Chapter 19 – Questions
37 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jeanne: Demon slaves!?

Everyone was shocked. Lin was the only one who didn’t react and was curious about everybody else.

Hikai: I asked how long they had that agreement but the man said that he just inherited their slave trading business after his father died.

Jeanne: Died? Wait, how did his father die?

Hikai: He said that he just suddenly fell and died on the spot.

Jeanne: That’s all? Did he take him to a healer?

Hikai: Yes but he didn’t make it. Why are you asking this?

Jeanne: He’s dead.

Hikai: What?

Jeanne: The guy that we caught is dead.

Hikai: How did he die?

Jeanne: The same way that you just said, he suddenly died on the spot. He collapsed as we put him inside the prison and then he died.

Hikai: What? So now he’s dead just like his father? Then did you take a look at his body?

Jeanne: What? I didn’t look at it.

Hikai: I mean, did you know how he died?

Jeanne: Eh? Why do we need to check?

I looked toward Beatrix and she answered.

Beatrix: Unlike in our world, there isn’t really anyone who analyses people’s dead bodies so when someone dies no one really knows how that person died unless it was clearly seen.

Hikai: I see. Who’s in charge of disposing the body anyway?

Jeanne: Oscar, we currently only have a few guards on duty so they have to do a lot of work.

Hikai: Don’t you think that the city is defenseless?

Jeanne: Don’t worry about that. The castle is prepared for that. There is a bell that we use to inform the whole city so even if we only have a few guards on active guard duty, every single guard would know when something happens.

Hikai: How do you ring the bell?

Jeanne: I can’t tell you that.

Hikai: I understand. What did you guys talk to the King about? I mean, Princess Jeanne did leave.

Jeanne: Hmm?

Beatrix: Should I tell you?

Beatrix looked towards Kei and the others but they didn’t reply.

Beatrix: I guess I should warn at least you. There have been sightings of Demons around the port the same time that we left to capture the Slave Traders.

Hikai: What? Don’t Humans and Demons generally look the same?

Beatrix: Yeah so that means that they were using magic. Now why were they using Magic and what are they going to do?

Is it related to how that man died? Did a demon cast magic on him?

Hikai: Right and if your father has Demon slaves, where exactly is he keeping all of them?

Jeanne: More things to do then.

Hikai: I see so what we’ve learned is that the King is looking for Demon slaves and Demons have been sighted at the port around 3 or 4 days ago.

Beatrix: Oh and I don’t think that we can have this meeting tomorrow. The King asked us to patrol around the city since there have been Demon sightings around the city.

Hikai: No meeting tomorrow, got it.

Beatrix: Right, well then we have to go now. Since only a few guards are on active duty right now the King asked us to patrol today as well.

The four of them stood up and left the room. Only Lin, Princess Jeanne and I were left inside.

Jeanne: So my father is looking for Demon Slaves. What should I do?

I was silent as Princess Jeanne mulled over.

Jeanne: I’ve decided, I shall confront father about this. I will tell you the details at another time.

Princess Jeanne left the room and didn’t wait for my reply. Lin and I were left inside the room so we exited and went towards Oscar.

Oscar: So you’re done already?

Hikai: Yeah they had to go on patrol since only a few guards were on duty.

Oscar: Seriously, I still have half a day to go.

Hikai: I heard that you were in charge of that dead guy.

Oscar: Yeah, I was told he died this morning so I had to bring him out. We usually burn bodies on a certain place since if we don’t, they could turn into undead but I didn’t have time so it’s still there.

Hikai: Can I go see it later?

Oscar: What? Why do you want to see it?

Hikai: It would be hard to explain so just don’t ask. Can I see it?

Oscar: I guess nothing bad will happen so sure.

Hikai: Can I bring someone with me?

Oscar: Hmm? Who are you bringing?

Hikai: The S-rank adventurer “Maelstrom Feyris”

Lin and I left after that and went to the house. I entered the house and Feyris was sitting in the living room.

Feyris: Hmm? You’re pretty early today. What’s up?

Hikai: You’re not drunk today?

Feyris: Do you think I’m drunk all the time?

Hikai: Just most of it.

Feyris: Well you’re not wrong with that. Hahaha! So why are you back this early?

Hikai: Can you check a dead body for me?

I explained to her what happened.

Feyris: So you want me to check how that guy died? What makes you think that I can figure that out?

Hikai: I just figured that since you have been living a long time that you would have an idea. Can you please just check it out?

Feyris: Fine, I guess I’ll drink a little bit later today.

Hikai: So you still plan to drink.

Lin stayed behind in the house and we went to the castle and met up with Oscar, he guided us to where the body is currently kept and he went back to the front gate.

Feyris: Let’s see here. Hmm?

Feyris checked over the body using magic and then she let out a strange sound.

Hikai: Did you find something?

Feyris: Not really something but there is something weird with this one.

Hikai: Weird?

Feyris: How do I explain this? His body has been attacked from the inside by magic.

Hikai: Inside by magic?

Feyris: Yeah, it’s like a sudden surge of magic just burst in the inside. From what I could feel its delayed magic.

Hikai: Delay?

Feyris: Yeah, you see the reason why Demons are stronger than Humans is not because of their Magic but because of their Demon Energy. As a Demon, they have a specific energy available only to them. I’m pretty sure you already know since you have a contract with Lin.

I nodded to her.

Feyris: Depending on the user they can use that Magic in different ways and it seems this one can compress the magic and then it was just released and he died just like that.

Hikai: Then it’s either that they knew he was captured or that he didn’t contact them or it was put into him secretly.

Feyris: Yeah, it seems that the one who did this would be a strong Demon. It seems that they are making a move now. There were rumors that one of the demons could do such a thing.

Hikai: Yeah, there have been reports that Demons were sighted on the Port a few days ago.

Feyris: Really? Then judging from the time it does coincide a bit. Zack and Ester disappeared at the same time right?

Hikai: Yeah they did.

Feyris: What if this guy was trying to protect himself from the Demons using them as well as everyone he was with?

Hikai: Even if that is the case, I would still do the same thing no matter what.

Feyris: Is that so? So now what? From what I’ve gathered here that means that those Demons are currently plotting something and that they at least have someone powerful among them.

Hikai: Yeah, well I can’t really do anything though so I’ll just keep on investigating. We still don’t know why the King was looking for Demon Slaves after all.

Feyris: Right, since we’re done here I’m going to go back to the house and drink!

Hikai: See? This is why people think that you’re drunk all the time.

Feyris ignored me as she went back to the house. Since it seems that we don’t have enough time, I decided to directly ask people about the King.

Hikai: I don’t know if they’re scared or not but at least no one has told me anything bad about the King.

I walked back to Feyris’ house as the sun slowly set.

Hikai: Then why does he want the Demon Slaves? For what reason would he be looking for them?

As I went back to the house and entered, Ester and Lin were both sleeping on the sofa while Zack was reading a book.

Hikai: Where’s Feyris?

Zack: She’s in her room. She said something about looking into something and I didn’t really ask her about it.

I sat in front of Zack as Lin and Ester were hugging each other sleeping.

Hikai: Any news?

Zack: Nothing really.

Hikai: I see. Hey Zack, I heard that Demons were sighted around the Port a few days ago so be careful alright?

Zack: Huh? Aren’t you the one who should be careful? You’re the one who’s always running into trouble after all.

Hikai: I can’t really deny that.

Zack: You shouldn’t. Seriously, how many times are you going to drag all of us into your troubles until you’re satisfied?

Hikai: It’s not my fault that you guys helped me out before now is it?

Zack: That’s true.

Zack then leaned back on the chair and stared at the ceiling for a bit. He then started to talk again.

Zack: Someday, I want to leave this city.

Hikai: What are you talking about?

Zack: I’m still weak compared to everyone except for you. I’ve asked Master about how she got strong and all she told me was experience.

Ester: Mmmm. Me too, I’m still weak compared to master.

Ester woke up while the two of us were talking. She was yawning while she approached us.

Zack: That’s why I want to leave this city, so that I can experience a lot more.

Ester: Me too! I want to go around the world!

Lin: Noisy.

Lin woke up as Ester shouted.

Ester: Ah. Sorry Little Lin, I didn’t mean to wake you up.

Lin: Okay.

Lin looked towards all of us.

Hikai: Are you wondering what we were talking about?

Lin nodded when I asked her.

Hikai: Zack and Ester were talking about how they want to leave this city someday.

Lin tilted her head then she stood up and pulled Zack’s hand.

Zack: What are you doing?

Then she pulled Ester’s hand and put them on top of each other.

Ester: What’s this Little Lin?

Lin: Hand.

Lin looked towards me and I put my hand on top of theirs as well.

Lin: Together.

As she said that, she put her hand on top of ours.

Hikai: I see.

As I finally understood what she was doing, Zack and Ester also understood what was going on.

Ester: Then why don’t we do this like Hikai?

Hikai: Like me?

Zack: I guess its fine once in a while.

Lin: Right.

The three of them seemed to understand but I was still out of the loop.

Zack, Ester and Lin: It’s a promise.

The three of them said in unison and I was shocked. I smiled to them.

Hikai: Right, a promise that one day all of us would travel the world together.

The four of us made a promise on this day.

~Chapter 19 End~

3