Chapter 8: Unwanted Visit
37 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Laurence felt an acute pain in her head. The pain made her drop to the floor. Clenching her teeth while holding her head, Laurence tried to concentrate her vision on the mysterious figure. It was blurry as her eyes are covered with tears. She tried screaming for help, but her mouth wouldn't open.

"So, you're the chosen hero, hmm?" The figure said while walking towards the girl lying on the ground. Although Laurence can't seem to speak or see properly, at least her ears work. The steps and what the mysterious person said were clearly audible, and from it, she concluded that it was a 'she'.

"You're so fragile and powerless. Do you really think you can survive this quest?" The woman crouched in front of Laurence while intently looking at her with hostility. The surrounding became cold as the predator looms over its helpless prey. Laurence felt the woman's gelid gaze. Cold sweat emerged from her forehead. She felt like her soul would leave her body any time soon. The only thing Laurence could think of right now is Dad and Greg.

She felt sleepy and oddly cold. Slowly, her peripheral senses became numb and irresponsive, and the woman's voice turned into a mumble.

************************************************************************************

Dad went upstairs to check on Laurence. He had no clue why she ran away from him again. Seeing that her room's door is open and that it was unusually tranquil, Dad felt that something supernatural had just happened. Rushing to the room, Dad saw a ghastly pale woman crouching over the unconscious Laurence. He felt his blood boil. Rage swallowed his body, and in no time, Dad sped towards the woman and slammed her away from his daughter. He collided with her so powerful that the woman was sent flying backward and hit the wall. Dad picked Laurence up and dragged Greg away from the room.

Greg seemed conscious as his eyes are open, and he was breathing steadily. But it was uncanny how he was just staring blankly. Nevertheless, Dad took both downstairs and to the kitchen. He checked their conditions. Laurence was unconscious, and Greg can't seem to respond even when he tried to slap him multiple times on the cheek. 'Great...' Dad thought. Walking over to the kitchen utensils, Dad grabbed a set of kitchen knives. It's coming. He can hear the steps getting louder as it walks downstairs. He readied himself.

"Are you, perhaps, looking for me?~" Behind Dad, a sweat voice emerged, and he felt the unwanted entity crept from his back. The woman pushed Dad on the ground and reached for his neck. She was choking him.

"This is payback for what you did to me." The woman said as hatred filled her voice and her eyes are bloodshot red.

"And this is my revenge!" Dad stabbed the woman with knives that he was holding in both hands. The woman evanesced, leaving a trail of crimson mist. Dad stood up and readied himself. This time, the woman came from above, and stealthily dropped on Dad. He was caught by surprise and was once again sent lying on the ground. Dad got both of her arms pinned by the woman. Despite her looks, she was actually several times stronger than any human. He was immobilized, and he can only wait and see what the woman is about to do to him.

Suddenly, the back gate in the kitchen was slammed open, and two figures barged in.

"Vitoria! Let the man go!" Arnold exclaimed as he released a beam of light with a diameter of no more than ten inches. It was aimed directly at Vitoria. Arnold made sure it wasn't too strong, or else he would've seriously damage her and perhaps kill the person lying on the floor. Vitoria was sent flying away from Dad and slammed on the wall. She let out moans of pain.

"I'm sorry. This was too sudden, but I'm here to explain everything." The Great Sage said as he walked over to Dad and helped him get up.

"You better be..." Dad remarked.

Then the Great walked towards Laurence and Greg. He took out a vial and poured out a droplet of its contents on Laurence's mouth. Next, He chanted something and placed his palm in front of Greg's face.

"Awaken." The Great Sage said, and Greg was back to his senses.

"What happened?" Yep, Greg has no idea.

Dad sprinted towards them and hugged his two children. Then he looked at the Great Sage.

"Don't worry, Laurence will wake up in the morning. She's just taking a good nap. This is also a good time for us to talk about Laurence's journey." The Great Sage said.

"Greg, take Laurence back to my room and look after her." Dad ordered Greg, to which he replied with a nod and carried Laurence to Dad's room.

Arnold rushed to check Vitoria's condition. Vitoria was a vampire of the demi-human race. Being a vampire, she was gifted with exceptional regenerative ability and a weakness for sunlight. Although she was a 'day walker', it doesn't mean she likes sunlight. Arnold knew this fact. After all, she was one of the Great Eight. 'She seems to be alright.' Arnold thought as he lends Vitoria a hand. She responded by slapping the hand away.

"I can stand by myself." Vitoria said as she hastily stood up. She was angry and annoyed by the fact that Arnold had used light magic, which was one of her weaknesses, against her.

"Do you have any ideas what could've happened to the world if you killed the hero? You could've spent the rest of your life in the 'eternal prison' for committing such treason." Arnold was worried about his companion.

"Please, for your sake and the entire world. Please hand out the letters to the remaining six." Arnold said in a stern tone. Vitoria nodded and transformed into a bat. She left via the backdoor. Closing the opened door, Arnold came over and sealed it shut.

"I'm sorry for the rude intrusion, and I'm also sorry for the quandaries that my disciple had caused. Please allow me to explain everything." The Great Sage said in a conciliatory tone.

"Alright. I want to hear what you have to say. If we may, shall we continue our talk in the dining hall? I'll go prepare dinner for us. If that's okay for you." Dad said.

"It'll be my pleasure, kind sir." The Great Sage replied with a smile.

3