1. Sleepover Plans
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are you sure it's okay for me to sleep over today? I really can make it through the night by myself."

"It's fine! I know you don't like being alone. She'll be back tomorrow morning anyway."

"Well... Alright then."

We walked towards the school gate in comfortable silence. It never got boring walking through that immense, beautiful, and well-maintained front garden of our school. I thought that Risa was admiring its beauty along with me until she said, "You know... It really IS odd that you have an aunt that close to your family."

My mood dampened. Everyone said the same thing. The only difference was that Risa said it to my face. "It's just uncommon... I don't believe that I'm the ONLY one that has a close relative."

"Mia, how many times must I say that it's HOW close she is. She even has a say in whether you could have friends over! Isn't that, like, something for your parents to decide? Hell, some parents don't even give a-"

"Okay okay. Do we have to go through the same conversation again?" 

I believe Risa heard the weariness in my voice, because she let the topic go. "... I've said my piece. You know I'm just worried for you." She used one arm to give me a brief but tight hug.

I knew that she was sincere. It helped me tolerate her nagging. I sighed. "And like I always say, once you meet my family, AND my aunt, you'll understand that they're really nice! We just can't leave my aunt out." 

"I'll withhold my judgement till I see them for myself." She still sounded dubious. There was a stubbornness in her eyes that I knew I could not fight against.

I shrugged then joked, "Okay, mom."

She punched me lightly in my arm. "Don't make me a mom, I'm too young." A little smile tugged onto the corners of her lips now.

I smiled cheekily and teased, "I think you're ready to be one though. You're naggy enough."

She raised her hand up high. I knew that she was going to smack me on my head again. I pointed at her hand and exclaimed, "See? You're strict enough too! See you later, mom!" I dashed off before she could hit me again. Years of sports and months of running away from people gave me the advantage. There was no way she could catch up to me. I headed home with a spring in my step. This was my first sleepover in a long long time, so I wanted to make this fun and unforgettable. Lucky for me, her parents were only flying away again at night. It gave me time to prepare my home and my family for her arrival.

 

For all the excitement that filled my being on the way home, I did not understand the growing unease in my heart. I stood at my doorstep in silence. My skin tingled and my heart raced. It felt like I was doing something utterly wrong. 

I'm just nervous. I tried to comfort myself. I took a deep breath then opened the door with renewed enthusiasm. 

"I'm home!" I cheerfully announced.

A woman with a kind, warm, and welcoming air walked out of the kitchen. Wrinkles that were almost indiscernible revealed themselves with the bright smile she always gave me. "Welcome back! How's school today?" 

"Fine as usual. You're already cooking? It's still kind of early."

"Mm." She nodded. "I had nothing better to do after all."

"Frida and Trina aren't home yet?"

"Nope. They're still having club activities. Is there something on?"

"Yup! I have an announcement to make later." I rubbed my palms together and looked as sneaky as I could. 

My mother's laughter filled the house with more warmth. "They'll be home for dinner. Daddy as well."

"Okay!" I was running up the stairs when my mother suddenly called my name. I stopped and turned around to face her.

"You're more happy than usual today. It's about something good, isn't it?" There was a knowing look in my mother's eyes. I was always mischievous and upbeat at home. I tried to behave no different but she could still tell. Well, I should not be surprised. She has always been observant.

Since she asked, I could not hold myself back any longer and blurted out the news, "A friend's coming over later! Not just that, it's a sleepover~!" I was almost squealing by the end of my sentence.

The gentle smile on my mother's face froze for a split second. My heart skipped a beat. 

Why? I wondered to myself. It was so brief that I would have doubted my eyes if I did not trust my heart. Does she not like it? 

"Does your aunt know?" Worry now filled her eyes. Her tone was so light and gentle as if she was afraid the question would hurt me.

"... I... Haven't updated her yet."

"Are you going to?" My mother asked still being as careful as ever.

I thought about it for a while but I could not make up my mind. "I don't know. She's coming back tomorrow morning anyway. It doesn't feel like I have to... ... ... I'll think about it."

My mother walked up the stairs then took me in her loving arms. She softly apologised against the top of my head, "Sorry, I ruined your mood. Tell me more about your friend later when everyone's home. Oh, will your friend not be joining us for dinner?"

I shook my head. "She's coming after. Her parents are only leaving at night."

"Okay. Let's prepare for the sleepover together and make this a memorable night!" She squeezed my hands tightly. Her smile was as bright as the sun again. My nerves settled. 

We spent the next two hours preparing the guest room. We spruced it up, put in snacks and drinks, more pillows and blankets, made sure Netflix and all the other channels were working, and many more. There was no way this would not be the perfect sleepover. 

Before I knew it, I heard different voices travelling up the stairs and into the room we were in. "We're home!" 

"Dinnertime!" I yelled excitedly, dragging my mother down to the first floor with me. I quickly settled everyone down in their seats. 

"Is everyone eating today?" Our helper asked me politely, keeping her gaze on the ground. 

"Yup! Please." I signaled to her that she could begin serving. 

"Everyone, there's a change of plans. My friend, Risa, will be coming over later for a sleepover!" I announced while our helper was still setting the dishes on the table. 

Everyone, except my mother, froze like she did earlier. They asked the same question too. "Did you let your aunt know yet?" 

"... No. Why're you all acting like this?" It felt like cold water was poured all over me. All this talk about my aunt was starting to feel annoying. Before I gave them the chance to explain themselves, I said, "You know what? I'm NOT going to inform her. I don't want to!"

Everyone sat in stunned silence. Suddenly, bright smiles filled their faces. It was like they have not heard anything better before. "Mm! It's okay, there's no need to tell."

I blinked blankly. What was that tension from before? Did I just imagine it? 

"What do you have planned? Need any advice?" Frida teased me with a wink. She had plenty of sleepovers. 

"Pssh. No." I replied by instinct.

"Can I maybe join in?" Timid Trina gingerly asked with a sparkle in her eyes.

I smiled adoringly and indulged in her request. "Why not?"

"Tell us more about your friend, Risa." My mother prompted me. So, I did.

0