Chapter 22 – Portray
33 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Diana: Grandfather!

As the branches were left on the ground, Diana and I were both crying.

Hikai: So, it’s like this.

Heavy, the weight of this promise is heavy. A promise upon death, if I didn’t accept would Maxim have lived a little longer? Is it my fault that he died right here and now? I couldn’t help but think about it like this.

Magicae: It’s fine. You did what you can.

As I sat down and hung my head, Magicae hugged me and brushed my hair. It was quite weird for her to do this but I couldn’t push her away.

Magicae: Just cry it all out. Don’t hold it in.

Those words opened up something inside of me. I could feel a torrent of emotions flowing through my body. I let myself go and tears flowed as my screams were heard with Diana. It would be quite some time until Diana and I would stop crying.

Diana: Grandfather.

I don’t know how long it took but Diana’s cries stopped. She sat motionless while staring at the branches. I had stopped a while back but I still haven’t moved a bit since then.

Magicae: Go, Hikai. Receive Maxim’s last gift to you.

Magicae pushed me. I looked towards her and she pointed at the branches. I stood up and walked weakly towards it. As I stared at it, I sat down beside Diana and reached out but.

Hikai: Kh.

I tried to reach out but the weight of my promise was preventing me from grabbing it. This weight that I now bear. It was something I have never felt before. Taking care of another person seemed to not fit me at all. In the end, I was the one who was always being cared for.

Magicae: Hikai! Don’t be afraid! Fight!

Magicae shouted at me but I still couldn’t move. I stared at the branches and couldn’t move at all. Then, a hand held mine. The hand was shaking, it was covered in tears but the grip of this hand could portray their resolve.

Diana: It’s okay. Grandfather wanted this.

Diana with tears in her eyes grabbed hold of hand and she brought it near the branches. All I had to do was to clench my fist.

Magicae: It’s alright if it’s heavy. It’s okay if it’s hard. There will always be people who will help you through it all.

Diana: That’s right. Grandfather decided to trust you. So, I will trust you as well.

As they told me that, I grabbed hold of a branch and I could feel Magic flow through my body.

Diana: What? This is what grandfather wanted? I see, I understand Grandfather. I will help him.

As I could feel the Magic flow through my body, tears appeared in my eyes as I strengthened my grip. I will fulfill my promise.

Diana: Are you okay now?

Hikai: I can manage but what about you?

Diana: I am not okay at all. Not even a little bit.

Diana shook her head sidewards with a sad smile on her face.

Diana: But I have to go on. Grandpa wouldn’t want me to stop moving forward after all.

Hikai: I see. I understand. What was that magic flowing through me?

Diana: How do I explain this?

Magicae: Let me do it then!

After a long time of silence, Magicae spoke.

Magicae: You got a new skill.

Hikai: A new skill?

Magicae: Yep! Although you can’t really use it but it’s not that type of skill so it’s fine. Its name is “Friend of the Forest”.

Hikai: Friend of the Forest?

Magicae: Yes! It’s a skill which lets you interact with beings of the Forest.

Diana: Like me.

Magicae: This means that the beings that this can apply to will instantly know that you are a person who can be trusted and they may even lend you their power if you really need it.

Hikai: Does that mean that I can have their help in fighting?

Magicae: I don’t think so. They are a pretty passive bunch so I don’t think they’ll help if it results in hurting others. Unless they are in danger of course.

Diana: That’s where I come in.

Magicae: That’s right.

Hikai: What?

Diana: I can help you fight is what I mean. We can only help you if you are using something that has our magical property within it. Luckily the Pole you currently have has that magical property so I can help you with it although if you can use Grandfather’s branches it could be much stronger.

Hikai: His branches? So that’s why!

Magicae: Yep! Maxim saw you using a Pole so he used the last of his power to give you his branches so that you can them to create another weapon.

Hikai: But are you sure? Don’t you want to keep those branches instead of giving them to me?

I asked Diana but she shook her head.

Diana: No. Grandfather wanted you to have them so I’m going to give them to you. Besides, I’ll be staying inside the weapon anyway so I would still be with him no matter what.

Hikai: Inside the weapon?

Diana: Like this.

Diana then disappeared inside the Pole that I was using. She then reappeared again after that.

Diana: What? I can’t feel any Magic from you. Why is that?

Hikai: It’s a long story but do you want to listen?

Diana: Yes!

I told Diana everything that happened until now.

Diana: EH!? You’re the God of magic!?  I am very sorry for not being respectful to you!

Diana panicked as she heard the story.

Magicae: That’s right! Worship me! For I am the great Magicae! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Hikai: Stop it.

I hit her on the head afterwards.

Hikai: You don’t have to worship her. She doesn’t do anything need worshipping after all.

Magicae pulled downed her eye and stuck her tongue out. She disappeared afterwards.

Hikai: See?

Diana: Hahaha.

I continued the story after that. I finished giving her the general outline.

Diana: So that means that you can’t use magic without absorb. Now this would be a problem.

Hikai: Yeah I thought so.

Diana: Well it’s not like it would be any different anyway. I mean you would need to be able to pour magic inside the thing for me to be able to use it. Although I could probably try to pour magic in it but it would be very slow.

Hikai: I guess we really don’t have a choice about that. Wait, you’re going to go with me?

Diana tilted her head.

Diana: Didn’t Grandfather tell you that?

Hikai: But I don’t know when I’ll be going to that Ancient Continent place. Where is it anyway?

Diana: I’m not sure. I was born and raised here by Grandfather this whole time after all.

That was also the time that Magicae decided to appear.

Magicae: It’s across the sea.

Hikai: Across the sea?

Magicae: Yep, you would need to use a boat or fly to get there.

Hikai: Then I can’t go there yet. I still have a lot to do here.

Diana: It’s fine. I’ll go where you go!

Hikai: Are you sure?

Diana: Yep! Grandfather would be happier if I was with someone I could trust after all.

Hikai: I see. Thanks.

Diana: Well then. I’m going to go inside the Pole now. I can’t feel those guys anymore so I think it’s okay for you to go through there now. I’ll try to gather some Magic as well!

Diana disappeared afterwards. I didn’t notice it but the wall had already disappeared.

Magicae: That kid is strong.

Hikai: Yeah, much stronger than me.

Magicae: We should go back then.

Hikai: Right.

Magicae and I followed the path that the Demons took after we fought. As we reached outside we saw the scenery.

Hikai: That’s the sunrise? Wait, I spent all night here!?

Magicae: That’s right. You guys were crying way too long in there.

Hikai: Shut up.

As we exited the cave, I sat down and leaned on one of the trees.

Magicae: You’ve got another person to take care of huh.

Hikai: More like, she’s taking care of me.

Magicae: You may not know it but that girl is younger than you.

Hikai: She’s younger?

Magicae: Yeah so even if she acts mature she’s still a kid deep down so don’t forget that alright?

Hikai: Yeah, I won’t forget.

Magicae: Good!

After resting for a while, we walked back to the city. As we neared the front gate, Magicae disappeared.

Hikai: Yawn, maybe I should go back to the house?

Since it was early in the morning already, I decided to go to the Woodsmith first.

Woodsmith: Oh! You’re back boy.

Hikai: Yeah, here.

The Woodsmith took a look at the branches.

Woodsmith: What the hell are these!? They’re way higher quality than the ones that you showed me before! I don’t think I can buy these.

Hikai: I see. I wasn’t selling them anyway.

Woodsmith: If you weren’t selling them, why are you showing them to me?

Hikai: I want you to make a Pole. Not just any Pole but the best one you can make and I want you to make it using all of this.

Woodsmith: All of it? Are you sure? From what I can see, I only need these. There will one extra branch.

Hikai: Then you can pay for that one. Just make sure that you take good care of it.

As I stared at him, he finally nodded his head.

Woodsmith: Alright, with my pride on the line I will make the best Pole you’ve ever seen!

Hikai: Thanks. How long do you think it will take?

Woodsmith: Hmm. The branches itself already are fixed to be one so the main problem would be the regulation of the branches itself. How it would fit with each other and how I would connect them all. Since I’ve never worked on this kind of wood I would guess 10 days.

Hikai: 10 days. Got it.

Woodsmith: Will that girl be the one to take it again when it’s finished?

Hikai: Depends on who gets here first.

Woodsmith: Alright. I’ll get it done kid. This would be the greatest work that I will make, I assure you!

I said goodbye to the Woodsmith and as I walked back to the house I passed by the main street.

Hikai: What? Is there a parade?

There were soldiers lined up from the front gate to the castle. It seems that they were just getting into position just now. I saw Oscar as he was walking back to the castle. I talked to him.

Hikai: Oscar, what’s going on?

Oscar: Ah? Can we talk later? I only got off duty just now so I want to sleep.

Hikai: Can you just tell me before you go?

Oscar: Fine. If I remember correctly, Demons would be coming in later.

Hikai: Demons?

Oscar: Apparently the soldiers were able to catch the Demons that were at the port.

Hikai: I see.

Oscar: You done? Then I’m going to sleep now.

Hikai: Yeah good night.

I was totally exhausted. The events didn’t quite click in my head so I just let it go. As I reached the house Lin ran to me and hugged me.

Lin: Where?

Lin looked up to me worried as I came back.

Hikai: Sorry I’m late. Can we talk later? I still haven’t slept yet.

Lin: Me too.

Hikai: What? You haven’t slept too?

Lin: Waiting.

It seems that she was waiting for me to get back.

Hikai: Alright let’s go sleep now.

The two of us went to my room to sleep. As I was falling asleep, I finally remembered everything.

Hikai: Wait! Demons were caught!?

Lin: Noisy.

As I realized what was going on a huge explosion suddenly happened in the distance.

Hikai: That came from the castle!

The Demon’s attack has now finally commenced.

~Chapter 22 End~

3