Chapter 5: A Strange Occurrence
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up sweating. It seemed that I had a really bad dream involving Mika. It seemed I couldn't escape her even when I was asleep. After shaking my head and trying to forget about it, I got myself up and did the stuff I usually do in morning. I got dressed, ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, and everything else that I needed to do before school.

It's not really a place I enjoy going to. Well, I don't think most people my age really like going. One thing that's never changed for me is this uncomfortable feeling I get in my stomach not knowing exactly what the near future holds for me. However, it's the middle of the school year so why am I so nervous But that's not the most odd thing about this morning. My parents didn't even say a word to me. I know before I had been kind of quiet guy and never really had much to say... that was important. I head out the door with Mika.

"Is something bothering you?" asked Mika.

"Something feels off." I answered.

"You're not going to go on about the stuff you were saying yesterday, are you?" responded Mika.

"No, it's not that this time." I said, "I don't even know what it is this time, but something doesn't feel right."

"Must be your imagination." responded Mika.

"I hope you're right." I said.

As soon as I entered the building, I could heard a bit of noise as other students were talking to each other. For some reason, it sounded even louder than usual. I tried my best to ignore it and just get to class. When I reached the classroom, I found my seat and sat down. I breathed in as I tried to take my mind off of my nervous feeling that didn't seem to want to fade.

It didn't take too much longer for our teacher to enter the room. He came into the room with a stack of books and gently placed them on his desk before pulling out his attendance sheet and reading off of it. He called everyone's name, to which they responded. However, he didn't call mine. I raised my hand trying to get his attention. However, he didn't seem to be paying attention so I tried calling out over and over again. Unfortunately, it didn't matter how loud I make my voice. He just didn't hear a word I said.

The entire time I tried to get his attention, in the corner of my eye, I saw Mika looking at me. Mika, why won't you say something? You're supposed to be my friend, aren't you? She then looked away. What's going on now? Was I in some kind of tragic accident and just forgot about it or something? Did I die and become a ghost? Even if that were the case, I cannot recall any accidents that I may have been in. But there is one thing that is clear now. The people around me could no longer see me. I guess that's just how things were.

I sighed and put my head down on my desk knowing that nobody was going to actually acknowledge my presence... or see me tearing up a bit. I could barely see it, but I thought I caught Mika glancing my way. However, I looked up to see she was just facing forward. I looked out the window and reminisced about what I no longer had and thought bout how I'd likely never get any of it back. Nobody would bother me about anything now because they couldn't hear or see me.

I wouldn't even have to worry about screwing up anymore because nobody would be able to see the mistakes I made... No one would miss me if I didn't show up either. How did I end up being pulled out of existence? My name didn't even get called and the teacher didn't even hand me the assignment for the day, so I got up and grabbed the paper myself so I could do it. However, was there even a point in doing that considering the teacher didn't even know I was a student in his class!?

I didn't like this at all; it hurts when nobody acknowledges your presence and even more so because they can't. All I could do was go through the day without talking to anyone. I couldn't talk to anyone. They couldn't talk to me. They couldn't even see me. They couldn't even hear me. They knew I didn't exist. Eventually, class was over and I left. Before I knew it, I was more than halfway through the day. As I walked through the hallway, I almost bumped into someone. It was Mika.

"W-Watch where you're going." she said.

"Wait... you can actually see me?" I responded.

"What are you talking about?" asked Mika.

"Everyone's been ignoring me." I answered, "To them, it's like I don't even exist."

"That certainly is odd." replied Mika.

"Yeah." I said, "How come you didn't say anything this morning?"

"You were in class?", responded Mika, "I thought you didn't show up."

"I was there!" I exclaimed, "Our teacher didn't even call my name during attendance and I kept trying to get his attention." "I thought I saw you looking at me."

"I was looking at your desk wondering where you were, but you weren't there." said Mika.

"And you can suddenly see me now?" I said, "That makes no damn sense!"

"Do you really believe that no one can see you?" asked Mika.

"If this is a prank, it's a really cruel one!"

"That reminds me of that one prank in that diary written by a wimpy guy."

"I don't know which I'd rather have: this whole thing being a prank or it being real... because if it's a prank... that would just..."

"Hey, it's okay. Things will be okay. Just hang in there a bit longer and we'll sort this out. So please don't start crying."

I could hear someone else in the hallway say her name. The voice said "Mika, why are you talking to yourself?"

"I'm not talking to myself!" she exclaimed.

"I don't see anyone else here." the voice responded.

"He-he's right in front of me!" exclaimed Mika.

"Nobody else can see me. Or even hear me." I said, "Except you, for some reason."

"How does that even work?" asked Mika

"I... don't know." I answered.

The voice once again reacted to our conversation and said, "I don't know what's going on here, so I'm just going to leave..."

"So... when did all of this start?" asked Mika.

"It all started this morning." I answered, "My parents didn't even acknowledge my presence."

"Hmmm..." she said.

"Our conversation was cut short by the school's bell.

"We'll have to finish our discussion later." said Mika.

"Okay." I replied.

"I'm eventually made it home. But did it it even matter? I don't think my parents even realized that I existed."

"How are you doing right now?" asked Mika.

"I'm okay, I think." I replied.

"You sure?" asked Mika.

"Yeah. I think I'm just gonna go to bed." I responded.

"Without dinner?" said Mika.

"I'm not hungry." I replied.

"See you tomorrow then." said Mika.

2