A new kind of beginning? – Chapter 13
1.7k 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

* * *

On the way back home, Aya was very quiet, and she didn't seem to inquire about anything with the ghost inside her.

She knew that Hiroki had acknowledged the tournament, which is why she was beginning to grow a little curious as to how this could elucidate her situation. 

She had become a little more confident in her own skills as a fighter, so she wasn't all that nervous about joining a tournament.

However, she would rather avoid any attention from anyone if it were possible. But on the other hand, if this was going to solve the misunderstanding of her white hair and the thing with the strongest knight, she was willing to do so.

….

At the abandoned house where Aya and Hiroki had temporarily created their base, they were preparing their own equipment before heading outside the town.

Hiroki was waiting for Aya outside her body, looking at her with a relaxed gaze.

“Do you blame me for your white hair?” 

Hiroki suddenly inquired after sensing that Aya’s silence was becoming a common factor between them. He knew that Aya was currently facing a lot of trouble, and it wouldn't be surprising if she thought that this all happened because of Hiroki.

“Eh?....Ah, no. If anything, I’m very glad that I was able to meet you. It was all thanks to you that I was able to reach this rank, and it's thanks to you that I'm able to protect myself... or those who are close to me.”

Compared to the usual clumsy innocent girl who was abused as bait by different adventures, she has now become someone who is able to take full responsibility for what she does. 

And she was fully aware of the influence that Hiroki had on her the whole time. If it wasn't for him meeting her that day, she would've lost all hope and died.

Even right now, as she was recalling her first time meeting the ghost, she still couldn't help but softly smile at her pathetic past self. 

“I'm glad that you feel this genuine about me… I can feel it in our connection that you are strong-willed in your heart.” Hiroki responded with the same kind of soft smile of acceptance. “After all, this is another thing that makes you very valuable to me.”

“What does that mea…” Aya attempted to ask at the confusing statement that Hiroki just made.

“I feel like I should be telling you this.” 

Hiroki suddenly cut her out before she could finish. 

“Things are going to become tougher for us from now on, both mentally and physically, especially after we return from the wild forest today. Because I plan on entering the town with you by my side.”

Aya’s eyes widened at this sudden statement. She knew that her benefactor wasn't a demon, but he clearly had the closest appearance to that of a demon. Or based at least on the legendary description that was passed down through each generation.

“I know what you may be thinking, but I think this should be okay for me. Even though people might recognize me as a demon, they still won't consider me an immediate threat.”

“...I’m sorry, but I still don’t understand.”

After seeing the confused state of the young girl, Hiroki crossed his arms as he was about to explain what he thought if he revealed himself.

“You already know that I have a special skill that allows me to take on a visual that resembles a human. However, despite that, I am still not able to touch anything since this skill is only an illusion to trick the human mind. Next, people only think of demons as legendary beings that have gone extinct. Or at least, that's what they think happened. Meaning… Humans don't believe that a demon would wander around the town without causing any commotion. And lastly, this whole town is surrounded by an invisible barrier that can detect any sort of monster or dungeon outbreak that is nearby.” 

“Wait…. So that means!” Aya gasped in realization.

“We’ve entered and exited the town many times, and not once was the barrier able to detect me.” Hiroki confirmed with a smirk on his face.

Despite the fact that Hiroki was confident that the whole town wouldn't get worked up because of his appearance, Aya was still worried about his well-being. 

She was the one who knew him best, and she surely didn't want any trouble or misunderstandings that would cause a bloodbath within the town.

She just hoped that everything that Hiroki was planning wouldn't go down a path filled with discrimination, hate, and death…

* * *

In the wild forest, where many monsters would usually lurk, two individuals with white hair could be seen fighting side by side. They were surrounded by many wolf-looking monsters with long, dark gray fur and sharp teeth that were drooling from the amount of growling they were releasing to intimidate the two human-looking individuals.

“Aya, this time, try and aim right for their face before they can bite you.” 

“Got it!”

As Hiroki, who had taken his human-looking form, instructed the white-haired girl, he then proceeded to analyze their situation with a rather calm expression on his face while easily killing any of the wolves that would come behind Aya’s back with ease.

He would use one of his skills to create a blade made of thin air to easily defeat any monsters that Aya wasn't able to react to fast enough. 

‘...this is still not enough….’ 

Hiroki concluded on his head while watching Aya slaughter the wolves that would jump right in front of her.

【 STATUS 】

     Name: Hiroki

     Race: Ghost

     Title: Monarch of the undead

 SF: 3400/3400

 Points: 899

INT: 2,871        STR: 0        AGI: 0        VIT: 0        DEF: 0


《 Skills

<Appraisal> < Possession > <Curse> <Skill distortion>
< Ruler’s Warth > < Night Vision > < Danger Sense >
< Airblade > < Fast thinking > < Quick Shield >
< Memory Call > < Mind’s force > < Perfect Aim >

‘The previous dungeon was also a disappointment. And my status doesn't seem to be getting any more points anymore….’ Hiroki thought in his head. ‘Does this mean I have reached my limit as a ghost? Or perhaps, normal monsters aren't strong enough to help me get stronger?’ 

Hiroki had to think of something that would break him free of the limitations that his status had. 

He had a few solutions on his mind. However, they would consume an unimaginable amount of skills and ‘SF’ just so he could create a new limitless kind of skill. But at the same time, this didn't bring his mood down since he knew that he wasn't someone who would simply give up.

He was summoned to another world as a ghost, where he wasn't able to touch anything at all, with the only instruction being his status, which claimed he could be the hero. 

He knew that whoever had summoned him to this world was someone who was very intelligent and someone who knew of the modern world of technology.

The summoner could also be another human from Earth who somehow got this kind of power. That was also a possibility for the thinking ghost.

But right now, Hiroki knew that he must think of an alternative way of increasing his stats much more easily.

Getting other humans as possessions was very dangerous since he didn't want to reveal himself to the public and what he was capable of.

Using a monster as a physical body was also a no for him. It was too dangerous, as the moment Hiroki might let his guard down, that monster wouldn't hesitate to kill anything in its sight. 

Also, there weren't any signs of tamed monsters in this world, which gave another reason why he shouldn't use monsters in towns.

And as Hiroki was looking through his status, he finally noticed the title that was given to him by the Litch in the first dungeon he cleared on his own.

Information


[ Title: ‘Monarch of the undead’ ]

Description: A title given by the dying Litch as a reward for freeing him from the curse of the body. You will be granted the hidden skills of the dead. Also you are immune to any attacks of any undead type of skills.

‘Hm… I think I can work something out with this title….’ Hiroki came to the same conclusion before looking back up to see how Aya had been doing.

Aya was standing still around a pile of slaughtered wolves that had attempted to bite her head off. She had managed to defeat all of the monsters even without Hiroki’s help, which was a big achievement for her.

“Do you need a break?” 

Hiroki asked after seeing the motionless Aya, who was looking at all of the kills she had done.

“No.” A confident smile appeared on her face. “I can still fight.”

Even though Hiroki wasn't possessing Aya, he could still sense that she wasn't the slightest bit tired from all of the fast movements that she had made, which is why he decided to keep moving forward. 

Aya had grown strong, and she no longer needed Hiroki’s assistance to keep grinding insanely powerful monsters like they used to together.

But right now, killing monsters in the wild forest isn't the primary goal. Hiroki knew that they had to move forward before the night could fall and make their surroundings much more difficult.

After an hour or so, Hiroki finally indicated to Aya that they had finally reached the place that he wanted to check out.

It was a deserted part of the forest where no monsters could be seen. Many dead trees could be seen all over the place, where their lives had certainly come to an end.

Aya had heard of a place like this, and she knew that there was nothing in here other than poisonous plants that could even kill someone from their smell.

“Are you sure that this is the place you are looking for?” 

“Yes, I'm sure.”

After seeing the concerned look on Aya's face, Hiroki tried reassuring her once again as he began looking around the dead, leafless trees.

While some humans would suffocate from the terrible smell of this place, Aya seemed to be fine. However, she still felt the uncomfortable sensation in her nose while continuing to follow Hiroki.

Hiroki, however, was distracted by his own gaze, which was appraising everything that his eyes met. He was looking all over the place with a calm, focused expression, as if he were trying to find something specific.

And after a few more minutes of wandering around, Hiroki finally stopped in front of a weirdly looking tree that had taken on a darker and dryer shape than the rest of the other trees.

“There it is.” 

“What is that?” Aya innocently asked as she used her own clothes to prevent the bad smell from reaching her nose. 

“I don't want to make any quick assumptions, but by using the materials of this tree, I might be able to create a drink that will boost anyone’s stamina.” Hiroki claimed, his eyes still focused on that specific tree.

“Really!?” Aya’s eyes went wide in surprise at the sudden statement. “You can make a potion that will increase someone’s strength?”

“Yes, but temporarily.” Hiroki responded.

“That's…. Amazing… I never knew that you can also make potions.”

Hiroki crossed his arms in a confusing way. He knew that potions in this world were a usual thing, and making them shouldn't be something that weird. Especially in the town they live in.

“Well, yeah. Once you know the formula, anyone can make them. ”

Aya, however, showed a confused look once again.

“Isn't that how potion-making works?” Hiroki asked to confirm his suspicions.

“I'm sorry, but ordinary people aren't able to create or replicate any sort of potion. It's such a difficult process that even powerful guilds aren't able to get rare potions that easily.”

“Hold on for a minute, Aya. I'm sure that I’ve seen dozens or hundreds of shops that sell potions. So how come you're exaggerating to the point where a guild isn't able to attain a simple position?”

“N-no, that's not what I mean. I'm not calling you a liar or anything.” Aya was startled for a bit after seeing the unsatisfied response from Hiroki.

“I'm not angry at you, Aya. I'm simply trying to come to a conclusion about this potion creation business. If you claim that potions are hard to attain, then how come they are so common in our town?” Hiroki inquired, his gaze turning to the white-haired girl.

“I don't know as well, but our town is known to be very productive from the potions that also supply other towns as well. I'm not sure who makes them, but there is a rumor that an alchemist became a merchant, and he is using his knowledge to expand his business.”

Hiroki seemed to be thinking in his head for a minute before softly whispering to himself. 

“So that’s why…”

After coming to a conclusion, Hiroki asked Aya to bring out some of the bags that they had prepared beforehand. 

Hiroki gave a small nod before using ‘AirBlade’ to cut the whole dead brown tree into small pieces so that they would be able to fit them on each of the bags that they had brought.

Carrying those bags by hand was also going to be a hard task, which is why Hiroki suggested using Aya’s dimensional storage pockets. 

There wasn't any struggle to get them in, as the storage immediately sucked the items in the moment the wearer thought about storing the bags.

The necessary materials were finally gathered. However, Aya was beginning to feel a little sick from the poisonous air in this dead place. 

This also gave Hiroki confirmation that it was time for them to head back to the town.

The trip back felt faster to Aya, not only because they had finished their business but also because she felt as if a huge burden inside her lungs was free from the toxic-like smell.

However, her body tensed up once again the moment she noticed that Hiroki was still walking by her side, unaware that they were slowly approaching the gate of the town. 

Aya was aware that Hiroki knew what he was doing, but still, she was scared that the worst could happen at any time. Hiroki had created, with his imitation, a dark cloak like hers, to create an illusion that covered his white hair. But, she still felt worried.

She clenched her fists and prayed in her mind that everything would go smoothly.

Upon reaching the gate, where two guards would usually guard the place, they crossed their spears like usual before saying the same kind of sentence.

“State your intentions for entering this town.”

However, this time both of the guards had a slightly confused look on their faces while looking at the unusual duo.

Right in front of them were Aya, and Hiroki by his side, wearing almost identical clothing and a dark cloak that covered most of their bodies and hair. However, if someone would look closely at them, they could spot the white hair of the two.

“I'm an adventurer in this town.” 

Aya softly spoke before giving one of the guards her card as an adventurer. 

The guard seemed to recognize the name and figure on the card. That's why he gave the card back before turning his gaze to the taller figure with similar clothing. 

“May I see some sort of identification card?” 

The guard inquired about the slightly suspicious guy, who had hidden his face and hair with his cloak.

“Ah, I'm sorry, but I don't have any identification cards with me. I am a wandering merchant, and I happened to get robbed of all my belongings and my identification card.”

And as he said that, Hiroki slightly raised his head and revealed a wry smile on his face while trying to act like a victim who couldn't even protect himself. But at that moment, the guard noticed the white hair and deep red eyes of the individual, who seemed to be hiding them on purpose.

“.....that look…..” 

The guard softly said before his attention was once again shifted by the girl, who had not entered the gate yet.

“What he said is true. I happened to meet him on my way back here, and he seemed lost after he was assaulted by a group of weird robbers.” Aya tried to back Hiroki up.

“I see….”

The guard rubbed his chin in thought, as if he were trying to think of something. He did feel worried, however, he tried his best to remain calm.

“Did those robbers perhaps have any sort of description?” The other guard asked.

“My memory is a bit fuzzy since I was really scared at that time. But if I remember correctly, they were wearing wolf heads to hide themselves and attack from any hidden spot.” Hiroki explained with a smile on his face.

“You might’ve encountered the wanted bandits that call themselves, ‘The thieving wolves’” The guard said. “However, I must ask you one last question before heading inside…”

The guard's eyes narrowed as he looked closely at Hiroki's appearance.

“Are you…. a demon?” The guard asked, his hand slightly trembling at the thought of getting an answer back.

There was a slight silence from everyone, including the worried-looking Aya, who was thinking that they were busted. 

Aya was already seen as a normal human, and she was recognized by the guards. That's why she wasn't considered an immediate threat but simply an unfortunate event. 

But Hiroki, on the other hand, had red eyes and pale white hair, to the point where he seemed closest to a description of a demon. The guards getting worried and scared at this unusual sight was something that was normal for people who hadn't heard of demons for hundreds of years.

“Ah, I'm sorry if I’ve startled you.” Hiroki apologized before pulling down his hoodie and revealing his white hair and pale white skin, combined with his sharp red eyes.

Both of the guards were startled by this revelation to the point where they clenched their spears in fright. 

However, none dared intimidate the guy in front of them in case he was really a demon. They both knew that demons in the past were terrifyingly powerful beings. None of them would be able to stand against.

“I'm not a demon, nor am I related to demons. My hair became like this due to a curse while I was researching for new products that were related to my merchandise.” 

Hiroki explained to the tensed guards.

“The curse doesn't affect anyone else. However, it still brings me trouble while I travel around the world in order to find a cure. I hope that both of you understand my situation. That adventurer over there is proof of that.”

What Hiroki was saying made some sense. However, they still felt like something was missing. The guards couldn't tell whether Hiroki was lying because he was way too comfortable while speaking, and he didn't seem the slightest bit worried. 

What should they do? Do they report this? FIght this demon in disguise and alarm everyone? Those were the thoughts going through their heads in those few seconds.

“What he’s stating is the truth.” 

However, in the next second, both of the guards looked to their sides to see who had said that. 

It was a tall knight in a red uniform who had a soft expression on his face. Both of the guards knew this knight very well. That's why they tensed up before saluting him.

“S-sir Ryosaki! We didn't know you were here.” One of the guards deepened his voice and straightened his back to show respect.

“I'm preparing to leave this town; that's why. Also, there's no need to be this tense when I’m around. I'm just another swordsman like anyone else.” The knight smiled as he saw the excited guards give him this much respect.

“Not at all, Sir! You are the figure of strength in our kingdom. This is the least we can do.”

“That's right! We cannot lower your title like that!”

Both of the guards responded to the kind knight. However, after a few more seconds of breathing, they all turned back to Hiroki.

“Sir, what should we do with him? He has no identification cards or proof of not being a demon. Can we really trust him?” One of the guards asked.

"I have been blessed with the ability to spot any monsters or spies and even sense when someone is lying. That's why I'm confident in saying that this man here is innocent," the knight responded with a soft smile on his face. "He seems to have been affected by something unfortunate, much like Miss Aya and myself."

“If Sir Ryosaki says so, it would certainly lift a huge burden from us.” One of the guards said as he bowed.

“You’re welcome.” The knight replied.

With the misunderstanding cleared up, Hiroki and Aya walked ahead of the knight to thank him for his help.

“I appreciate what you’ve done for a complete stranger like me.” Hiroki thanked him with the same kind of fake smile on his face.

“No, I'm glad that I could help out. There’s no need to thank me. I'm simply doing my duty as a knight.”

Hiroki narrowed his eyes for a bit before walking inside the town in order not to bother the guards while they did their job. Even Aya was right by Hiroki’s side in case something happened. 

After noticing that Aya was standing close to Hiroki, the knight followed to ask something before everyone would walk to their own stuff. Both Hiroki and Aya noticed him, which is why they waited to see what he wanted.

“Miss Aya, I'm sure that you were informed of the tournament that will be held in Holl Town. If you want, I have arranged a carriage that will send us there today.”

After a moment of silence, Aya looked straight into the knight's face with an expressionless face.

“I appreciate your offer, but I cannot go with you. I still have some work to do in the guild.”

“If that's so, then the next time we’ll be meeting is when the tournament will be held. However, please do not hesitate to come into contact with me. I would very gladly be happy to welcome you to my residence.” 

The knight spoke before his gaze shifted towards Hiroki.

“.....”

Hiroki had already covered his hair with his fake cloak. The knight understood the reason behind such measurements, which is why he didn't inquire about his unfortunate situation.

“I think I didn't catch your name.” The knight showed a smile as he asked Hiroki.

“Hiroki. You can call me Hiroki.” Hiroki responded with a hint in his voice that showed no interest in this conversation.

“Very well. Then, Hiroki. It was nice meeting you.” The knight softly smiled. “And I hope that you find a cure for your curse as well.”

“I appreciate it.” Hiroki blankly responded.

“Then, if you’ll excuse me. I think my carriage just arrived.” The knight said before going towards a carriage that stopped on his side.

And so, both Hiroki and Aya watched as Ryosaki got on a fancy-looking carriage before heading out of town. 

While Aya seemed a bit relieved that both of them made it inside the town, Hiroki seemed very quiet as his gaze didn't separate the carriage, which moved away…

Hiroki had come to several conclusions before thinking to himself with a rather stern expression. 

‘....I can’t appraise his status….’ 

That was the single thing that remained in his mind.

One thing leads to another.


A special thanks to all of my Patreons for the support. Your generosity keeps me going!

⌈ Up to 20 chapters ahead are available on → Patreon ! ⌋

Also, don't forget to bookmark and favorite the chapter if you enjoyed it. 

✦ ✦

    Link Tree   /   Community Server

 

 

22