Chapter 26
65 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Of course, part of my deal with the three is allowing them to all absorb the lion type demon beast's demon core which would allow them to rise in their own cultivations and would allow them to rule over the area themselves. We have tried and failed many times now, but I am sure that if given the right opening, I could finish the lion type demon beast off with my strongest attack."

Hearing He Chao's explanation caused Wei Yan's heart to beat much faster as he finally began to understand everything. It is true that Wei Yan's cultivation was strong enough to hold such a domineering demon beast back, and if he were to return with such news to his superior, he would possibly be given a more comfortable job within the army and a hefty raise and bigger retirement pension.

"If I agree to these terms, I would also like to ask you to do one thing for me as well. And if you can-"

Before Wei Yan was able to finish his sentence, a huge killing intent collided with his body as cold sweat began running down his face. This sharp killing intent only on par with his superior had obviously come from He Chao!

"You would only agree to such good terms for your future prospects, if I were to also do one other thing? How about you just agree to do it because not only did I save your life once earlier, but because I will allow you to take all of the credit?"

Without saying a word, all Wei Yan could do was circulate the energy within his body to lighten the load which the killing intent caused him as he bowed slightly towards He Chao. Immediately after, He Chao lifted his killing intent and went back to skinning their dinner. "Where did such a monstrous child come from and how many battles did he have to live through to have such an overbearing killing intent?" Wei Yan thought to himself as he stood up to recompose himself.

The offer was a very fair offer that He Chao came up with, so it was not something that Wei Yan could argue with. The only issue was, without his and his companion demon beast's help, Wei Yan would find it to be extremely difficult to finish the mission that was assigned to him which would in of itself, potentially take away some of the potential benefits even if it would save many human lives in the process.

After pondering over these thoughts for some time, Wei Yan decided that he would just help He Chao and hope for the best outcome. It was not like he wanted to stay within the army, but if he were to be given a comfortable and non combat based position, there was no reason for him to outright leave as he thought from the beginning.

With the new position he would obtain, he could use it in order to potentially marry into a well established clan which would all but guarantee an above average wife and a nice future for his children. Not only that, but with that, he could also become an elder and continue his track of having a comfortable life within said clan once he were to retire from the army. This was a rather common practice, since the majority of soldiers were composed of commoners while clans would only send their least valuable clansmen.

The reason was simple, compared to the army, city guards were able to make a similar amount of gold and given a similar amount of resources to train. Not only that, but it was very rare for a city in a good location to be attacked even by a group of bandits. And so because they were already considered well established, the safer jobs would of course always go to the more fortunate to begin with.

However, the only positive in comparison in joining the actual army instead of a city guard, was that if given a high enough rank, one could be considered much more influential within the Commandery itself which was considered priceless. With a military fort in or outside every city and close to almost every village, if a general of the army wished to temporarily suppress an organization on the complete opposite side of the Commandery, it was still rather simple and swift.

The reason why Wei Yan felt he wanted to leave, was because compared to many others, he could be considered rather weak with a not very good physique or potential on the path of immortality. Fortunately for him, if he was able to use such a situation to his advantage while also being given all of the credit, his prospects would again rise considerably to the point where the army would allow him resources even if he was a cripple to reach a certain height in his cultivation.

As the group sat down for their dinner, Wei Yan told He Chao and the three demon beasts that he would help them the next morning and just needed to know what the plan was and how to properly prepare. This did not surprise He Chao, but the three demon beasts, although unable to talk the human language, showed their appreciation in a similar way as they greeted He Chao earlier in the day when they arrived initially.

"So as I have mentioned, you will be sort of like a wall when facing the demon beast but you will not be alone, these three companions of mine will make sure to try and pin it down as it focuses on killing you first. To that old fool, we are nothing but trash in its eyes, but because you can stand toe to toe with it even though you are not very experienced in combat, it will try to remove you as the main threat first."

"During this time, I will be charging myself up to unleash my most powerful technique that can slay it in a single hit as long as it connects to its head. The only reason I have failed so many times now, is because it is slightly faster than I am, so with the additional help of keeping it pinned down in one spot, this is an almost guaranteed to work plan."

2