Chapter 8: Oscar’s Ultimate Decision
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up in the middle of the night.

"What a strange dream." I said, "Why was I at a well?"

I bit my lip, as I tried to process what that dream was about. I soon came to a realization. It was a memory.

"That's right!" I said, "One month ago, I made a wish."

With no hesitation, I jumped out of bed, and threw on my coat before heading outside. Before I knew it, I was running as fast I could. I had to get to that well!

***

When I got there, it was quiet. I was the only one there. So many weird things had happened in the past few days, I couldn't believe I hadn't lost my sanity. Another realization had hit me: it was my wish that brought Mika to me in the first place, wasn't it? Would I be able to get her back by making another wish? I could change reality by making her real forever.

It's what I wanted. It's what I believed I wanted. So, why was I hesitating? This was something I had to do, wasn't it? I shook my head and told myself I needed to just do it. It wouldn't hurt to try, after all. I really did want her back, after all. That was when I tossed a coin into the air.

As it headed for the well, it hit something. Another coin. It hit... another coin. I looked at the other side of the well and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was Mika. Without thinking, I ran over to her and hugged her.

"Mika!" I said.

"I didn't want you to suffer alone." she said.

"You were with me this whole time?" I said, letting go of her.

"Yeah." said Mika, "I've always been watching over you."

"Always?" I replied.

"Yeah." responded Mika, laughing a little, "Even when you're masturbating."

"What?" I said.

"Kidding." replied Mika, lauging some more, "I'd just wait outside while you were doing it."

"Hey, can we stop talking about that?" I requested.

"Yeah."

"So does this mean you're going to stay this time?"

"I don't see why not."

***

I slept really good that night. When I woke up, I saw Mika.

"Good morning." she said, happily.

"Why are you in my room?" I asked.

"Just wanted to make sure you weren't dead." answered Mika.

"Of course I'm not dead." I replied, "Now, could you leave... so I could get dressed?"

"I can't watch?" responded Mika.

"No!" I exclaimed.

"I'm just kidding." she said, "I'll go."

After I get dressed, I head for the dining room and find that breakfast is as lively as it had been for the past few days. My parents were again telling stories of when I was a kid. But... it didn't bother me anymore. I was just glad that Mika was still here. And now I guess Mika is telling stories of what she remembers from when we were kids.

"...And he got stuck up in that tree." said Mika, "So I climbed up to help him down... Then we both got stuck and had to wait for help."

"Yeah, I remember that..." I said, scratching the back on my neck.

"There was also that time when..." continued Mika.

***

Mika was really talkative on the way to school too.

"You been doing your work?" asked Mika.

"I've been doing everything." I said, "Even the stuff assigned on the day that I didn't exist."

"Well, I'm glad you didn't let that affect your studies." said Mika.

"I'm just glad to have you around." I said.

"Yep." said Mika, "And I'm not going anywhere this time."

"So, how come you get to stay this time?" I asked, "Last time, you ended up coming close to replacing me."

"That's a good question." said Mika, "I think maybe... it's because we both wished for this. Strongly."

"So it was because we both wanted you to be here?" I said, not really sure if I understood.

"I just wanted you to be happy." said Mika.

"Well, I am."

"Good."

I couldn't fully understand everything that had happened or how the wishes worked. But humans probably aren't meant to understand everything. Even if I don't understand, Mika is here now. And I can tell we're going to be friends for a long time.

0