Chapter 10: Death Is Easy
257 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing up slowly, 15 took a deep breath, closing his eyes. The cold night air blew against his face, the leaves above rustling gently. The end was near and the only thing he could do now was take as many of these creatures down with him.

 

With his mind focused, he heard a twig snap above a nearby tree. 15's eyes snapped open as he ran to the tree's trunk, it was as thick as three men's waists.

 

Winding up his powerful fist, he struck the tree with a mighty punch. On contact, his fist sunk into the tree and came out the other side throwing splinters into the air.

 

Up above were the startled croaks of the creature who ravaged 21.

 

With another punch, 15 had already taken away two thirds of the tree's trunk, it began tilting to the side, it's remaining foundation groaning under the weight.

 

Moving out of the way, the tree began to fall. 15, watching with his cold green eyes looked intently for any sign of the creature.

 

As the tree fell, there was another loud screech from the creature. It leapt out from the branches towards 15 howling with it's terrible voice.

 

15's hand readied at his side with his longsword, his stern expression showing no emotion. He was waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

 

Just as the creature had entered within reach of his sword, he heard a rustle from behind. A quick glance showed two more creatures pouncing towards him from behind.

 

15 smiled. "A normal man would have already panicked, his thoughts quickly thinking of any solution for escape, to suffer the least harm... but I'm already dead!"

 

His pupils turned into dots as he struck with his sword, with his powerful rage fueled strength behind it, the sword easily tore it's way right through the green creature.

 

From it's pelvis to it's head, it was split in two. It's black rotted blood splashing against 15's face.

 

Behind, 15 felt two powerful impacts against his back, he stumbled forward a step but his towering body stood firm once again.

 

Before he had time to blink, the two green creatures on his back had already sunk their fangs into his thick neck which had ballooned with muscle after he activated his 'Rage' skill.

 

They both tore a huge chuck of flesh away causing his blood to spray in the air. Even with muscle in the way, the neck was still one of most fragile areas of the body, 15 knew these were fatal wounds.

 

Reaching back he caught the creatures off guard who were happily feasting on him. Grabbing them both by the neck he raised them into the air.

 

Their lanky arms gripping his tightly attempting to free themselves but it was fruitless, 15 strength was overpowering.

 

Just as he was about to crush the creatures flimsy necks, he saw something flicker in the darkness of the forest and then there was nothing.

 

15 felt himself fading, a familiar feeling of losing consciousness. This time however was different, 15 felt that he would never again awaken.

 

Memories of his past flooded his mind but they passed by quickly, one in particular though held firm in his mind stubbornly, one that had haunted him every time he closed his eyes.

 

"Father?" A worried voice called out to him, one of a young girl no more than five years of age. Looking down, 15 saw his daughter clutching his leg tightly. With auburn hair tied in pigtails, a white dress with yellow flowers and pure green eyes, she was one of the most precious things in his life.

 

"Hehehe... thinking you can mess with us just because you got a skill? You think you're invincible? Heh! forget it! We know about your weakness and that you've used it. Now it's time for you to pay for interfering our little operation here." 

 

Across from him was a man in red leather armor, an awful smirk stretched widely across his face. At least 8 more of his ilk surrounding him, their eyes filled with cruel lights.

 

15 pulled the little girl behind him and shouted. "Leave or face the consequences.. "

 

The smirking man chuckled loudly, his cronies joining in.

 

"Gerald, you must be kidding. How can I leave without giving you a gift?" The smirking man opened a bulging sack on his waist and pulled something out.

 

"Mother?" His daughter's frail voice echoed in his ears.

 

A shock flashed in Gerald's mind like a lightening bolt, in the smirking man's hand was the head of his wife. A warped expression of fear and pain on her beautiful face.

 

The smirking man's expression finally changed to a cold one. "Don't worry, she suffered before her death. Soon though, you will join her. Even your pretty girl right there will have a taste.. "

 

In the next moment Gerald relived his most tormenting experience.

 

With his mind clouded by and endless fury over what happened to his beloved, his skill activated by itself even though he was still in a recovery period and after that he could not remember.

 

It was only when he regained consciousness once again that he saw what he had done.

 

Around him was the bloodied corpses of the men who killed his wife, his house behind him was in ruins. With the pain of his broken body assailing his senses, he quickly shouted. "Aura!"

 

There was no answer but silence.

 

As he desperately looked around, something finally caught his eye. Absolute horror overcame him, the pain in his body was completely forgotten.

 

He crawled towards a nearby rock, what lay beside it was a lifeless figure.

 

Tears had already streaming from his blood painted face.

 

When he finally reached the figure he let out a howl, it was almost inhuman.

 

"No! No!! No! Please! Ahh!!"

 

He clutched the fragile girl in his arms, her beautiful green eyes forever closed. Her lower body had been twisted, her spine had been snapped by a tremendous force, blood staining her flowery dress. It was as if she had been run over by a carriage but Gerald knew that only his rage fueled strength could do this.

 

Biting his tongue until blood flowed, he screamed and cried out.

 

Gerald watched, almost like a passenger, he watched. He felt that despair clench deep within him, it was boiling.

 

He wanted to die right then until a voice called to him. A mysterious figure in a black robe, an obsidian crow mask covering his face, the leader of the crows.

 

The man said in a dry voice. "Death is easy, but do you deserve it? Live and suffer.. "

 

With but a sentence, the master of crows swayed him. Ever since he had lived in suffering, for his sins.

 

"Yes.. I should live, just a little longer.. That is what I deserve.. "

 

Back in the forest, Gerald had been standing still for but a few moments, an arrow pierced deeply into his eye. The green creatures still struggling, still held in his vice like grip.

 

"Ahhhhh!"

 

In the next moment, a loud roar which shook the forest left Gerald's throat. The light flickered back to life in his remaining eye as he thrust down with all his strength, the two creatures in his hand colliding violently into the ground with a bang.

 

The earth trembled as dust was thrust into the air.

 

Charlotte herself was startled. She felt a gaze land on her, even though she was covered by the dark of the night.

 

She prepared another arrow as she pulled the bowstring tight, her target hidden by the dust cloud.

 

When the dust faded, her eyes which could just see in the dark saw a tall figure standing silently. At his feet were the pulped remains of the ghouls, their corpses fitting nicely in two small craters. His remaining eye glaring at her but the light in it was all but gone.

 

Still, Charlotte let loose the arrow which struck the human directly in his heart. There was no reaction, only a faint sway before he fell on his back with a loud thud.

 

She sighed in relief before turning her gaze towards the direction 18 had fled. Behind her the rustling of bushes gave way to a group of skeletons.

 

"Go, help Marion. She should be slowing down that escapee.. " Charlotte said with a wave of her hand.

 

The lead skeleton nodded, the daggers stuck in its eyes making for a strange sight.

 

 

                                                                       ***********************

 

Deep in the forest, 18 was running as fast as her feet would allow. The pain in her leg was gradually worsening but it was in acceptable condition for the moment, it wouldn't become a real problem for a few hours yet. She thought it was best to gain as much ground as possible while she could.

 

"Achoo!" 18 Sneezed as her body shivered uncontrollably. She gripped the sides of her arms with each hand for warmth, though she thought it strange. She had been feeling cold for a while now and it had come completely out of nowhere.

 

"Ahhh!" A loud shout echoed in the forest, like the roar of a raging beast.

 

Hearing this 18 bit her lip. "15... "

 

Letting out a sigh, she continued on.

13