Chapter 7
53 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

•__________________________________________________________•

??? POV

'Hey, hey, who are you?'

'. . . . .'

'You're always with me, but you always ignore other people. Why is that?'

'I have to. It is what you want, after all.'

'Huh? I do want to talk to other people.'

'That's true. But, it's not because you expect them to be close to you, right?'

'!!'

'What? You just want to observe them, right? I won't let you say otherwise.'

'That's-'

'You like being with other people, you're kind, fun to be with, but then after some time, you'll disappear, and then they will misunderstand things, call you weird, after that, things will get awkward, you find it tiring right?'

'But I. . .do want to have friends.'

'Of course, you do, but in the end, you just can't hide who you truly are. A person who prefers to be alone.'

'. . . . .'

'No matter how much you love being around people, deep inside, you're a hermit. That's the truth. That's us.'

•__________________________________________________________•

sigh*

"How did it come to this?"

We both sat down on the ground right beside her small table and decided to discuss the revelation that she just blurted out.

"It's just as I said."

Completely ignoring my despaired state, she states the whole truth and just comes out with it, like a bullet out of nowhere.

"Wait, wait. Let's calm down for a second."

"I am completely calm, though."

It irked me when she said that with an indifferent face.

"Anyway, let's point these one at a time. First:

> You are me, and I am you. So basically we are the same person.

Second:

> The fact that you said, I killed you so, that means I killed myself too, and that's why we are here.

Is this alright?"

"That's right, except a few things. We are the same person, but I am merely a part of you, I, alone, am not complete. Second, well, it's probably my fault for giving you the wrong term, it's not that you 'murdered' me, it's more like you 'rejected' me is all."

'Just a part of me? Not complete? Does that mean there are more? Could it be the ones she mentioned before? She said I was fifth, so there are 3 more other than her? Rejected? So it's not like I killed myself. That's a relief.'

". . . . ."

"So, um- you did say you hate me, right?"

"That's right."

"Because I rejected you?"

". . .Well, it's more or less like that?"

"Uh?"

'Well, I do feel bad for what I've done, but without my memories, I won't know what happened.'

Just as I was thinking of that-

"So, did you get some of your memories back?"

"No, not even one scene from my past came back! Thank you!"

I said sarcastically.

"I see. Well, it's not going to go back easily after all."

"Can't you just tell me everything? Like why did I reject you and all?"

"I believe I answered that question already."

'Eh? Ah! Is it that getting along with people who won't get along with me thing?'

I knew that even if I apologized, she wouldn't forgive me easily so,-

"Then how can I make it up to you?"

I tried to talk her into it. Somehow, I need to get a hint of what to do next. And yet, like always, with a straight face.

". . . . .I wonder. I'll think about it."

"Then, in the meantime, will you help me regain my mem-?"

". . .I can't."

An instant reply. No even a bit of hesitation,

'Then how am I supposed to do this?'

sigh*

Within a short distance, I heard her sigh.

"I'll give you a hint."

"Huh?! For real? What is it?"

I exclaimed with excitement. It was as if I witnessed a miracle, she is willing to help me even a little.

"Try going out."

When she said that, I felt like I was in the middle of execution.

"Um- going out, you mean that will help me regain my memories?"

"That's right."

"Then come with me!! At least accompany me or something."

"No."

"Why? I know you're the introvert, but still, it's not like you want to stay here your whole life, right?"

I frantically spouted those words out of utter panic. What if she doesn't open the door for me later on?

sigh*

She stood up as she sighed again and walked towards the door and opened it.

"If I were to choose between a parade of people and staying here. I'll choose the latter."

Indeed, it wasn't what you would call a parade. Who are these people? They are all faceless but-

"Hurry now, before I change my mind."

She pushed me out of the door and the instant I went out, I heard people screaming jeers and cheers, arguing, talking about so many things at once, beating drums, trumpets, high-end speakers which seemed like it was at maximum volume, and the worst of all, mean laughs.

"Ahh!"

I covered my ears, but it wasn't of much use, as it kept getting louder and louder.

"Hey! Where is all of this noise coming from?! Hey! Can you hear me?!"

I knocked on the door like mad, I couldn't take this much noise. I kept on knocking on the door for a long time, but there was no response.

"Urgh!"

My head was throbbing, and it was getting painful.

"It hurts. My head hurts. Please stop."

I was brought on my knees by the pain, and I recalled her words just before she pushed me out.

'She was right. I would rather be inside than be here. Is this why she doesn't want to get out? If that's the case, it's understandable, but how is this going to help me regain my memories?'

Just as I was thinking of a solution, the noise increased. Now there were some voices.

•__________________________________________________________•

'What can you get out of this piece of paper, you useless little-'

'. . .I'm sorry, father.'

'You won't even hang out with us, come on, let's drink some booze.'

'I. . .don't drink.'

'Ehhh~ boring.'

'Uhh. . .sorry.'

'Come on now, it's a party. Let's crash the night! You said you were going with us.'

'Uh- I still haven't finished my project yet. You guys go ahead. Sorry.'

•__________________________________________________________•

"!!"

'Are those some of my memories? But it's only pieces of them. I need more.'

When I raised my head and stood up, the scenery changed. It looked like a school hallway. It was more of a parabolic scene, the borders were waving, and it looked like fragments.

step* step* step* step*

I heard some footsteps from behind me. It was her, the introvert. She was passing by what seemed like a school hallway, some faceless people seemed like students.

But aside from that, she was smiling, but it was different. I know that smile. It was a forced one. As soon as she passed by the faceless students, her face went back to her usual calm demeanor face.

'It's my chance!! These must be my memories as well as hers. It's a good opportunity.'

I followed her trail and looked forward to what kind of memories I would regain from this.

•__________________________________________________________•

Meanwhile, the said introvert was watching from a distance, she was sitting inside the isolated library.

'This should be more than enough for now.'

She murmured as she was reading a book. Then, all of a sudden,

'You might as well have given her the answer, Naiko. This is no hint, it's the answer itself.'

The girl calmly turned around, and there was a person in the dark, with a calm smile.

'So, it's you. What's with the sudden visit?'

'Well, I just wanted to ask if you could play some cards with me.'

'You always win, why bother inviting me?'

'Because you're good at playing, besides, you don't have anything to do, right?'

'If you want to play with someone good, play with Shinsa instead.'

'Urk! No way! It'll always end in a draw!'

'Anyway, I'm not in a mood to play. I have something to do.'

'Alright. I'll just play chess by myself.'

As the figure left, she turned around and said:

'Ah! By the way, it's going to rain in here tomorrow, better get an umbrella.'

'We're not in the real world, anymore, no need to tell me that.'

'Ah! You're right. See you then.'

Just like that, she left.

sigh*

'Now then, where was I?'

The introvert continued to watch over the girl while she was wandering around, her sight completely locked on to her. With a melancholic look, she said:

'You should be able to know that feeling too. We wish to be understood by other people.'

•__________________________________________________________•

3