Chapter 10 Algar
215 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walked for 3 day barely eating anything at all until I reached the town. Dirty and battered from the fight and journey I was stopped at the gate. I was still carrying Shelby on my back. I had to throw the blanket in the middle of the journey and she was burning with a fever.

“Stop. We don’t accept beggars in the city.”

“I’m not a beggar. Devils have come from the forest and attacked our Dewcorn village. We came to warn the town and ask for help. We’re the only survivors as far as I know. We need to get through and tell the marcher lord or the guard captain.” I pleaded at the gate guard.

“We don’t need any more vagrants now get out before—“

“Quiet. I know that boy. He comes here to sell vegetables every summer. Let him through I’ll take him to the captain.” Thankfully Gregor recognized me. I chatted with him every time I came to sell my families’ corn at the market.

I was able to drop Shelby off at the church where after a quick rundown of the situation a priest agreed to use her magic to heal her so I could speak to the captain in haste.

He took me straight to the captain at the town barracks. There a tall man was practicing stabbing his spear into a hay dummy in the shape of a person. He was a fat man, but not the type of fat a lazy merchant would have. His fat covered his strong muscles that were proof of his years of training and abnormal strength.

He gazed at Gregor questioningly then at me and asked “what happened? Who is the boy?”

Before Gregor spoke I told him “My name is Algar sir. I come from Dewcorn Village a few days ago we were attacked by some devils. They were the size of children but were hideous and brutal. They attacked during the night a few days ago; I managed to escape to save my injured friend. But I came here to warn you about these monsters and to ask for help subjugating them.” I earnestly told him a summary of what happened to our village hoping to get some men to help me kill those things.

“Dewcorn fell to some monsters you say? How terrible I’ll have to ask the marcher lord if he is willing to send soldiers and guards. If you have the coin you can hire a few mercenaries at the guild to help you but that would be expensive. I don’t think you have that much coin on you, boy.”

“I’ll talk to the lord ask to stay in the church for now and ill speak to you when the lord gives his order.”

It was the answer I expected so I went back to the church of Vera where I left Shelby. They gave me some food and a bed in the servants’ quarter. As soon as I lay down I collapsed in exhaustion. My nightmares were the same as they had been for the past days.

Endless slaughter brought about by those creatures. The faces of my parents I abandoned, my friends, Shelby’s mom and dad with crushed heads. Eerie voices came from all of them. Without moving their mouths they would ask me why I left them. Why I abandoned them to save myself.

In the end the only real sound coming from my room was my quiet sobbing as I apologized to the void for not being strong enough to save the ones I love.

I slept for an entire day after finally getting proper rest in a safe place. I ate as much as I could in the morning to regain the strength I lost during the journey due to lack of food and rest.

Another day went by were I did nothing but rest and eat.

Finally on the third evening the captain came to the church and spoke to me.

“We are going to your village Algar. I’m taking 30 men armed with bows and spears to take it back. You’re going to guide us. We depart by horse come sunrise.”

“S-sir I just… I need some weapons too. I’m not going to let those bastards off.”

“HAHAHA you’ve got spirit boy alright ill provide you with a spear, shield, bow and some arrows. Be ready at dawn so we can ride. You said these are new monsters so we have to take a priest scribe to record these creatures. So be at the gates an hour after dawn.”

 


 

The next day I woke up at dawn. Before leaving I had one last thing to do.

I walked toward Shelby’s room and sat outside. “Listen Shelby I always wanted to marry you, but I can’t right now… not anymore. Get yourself a good man. I have something to do and I can no longer spend my life to be a good husband. I wish you the best. The next time we see each other I just hope you find your own happiness.” Without another word I left not bothering to know if she heard me or responded.

I have to end the devils. If I ever do anything else it will only be after I end all the devils.

We’re finally at my village. We have 32 people for this operation: the captain, 29 guards, the priest and me. I go with some of the 4 of the scouts showing them the best places to hide around the village to get a good look. There are about 150 of the fuckers.

We go back and inform the group. We decide to shoot them from afar and use our spears when they get close. We all get into position. I have 15 arrows in my quiver and while I’m not great with the bow I have shot before. I take aim along with everyone else and we let lose the first volley. Only 3 of the creatures fall.

We aim and shoot again, they’re closer this time. Five of them go down. We have one more shot before the melee. I take a deep breath I calm my nerves and grit my determination. I pull as far as I can. We get the signal and release one last time. We take our spears and get ready for the melee. We are better prepared, better equipped, and better trained compared to when they attacked my village.

I look at them fury in my eyes. I thrust my spear just as the first one comes into my range. Piercing his ribcage I pull my spear to get ready to thrust again.

I barely manage to dislodge my spear when I see one got in range to use his club. He is way too close to use my spear. I block with my shield. Then kick at him with my back foot taking one step forward.

I hit him but he was able to roll with the kick and did not break any bones. I punched forward with shield and hit him in his arms. I could hear the screams and the chaos of battle raging all around. The only screams that matter right now are the screams of the devil with broken arms in front of me.

I slash at his head with my spear using it almost like a hammer. The creature’s bones are not harder than the club. Brain matter covers the spear as I look to my next target. One of the guards is surrounded by 3 of the creatures. I pull back my arms and launch my spear at the one behind the guard. The spear pierces his stomach, it is impossible to pull out without killing the devil. I run over and use the edge of the shield to hit it in the nape of the neck rendering it immobile. The guard takes care of the remaining devil.

I pick up one of the clubs made of a thick branch of wood with a strange handle. I use that and hit any of the devils I find. My fighting becomes methodical. I bash them with the shield, kick at the chest then end them with the club ending with a step forward after the kick.

I fight and keep fighting until before I realize it there are no more enemies to slay in my surroundings.

The adrenaline wears off and I can’t help but fall on the ground. The multiple injuries I have in my arms and legs from being clubbed repeatedly finally show themselves. The priest casts his magic without stopping to mend our most grievous of injuries.

After 2 hours of rough breathing and having our injuries mended. We stand up and go to the center of the village. We see many partially eaten men. What horrifies us is there are no women left in the village. Not one either dead or alive. They took them somewhere and the tracks lead to the forest. Looks like we need to ride back to town and get more men.

My revenge will have to wait longer. I guess I was naïve. Even with all I said to Shelby I was hoping to end my quest for revenge in this battle. It’s fine to wait though. Even if I have to spend my entire life hunting these devils down I am more than willing. At the end of the day the only thing I have left is time and I won’t waste it. I will learn to hunt and kill these creatures when I’m not fighting them.

Just as I’m thinking of this the priest is horror struck at the calamity that befell the village. He goes to the center of the group and starts telling us…

10