Chapter 2: The Mysterious Girl Went To School With Me
62 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I drowned out the noise in the background as I stared out the window. Like always, I was struggling to pay attention to... whatever was being taught. I just stared out the window thinking about what I was going to do after school. I figured I was most likely going to have to put up with that annoying girl that suddenly appeared in my life.

According to her, we've known each other for a long time. But to be honest, I can't say that about anyone. I never really had that many friends, and these days I don't really have any. I had always wished I could have at least one friend that would be happy to be with me. But as the days went by, nothing happened.

So I ended up creating an imaginary friend for myself. But that got boring since I was too old to have one anyways. Suddenly, a girl appeared and was acting like the two of us were friends that have known each other for a while. What's up with that? Soon my thoughts are interrupted by the sound of the teacher's voice.

"Oscar, what is the answer to this equation?" he asked, pointing to the whiteboard behind him.

"Huh...?" I responded.

Oh crap. I looked at the board to see the math equation he had written down and thought for a second.

"So that's what class this is..." I commented.

Thankfully, nobody seemed to hear what I said.

"Um... the answer is three." I answered.

"Correct." our teacher responded.

I sighed as I leaned back in my chair, upset about being put on the spot like that. I then went back to thinking about what I'd do after school but my train of thought is interrupted by that girl.

"Hey." she said.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Class is over now and you were just sitting here so I thought I'd come wake you up." answered Mika.

"Oh, uh... thanks." I replied.

"It's no problem." she said.

"Alright, I'm gonna go-" I started.

"Hold on!" she said.

"What?" I responded.

"Why are you so desperate to leave?" asked Mika.

"S-sorry." I said.

"Anyways, are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I answered.

"Just wanted to check on you." said Mika, "The others say you tend to talk to yourself from time to time."

"That's probably because I have no one to talk to in the first place." I replied.

"Hey, if you want to talk about anything, I'll listen." said Mika, appearing concerned.

"Tch." I said.

"Well, we better get going." said Mika, "We don't want to be late for our next classes."

"Y-you're right." I replied.

 

***

The two of us continueed through our school day and I tried my best to not think about that strange girl. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't stop. It didn't help that I saw a familiar face in a few more of my classes. I tried to just ignore her and focus on my classes. When they were over though...

"Hey." she said.

"What do you want this time?" I asked.

"Nothing really." answered Mika.

"Then why are you here?" I asked.

"...You still talking to yourself?" asked Mika.

"No." I answered.

"That's good." she said, "Let's go home."

"Okay. Let's go." I replied.

I got myself up and followed her out of the building.

"So how long are you going to keep this up?" asked Mika, when we got to the street.

"Until I understand what the heck's going on." I answered, "Who are you really?"

"I've told you already." responded Mika, letting out a sigh, "Have you really forgotten about your best friend?"

"Yesterday, you weren't even around. Now, suddenly you're here." I said, "How could I not be confused?"

"I can't say I understand what you're talking about." replied Mika.

I shook my head, wondering why I even bothered asking. It wasn't like I was going to figure out where she came from, so I decided it would be best to ask about other stuff.

"Well, why don't you tell me about yourself?" I suggested, "How do you spend your time?"

"I do whatever you're doing." Mika quickly answered.

"A-are you serious?" I responded.

"No." said Mika, chuckling, "I don't do whatever it is you do when you lock yourself in your room for an hour."

I really didn't like the look she was giving me.

"W-what are you talking about?" I asked.

"Yep, and I definitely don't put anything naughty under my bed." continued Mika, "Or look at stuff online..."

"That's enough!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, I'm just messing with you." said Mika, "...Or am I?"

We both went quiet, neither of us saying a word for a few seconds. Mika then laughed some more before finally taking my question seriously.

"I read, watch anime, and play video games." said Mika.

That sounded a lot like... the same stuff I did in my free time. How strange. A girl suddenly shows up and she has the exact same hobbies as me? What the hell was going on?

"I see." I replied.

"One of my favorite anime is about superheroes." continued Mika, "Everyone is born with an ability except the main character and then one day he's given a power and..."

That happened to be one of my favorites, too.

2