Chapter 3
106 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

•__________________________________________________________•

??? POV

'Hey, don't you feel lonely? You're always by yourself.'

'. . . I don't feel lonely when I'm with myself.'

' Hmm. . . .I suppose you're right. But—'

'??'

'When it's being shoved into your face, how does it feel?' 

'. . . . .'

'You know, when couples go home hand in hand, friends gathering up, having fun with their groupies. When you see them, don't you feel envious? Like 'It must be nice having someone like that or so.' don't you feel that way?'

'. . . . .I—'

•__________________________________________________________•

It's been a few days since we started this pen pal thing and I have to admit, I find this much more peaceful. Much better than her getting angry at me.

With this, I found out more about her. An update! Here are the most informative ones:

'I am 21 years old. I was apparently born on January 19, 1999.'

'The things I like are playing games, reading books, coffee, milk, candy, animals, dark, silence, and rain.'

'I hate noise, crowds, class introductions, presentations, anything that requires you to get on stage and perform, traitors, infidelity, arrogance, violence, brutality, meaningless conversations, insensitive, dense people.'

'I don't actually like talking directly at people, I prefer writing. I do have some confidence if it's a one to one.'

'You're right, everything that's in my room, I like, anything I hate, I throw out.'

I was surprised. Someone who won't even speak longer than 3-5 sentences can write everything in here. Oddly specific too. . .

'Wait a minute! Don't forget thy goals! IN-FOR-MA-TION! I have to get out of here! Or do I? I mean it's not bad here but—'

While I was thinking about this, the door slightly opened and a cup of coffee slowly slid through, it was just brewed.

"For me? Thank yo-"

slam*

'She still doesn't like me. But this is a great improvement! She brought me a coffee, after all this time—

SHE BROUGHT ME COFFEE!!'

I stopped my celebratory thoughts due to the scent of the coffee. Wouldn't want it to get cold.

'Uwaah~ It smells so good!!'

'Now that I think about it, it's been weeks and I don't feel hungry or thirsty. Is this the underworld after all?'

I thought as I took a first sip of the coffee.

"She's really good at making coffee."

clatter*

I suddenly heard a clattering sound from the inside. I wonder what happened. I stared back at the coffee.

". . . . ."

'Even though I exchanged letters with her. There's one thing I can't ask her.'

—Why did I kill you?

Somehow, I'm afraid of the answer. If, by any chance, I get my memories back, would I have the urge to kill her? And

'—Why treat me like this, though?  Smiling like that one time. Giving me coffee. Exchanging letters with your killer.'

'Something's not right. I know she's not stupid.'

'Wait! She says she hates me but she's being kind. Isn't this what you call tsun-'

slam*

"Ow!!"

A book just hit me out of nowhere.

"I'm not like that."

For the first time, ever since she threw me out, she came out of her room. It's not for the sake of reconciliation though. But, more importantly

"Huh? Did I say all my thoughts out loud? How did you—?"

"You're so noisy, you're thinking too much."

"??"

"Well. . .I guess that's just how we are. We can't stop the train of thoughts, no matter how much you want to, we can't stop overthinking things. The truth is more simple than you think."

'Uwaaah~ She's saying a lot of words. A new record!'

". . .So noisy. Stop thinking and sleep already!"

She looked really annoyed and was about to get inside the room. I was so confused about what was happening right now that the only word that came out of my mouth was

"Huh?"

"What are you doing? Get inside."

"Eh? I can? Are you fine with it? I thought you were mad and didn't want to see my face again."

"Don't misunderstand. I just needed some time alone, that's all. Being with you drains me."

"You hate me that much?"

"How many times do I have to say it?!"

She glared at me as she said that. I wasn't gonna back down though.

"But then—why are you being kind?"

"Kind?"

"Giving me coffee and all and besides—"

"Hating someone can't be an excuse to treat someone differently. You're still a person. I am not heartless."

". . . . ."

"Are you going inside or not?"

I was so in awe of her words that it took me a while to snap back to reality.

"Ah! Wait! I—I'll go inside!"

I hurriedly replied before she changed her mind.

•______________________________________________________________________________________________•

It's just like how it was when I was in here.

"Hurry up and sleep."

"Ah—right."

I laid on the soft, fluffy bed. It truly felt like I was lying on a cloud. This is really a nice room. If I were to have one, this would be my ideal room.

I noticed that she went back to reading books and playing games. I wondered if she could do that all day without getting bored.

"Hey, I've been wondering about it for a while but, are you the only person in this whole place? You know, this whole void of darkness?"

". . . . ."

She just stared at me for a while and—

"No. . .there's four of us in here. You're the fifth."

"Four?! Where are they? Are they the same as me? Or the same as you?"

". . .We are all different yet the same. But the three of us are in the same place, the other one is on the other side. If I have to say, we are supposed to be here and you're not."

'Hmm. . .so she's not alone here.'

". . .Can't they come to visit you?"

"Not really. We gather up every once in a while, though."

"Hmm. . .don't you prefer being together with them?"

". . .It's a matter of giving some space to each other. I prefer being alone."

"Aren't you lonely?"

". . .Not really."

'It doesn't seem like she's lying.'

"Are you going to sleep or what?"

She clearly wants to stop talking about all this so, before she gets the urge to throw me out again—

"I'll sleep! I'll sleep!"

I immediately took the blanket and covered myself with it.

"Ah! Good night!"

"!!"

I turned around, greeted her with a smile, and slept. I didn't even notice her expression change.

Time passed really slowly and somehow, I fell asleep.

•__________________________________________________________•

tick* tock* tick* tock* tick* tock*

As the girl slept peacefully, the girl who was reading a book, glanced at the other girl sleeping, and looked down.

". . .Will you finally have peace now?"

She mumbled softly, with a voice so gentle. Clearly showing concern. She glanced at her once again.

". . .Good night. May you have a peaceful dream now."

•__________________________________________________________•

4