against.

 

Now an attack, what kind of attack should he use? Probe around and strike at her blind spot? Feint an assault to aim for her vital? Or just simply use his speed to overwhelm her? The last one seems good.

 

NO.

 

No. No. No.

No!

 

He came for a test of strength. There is no need for calculation. This is not a job. He wanted to make use of his full might and saw how well his opponent fare against it. He took a run-up, increased his speed as fast as he can toward his opponent.

 

To those with super-human power, there is a limit on how strong their punch can be. This very limit is the friction force between their feet and the ground. To explain it, imagine you stand on a slippery floor. If you can still stand upright after throwing the punch, you may notice you have been pushed back. To propel your fist from a motionless position and come forward, a force equals in magnitude and opposite in direction is exerted to your body. On a slippery floor, the friction force between your feet and the ground that keeps the body in place is reduced. Without friction, your fist barely moves that fast toward the target since your body is moving backward to equalize the equation.

 

To overcome this problem, there is two ways. One is to grab and hold the target while the other hand starts punching. The second way can only mitigate this weakness but it does not require you to catch the target. It is to accelerate. The momentum forward will make the body much harder to be pushed back when the fist is thrown. It is now momentum & friction in comparison to just the friction when you punch while standing stationary.

 

There is, however, a drawback. An experienced opponent can pinpoint the exact number of steps Caroline will be taking, the precise place Caroline will be before he could pull a punch. In short, they will be well-prepared long before the event takes place. It may be better to mix in some zig-zag steps to mess up their calculation, but Caroline did not care for that he wanted to go all out. Whatever would happen, he would think later.

 

The madam has already been ready when he was 10-step away. She had a gentle smile, and she stood her ground. Maybe she thought he was a brave fool. This naiveness, this innocence, this honesty, she has decided to accept.

 

Caroline was moving at the top of his speed. He was in the perfect form, position, and location to execute the best punch. Unbelievable when their fists collided, he was the only one being pushed back. This unnatural feeling blanked his mind for a moment. His throbbing right hand soon pulled him back to reality. What he could describe at that time is he just punched something incredibly hard and heavy.

 

Is this what it feels like to punch a mountain made of diamond? No. Diamond shouldn’t be this hard. The thought echoed in his head. He looked at his opponent whose smile has turned into a delighted grin. Before he could think of what to do next, the Terokene captain yelled at him loudly to back down. He didn’t want to stop just yet, but this weird feeling discouraged him. How could he be the one being pushed back?

 

For several weeks, he has been gaining strength then using the opportunity at this construction site to refine control over his strength. Caroline will be ready for the continuation in the near future.

 

The same day. Dawn Beacon’s outskirt.

 

A short figure walked back and forward on the dirt track. Often, he made a long sigh looking at the far south. He has delayed this for weeks, he couldn’t postpone it anymore. Well, he could but his conscience won’t let him sleep at night. His frail body leaned on the aged cane and just like that he made haste to the depth of the forest. Every step closer to his destination his stomach burned hotter and his step got heavier. Yet his quickened heart kept his feet on speed. He used to walk this path many times but it has never been this hard.

 

He was short on breath and his sweat quickly covered his face. He wiped the face with his sleeve, his eyes never left the track. Soon a wooden hut slowly appeared at far sight just as he always remembered. This is it. The moment he knocked on that door, it would begin. He shakingly formed a fist in front of the door.

 

Knock. Knock.

 

It is unknown if it’s because the forest was quiet or because he was nervous but the knock rang much louder than often, although he only put the bare minimum to make a sound. He didn’t have to wait for long. Without any footstep, the door gently opened just like every time. Greeting him is a dark-skin elf who was lowering his head. It was Kivyan. He quickly bowed his head in return. The silent boy opened the door wide welcoming his arrival. He timidly made his entrance.

 

“Welcome Huro.” Feron greeted him from the makeshift wall in the back. “It has been a while.”

 

She gestured him to take a seat on the wooden chair which he obeyed. All the sweating from the anxiety he endured during the entire way made him look like a sewage rat recently got out of the water. Been minutes since he sat down yet he still haven’t said anything back to Feron. His eyes glued to his knees. He was shaking in cold sweat.

 

Huro wanted to say something but the words were stuck in his throat. Feron let Kivyan know to wait outside. Without a sound, there is now only two people in the hut.

“Take your time. I will stay here with you till you feel better.”

 

The words that have been choked in his mouth felt so painful. Whatever he couldn’t say now turned into tear. Finally, he uttered the words.

“Sorry… I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry…” His hands gripped on the knees as he hunched over. “I’m a coward… I’m so sorry…” He kept crying like child and the kind Feron put a hand on his small shoulder.

 

It took a while for him to ready to talk.

“I’m sorry. It was all my fault. I am a coward. I should have truthfully let you know about our food stock.”

 

Backtrack to the time they were transported to the New World. Afraid that they would be left to starve, Huro lied to everyone that they will soon have a major food shortage. Being the chief of the town and the only one who knows exactly the total food in storage, it was not easy for people to find out. With this false knowledge, the presentative set out to Teroku.

 

Then madam Feron as well as the 3 masters came and talked to every chiefs of the various tribes across the land asking them to let the townspeople have any food they can spare. Not only the many people of the Land gifted Dawn Beacon food, some even allowed them to hunt in their land and shoreline.

 

Having received the generosity of the native folks, chief William have had to be straightforward with the visiting chancellor, Erwin. Erwin’s suggestion of constructing facilities to accommodate Terokene students’ stay and workshops to make craftworks for Teroku were all turned down. While William was careful with his words, he knew full well this will sound badly when Erwin reported it back.

 

For Huro, he felt guilty for deceiving everyone, but he was too coward to admit it. Thing would have stayed in the dark if his security chief, William, didn’t decided to do the tally. William must have suspected it at the time but didn’t think Huro would have lied about it. He was livid and berated Huro badly after that. If Huro is not 96 that year, William would have beat him to a pulp.

 

“DO YOU KNOW WHAT MADAM FERON HAVE SAID TO THEM? SHE SAID THAT OUR RELATIONS WITH THEM WILL BE BASED ON HONESTY. WHAT YOU DID SPREAD MUD ON HER FACE!”

 

William’s words haunted him every night. Huro and his father were previously refugees. They left their birthplace due to a great drought. For years they moved from one human kingdom to the next living as beggars. When he was struck with a deadly illness, it was Feron who cured him. She even brought them to this town, a haven on earth. They are forever indebted to her. To think that he would smear dirt on her face, there is no word he could use to describe this sin.

 

“As you know, ma’am. Me and my father left our home due to a drought. I can still recall the memory. It was days since I had anything to eat. My father held my lifeless body as I could only move my eyes. I saw the body of my childhood friend who was just skin and bone. I was scared. I was scared I would become like her too. I can imagine the sound of those flies rubbing their legs as they landed on my body. I want to shoo them away but I couldn’t. I was too weak, I couldn’t… I have never… wanted to lie to everybody… but I couldn’t… I was scared… I don’t…”

 

“Cry a little more if that makes you feel better.”

 

In the end, she forgave Huro much to the latter’s gratefulness. Looking at the back of Huro who was happily going home, Feron put on a slight smile. Seeing as the joy lifted his step so high it felt like he was 50 years younger, she for a moment envied the mortal man. Time corrodes all. Even if her outer appearance stays the same, she is less than she once was. Eras ago, people would have said she wore her heart on the outside. Who would have thought that same girl now had to put on this doll-like expression to communicate with her own fellow humans.

“Feeling is the stuff of luxury.” As one immortal would say to another.

 

She turned to Kivyan. He gazed back at her as expressionless as always. The ends of her mouth lifted up as she recalled the last string attaches her to the living world.

“Let’s go for a walk, Kivyan.”

 

Even if she didn’t say anything, Kivyan would have followed her like a shadow to an object but today she was on a mood to express more emotion than normal.

 

 

Announcement
2nd edn

Fixed a lot of grammar mistakes.

0