Chapter 1: A Regular Day
152 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tales tell about a mythical adventurer who's sword-fighting skills are unparalleled along with its never before seen magic. The adventurer traveled over great distances to search for worthy quests. No quests in the world can rival his audacity. Be it dispatching thousands of trolls or even slaying the demon king. No matter how many quests it is, it will never be enough for the almighty adventurer. The stories were so popular that it even reached the mythical heroic duo's ears who came for the legendary adventurer to hang out. But hanging out would have to wait when the mighty forces of the Evil God threaten to terrorize the entire world. The trio went out to clash with the evil army and to subjugate the Evil God.

"Ouch!" Laurence screeched as her cheek throbbed from being pinched.

"Did you have fun dreaming about becoming the legendary adventurer that everyone admires?" Laurence's brother stifled a chuckle as he watched her little sister's face flush with embarrassment.

"Greg, get out of my room..." Laurence said as she tried to get up from her bed to do some stretches.

"If I haven't entered the room and pinched your cheek, you would have been sleeping the entire time. Anyways, go eat breakfast and help Dad in the kitchen." Greg headed towards the door and left Laurence's room.

Laurence scurried down the stairs and entered the kitchen, where her breakfast was laid and prepared for her. The table and chair correspond to her height. She was quite different in comparison to her Dad and older brother. She was relatively small compared to how a person's size should be on her age. Very much unlikely to be compared to her tall father and older brother, who are taller than an average person. She had pointed ears, and her hair reflects the rare pinkish-orange color that the sky makes. Her Dad and Greg have black hair and average-looking ears. Dad told them that she inherited it from their mother, whom she had never before seen. She grew up believing that she looked just like their beautiful mum.

After eating breakfast, she went outside their tavern to bathe in the public bath. It was simple. She paid 5 copper shillings to the attendant, and she was offered a bucket of well water, a clean scrub, and a soap made from processing fats, oils, and other substances. She then went inside the room and took a bath, happy to see no other people were inside. One thing the attendant forgot or purposely didn't give her was shampoo. Laurence doesn't mind. She knew that the owner of the public bath isn't really profiting much. Brushing the small matter aside, Laurence used the soap to clean her hair, which seems to be always in good condition even without using shampoo or bathing. Finished, she used a towel to dry herself before wearing a new set of clothes.

Arriving at their family tavern, she went inside their kitchen by entering the back door to help her father serve the customers. Surprised, she still had enough time to prepare the ingredients before the tavern opens. Laurence and her Dad helped each other prepare food for the upcoming customers before Greg opens the front door, signaling the customers that they are open before heading towards the Guild to take quests. When everything was all set, Greg opened the front door to let the hungry customers in before departing.

"Order up!" It was a busy day, and Laurence worked as a cashier while her Dad works in the kitchen to prepare the customer's order. Their house was a middle-class tavern. Although it looked simple, they served excellent dishes, and the customers love it. Their family has no surnames as having one will increase the tax payment. When asked about what they feel about it, Laurence and Greg responded and said it doesn't matter.

They lived a simple life in the remote province of Gleedenfiel of the Western Empire. There isn't much to see about the region, so it doesn't attract a significant amount of people. However, people, such as adventurers, used its routes as travel guides towards different places. Laurence's Dad used this idea to exploit incomes by buying the tavern near the traveling path. As a result, the family earns tremendous profit that competitions against other bars became insignificant.

It was lunchtime, and Greg came back from the Guild. As usual, he frequently arrives home with his equipment damaged from his quests. He would later visit a smithy to get his equipment repaired. Greg went to the kitchen to grab a meal. Seeing as there are not many customers left, Laurence used this as a leeway to talk with his brother. She skimmed towards the kitchen and saw his brother eating at the table.

"How's your adventure today? Anything exciting that happened?" Laurence asked as she grabbed her lunch and placed it on the table. Sitting on the chair that was in front of the table, she faced Greg.

"Not much. Basically, it's just another day for monster subjugations. It ended earlier than expected." Greg said as he stuffed his mouth with the delicious food on his plate.

"I see..." Laurence replied, hoping to hear more fascinating stories about how she wished that she was an adventurer. She imagined how breath-taking it would be when she goes on a quest with her brother.

"Say, Laurence... Wanna come with me to the smithing shop?" Greg asked his little sister when he saw that she was not impressed.

"Sure, I would love to." Besides being an adventurer, Laurence wanted to visit weaponry stores to look at swords and different weapons types.

After having lunchtime and washing the dishes, the two told their Dad about their plans for the afternoon. Being granted permission, the two went outside their abode and gave a farewell waved to Dad.

"Good luck on your trip!" Dad said while he waved at the shrinking figures of the two. 'I hope she doesn't find something interesting in the store...' he muttered as he sighed.

7